Applebee's - Sex NASCAR Harry Potter Paris Hilton - Ha Ha Ha, Now It Will Come Up on Google

Appleby's Hell

Was out in Chantilly yesterday for the gun show, and my buddy and I were really hungry so we decided to go to Appleby's only because we hoped it would work in a pinch. So go in and get sat, then waiter who might be about 20 comes to table to take order. We ordered the boneless chicken wings, then both got burgers, one coke and one diet coke. When I asked that my burger be cooked medium and with the barbeque sauce on the side, he tells me that he thinks they have to cook it medium-well, but he will check with the manager. As for the buffalo tenders he goes into lenghty explanation of mild vs spicy. I opt for spicy. About five minutes later, he brings the sodas to the table, asking who gets diet-regular, we tell him. About ten minutes later the burgers come to the table. I looked at him and inquired as to the whereabouts of the buffalo tenders. DEER IN THE HEADLIGHT LOOK. Oh, do you guys still want those he asked, n ot quite sure himself. Yes, I say as I ask him for soda refills for both of us. Start in on burger and notice that sauce is on the side, yet also on the burger! My buddy ordered the same burger and got no sauce at all. He surived. Walking dead returns with the sodas only to auction them off. The kid only had 2 tables to deal with. The funny thing was this was kind of enjoyable to experience, with his 2.3 minute responses. Buffalo tenders come out near completion of the burgers and we start eating them. No more than 4 minutes had passed when Keeanu comes back and asked if were done. A simple no is my response, but I'm thinking that this guy is Agraria/Extra Virgin waiter material. Check is dropped about 10 minutes after that and the bill is $25.34 and "I'll take that when your ready" is gladly optioned to us. We throw down $40.00-2 twenty's and take a bet as to whether or not he is going to ask us if we want change. Personally I feel a 60% tip was a bit much, but who am I to question. Sure enough, he picks up the check and asks the million dollar question--" do you guys need change", trying not to either laugh/grab him by the neck and shake him, I just said Yes. It's always a roll of the dice in these places, and the meal was what we expected-decent for what we ordered. He was no Justin Guthrie, but hey, who is. wink.gif

Start in on burger and notice that sauce is on the side, yet also on the burger! My buddy ordered the same burger and got no sauce at all.

Um, the sauce on the side was for the sauceless burger your buddy got, which should have been yours?

I ate at an Applebee's once, and that was once too often. God what a hole.

I once went to the Applebees next to the State Theatre in Falls Church....We hoped to have a couple beers and some appetizers prior to a concert We placed an initial orderfor a round of beers and some wings, then our "waiter" disappeared (along with any other staff). After admiring the stylish decor for over 20minutes we decided to leave. Maybe the curbside pickup is the way to eat good in the neighborhood....

Applebee's is one of our regular lunch outings places at work. There are very few non-fast food places around us. It is definitely growing on me. You've got a nice range of items so everyone can find something. They have a few tasty salads (spinach salad with grilled shrimp and a warm bacon vinaigrette) that you can get full or half portions of, burgers, sandwiches, and I've even seen a co-worker order a steak. Which was pushing it for me but she seemed to really like it. The Applebee's near me is used to the lunch rush. You can easily get in and out, even with a crowd, in under an hour. They split the bill into individual tickets without a fuss (even with 10 people). And I have yet to have an on the side or substitution messed up. Yeah, we need to tell them who gets what. But it is Applebee's. And they give me another iced tea in a to go cup. And it is much, much better then Quizno's.

They have a few tasty salads (spinach salad with grilled shrimp and a warm bacon vinaigrette)

I eat "composed" salads for lunch probably three times a week and I've found that the chains actually do on OK job with them. In fact most independents don't really do these that often.

Of course we're not talking about organic microgreens, hierloom tomatoes and 100 year old basamic, but as long as they aren't using old bagged lettuces, for a Cobb or BBQ chicken salad places like Champs, or Applebees or even On the Border are fairly good bets.

I once went to the Applebees next to the State Theatre in Falls Church....We hoped to have a couple beers and some appetizers prior to a concert We placed an initial orderfor a round of beers and some wings, then our "waiter" disappeared (along with any other staff). After admiring the stylish decor for over 20minutes we decided to leave. Maybe the curbside pickup is the way to eat good in the neighborhood....

