Cheesetique, Owner Jill Erber's Fromagerie in Several Virginia Locations

mdt

I was tempted to buy an organic blue gouda, however after I tasted it, I thought "really good, but at $23 or $24 per pound, it's not that different from other blues I can get for less."

Ah, the perils of the organic cheese. This organic blue goat gouda is essentially a goat gouda with blue veining, a cheese which would ordinarily be an "affordable" option. However, becoming a certified organic producer is so expensive that the prices of those cheeses are necessarily much higher than otherwise. I do like to have several organic choices in the shop for those customers that demand it. But to be honest, a great number of producers are what I consider to be "natural" (no antibiotics, hormones, pesticides, etc.) AND affordable. It's the organic stamp that drives up the cost. If you want the natural benefit, stick with the American Artisans - most are all-natural as well.

Thanks!

Cheesetique and ShoeBox Oven have joined forces to create a new line of "Pao de Queijos", Brazilian mini cheese breads. Using three American Artisan cheeses, pastry goddess Krishna Brown has hand-crafted a cheese-plate-inspired pastry extravaganza. Come by the shop and grab your bag of delectable goodies while they're fresh. These rustic, cheesey, gluten-free snacks will arrive early today and we expect them to move out quickly! (Also present will be the delectable champagne chocolate cake - come and get yours before I eat them all!)

Thank you all for your wonderful feedback following the recent tasting sessions!

Jill

Cheesetique and ShoeBox Oven have joined forces to create a new line of "Pao de Queijos", Brazilian mini cheese breads. Using three American Artisan cheeses, pastry goddess Krishna Brown has hand-crafted a cheese-plate-inspired pastry extravaganza. Come by the shop and grab your bag of delectable goodies while they're fresh. These rustic, cheesey, gluten-free snacks will arrive early today and we expect them to move out quickly! (Also present will be the delectable champagne chocolate cake - come and get yours before I eat them all!)

Thank you all for your wonderful feedback following the recent tasting sessions!

Jill

This is wonderful news. Y'all I can't stop eating the Pao de Queijos. I warm them in the oven by putting them in when the oven is preheating up to 400 degrees. Then I let them go for a few minutes at 400 degrees. They are amazing.

And the champagne chocolate brownie has blown away more than a few chefs/pastry chefs to whom I have gifted them.

"First, at long last (and after endless begging from our beloved carnivore customers), we are bringing back the Cowboy Ribeyes! They should arrive at Cheesetique this weekend. Please drop me an email (jill@cheesetique.com) and let me know how many you would like so I can set them aside for you. I'll email you when they arrive so you can swing by and re-enter steak bliss! I will also add you to our "Steak List" so you'll be notified every time we're getting a new order. As any lover of the Cowboy Ribeye can attest to, these are truly the best steaks you will ever taste!

-- For those of you who are saying, "Huh? What the heck is a cowboy ribeye?", let me explain. A cowboy ribeye is a mammoth bone-in ribeye steak from Arizona. It is hormone-free, antibiotic free, and free range. The steaks weigh over a pound each and are super-thick (I call them "Fred Flintstone steaks" just to give you an idea). If you are a steak lover, look no further. I swear by these beauties. --"

[from Cheesetique's e-mail today]

The Cheese Lady is a smart one!!

Last night I dreamt I lived upstairs from Cheesetique. My fiancee and I were very poor, and she sent me down to buy a single egg. Unable to control myself, I ended up spending $500 on food. Tons and tons of cheeses, amazing meats like the cowboy ribeye, and other things that Cheesetique doesn't even have like roasted zuccini blossoms and prosciutto-wrapped figs. I felt so guilty about spending all that money when we had none that I gave all the food away to friends and people in the neighborhood. Then Yakov Smirnoff started saying in my head "In Soviet Russia, cheese tiques you!"

Last night I dreamt I lived upstairs from Cheesetique. My fiancee and I were very poor, and she sent me down to buy a single egg. Unable to control myself, I ended up spending $500 on food. Tons and tons of cheeses, amazing meats like the cowboy ribeye, and other things that Cheesetique doesn't even have like roasted zuccini blossoms and prosciutto-wrapped figs. I felt so guilty about spending all that money when we had none that I gave all the food away to friends and people in the neighborhood. Then Yakov Smirnoff started saying in my head "In Soviet Russia, cheese tiques you!"

Slowly step away from the keyboard... :)

I don't even know where to go with that. I must say it is one of the funniest things I have heard in a very long time. Thanks for making me giggle!

Hi, All!

