Flying Dog Dead Rise Old Bay Summer Ale - Frederick, MD

Nick Freshman

Has anyone tried this? Like many that grew up here, I have a soft spot in my heart for anything with Old Bay, but beer? It's pretty good as it turns out. Not great, but a fine beer from a brewery that is making some good stuff, I think. It's 5.6% ABV, so not too big, but some kick for a summer beer that is not an IPA. It's basically a light ale brewed with some wheat, with a low IBU (25), but some nice hop flavor. I didn't get the Old Bay at all until the end where it popped up on the finish and lingered a bit. Not overpowering at all; pleasant. I don't think I'd go for more than one or two, but I really don't ever go for beers that have 'outside' flavors added--fruit, spice, etc.

Like all FD stuff, the labeling is awesome.

There is an additional component as well that I think is contributing to the fact that is selling like crazy here at SK. They are donating proceeds to True Blue, a Bay advocacy program. There's been discussion about this org elsewhere on the board, and I know nothing about it, so I won't dare speak to its merits. I just know that people specifically tell me that is a selling point for the beer.

I've had people coming in asking for this beer far more than any other limited release product we have ever had. Uncanny, really.

The name, by the way, comes from a deadrise boat which is the name of the boats you see everywhere on the Bay (well, less these days). And, like all FD stuff, they have as much a way with names as they do with labels. I mean, Raging Bitch??? Instantly iconic.

Next month they are doing a Blood Orange IPA that my Bar Manager tasted and really liked. I think the bitterness of a Blood Orange could go great with some citrusy hops. I am already wanting to smell the beer. I expect to carry it when it comes in.

• Like 1

I got to try both at the brewery last month at their Savor Symposium.  I really enjoyed Dead Rise.  As far as old bay goes, what I got was a strong celery seed flavor at the end.  There was a nice salinity, and I thought it was well balanced with the hop bitterness present.

As far as the Blood line goes, not my favorite from them.  It just didn't do it for me.

They're having supply issues. We have had it at SK for two weeks, but we haven't been able to get anymore. Our distributor has no idea if there will be any more. This happens from time to time with the seasonals; especially the smaller breweries. Frustrating.

Rodman's tweeted this morning that they just received some.  I happened to be in the Frederick area over Memorial Day and stopped by Flying Dog and got a growler.  It's a nice beer but definitely not worth the hype.

Mussel Bar Bethesda also just tapped a keg of it.

For full disclosure I am a member of a club at Flying Dog called Junto.  Its run by the brewery.  We meet once a month, drink some beer, discuss the latest releases, etc.  We met last night and CEO Jim Caruso talked up the new releases (Dead Rise, Blood Line, and a ginger rarity).  According to Jim, Dead Rise is their most successful release EVER and there is a shortage.  I got to speak with him after he addressed the group and he was a bit cagey about the process of making the beer as it includes a "proprietary process".  The beer has been a long time in the making--they had about 8-10 pilot batches before they got it right.  McCormick had signed on early on, but had some second thoughts as it got closer to the release.  Had McCormick backed out, it would have meant the brewery lost $100k on packaging.  Regardless, it is selling phenomenally--Safeway in Olney sold out of 100 cases in about a day, Shoppers in Germantown also sold out of their 100 cases in record time.  The beer is in such short supply that they are limiting sales at the brewery to 1 six-pack per person.

We got two cases at my store on Thursday, people were definitely on the lookout for this beer and we sold all but a six pack by Saturday night.  We did sample a bottle, and they definitely got something right.  It might've been better with a gose base rather than their summer ale, but the Old Bay wasn't overpowering and it still managed to taste like a beer.  Doubtful I could have more than one or two in a sitting, but I could see that there's a market for it.