That Applebee's sits on the site of a beloved local hangout called Mountain Jack's. mad.gif

Applebee's truly blows. The classic example of "corporate" running the show.

I say bring on the Applebee's, the Champ's, the Chili's, and the like!

The more folks that dine at these establishments, the shorter my wait is at the places that I want to eat! laugh.gif

Yeah...it's easier to get a seat at Palena Cafe on Thursdays because it's $5 Chicken Fried Steakfish Xtravaganza at Applebees, so the punters are there instead of taking up precious bar stools! tongue.gif

Just for the heck of it, sometimes I'll go to the oldest extant restaurant in this forum (last night, for example, I went to Chi-Cha Lounge which I'll recap in the short).

There is, however, something that I refuse to do.

A volunteer is requested to bring the next-oldest thread to the forefront.

I recently ate at Apelbee's -- in Rexburg, Idaho. Turns out it is the only place in a Mormon-dominated county which serves beer and wine. The wine list was short.

I recently ate at Apelbee's -- in Rexburg, Idaho. Turns out it is the only place in a Mormon-dominated county which serves beer and wine. The wine list was short.

I realize that I learn far more here than I contribute, but was it really a good idea to encourage bumping up threads like this? smile.png

I realize that I learn far more here than I contribute, but was it really a good idea to encourage bumping up threads like this? :)

Of course. It reminds us all that no matter how "refined" our tastes have become, there is a whole universe out there of places which are considered "fine dining" or "special occasion" for the vast majority of the population. And with which modern chefs have to compete for attention. Not to mention price level. Have I told you about my recent experience with Cracker Barrel? (I had no say in that particular venue.)

I say this as someone who, as a child, crossed the USA by car on several occasions and ate in many, many independent establishments. They were relatively inexpensive and much better than any of these chains and reflected the local influences. Of course, the microwave oven hadn't been invented back then, nor the frozen food industry to any extent. Do I think something precious has been lost? You betcha.

Heads up to anyone considering heading to Applebees: it is a bit misleading as they serve neither apples nor bees. They just aren't on the menu.

I bring this up as an older thread for "Black Hog BBQ" in Frederick noted that they didn't serve meat from endangered Black Hogs and thus the place should be avoided. And so, since there are some that have such rules, it should be known to those that Applebee's is similarly confusing.

(as if mocking us, Panda Express even shows us pictures of Pandas - but not a single shred of Panda loin, Panda burger or even Panda soup.)

Heads up to anyone considering heading to Applebees: it is a bit misleading as they serve neither apples nor bees. They just aren't on the menu.

I bring this up as an older thread for "Black Hog BBQ" in Frederick noted that they didn't serve meat from endangered Black Hogs and thus the place should be avoided. And so, since there are some that have such rules, it should be known to those that Applebee's is similarly confusing.

(as if mocking us, Panda Express even shows us pictures of Pandas - but not a single shred of Panda loin, Panda burger or even Panda soup.)

Its kinda like Good Stuff Eatery .....

Dear god, I don't know if I'll be able to stop laughing before I go to bed.

Dear god, I don't know if I'll be able to stop laughing before I go to bed.

The sole criterion here for one-liner posts (dealing with whether they survive the night, or are deleted) is quite simple: they have to make the Laugh Committee laugh. The laugh committee is a committee of one, and by golly if I, erm, the Committee didn't have one good hell of a chuckle over this one.

Well done, old chap Parkwster, well done.

This is funnier every time I read it. But to bring thread back on topic, sometimes Applebee's might be your only option so you do your best to pick carefully. I travel frequently to rural areas for my work, and say one arrives in Galax, VA after the only local restaurants have already closed for the evening, your choices are Applebee's or buying groceries at Walmart, Applebee's wins. Start with a cold beer, since they actually usually get that right and sometimes have decent beer available, and get a burger or fish and chips or something equally simple. Not your best meal ever, but passable. And then toast with your colleagues that we live where we have many more and better options available on a daily basis, and that our towns and industries have not been so battered by imports that many of the restaurants and other small businesses have closed. So, where is the Chili's thread...

Of course. It reminds us all that no matter how "refined" our tastes have become, there is a whole universe out there of places which are considered "fine dining" or "special occasion" for the vast majority of the population. And with which modern chefs have to compete for attention. Not to mention price level. Have I told you about my recent experience with Cracker Barrel? (I had no say in that particular venue.)

