Austin Grill, Tex-Mex on Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield - Once a Fine Local Chain Headed by Ann Cashion

Okay, so service and swallowability go a long way when it comes to Tex Mex in DC.

I had the WORST food and the most unwelcoming service of my life at Austin Grill after An Inconvenient Truth on Wednesday. It was late and the people I was with don't really love their gullets as much as you love yours, so I bit my lip and invested in my company for the night. I'm pretty indifferent about Austin Grill (though I had stronger feelings in like 1994) and I my expectations are realistic. That said, I had to send back my dinner because the romaine in the salad tasted like it had mistakenly taken a swim in sanitizer (blue # 40).

Ask all the pimps and whores: I'll eat anything when washed down with magaritas (so long as there's melted cheese near by-Tex Mex is my weakness), but this was foul and so was everything else we ordered. We felt so unwelcome and they kept telling us the kitchen was closing in 15 minutes and that it would soon be last call for drinks. That's all good, but why stay open if you're gonna be brisk and your food's gonna suck ventworm cock between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m.? I don't think I've sent food back more than twice in my life, and it wasn't just me; I had everyone try it and we all agreed that it tasted like Homer Simpson made it (at the power plant). No one would touch their food after sampling my salad. I appreciate this place for its work with DC Central Kitchen, etc. and for giving people on the street a chance, but please don't give me chemicals anymore. And please, don't make me wait in the front like an idiot for 10 minutes upon arrival if you're fully-staffed.
Yours truly,

Panda Bearito

There doesn't seem to be a topic dedicated to Austin Grill so I'll post this here.

I perceive a huge difference in quality between AG locations. After umpteen brunches with friends and on my own at the Glover Park location (usually pre-gym; yes, you read that right), I have grown frustrated with the place. It's noisy as hell - and yes, this is a family-friendly joint, but I don't think kids should be running around in ANY restaurant for safety reasons - and the food and service are so variable.

One day, the complimentary salsa is pure water and the stale chips taste like they have been triple-salted. Another, the salsa is rich with tomatoes and a nice spicy kick. The Texas toast served at brunch sometimes appears as if bread and egg are perfect strangers (but the pecan butter or whatever it is always works for me).

I sometimes like the skirt steak tacos for take-out. Sometimes I kick myself for giving them another chance, they're so gloppy and gross.

One time, I spent most of brunch listening to a nearby bartender discuss two topics two disgusting even for this board. Yes, I mentioned this to the manager on my way out.

But the downtown location feels completely different and I say that after two recent brunches. The staff is friendly and efficient. Coffee is warmed up, water glasses are refilled and the Texas toast is eggy and delicious, with nice crisp edges.

The downtown location is airy and there's none of the cramped feeling I get at Glover.

Is this fine dining? Hell no, and as a result it suffers greatly by comparison to its great neighbors. But when I'm downtown to shop around or what have you, AG is a good option for a quick bite to eat.

I couldn't agree with you more re: GP Austin Grill. What used to be an awesome place to go for your regular pop-in, tex-mex cure all has now become a place that even if I find myself in there, late night, for a swirlie, I wonder to myself, "Why am I here???" (disclaimer - I used to manage this AG, and several others, years ago and still live in the 'hood). Back in the day, there were lines out the door for Sun. brunch and we couldn't pack any more people into the bar - 3-4 deep on Thur, Fri and Sat. The college kids stopping in for a bite to eat and some cheap (yes, they used to be cheap) margaritas seemed like a prerequisite (sp?) for a night out in Georgetown. Food was awesome, servers were awesome and food & drink - even better. The staff has gone downhill at best - ask someone there what a chipolte is or what is the whatever and you will receive a blank stare.

All in all, it is saddening and I hope they can turn around their flagship store. GP needs a place like AG for a great place to stop into. Me, chicken tacos and a swirlie = very very happy!

Thanks . . .

We have tried the Silver Spring location three times now, each time thinking that it couldn't be as bad as it is. It's awful. Horrid carnitas drowning in onions and oil. Steak nachos that feature little chunks of dried out beef, cheap greasy cheese and oversalted chips. The beans are like black holes of blandness, sucking the flavor out of the surrounding foods. Even the salads are bad.

