dr.com Old Anglers Inn All-You-Can-Eat BYOB BBQ Buffet - Tuesday, June 10th, 2014, 6:30-10:30

DonRocks

Chef Nick Palermo was quick to respond   :)

He suggested a weekday barbecue themed event in the back garden as that area isn't normally open during the week and would be available exclusively for us.  Suggested dates are June 3rd, 5th, 10th or 12th.  He could also apply for a special one-day license to allow folks to bring their own wine, if we would be interested.

Please respond here (or in a separate thread if a moderator wants to move this) with your preference regarding date and if you'd be interested in bringing your own wine.  Chef Nick will have a menu for us soon.

Hey all, I think we should set up a BBQ style buffet and we will also have plenty of table space available. We also have seating at the outside bar. I'm thinking pork ribs, pulled pork, brisket, burgers, dogs, corn, salt potatoes, and bbq chicken. We can also do a nice summer salad with grilled vegetables. I won't forget some fried chicken for Don. If there's anything else that you would like to see, feel free to let me know. I think we can put something together for $40 to $50 per person to include food/drink/tax/tip. If that sounds reasonable let me know. Or if its not also let me know.

Cheers,

Nick

Since we have dates for Anglers, can we set up a poll so we can get a headcount?  I don't know how to set one up.  

Nick, how much is a one-day license for wine?

• Like 1

Folks, I can't do everything, but things I choose not to do are things that fail. This is failing. We have Old Anglers fire pit being used as a barbecue pit with Nick himself doing the cooking. Where are the responses? Please consider this a gentile chastisement. I want these events to be a PR success and a financial "moderately okay" success for the restaurants. The need to make "a" profit, and in order to do that, they need 20 people. Nick is taking time out of his day to do this, so let's not let him down, okay?

Please, let's get moving on this.

Cheers,

Rocks

The available dates are filling up quickly so if we are going to do this in the first two weeks of June we need to confirm now. The only available days are Tuesday 6/5 and Tuesday 6/10. Of course we can do something later on in July. The restaurant will cover the cost for the one day liquor license if you choose to bring your own wine. We are also adding a super sexy bbq beef chuck roast to the menu which we are debuting today in the garden. I know we are a little bit out of the way for most people but please make the trip. I can assure you it will be more than worth your while. You may even decide to come back. Please again let me know if there are any concerns on food, beverage, or costing that I need to address.

The available dates are filling up quickly so if we are going to do this in the first two weeks of June we need to confirm now. The only available days are Tuesday 6/5 and Tuesday 6/10. Of course we can do something later on in July. The restaurant will cover the cost for the one day liquor license if you choose to bring your own wine. We are also adding a super sexy bbq beef chuck roast to the menu which we are debuting today in the garden. I know we are a little bit out of the way for most people but please make the trip. I can assure you it will be more than worth your while. You may even decide to come back. Please again let me know if there are any concerns on food, beverage, or costing that I need to address.

Thank you, Chef.

The *only* question now, is whether to have this on Tuesday, 6/5, or Tuesday, 6/10, and the poll has been updated accordingly.

Get moving, friends - we need commitment ASAP.

(Also, please reply here with how many people will be attending - bring your family and friends for sure. This is the type of event that would be impossible to overbook.)

Adding Crazeegitl +3. So we are at a head count of 11.

Nick asked me if he should open this up to Old Anglers' neighbors as well as donrockwell.com members, and I told him yes, absolutely - so there's no danger of the event being canceled. And, hopefully, people will meet some new friends as well.

I went ahead and committed to a June 10th date, so that's fixed.

Judi, thanks for organizing this - please continue and recruit attendees, as there's plenty of space: It's all yours from this point forward.

• Like 1

Folks, Chef Nick has indicated this event will start at 5:30. 

Judi, can you change this until 6:30 or 7? 5:30 is just too early for people to get to Potomac on a Tuesday (unless it continues well into the evening). Thank you, ma'am! Rocks

Is this BYOB, i saw that mentioned?

This is the first DR event that is on my way home.  I ho past Old Anglers twice a day in my commute from North Potomac to Reston.  Avoding 270 with a stick shift keeps me happy and sane.  As does a few glasses of wine everyday!!

• Like 1

Is this BYOB, i saw that mentioned?

This is the first DR event that is on my way home.  I ho past Old Anglers twice a day in my commute from North Potomac to Reston.  Avoding 270 with a stick shift keeps me happy and sane.  As does a few glasses of wine everyday!!

Yes, so bring as much vino as you'd like.

There will be some of Old Anglers' neighbors there as well - try and co-mingle, introduce yourselves, and let them know about the website - our representation from Potomac (and Great Falls, and Langley) is distressingly low.

Squidsdc, there's no need to be there exactly at 6:30...this is intended to be casual and I am sure many folks will not be arriving till later.  Please do come if you're able.  

Judi, it would be great to hear from you or Nick what people should expect when they park and walk up to the event.

I sense the possibility of "opening minute fear" here, and I don't think there needs to be.

Consider name tags?

Don, I'll let Nick respond to your "what to expect" question.  I've only been to a few small DR events, but have never seen name tags used.  I'm happy to pick some up if people want to use them. But for 5 members and guests, I'm not sure that is necessary.

I believe the count is now 13:

Schulju +2

DanielK +2

AGM +1

Marks

Crazeegirl +3

Don, I'll let Nick respond to your "what to expect" question.  I've only been to a few small DR events, but have never seen name tags used.  I'm happy to pick some up if people want to use them. But for 5 members and guests, I'm not sure that is necessary.