I disagree that modern chefs have to compete with Applebee's (or Cracker Barrel, or Chili's, or or or). They are marketing to the people that are interested in dining as entertainment, have the disposable income & time, and the "refined" taste to eat there. It's a two-way street - they get to take our cash, and we get to congratulate ourselves on how much better we are than the uneducated masses.

There is an entire continent out there that probably doesn't give a rat's ass about "fine dining," and even if it did, doesn't have the coin to spend triple digits on a meal. As for corporate food establishments...I've driven though many communities where the opportunity to sit down at Denny's instead of shouting my order into a microphone from the front seat of the car is a welcome change. Most of the quirky local places with homemade food are long gone - and I would argue that most probably weren't that great to begin with.

Last time I was at Applebees, about 5 years ago, I ordered the Quesadilla Burger. I figured "when in Rome." It wasn't bad; I've had worse meals at a food truck. And I got to dine surrounded by teenage couples dressed to the nines having the requisite awkward pre-prom dinner date.

I disagree that modern chefs have to compete with Applebee's (or Cracker Barrel, or Chili's, or or or). They are marketing to the people that are interested in dining as entertainment, have the disposable income & time, and the "refined" taste to eat there. It's a two-way street - they get to take our cash, and we get to congratulate ourselves on how much better we are than the uneducated masses.

There is an entire continent out there that probably doesn't give a rat's ass about "fine dining," and even if it did, doesn't have the coin to spend triple digits on a meal. As for corporate food establishments...I've driven though many communities where the opportunity to sit down at Denny's instead of shouting my order into a microphone from the front seat of the car is a welcome change. Most of the quirky local places with homemade food are long gone - and I would argue that most probably weren't that great to begin with.

Your first point is fair, of course. Except that our beloved city gets tourists who suffer from sticker-shock at anything other than the chains. As for your second point, I recall many local, quirky places had some really delightful food. Until the corporate takeover of everything, those were the only kinds of places to eat at in El Paso and in small towns all across the country. There were some really excellent (and not that expensive) restaraunts in Juarez, but not any more, alas. These days the local, quirky, homemade food emporia are usually ethnic places. I'll take the lowliest noodle parlor over Applebee's and its kin any day.

ETA: This has made me wonder about the affect of the chains on local restaurants vis-a-vis expectations. I'm not sure if it's easy to be an independent place in Podunk surrounded by chains. Has there been a dumbing down?

These days the local, quirky, homemade food emporia are usually ethnic places. I'll take the lowliest noodle parlor over Applebee's and its kin any day.

I definitely agree. Unfortunately many of the ethnic places seem to be succumbing to the Sysco-fication of the world. sad.png

As for your ETA...I don't know if it's a dumbing down so much as diminishing returns. I can imagine it's much, much easier to operate with a corporate structure propping you up, especially in smaller towns.

I recall many local, quirky places had some really delightful food. Until the corporate takeover of everything, those were the only kinds of places to eat at in El Paso and in small towns all across the country. There were some really excellent (and not that expensive) restaraunts in Juarez, but not any more, alas. These days the local, quirky, homemade food emporia are usually ethnic places. I'll take the lowliest noodle parlor over Applebee's and its kin any day.

You ought to make your way down the road 40 miles to Las Cruces and environs. Plenty of great local, quirky places there! :)

There is an entire continent out there that probably doesn't give a rat's ass about "fine dining," and even if it did, doesn't have the coin to spend triple digits on a meal.

Agreed. Most people (literally - the majority of humans) are not interested in "fine" dining, regardless of price point. The reason is simple: they prefer consistency.

Applebees is consistent in three ways:

1. it serves the same stuff they grew up on

2. it serves the same kinds of things that other chains serve

3. it serves the same dishes day after day, year after year.

4. it serves them the same way every time, in every location.

It is about safety, and when it comes to food, most people will take safety over any other factor. And I believe this is true at most any income level except maybe the highest brackets that can make expensive places their "old standbys". I believe a middle class person is most likely to want to say "it is Friday night, I'm going to treat myself and I know exactly what I want - I don't want to risk botching it and I don't want to try something new." So, off to Applebees. Again.