I liked the original location many years ago but hadn't tried any of the expansion locations. It's not getting another cent from us. This place makes the Rio Grande Cafe look like the Frontera Grill.

Oh I second this. Years ago I loves the Georgetown location- funky, good food ( I opened the Rio Grande when it came to town and could not eat there for overexposure), the Austin Bethesda bar was okay- Silver Spring is a disaster. After complaining to the manager about the quality of the food- we got two free coupons- we tried it again, well fool me once- but twice? Mio Rancho by default is do able - but moslty due to eating outside

Aproximatly 30+ samples of the chilis served at the DC Chili Cookoff.

Sometime I'll have to tell the story of my friend's Slim Jim chili and the Cha-Cha Chili Chill-Off and Rock & Rock Show.

Last night I had tacos at the Austin Grill downtown. I know, there aren't a lot of fans here, but the meal was free, and my al pastor was good.

Sometime I'll have to tell the story of my friend's Slim Jim chili and the Cha-Cha Chili Chill-Off and Rock & Rock Show.

Last night I had tacos at the Austin Grill downtown. I know, there aren't a lot of fans here, but the meal was free, and my al pastor was good.

About 6 months ago Austin Grill as a company was sold to Thompson Hospitality, a company generally in the business of cafeteria operations at places like courthouses and colleges.

About 6 months ago Austin Grill as a company was sold to Thompson Hospitality, a company generally in the business of cafeteria operations at places like courthouses and colleges.

I am not sure how that would change the quality of the food at Austin Grill one way or another especially since it was already low grade cafeteria food.

It doesn't look like anyone is particularly happy with the new arrangement - three of AG's top people have left since the sale, including founder Chris Patterson. (Full disclosure: my husband works at one... for the time being. This is why the free meal. But trust me when I tell you, I'm over the place.)

Back in the 90s, the Austin Grill in Glover Park was pretty good. The food was tasty and the margaritas were the best in town. When I last ate there about three years ago, the food was stuff I wouldn't serve to an enemy. Just awful, awful slop that they had nerve accepting money for. That location is gone, of course, but I can't imagine that the other instances could get worse under new ownership.

It doesn't look like anyone is particularly happy with the new arrangement - three of AG's top people have left since the sale, including founder Chris Patterson. (Full disclosure: my husband works at one... for the time being. This is why the free meal. But trust me when I tell you, I'm over the place.)

chris patterson was not a founder. rob wilder (jaleo, zatinya, and anything jose andres does) and scot shaw were the founders. chris patterson was brought in to "right the ship" years ago. A few good men were there Kurt Miller, ( wonder where he landed) and some of the old school gms. They were/are great guys, but eccckkkkkk not even free kids dinners on Mondays can get my kids inside the place. yuck... there were a few threads on Siestmas live chat about the disintegrating food quality at austin grill and cafe deluxe in the same breath............ anyone else see of notice this?

there were a few threads on Siestmas live chat about the disintegrating food quality at austin grill and cafe deluxe in the same breath............ anyone else see of notice this?

i have stopped monitoring the disintegrating food quality at austin grill. it disintegrated a long time ago. we seldom go to cafe deluxe, but my wife was there the other night and reported disintegrating food quality. there was also a lipstick stain -- on her plate, so there may be more favorable opinions around about the food these days than hers. they used to rev the place up by bringing in someone who could actually cook every once in a while, and that seemed to carry it. walking by on our way to palena i have also noticed declining business. and what's up with cactus cantina? i passed there on a recent weekend evening, and the entire corner smelled like a dishwasher.

OK, I'll add to the pile-on. I was at the one in the "new" Silver Spring for someone's birthday about a month ago and the food was even worse than 2 years ago when I sensed the place was going downhill. I ordered a sampler platter and each item was nigh on inedible. Each item seemed to have a taste like it was 4-5 days old. Bland taste and mushy texture. The college cafeteria angle mentioned above sounds about spot on. Although the salsa still tasted OK, FWIW.

I never thought Austin Grill was amazing, but I miss the days when I could at least count on the place for some decent fajitas out in the burbs. I actually have a friend who ordered fajita meat for takeout for a party recently and it was still pretty tasty. However they stopped making fresh tortillas at the restaurant. Even with the old machine right in the middle of the restaurant they give you sysco ones. That's just embarassing.