I believe the count is now 13:

Schulju +2

DanielK +2

AGM +1

Marks

Crazeegirl +3

You're right - I think name tags are appropriate for our picnics, but not for something like this. All I ask is that our regulars make new friends, and if they see someone alone, to make sure they aren't alone for long (with Daniel, Adam, etc. here, I'm not too worried about this). Marks, you've met some of these folks before, right?

I really wish we had 50 people going, but events just aren't our strong suit anymore. I don't know why this is so, but it is so. :( They are *such* a good deal. I really think we need an Events Director who is hell-bent on making these popular once again, but right now it can't be me. In theory, I like the concept of everyone forming a bunch of different events, but only *after* they've proven to be a major feature of this community once again; in the interim, we need someone with brass balls. who doesn't know the meaning of the word failure - so, ladies, who will it be? :)

hi nick/don,

just to follow up on the byob...as much i love my wine, i like my belgian beer with bbq...does byob apply to wine only?  if so, will you have beer we can order from your menu?  thank you...i didn't want to break any rules!   ;)

hi nick/don,

just to follow up on the byob...as much i love my wine, i like my belgian beer with bbq...does byob apply to wine only? if so, will you have beer we can order from your menu? thank you...i didn't want to break any rules! ;)

Bring your beer! (All, don't forget to tip well!)

For the benefit of those who may be reading this today or Tuesday, since this is a casual event and open to more than just us, can people just show up without notice? And if the answer is no, what's the cutoff for signing up (if that hasn't already passed)?

The restaurant purchased a special license from the County to allow people to BYOB if they so choose.  Of course, with a full bar, you can also purchase anything you'd like from the restaurant.  Looking forward to seeing you all tonight.  I will likely be there early since I'll be coming from my office.  Look for me in the bar if you don't see me in the Beer Garden!  

A hearty thanks to Chef Nick Palermo and the team at OAI for a great time last night!  We were treated to some of the best ribs I've ever tasted as well as super tender pulled pork, pit beef, burgers & dogs and some truly awesome fried chicken along with an assortment of sides.  I'm still full this morning!

The smoker is onsite and the proteins we were served (other than the fried chicken) are available in the Beer Garden every Friday-Sunday.  The setting is so green and peaceful, a great place to hang out when the weather is nice.  Hubby and I will be taking advantage of it again soon, I'm sure.

Thanks also to everyone who came out.  I got to see some familiar faces and meet a few new ones.  I always enjoy the company of this community online, and even more so when I can meet you in person.

• Like 1

Thank you and everyone else that came out. My name is Ron and I'm the owner of the smoker. I would just like to add that the smoker is available for off site catering as well...I will come to you!! Chef Nick and myself enjoyed having everyone come out, hopefully we can do it again.

Ron

Smokin' Jarhead

• Like 2

Thank you and everyone else that came out. My name is Ron and I'm the owner of the smoker. I would just like to add that the smoker is available for off site catering as well...I will come to you!! Chef Nick and myself enjoyed having everyone come out, hopefully we can do it again.

Ron

Smokin' Jarhead

Ron, could you post some details about your catering service in our Catering forum? Start a new thread (instructions are here). I didn't even know you existed until today, but it sounds like you were the sous chef last night, and that you smoke at Old Anglers on the weekends. I'm hearing that your barbecue was quite good, so please consider this community an extension of your business.

Great time and great food. Very happy to spend a gorgeous evening on the patio with friends.

The cue, as previously mentioned, was very very good, especially the ribs. And the grilled pineapple and corn were absolutely awesome. I will definitely make it back for more weekends, since OAI is only about 15 minutes from my house. And one of these days I'll have to make it into the main dining room and check out what Nick is doing there.

Sorry more of you couldn't make it! It's not as inaccessible as you think - even during rush hour, it's no more than 10 minutes from the American Legion bridge.

Sorry more of you couldn't make it! It's not as inaccessible as you think - even during rush hour, it's no more than 10 minutes from the American Legion bridge.

That's right. This and CItyZen are mistakenly deemed inaccessible from the American Legion and 14th Street Bridges, respectively, when in fact they're just a few minutes away. Even in rush hour, the outbound Clara Barton Parkway usually runs at speed (don't I sound like Bob Marbourg?) :)

That's right. This and CItyZen are mistakenly deemed inaccessible from the American Legion and 14th Street Bridges, respectively, when in fact they're just a few minutes away. Even in rush hour, the outbound Clara Barton Parkway usually runs at speed (don't I sound like Bob Marbourg?) :)

Second that on the Clara Barton - I used to work in Ballston, and many days the quickest way back to MoCo wasn't up Glebe to the Parkway, but in on 66, across the Key, and out Canal/Clara Barton.

Problem comes when one can't even get out of downtown-when it takes half an hour to travel one block like it did on Tuesday. Something has been up with traffic near where I work lately-it's been a clusterf*ck on every route outta dodge. Wish it could've been different. We'll just have to plan a visit out there on a weekend sometime.

Back in the day when I worked in Tysons Corner and they were doing work on the American Legion Bridge, the best route out was taking Chain Bridge to the Parkway then hopping on the beltway. Definitely a good route, if one can get to it!

The food was excellent, especially the ribs. The ambiance was beautiful. The staff unexpectedly gracious and charming, attentive for what I thought would be just BBQ. We really had an excellent time, once we got there.

The traffic from Springfield was horrendous. Clara Barton Parkway too. When I got out of the car I nearly collapsed into a puddle.

If you commute every day on heavily congested DC highways you may be used to it. I am not. Nor do I want to be.

For my own purposes, ease of commute and parking and wait time are all important factors in deciding whether to put a restaurant into my rotation. Old Anglers Inn is accessible for us mobility impaired. No wait time at all. The drive sucked, which is not the fault of the hosts.