Cheesetique, Owner Jill Erber's Fromagerie in Several Virginia Locations

mdt

Planning for Christmas eve and I want a few cheese to nibble on while watching A Charlie Brown Christmas. 

How long does cheese last?  If I go on Thursday will I be okay for Saturday night?  What about Wednesday?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Your cheese bought on Thursday will be fine on Saturday. Just leave it wrapped up as it was at the store. Keep it in the vegetable bin in your fridge, which has more humidity. Take it out of the fridge on Saturday afternoon.

Having it keep until Wednesday is pushing it for some styles, but not all. Ask at the shop for some selections that you plan to keep for a week before you eat.

I had a short business trip yesterday without any reading material. Flipping through Southwest Airlines' Spirit magazine I came across a one page write up on Ricotta Salata featuring Cheestique and advice from Jill.

On another food note - interesting cover story with the magazine's cover girl Rachel Ray being ranked last among ten TV chefs. Encouragingly to me, Jacques Pepin ended up #1 in their points system.

Good issue to pick up if you're sitting on a Soutwest plane.

Edited by bilrus

Any love for the carless? Does Metro drop off nearby?

If the weather's nice, it's only about one or one and a half miles from the Braddock Road metro, straight down Mount Vernon Ave. I can't say that you could really make a whole day out of it, but you pop in on a Saturday afternoon and check out the retro fashions at Remix, have lunch at Taqueira Poblano, dessert at the Dairy Godmother (closed for the month, though), get some cheese at Cheesetique and then add to your wine collection at Planet Wine. All of these fine establishments can be found on Mt. Vernon Ave.

No Metro in the area, but it looks like the 10A and 10P busses will get you there (using Crystal City as my starting point).

?

The shops in Del Ray are emminently walkable from Braddock Road metro for most people. It'll take about 15 minutes to get to Cheestique on the shoe leather express.

Take the bus back and forth from Braddock Road.  More options going up/down Mt. Vernon Ave from there rather than Crystal City.

But...that would require me to leave Crystal City and take the bus from somewhere else. I'm already taking the bus! I hate the bus! Work with me here! :)

JPW: Really? Just 15 minutes? It seems like it would be a lot farther. That's not so bad.

Edited by shogun

JPW: Really? Just 15 minutes? It seems like it would be a lot farther.  That's not so bad.

Just ran it through mapquest.

It's about a 1/4 mile to get the front door of GW middle school from metro and then mapquest shows .77 miles to Cheesetique.

Where are you coming from? Im in Takoma Park and have been known to drive over the river just to go to Cheesetique. Fieldtrip?

I'm in Adams Morgan, but judging from my utter lack of self control around cheese, a mile walk to and from the Metro is probably a smart idea... :)

I received the latest Cheesetique newsletter today and was thrilled with the new gift suggestions. Unfortunately they don't ship. :lol: What a shame. I live/work in DC and wanted to send the cheese bucket to a contact in Mclean. It's cute enough that I might have to drive out there this weekend and deliver it personally.

They also have a new class for February. She ran this earlier for her frequent tasters and it was enjoyable.

Please join me for a special tasting event this month as Cheesetique partners with a local favorite: Rob Kingsbury, owner of Kingsbury Chocolates in Old Town Alexandria.

Rob will talk about the life of a chocolate bean – how it gets from tree to cookie. We’ll learn about (and taste, of course) different types of chocolates and chocolate treats. As most of you probably know, Rob’s are the best. Naturally, cheese will also be involved – we’ll be focusing on decadent chocolate-friendly cheeses. There’s even a rumor that Rob will bring some of his famous truffles custom-made for this class!

The cost for this special event is $35 per person. Act quickly - this will fill up in no time!

The three dates are:

Sunday, February 19 at 6:00 PM

Tuesday, February 21 at 7:15 PM

Thursday, February 23 at 7:15 PM

If the weather's nice, it's only about one or one and a half miles from the Braddock Road metro, straight down Mount Vernon Ave.  I can't say that you could really make a whole day out of it, but you pop in on a Saturday afternoon and check out the retro fashions at Remix, have lunch at Taqueira Poblano, dessert at the Dairy Godmother (closed for the month, though), get some cheese at Cheesetique and then add to your wine collection at Planet Wine.  All of these fine establishments can be found on Mt. Vernon Ave.

Just make sure you do it on a Saturday because unless something has changed, Cheesetique is closed on Sunday. Dairy Godmother is closed for the month (noted above) but you could try Caboose Cafe for lunch as a somewhat lighter alternative to Taquieria Poblano with a side trip to Sundae Times for ice cream.

Just make sure you do it on a Saturday because unless something has changed, Cheesetique is closed on Sunday.  Dairy Godmother is closed for the month (noted above) but you could try Caboose Cafe for lunch as a somewhat lighter alternative to Taquieria Poblano with a side trip to Sundae Times for ice cream.