Went to the new location in Centreville. Service wasn't great and it's not like it was super busy. There were a lot of waiters just standing around while I wanted more tortillas (or some tortillas since they didn't originally bring any out with my fajitas) or a drink refill. The fajita steak was well done. The carnitas was ok, though. The chips and salsa were good, but they served the chips in really tiny baskets. Our table of four adults and four kids would run out of chips in about 3 minutes.

All the years that I have lived in this area, I have not been to an Austin Grill once. But, a few weeks ago in the mail, I got a "buy one get one free" coupon for the new Austin Grill Custom Burrito Shop that they opened in Fairfax (pretty much like a Chipotle or Baja Fresh).

Other than the space looking nice and new, there is nothing else that I liked about the place. I went on a Thursday evening, close to 7:30 PM, and it was dead, but the service was lackluster at best. You figure that they would be happy to see you, as the placed just opened up and they want to encourage you to come back, but all I felt was disdain for us being there, as if we were disturbing their night of doing nothing. No smiles, no pleasantries, just taking your order and shoving our food at us. And, the food was nothing to write home about either. I can't say that it is worse than Chipotle or Baja Fresh of Qdoba or any of those clones out there, but it definitely was not better, and sure was a hell of a lot sloppier than the food at these other places, although I attribute that to the bad service that we got.

Overall, not worth a return visit, bad first impression.

Nothing new to report (the food still looks sad for being on the plate) except maybe for an updated look to the menu and the egregious prices charged on their kids menu. My gf ordered a kids hot dog taco and was charged $4.99 for a hot dog wrapped in a soft tortilla with a side of applesauce. For $4.99, you can also order carrots & celery with dip or a PB&J. Oy.

My wife and I have actually been fans of Austin Grill in Old Town for years now. We aren't regulars but do stop in on occasion when we're in the area and want Tex/Mex food. Having been there numerous times over numerous years, I must admit to detecting a downward slide at this location in terms of food quality, service, and overall experience.

Last night was a case in point. We arrived without reservations on Mother's Day and told our party of 5 would have to wait for a table, which we did gladly at the bar for about 20 min. Checking back with the hostess, she told me our table had been ready for some time and that we could go upstairs. Not sure, absent mental telepathy, how we could have divined this fact but regardless we adjourned upstairs to find 5-6 empty booths that could have easily accommodated our party earlier. A minor gripe as sitting at the bar wasn't unpleasant but a service issue that tends to detract from the experience.

Despite the inauspicious start, the food was decent and service was pretty good. Seems like the waitstaff was trying very hard but may have been spread a little thin. I must give kudos to our waiter for being especially accomodating of our 2.5 yr old daughter.

We ordered a variety of burritos and tacos, finding them agreeable overall, though I do remember the rice tasting a bit fresher and flavorful in the past. The beans served on the side seemed a bit tired too, maybe too much time under the heat lamp. I do remember being more impressed with the salsa served with the chips in the past as well. Seems more watery now, less punch. But the shrimp tacos, bean burrito, guacamole, and bean & cheese tacos were better than average.

So, overall not an unpleasant experience, but not great either. The food is ok for a neighborhood place. It's not worth driving across town for but if you're walking by, it's worth stopping in. The beer is cold, chips are warm (though frequently broken into bits), and the food is ok. Something about the ambiance seems a little tired though. The upstairs dining room seems disheveled and rundown, it's a bit depressing in the back room upstairs especially. A revamp of the upstairs decor would go a long way to improving the dining experience up there. I hope something good happens to this location because as it stands, the trend is not moving in a favorable direction.

The mother had coupon for a free meal, and I had a gift card. I STILL managed to be completely disappointed after eating at the Silver Spring location.

Why? Let's see......first, there was a complete overhaul of the menu that eliminated all of the items that I remotely enjoyed for no apparent reason, including the portobello fajitas that I have liked for a long time and wanted to order tonight. We're not just talking one or two items missing here, folks - we're talking a good half of the menu just flat-out gone.