Agreed. Most people (literally - the majority of humans) are not interested in "fine" dining, regardless of price point. The reason is simple: they prefer consistency.

Applebees is consistent in three ways:

1. it serves the same stuff they grew up on

2. it serves the same kinds of things that other chains serve

3. it serves the same dishes day after day, year after year.

4. it serves them the same way every time, in every location.

It is about safety, and when it comes to food, most people will take safety over any other factor. And I believe this is true at most any income level except maybe the highest brackets that can make expensive places their "old standbys". I believe a middle class person is most likely to want to say "it is Friday night, I'm going to treat myself and I know exactly what I want - I don't want to risk botching it and I don't want to try something new." So, off to Applebees. Again.

This is all truly correct, I'm sure. What I'm wondering, and didn't exactly put this well in my "dumbing down" remark, is how much local cuisine is being lost to the corporate mentality? Every region, and sub-region, has always had its own specialties and tastes, which is why there were (are?) so many interesting Mom-and-Pop places to eat. It is those places, and the loss there of, which concern me most. The chains have taught the vast majority out there to prize food that is not prepared well, and is often not very nutritious too boot.

This is all truly correct, I'm sure. What I'm wondering, and didn't exactly put this well in my "dumbing down" remark, is how much local cuisine is being lost to the corporate mentality? Every region, and sub-region, has always had its own specialties and tastes, which is why there were (are?) so many interesting Mom-and-Pop places to eat. It is those places, and the loss there of, which concern me most. The chains have taught the vast majority out there to prize food that is not prepared well, and is often not very nutritious too boot.

Well, my belief is there's good news there - that we've reached and passed the nadir of whatever that impact is to independantly owned offerings. There will always be a place for applebee's, TGI's, etc - but at the risk of sounding like an armchair undergraduate, I believe the shift in land use planning direction to more urban designs and less suburban sprawl actually can help the locally-owned operation. I think that eventually convenience will trump consistency ("hey, let's try the noodle place at the end of the street vs. getting in the car to go to Applebee's") and eventually those people will find that the local mom-and-pop can be consistent too. Essentially...there's good reason why Applebee's isn't in downtowns...and as more people are in downtowns, there's less Applebee's impact. My four cents (which is twice what people will tolerate)

Your first point is fair, of course. Except that our beloved city gets tourists who suffer from sticker-shock at anything other than the chains. As for your

A few years ago I ran a get-together for our MMORPG guild (because I - and they - are huge nerds). For the first night we were going to go out and have a dinner somewhere.

Now folks were from all over the country, all different types of areas from rural to urban, different expectations and the such. So of course the first thing that came up was "let's do dinner somewhere safe like Chili's or Applebee's".

That boggled me! Why would you want to come to DC - for some folks, for the very first time - and just eat at the same place you do at home?! But they knew what they would get, and it felt safe. Also, they were worried about sticker shock.

Instead, I showed them a number of local places that had similar prices on similar foods. We ended up doing Old Ebbitt Grill. Which, while often derided as a tourist trap, ended up being perfect for our large group. They got to experience a Washington institution (such as it is) and at the same time have familiar choices that didn't break their budget if they chose to get them. And the service was fantastic.

(Over the course of the weekend we also did a reception with Julia's Empanadas and a big cook-out - I can't remember where else, if anywhere, we went that wasn't local to Falls Church at the time but that was before I started reading donrockwell.com. :D )

ETA: This has made me wonder about the affect of the chains on local restaurants vis-a-vis expectations. I'm not sure if it's easy to be an independent place in Podunk surrounded by chains. Has there been a dumbing down?

There is a direct parallel between this, and Starbucks out-marketing independent coffee houses, also Wal-Mart undercutting small shops into oblivion.

I made it a point today to go to Umami Tea and Coffee and give them my business, instead of going to Starbucks.

Am I in a minority? All you need to do is count the number of cookie-cutter chains in this world, and the mindless golems that flock to them.

Suggested reading (*) for anyone remotely interested in the topic. (I shop Amazon, but it seemed inappropriate to link to it here.)

(*) And yes, you may notice "an influence" in writing style. :)

Now folks were from all over the country, all different types of areas from rural to urban, different expectations and the such. So of course the first thing that came up was "let's do dinner somewhere safe like Chili's or Applebee's".