Cheesetique has officially launched its Chefs' Program with Carolyn Stromberg (a.k.a. LittleWing) at the helm. Once Carolyn decided to grace us with her charm and expertise, we knew it was time for a major launch. Cheesetique has always worked with fine restaurants and hotels, but now we can expand our ability to serve existing accounts as well as new ones. Give yourself access to the best selection of specialty cheeses in the area - just give Carolyn a call at 202-236-3044 if you'd like to set up a tasting.

I wanted to getting the word out in a grass-roots-kinda way - thanks for reading!

Jill

I picked up some cheeses at Cheesetique today, including some burrata. They have both Italian and American right now. I bought the Italian and am planning to use it in an antipasto tonight. I can't wait to open it up. I don't know how much longer this supply will last.

Jill sent out an email saying they are closed today through Thursday (Feb 19-21) to move to their new location two doors down at 2411 Mt. Vernon Avenue. Just an FYI. I had been planning a trip there today, so I got the email just in time :mellow:. I guess my next visit will be to the new store.

Jill sent out an email saying they are closed today through Thursday (Feb 19-21) to move to their new location two doors down at 2411 Mt. Vernon Avenue. Just an FYI. I had been planning a trip there today, so I got the email just in time :). I guess my next visit will be to the new store.

I went yesterday to check out the new space. Indeed it's larger and there is even more cheese, meats, vinegars, oils, salts etc. A clever "wall o' wine" is towards the back. I was really happy to see that I was not the only way anxious to check out the new Cheesetique. Soon after they opened their door at noon, there was a dozen shoppers at least who spilled back out onto Mt. Vernon Ave, red bags in hand.

Jill said that the back room will be open next week (for wine and cheese tasting) so I'll be back then to see what's behind the red velvet curtain.

(and thank you for letting me snap a few photos :mellow: )

Jill said that the back room will be open next week (for wine and cheese tasting) so I'll be back then to see what's behind the red velvet curtain.
Will this be a 'wine bar' kind of place highlighting wine & cheese pairings? Or a place to Cheesetique to hold events/promos? Is the space available for private tastings? Inquiring minds.......

I can't say enough good things about this place - I was happy to see the new space last weekend and I look forward to the wine and cheese bar even though I'm not sure exactly what the setup will be.

You have to love a place where the proprietor gets happy when you go in and say "what do you have that's stinky?".

I've never gotten a cheese there that I didn't love. Which is as much a nod to the knowledgable staff as the cheeses they carry.

Will this be a 'wine bar' kind of place highlighting wine & cheese pairings? Or a place to Cheesetique to hold events/promos? Is the space available for private tastings? Inquiring minds.......

The Cheese & Wine Bar is now open Tuesday-Saturday 5 PM - 9 PM. We will be expanding those hours soon. At the bar, you can get cheese boards, charcuterie boards, entrees, desserts. There are also a number of wines and beers by the glass or bottle. This space will also double as our classroom space on Sundays and Mondays. We will do special events, as well. Just ask!

Hope to see you all soon-

Jill

Unfortunately for nutty buddy, Peanut, and me, Cheesetique opened shortly after we moved away from Del Ray. As a result, I've only been able to stop in a couple of times. But that's enough to make it one of my favorite retail experiences around. Not because it has great cheese (it does), not because it has a nice selection of olive oils and vinegars (it does), not because it has lots of neat cheese related paraphernalia (it does), not even because it has a nice looking wine bar that, alas, I have never been to. But because it has an incredibly nice, pleasant, knowledgeable staff. In the couple of times I have been there, I have always left with a smile on my face due to the efforts of the staff. This is what customer service should be; Danny Meyer would be proud.

Well done, Jill. And a big well done to your staff.

Unfortunately for nutty buddy, Peanut, and me, Cheesetique opened shortly after we moved away from Del Ray. As a result, I've only been able to stop in a couple of times. But that's enough to make it one of my favorite retail experiences around. Not because it has great cheese (it does), not because it has a nice selection of olive oils and vinegars (it does), not because it has lots of neat cheese related paraphernalia (it does), not even because it has a nice looking wine bar that, alas, I have never been to. But because it has an incredibly nice, pleasant, knowledgeable staff. In the couple of times I have been there, I have always left with a smile on my face due to the efforts of the staff. This is what customer service should be; Danny Meyer would be proud.

Well done, Jill. And a big well done to your staff.

After a frustrating attempt to find horseradish cheddar at the cheesemonger's at Eastern Market yesterday, I decided to drive out to Cheesetique instead. I could have tried the local grocery stores (Harris Teeter probably carries it), but I hadn't been to Cheesetique in a while, and it's always a pleasant experience to go there. The friendly and knowledgeable staff members are a huge draw.