Dinner for me was a skirt steak burrito that didn't have much in the way of substance or, oddly enough, skirt steak. It was there, I could taste it, but it was mostly covered by the slop of the black beans. The rice that came with it was completely inedible; it was dry, and had clearly been sitting out for a while. It wasn't much food, and completely not worth the price.

The mother got some sort of grilled iceberg wedge salad, also with skirt steak. Basically, they grilled two small wedges of iceberg, and then threw a whole crapload of other stuff in the fold. It looked completely unappetizing, and that was before the introduction of the way-too-runny blue cheese dressing. The fact that only half of it was eaten probably told the story.

Still hungry, I looked for dessert, figuring I'd go for my usual $2 slice of key lime pie (decent if not great, and certainly good for the price). But of COURSE the menu changes hit the dessert as well, relegating me to a $5 piece of apple cobbler for dessert instead. It was big, sure, but who cares if it's not even half-eaten? There was way too much granola in the damn thing; it basically tasted like I was eating a warm granola bar with a little bit of apple in there. Completely awful.

I was never a big fan of Austin Grill before this, but I could at least tolerate it. Now? Forget it. I am never eating at an Austin Grill again. The only bright spot was that the service was at least pretty decent. If it wasn't for that, this would have been one of maybe the five worst dining experiences I've ever had. As it is, it was still bad enough for me to never go again.

...I was never a big fan of Austin Grill before this, but I could at least tolerate it. Now? Forget it...

I concur. Last sampling was lunch on the patio during the recent Silver Spring blues festival. Not only was the food bad, but their already uninspiring draft beer lineup now has no viable options, imho, since they've deleted Sierra Nevada.

Bethesda location closed within the last few days. Won't be missed by me. I used to like it for cheap eats when I was single then with the kids but haven't been there since Thompson Hospitality bought it and the menu changed. Anyway, it is a nice space in an excellent location across from Jaleo and a few doors up where Wiedmaier's new fish place is going in on Woodmont in the fancy part of Bethesda. Another restaurant will probably give it a shot. Rent there is still sky high from what I hear through the grapevine and perhaps the high rent played a part in the decision to close Austin Grill. The location is not listed on the web site anymore.

My husband and some co-workers had lunch at the Alexandria location yesterday, and he thought it was really bad. I can't recall now what he said he got. If I'd known that's where they were planning to go, I would have warned him off. He doesn't usually come flat out and say something is bad, so that was pretty telling.

(ETA: I just looked at the online menu to jog my memory. He had the "hangover" burger.)

Good riddance. Hope the Rockville location follows, as it's even worse than the Bethesda location.

Ditto the Silver Spring location, although I'm not sure I see that happening; that slop passes for fine dining in Downtown, and I think they turn quite the profit during happy hour from the Discovery employees nearby.

Bethesda location closed within the last few days. Won't be missed by me. I used to like it for cheap eats when I was single then with the kids but haven't been there since Thompson Hospitality bought it and the menu changed. Anyway, it is a nice space in an excellent location across from Jaleo and a few doors up where Wiedmaier's new fish place is going in on Woodmont in the fancy part of Bethesda. Another restaurant will probably give it a shot. Rent there is still sky high from what I hear through the grapevine and perhaps the high rent played a part in the decision to close Austin Grill. The location is not listed on the web site anymore.

It's reopening as a "Tap Room" also found on the concourse of Dulles and National Airports..

It's reopening as a "Tap Room" also found on the concourse of Dulles and National Airports..

And "American Tap Room" is owned by the same company that owns Austin Grill.

I'm a little disturbed to see from their website that they also own Marvelous Market.

One thing I forgot to mention is that my husband was very surprised that the AG they went to was virtually deserted when they arrived at noon.

ETA: It looks like it's not the same "Tap Room." The only location of the American Tap Room seems to be Reston.

I noticed this the other day, too, while walking by. The weird thing is, the place always seemed busy, right up until they closed and started gutting the interior. Not a fan of the place at all, I just find it weird.

And "American Tap Room" is owned by the same company that owns Austin Grill.

I'm a little disturbed to see from their website that they also own Marvelous Market.

One thing I forgot to mention is that my husband was very surprised that the AG they went to was virtually deserted when they arrived at noon.

ETA: It looks like it's not the same "Tap Room." The only location of the American Tap Room seems to be Reston.