That boggled me! Why would you want to come to DC - for some folks, for the very first time - and just eat at the same place you do at home?! But they knew what they would get, and it felt safe. Also, they were worried about sticker shock.

Safe- exactly. Predictable. They had a group and didn't want to risk disappointing anyone, so go right to the least common demoninator. I wrote above why the consistancy of a place like Applebee's is so important to so many. Here's the perceived risks to 'go local':
1. Prices might be much higher although the better food/service just isn't desired by everyone.
2. Dishes might be different than expected in some way. A "riff" on mac and cheese, or heavy spices everywhere, or other such unpleasant surprises.
3. The service might be bad, or worse, not what's expected. People REALLY don't like feeling confused and in need of help.
4. If no one has been there, they might make the assumption that "if it was any good, it would have become more popular and would be a chain by now. I don't want to go to a failing place, or be the guinea pig. Especially not with a group."

These are all the opposite of what the average citizen seeks when comforted by consistency.

Sometimes I'm amazed new restaurants are able to survive at all if they don't have franchising opportunities built into the business plan from day 1.

Do you ever feel like you're in a parallel universe? Have friends who Just Don't Get this food thing? I was emailing back and forth with an acquaintance (from the other hobby) about a lunch date. I asked where she'd like to go. Her reply (I swear I am not making this up):

"Well... One of my favs is Red Lobster but I can't often get anyone to go with me. We also have a Bugaboo Creek that I like. And down near you I like PF Changs. Any of the classic chains, Chilis, Ruby Tuesdays, etc. are good for me. Also up in Germantown, even further for you, is a Carraba's Italian Grill that is pretty neat. Another place near here I can't get anyone to go to is Chevy's Mexican.

I'm pretty open, myself.

Thoughts?"

Thoughts? I had some thoughts, alright.... I think we ended up at Red Lobster.

PF Changs and Red Lobster is 'pretty open' compared to others I've encountered. The asian/sea food thing is a bit off-center for them.

In fairness - I don't know what the other hobby is. But let's say we (those of us on this board) encountered a group of computer enthusiasts. I work in the IT industry but couldn't give a s**t about what PC I use - I only care that it gives me interwebs, some of my emails and the Excel/Word/etc suite. I'm pretty much like the masses in that respect.

The enthusiats would be aghast at my next PC purchase... "you spent $1000 and insisted on a Dell (Lenovo/HP/Acer/etc)???!!!??? For that $1000, you could have had a custom built whiz-banger doo-hickey like mine!!!

And I STILL wouldn't be swayed, in fact I might be more adamant about my choice. "I don't care, I don't want to think about it, I'm not looking for an 'experience', just to get through to the next task I have to do. And all else being equal, I'll choose one from a company big enough to maybe provide warranty service if I need it."

I think that's how many people see meals. It's just nourishment until the next meal. They don't want to think about it - it is a means to some other end. I get it and don't try to fight it - you really can't. And shouldn't.

In fairness - I don't know what the other hobby is. <snip>
I think that's how many people see meals. It's just nourishment until the next meal. They don't want to think about it - it is a means to some other end. I get it and don't try to fight it - you really can't. And shouldn't.

The one referenced in my signature line, but it doesn't matter. Same as your example. And I agree. And IIRC she was delighted to have someone agree to go to Red Lobster with her...

That's how I am some days. I don't want to think, or explore, or whatever - I just want to grab a bite to eat so I can go back to whatever it is that I was doing.

(Speaking of which, it's 12:45 and I haven't eaten yet today...but I do feel like exploring. Where shall I eat in my neighborhood today?)

...That boggled me! Why would you want to come to DC - for some folks, for the very first time - and just eat at the same place you do at home?! But they knew what they would get, and it felt safe. Also, they were worried about sticker shock.

FWIW, I think the above two snippets near fully explain the phenomenon. To me, no different really than any other hobby or area of interest. Of course, we all have to eat versus collect stamps, watch Fellini or even drive. But that doesn't mean anyone has to particularly care about it: jayandstacey's point. And, no right or wrong in that.

But, as with anything, there's always opportunity to persuade, discover and explore. As one who's "into" whatever, can be a great ambassador, role model or friend to others who aren't...yet. Like what SeanMike ended up doing. Huge part of great relationships and a full life.

