Austin Grill, Tex-Mex on Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield - Once a Fine Local Chain Headed by Ann Cashion

The Silver Spring location is permanently closed, per a sign on the door (and Yelp confirms). I wonder how much of it is competition from a spot like AG Kitchen (which isn't Tex-Mex, but covers some of the same territory as broad Latino fusion food) and how much is just the decline of the chain's quality since it opened.

Will be interesting to see what slots into place there. It was one of the original spots in the revitalization of Downtown Silver Spring, and when Macaroni Grille similarly closed in 2014, Peterson went for an independent restaurant (AG Kitchen) rather than a chain to slot in next to the Red Lobster and Eggspectation that had been there since the beginning, and two of their most recent openings in the smaller, fast casual spots were also local - Cava Grill and Gusto Italian Grill (the other is a Shop House). Their website still shows Austin Grill but I assume that will change shortly - and the spot is 6,008 SF, which is the fourth largest restaurant in that DTSS complex they own, behind AG Kitchen, Copper Canyon Grill, and Red Lobster, and at least marginally larger than Eggspectation and Masa Hibachi.

On 3/18/2016 at 2:08 PM, jdc said:

The Silver Spring location is permanently closed, per a sign on the door (and Yelp confirms). I wonder how much of it is competition from a spot like AG Kitchen (which isn't Tex-Mex, but covers some of the same territory as broad Latino fusion food) and how much is just the decline of the chain's quality since it opened.

Will be interesting to see what slots into place there. It was one of the original spots in the revitalization of Downtown Silver Spring, and when Macaroni Grille similarly closed in 2014, Peterson went for an independent restaurant (AG Kitchen) rather than a chain to slot in next to the Red Lobster and Eggspectation that had been there since the beginning, and two of their most recent openings in the smaller, fast casual spots were also local - Cava Grill and Gusto Italian Grill (the other is a Shop House). Their website still shows Austin Grill but I assume that will change shortly - and the spot is 6,008 SF, which is the fourth largest restaurant in that DTSS complex they own, behind AG Kitchen, Copper Canyon Grill, and Red Lobster, and at least marginally larger than Eggspectation and Masa Hibachi.

You know I live in the downtown silver spring area and I just didn't even remember that it existed. Like I noticed a new restaurant was moving in and I just for the life of me could not think of which restaurateur had gone out of business. Judging by the reviews I wasn't missing much.

5 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

I'm shocked -- there's still an Austin Grill around? That was a pretty good local chain back in the 90s.

Hijacking the topic a bit, but Austin Grill is atrocious.

56 minutes ago, Mark Slater said:

It was better in the 80s when it wasn't a chain.

I'll take your word for it, but it's abysmal now.