I am awaiting a juxtaposition of Thompson Hospitality's Austin Grill and Ashburn Car Wash.

As for locations, the Dulles "Tap Room" is Harry's Tap Room, not the American Tap Room, different company.

Did you ever want to dine at Austin Grill, but stayed away because of the turquoise walls and lack of guacamole made tableside? Then you will LOVE the changes at the re-opened Austin Grill in Old Town.

Based on a brunch there yesterday, these are the only discernible changes made after the restaurant's "renovation" that kept them closed for several months. They also are boasting an expanded collection of top-shelf tequila, which is not ideal given the continued bottom-shelf food.

The décor is noticeably improved. Dark wood everywhere, a color palette that has gone from blue and yellow to brown and rust, and some interesting ceiling fixtures. The chips are still bright yellow and resemble Tostitos. In lieu of the salsa coming in a bowl, it now comes in a tiny cup about the size of a ketchup cup thus making it more difficult to dip one's chip. The hot sauce on the tables is gone. Evidently the remodeling is being financed through restructured condiments.

I ordered the Willie Nelson Plate, which is four tacos (Spicy beef, steak, chicken and carnitas). The steak was solid. The spicy beef was okay. The chicken was meh. The carnitas was foul -- bland, mushy pulled pork topped with cloyingly sweet (and ice cold) barbecue sauce. Rules of math be damned, a negative times a negative equals a negative.

Most of the folks working seemed new, or at least out of practice. We were told the wait would be 20 to 30 minutes. We said okay, grabbed a beeper and sat down. Roughly one minute later, the beeper buzzed and we were on our way to the table. The restaurant was maybe half full at 11am on a Sunday.

As a final note, there appears to be a designated staffer who handles nothing but the guacamole. When she's not making guacamole, she and her cart stand sheepishly in the middle of the restaurant with nothing to do. It sort of made me feel bad. Not bad enough to order guacamole however.

So beneath the new packaging, the new Austin Grill is pretty much the old Austin Grill. Unfortunately, they chose not to put their money where your mouth is.

• Like 5

If anyone is trying to pass the day at work, you will get twenty minutes of solid entertainment reading this thread from start to finish.

To think that if it wasn't for Austin Grill ...

It is a long and circuitous line from Ann Cashion at Austin Grill on Wisconsin Ave. some 20 years ago to the pig slop being served at the Austin Grill in Springfield today. Nonetheless, that was an interesting read....

Many years ago I went to the AG in Old Town and sat at the bar for dinner. Nature called, so I made my way to the facility in the hallway. The long hall was filled on one side with bag after bag of tortilla chips in large transparent garbage bags. They were on the floor. They were outside the restrooms. They were disturbing.

I doubt these chips were bound for the trash unless they made far too much at once. Were they bound for diners' tables? I hope not, but I suspect so.

Never went back.

Like most here, not a fan of AG and think it has been at least 10 years since I was in one. I think a friends band was playing the one in Old Towne a decade or so ago.

Not sure I'd have even clicked on this topic were it not for the thread title. I'm not sure I remember any thread with a title including the word "awful"? Even though true, seems unusual. Whether a title should judge/condemn versus describe is all Don's call. Personally, think I prefer the opinions in the posts and in the Dining Guide versus in thread titles.

• Like 1

We had a goodbye lunch for a coworker at AG today (his choice, he hadn't been there in years).  Had the carnitas tacos and they were the worst carnitas I've ever had. I couldn't finish. Greasy and foul-tasting.

Even the free chips were stale - the salsa was somewhat decent and was probably the best thing I ate (the black beans and rice were OK too).

This is like saying the demise of the horse and buggy is sad. :lol:

Santa Fe East was just as good.

Yeah, I hear ya, it is just a place I have good memories from and was a go to.  I always liked it better than Rio Grande.  Lots of lunches there when I first worked in Bethesda right out of college in 2000.

Yeah, I hear ya, it is just a place I have good memories from and was a go to.  I always liked it better than Rio Grande.  Lots of lunches there when I first worked in Bethesda right out of college in 2000.

Oh, Austin Grill was *much* better than Rio Grande when it first opened. Santa Fe East was better than any Southwestern or Tex-Mex we have in the city right now (off the top of my head).