There is a direct parallel between this, and Starbucks out-marketing independent coffee houses, also Wal-Mart undercutting small shops into oblivion.

I made it a point today to go to Umami Tea and Coffee and give them my business, instead of going to Starbucks.

<snip>

Suggested reading (*) for anyone remotely interested in the topic. (I shop Amazon, but it seemed inappropriate to link to it here.)

With you on the coffee point but, crap, here on the board, we've written volumes about Sidamo, Chinatown, Dolcezza, Caffe Amouri, Qualia, Pound, Quartermaine, Peregrine, Teaism, etc, etc. Lots and lots of super independent, locally-owned options covering most neighborhoods. Last time I checked, their numbers were growing while SBUX has been closing stores. All is not lost in coffee. Books are a different deal though.

Don, given your leanings like most here on the board, I'll respectfully submit that you really should be shopping at Politics & Prose instead of the online Starbucks of literature. P&P is the last great hope for independent bookstores in DC and maybe the country. And, they sell online too by partnering with google and from which they can profit. And, they also serve some damn fine joe downstairs. I will link to them here. Coincidentally, the feature story on the P&P homepage right now:

So, go to P&P, buy books, have coffee and then check online with them for whatever may not be in stock. C'mon man! ;)

(Speaking of which, it's 12:45 and I haven't eaten yet today...but I do feel like exploring. Where shall I eat in my neighborhood today?)

Not sure where you live but there's this fairly new rockin' place, locally-owned, in Logan Circle called Pearl Dive :)

But, as with anything, there's always opportunity to persuade, discover and explore. As one who's "into" whatever, can be a great ambassador, role model or friend to others who aren't...yet. Like what SeanMike ended up doing. Huge part of great relationships and a full life.

Indeed. In fact, as I enjoyed bruch at Tower Oaks Lodge today, it dawned on me that it would be the perfect kind of "bridge" place between a Red Lobster type and....us. If they still have no desire to explore, so be it - at least the food and service were above the Darden fare. But we also have to keep in mind that they may not wish to move away from Red Lobster, any more than I want to buy special stamps or hang on to them (despite my stamp collecting friends).

My family has a Japanese Steak House chain we often visit for extended family gatherings. The little kids love the fire and the onion choo-choo train. That evening, I become sick, every time. Oh well, I try meekly to change it but...there are more important things. And no matter what I'll be hungry again in 12 hours.

An interesting article from WSJ about chain restaurants and how they are changing and broadening their menus.

"Over the past two years, Applebee's has changed about 80% of its menu. It revamped everything from its rice (instant is now long-grain) to the addition of more New Orleans-inspired dishes."

Maybe its less bad now? Although its disconcerting they were serving instant rice in the first place...

I think you should appreciate any group is trying to get better at what they do regardless of what that is. I know what you're saying but I think as we raise the bar collectively we challenge everyone to raise their game. Don't look down on Applebee's for trying to get better. Understand they are paying attention.

I think you should appreciate any group is trying to get better at what they do regardless of what that is. I know what you're saying but I think as we raise the bar collectively we challenge everyone to raise their game. Don't look down on Applebee's for trying to get better. Understand they are paying attention.

Better? Or more profitable? The article seemed to indicate that menu changes and other culinary effort results are announced to financial analysts, not others.

To me, the difference starts with distributed ownership, especially when the chain is publicly held. The result is that profit is the end and all efforts focus toward it. Of course, a single-owner restaurant must also be profitable to survive, but it can also ride out more than one quarter to get to profitable, it can take the stance that "make quality and profit will come" and other such differences. A place like Applebee's, on the other hand, will focus on pasta as it provides greater profit margins over protein...and they seek quality by setting an 'acceptable' bar, then hammering away at consistency to ensure people occasionally return.

The article pointed to a few reasons behind this - like the woman who goes to Olive Garden because it is the exact same every time (and she meant that in a good way) and how recipes in chains often end in cheese sauce to help boost popularity (or something to that effect.) I believe most single-owner restaurants would rather lose the business than become known for those traits.

My point is that Applebees isn't really getting "better". It is simply chaging to please the masses and to squeeze as hard as possible on that magic economics 101 intersection of maximum guests, maximum revenue and minimal cost.