Cheestique is open at noon on Sundays. They're closed Mondays for the winter but, I suspect, will return to 7 day operation in the spring.

Cheestique is open at noon on Sundays.  They're closed Mondays for the winter but, I suspect, will return to 7 day operation in the spring.

Hmm, we were there a couple of weeks ago and I could swear that the sign in the door said they were closed on Sunday. I could be wrong (and in this case, would happily be wrong) but we ended up at Caboose Cafe and had to eat lunch because breakfast was already over. Now, on Sundays we're not early risers so I'm sure it was later than noon...but as I said, I could be wrong. Only take 5 minutes for me to drive by there and see if I'm really and truly losing it (as my wonderful +1 thinks sometimes).

Dairy Godmother is closed for the month (noted above) but you could try Caboose Cafe for lunch as a somewhat lighter alternative to Taquieria Poblano with a side trip to Sundae Times for ice cream.

Dairy Godmother was closed in January but they are open for business again (believe me, I know :lol: ), every day except Tuesdays. And Cheesetique is definitely open on Sundays.

DanielK - I (+1) am going to chocolate and cheese tasting on Thursday - let us know how it is. Sounds like it's going to be decadent and fun!

DanielK - I (+1) am going to chocolate and cheese tasting on Thursday - let us know how it is.  Sounds like it's going to be decadent and fun!

It was good, but was not my favorite tasting there. I personally found several of the cheeses overly sweet. But I ascribe this to personal taste, and not Jill's fault, as I should have expected sweeter cheeses to match the chocolate, and I just generally don't like sweet cheeses! The audience reaction seemed very positive, and my wife enjoyed the cheeses I did not (including my portion of the cheeses that I didn't care for...)

The chocolates were fabulous, there was a take-home goodie bag with more chocolate, and I did find several cheeses in the tasting that were worth buying a wedge to take home. And, of course, filled a shopping bag with other goodies from her store. In some ways I'm glad it's a 40-minute drive to get there, or I'd be a lot poorer and fatter.

Hi, all. Just so everyone's clear on the hours at Cheesetique, I'll list them here. It can be a little confusing because we have both summer and winter hours. Regardless of the season, we're always open on Sundays.

WINTER HOURS (December - May - OPEN 6 DAYS)

TUES - SAT 11AM - 7PM

SUN 12PM - 5PM

SUMMER HOURS (starting in May - OPEN 7 DAYS)

MON - FRI 11AM - 7PM

SAT 8AM - 7PM (we open early b/c of the neighboring farmers' market)

SUN 12PM - 5PM

-Jill

I was at a gathering a couple of weeks ago and it was also a chocolate tasting. Cheesetique cheeses happened to be there, too (woo hoo!). There were many sweet cheeses, including chocolate goat, to which I was a virgin previously. I was really surprised at how much I liked the White Stilton w/ Mango & Ginger. Pretty yummy stuff!

Edited by Meaghan

I was at a gallery opening a couple weeks ago and it was also a choclate tasting. There were many sweet cheeses, including chocolate goat, to which I was a virgin previously. I was really surprised at how much I liked the White Stilton w/ Mango & Ginger. Pretty yummy stuff!

A few years ago I was at the Wensleydale Creamery and they were putting really wild stuff in their cheeses that I never would have thought could work. They had lots of samples to try and to buy there. Wensleydale with carmelized onions was my favorite.

A few years ago I was at the Wensleydale Creamery and they were putting really wild stuff in their cheeses that I never would have thought could work.  They had lots of samples to try and to buy there.  Wensleydale with carmelized onions was my favorite.

Mmmm, that sounds good and reminds me. I want to have a cheese tasting fest for St. Patty's Day.

And. I'm totally down with Wallace and Gromit.

Mmmm, that sounds good and reminds me. I want to have a cheese tasting fest for St. Patty's Day.

And. I'm totally down with Wallace and Gromit.

Well, Meaghan, you're in luck! We currently have individual "Wallace and Gromit Commemorative" Wensleydale cheeses (just plain Wensleydale - no flavor). They are about 8 oz each, covered in red wax, and have a W&G label.

Additionally, we will be doing special St. Patrick's Day cheese platters in March. They will include all Irish cheeses... and maybe some English Sage Derby cause it's green :lol:

Additionally, we will be doing special St. Patrick's Day cheese platters in March. They will include all Irish cheeses... and maybe some English Sage Derby cause it's green :huh:

Which Irish cheese specifically? Please don't include the sage derby! :lol:

Which Irish cheese specifically? Please don't include the sage derby!  :lol:

Not positive on the cheeses yet - probably Cashel, Coolea, Carrigaline, Dubliner, and some more goodies (nothing too exotic). Regarding the Sage Derby, honestly, people LOVE that cheese. Plus, you can't deny that it looks seasonal :huh: Maybe I'll give people the option of including it or not...

