Dining in Takoma Park

So, I lived on Flower near Washington Adventist from 1985-1999. We used to get pizza from Giorgio's Pizza (Flower at Erie), which had puzzles all over the walls, and where you could get things like octopus and zucchini on your pizza - exotic for the 80s. I am sad to see that it is now a Pizza Movers, but then the original Giorgio family moved out and sold it to someone else in the 90s anyway, and I'm not surprised that it has moved on.

However, it looks like there is now a small tea house around the corner on Erie, NaTra Teas, has anyone been there? It is a bit of an odd location, but maybe the college two blocks down will help them stay in business.

Takoma Park, eh? I grew up near Piney Branch and Flower, had a paper route down Flower (from Domer) to Carroll Avenue and remember cruising the 'Hampshire Mo at New Hampshire and East West.

In 1964.

Goldie Hawn lived on Piney Branch near Takoma Jr. High, Connie Chung and Ben Stein weren't too far away.

I haven't been back in thirty years.

In part because when I was in high school at Blair I once hit a ball about 400 feet from the jungle gym on Garland Avenue (near Domer) and broke the third floor window in an apartment at the far end of the field. Sort of a legendary achievment for the time but it took three weeks of my paper route to pay for the damned window which I proudly admitted breaking!

Then, we would go to Ledo's (still there) for pizza, Crisfield's (for crab stuffed flounder, Norfolk style and Chincoteaque oysters ((still there)) ((Crisfield was a "cheap" alternative to O'Donnell's in downtown which had just opened an outpost in Bethesda; of course both are long gone)), Gifford's (closed but the exact same ice cream is in Montgomery Hills at the Caribbean outpost whose owner once made ALL of Gifford's ice cream. Ask for a Swiss sundae-it's the exact same!) and, today, Mr. Landrum's outpost in Silver Spring.

Takoma Park, eh? Brings back memories...

Reading this thread only underscores how much faster time accelerates as we age.  Not just that I wrote this almost ten years ago but rather that, then, I was writing about forty years earlier.  I could write about restaurants and carryouts that were there in the '50's and '60's but I have no idea if any of them are still around.

Still, it's been a long time since I drove anywhere near Piney Branch and Flower let alone Carroll and Ethan Allen.  All the more reason for a long overdue visit in the next few days.

• Like 2