I don't own a restaurant or work in one. Am I wrong here? Maybe I am.

And to be clear, I'm not anti-Applebees, and I understand it is easy to take pop-shots at them. They are masters at their craft - it just seems a slightly different craft than non-chains are practicing.

I ate at an Applebee's once, and what I was served didn't even seem like food. Did I miss something?

I dunno. A few jobs ago, I was hired by a Very Big Corporation who had just acquired a Spunky Young Start-Up. Two years later they suddenly shuttered my office, ordered the developers to move north or else, and laid off the rest of the staff (including me).

As a futile gesture of sympathy, the VBC manager (who knew all along) took everybody out to Applebee's. To punish him, I ordered the steak since it was the most expensive item on the menu. Instead, I was the one who was punished by the thinnest, toughest, grisliest piece of tasteless meat that I have ever eaten. Given the circumstances, the meal made a bad situation worse.

So in the end, bad food does nobody good. And who deserves quality food, the diner who can send his filet back because it is medium instead of medium well, or the family who goes out to Applebee's because at least they can get out of the house for once?

Perhaps we all deserve good meals.

Better? Or more profitable? The article seemed to indicate that menu changes and other culinary effort results are announced to financial analysts, not others.

To me, the difference starts with distributed ownership, especially when the chain is publicly held. The result is that profit is the end and all efforts focus toward it.

Well of course! That's the American way. You aren't one of those anti-American independent thinkers now, are you?

Safe- exactly. Predictable. They had a group and didn't want to risk disappointing anyone, so go right to the least common demoninator. I wrote above why the consistancy of a place like Applebee's is so important to so many. <snip>

These are all the opposite of what the average citizen seeks when comforted by consistency.

Sometimes I'm amazed new restaurants are able to survive at all if they don't have franchising opportunities built into the business plan from day 1.

Consistency is subordinate to cash flow/profit/stock valuation when considering chains versus independents and the like. In other words, certain businesses (McDonalds being the ultimate example) are very profitable due to their ability to profit from providing a consistent, desired and cost-effective offering. It's too narrow to see consistency (or franchising) as the key to their success because it understates the case. Many franchised businesses fail (remember the recent "Cereal Bowl" experiment in Cleveland Park?). And many independent businesses (e.g., Palena, Full Kee, Inn at Little Washington) thrive. The formula for a business to succeed is, of course, multivariate with product, management, financing, marketing, sourcing, etc, all playing large roles.

For the chains that have succeeded, there are many factors involved beyond "consistency:"

- financing. most are large public companies with the huge resource advantages that structure conveys. As just one example, they can procure basic inputs at much lower prices than smaller, "better" restaurants. They can issue new stock to fund expansion with 200 new restaurants ("units") in a single year. Etc.

- value and affordability. they provide a high-value offering as most consumers perceive it (not some/most on this thread obviously). this is a huge deal. it's simply not affordable for millions of people to seek out great independent restaurants or even to buy fresh vegetables at the market. Lots of movies and books on this. It's not a problem with a clear solution now (subsidies, economy, etc.) but large chains fill some of the gap between what is good and what is affordable. This is a giant societal problem.

- professional management. because the chains are big companies with great resources, they tend to have professional managers who excel at managing costs, marketing and selling, hiring and retaining and managing the supply chain. These are areas critical for any business, however big or small, and can be very challenging for small independent restaurants, who may offer great food...for awhile before they have to close up.

From the comments there: "Are all foodies this hateful?"

I'm starting to wonder. :-/ Maybe not hateful, I worry about crossing the line from "enlightened consumer" to "elitist douchebag."

I've written on dr.com before about labels. As in, I think they are often unhelpful, especially for ones that are either charged or a rorschach test. "Foodies" is a wonderful example of the latter. All kinds of attributes are attached to that label; seemingly more negative than positive. Certain people are hateful while others aren't. Blindingly obvious point. Writing a negative article about "foodies" is a great way to attract readers. But I'm not sure it does anything to simplify, unify, educate or solve problems. People have always been and always will be interested in food as with anything else. Some of them will be jerks and many of them will not be. One can be very knowledgeable and passionate about restaurants and food and not be "elitist." Similarly, one can be a real jerk without knowing much about the thing that ostensibly drives the arrogance. One thing has nothing to do with the other.