Regarding the Sage Derby, honestly, people LOVE that cheese. Plus, you can't deny that it looks seasonal :lol: Maybe I'll give people the option of including it or not...

nah, its ok - I just get a bit sensitive to the 'paddywhackery' that accompanies St. Patricks day! I guess I should be glad that the occasion is celebrated so, erm, enthusiastically

Well, Meaghan, you're in luck! We currently have individual "Wallace and Gromit Commemorative" Wensleydale cheeses (just plain Wensleydale - no flavor). They are about 8 oz each, covered in red wax, and have a W&G label.

Additionally, we will be doing special St. Patrick's Day cheese platters in March. They will include all Irish cheeses... and maybe some English Sage Derby cause it's green :lol:

Hey, Jill?

How come the green cheese is green?

(I mean is it all sage that does that?)

And thanks for your thoughful answers to some of my earlier posts.

Edited by Meaghan

How come the green cheese is green?

(I mean is it all sage that does that?)

Hi, Meaghan...

Sage Derby is green because of chlorophyll that is added to the curd before it is pressed - that's what gives it that green veiny look. So the coloring is "natural" but still Frankenstein-esque. The natural sage which is also in the cheese (where the flavor comes from) is mixed throughout but doesn't really contribute much color.

Jill

I'm coming to get supplies for my St. Paddy's party. Will I be able to get a range of Irish cheeses, non-platter-ized?

You certainly should - as much or as little of it as you like, cut to order. The Cashel Blue is a favorite at my house ;)

You'll find lots of other fun/tasty goodies in the shop to go with your cheese too!

(don't forget to make a trip across the street to the Dairy Godmother for a sweet treat or two... <_< )

You certainly should - as much or as little of it as you like, cut to order.  The Cashel Blue is a favorite at my house ;)

You'll find lots of other fun/tasty goodies in the shop to go with your cheese too!

(don't forget to make a trip across the street to the Dairy Godmother for a sweet treat or two...  <_< )

Mmm... I'll definitely plan on getting a big hunk of that.

I cannot wait! Day o' dairy! (I really need to leave the city more often...)

Yowza. My pilgrimage to Cheesetique went swimmingly, and I now have a compelling reason to leave the city on a more regular basis!

Goldenticket, thanks for the Cashal blue recommendation--it is indeed lovely and delicious. Let me return the favor by recommending the Coolea: Also Irish, it was described by one of the clerks as one of the best cheeses she's ever tasted, and I would agree. (homina homina...)

Le Brebiou is a really young sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrenees in Italy. We don't have that one, but I have a number of other amazing choices from that same region - come in and try them. You won't be disappointed.

I think you mean the French Pyrenees.

I just wanted to let you know that the triple cream goat Jill had at the latest tasting is one of the best cheeses I've ever had in my entire life. It's totally top three with Rochetta and the dry jack that comes with me on hunting trips.

It's great alone, but trancsendent on top of a piece of toast and parsely leaves underneath poached eggs.

Seriously; run, don't walk. As of last Thursday, she only had a couple tiny wheels left...

I think you mean the French Pyrenees.

Oops - it's that pesky "Pyrenees/Piedmont" switch-a-roo. I always do that when I write too briskly <_< I meant the French Pyrenees, right on the border with Spain. But I still stand by my original point that we have AWESOME cheeses from Piedmont in northern Italy AND Pyrenees in southern France. Thanks for the heads-up - sorry for any confusion.

Goldenticket, thanks for the Cashal blue recommendation--it is indeed lovely and delicious. Let me return the favor by recommending the Coolea: Also Irish, it was described by one of the clerks as one of the best cheeses she's ever tasted, and I would agree. (homina homina...)

Glad you enjoyed your trek! Come on back when the little farmers' market is in full swing - May or so (or sooner). And thanks for the counter-rec - I have had the Coolea on a cheese plate at Restaurant Eve and, yes, it is delish!

I finally made it to Cheesetique for the first time today. We were out looking at cars nearby when I said "there's this place nearby that I have to stop by." Right after walked in, a couple with a three year old daughter entered. The little girl scrunched up her nose and said "it stinks in here." Her parents laughed and told us "she doesn't like cheese, but we do."

After a few samples, I purchased a half-pound of D'affinois with garlic. Double-cream bried for $13.50 per pound. Without even tasting it, I also took a little more than a quarter-pound of an aged provolone ($14.95 per pound), hoping that it would be as tasty as another aged provolone I'd had at Dino. Yep, it's great. Since I got home, I've eaten almost a quarter of what I bought. Should have bought more. :)

I was tempted to buy an organic blue gouda, however after I tasted it, I thought "really good, but at $23 or $24 per pound, it's not that different from other blues I can get for less."

Cheesetique also has both truffle salt and saffron salt. Interesting stuff.