Packing a School Lunch

Heather

Here is a do not send list from the little man's school:

What NOT to send

- For children three years of age or younger, foods easily causing choking, such as, but not limited to, hard candy, popcorn, raisins, seeds, nuts, whole hot dogs, hot dogs sliced into rounds, uncut grapes, raw carrots, apple chunks, fruit rolls and fruit gels are not recommended. Because of our mixed age classrooms, these foods are avoided in the PrePrimary, morning Primary, and Extended Day program.

- Foods containing red dye (such as Jell-O) are not to be served. DO NOT send in foods that squirt (like squeeze yogurt), candy, or soda for snacks or lunches.

- Our classrooms have children with a life-threatening allergy to peanuts and tree nuts. In order to minimize their risk of exposure, you are asked to completely avoid nut products of any kind, including peanut oil, for snack, lunch and crafts.

- Please do not send foods with trans fats.

- Please do not send any other foods to which children in the class have a life-threatening allergy.

Wow, this is really strict. You are going to have to be extremely creative if your kid is under three. Or send them awful lunches.

Wow, this is really strict. You are going to have to be extremely creative if your kid is under three. Or send them awful lunches.

I have to say, this is for a private school with small-sized classes and does not reflect other private schools or public schools in this area. I have heard the following paradoxes around this area:

1. Okay to bring in store-bought products vs. Not okay (reasoning: preventing cross-contamination with allergens; sanitary or ingredients concern);

2. Okay vs. Not okay to bring nut/peanut products (reasoning: allergies).

There is no consistency on the list and no consistency on enforcement because I am sure some parent will be too tired to remember the list one day and accidentally pack something of the above nature. There is also some pressure to bring only whole wheat or multi-grain products to school for snacks (e.g., whole wheat pasta or multi-grain crackers or brown rice).

So far, what V.H. said upthread is true: kids talk more than they eat. Almost every lunch packed this past summer has consisted of some uneaten item. Thankfully, there are many moms blogs out there to get creative ideas from -- sometimes even for my own lunches. I think one mentioned here was veganmomblog or something like that.

Ideas that worked: fried rice; rice balls; non-fish/meat sushi; self-made lunchables (compartments of crackers, cold cuts and cheese); yogurt and fruit; veggies and dip; sandwiches; noodles or pastas; pita pockets; leftover pizza from a non-trans fat place.

Not sure how I will fare this year, as I felt like I have exhausted ideas just during summer, but this community is wonderful like that -- refreshes the mind. :-)

Here is a do not send list from the little man's school:

What NOT to send

- Our classrooms have children with a life-threatening allergy to peanuts and tree nuts. In order to minimize their risk of exposure, you are asked to completely avoid nut products of any kind, including peanut oil, for snack, lunch and crafts.

School lunches without PB&J? Good God, what has this world come to?

I think I was in second grade when I told my Mother I wasn't eating hot lunch ever again. This was back when the teacher's aids at lunch had a lot of power and said we had to try a bite of everything on our plate before we could go (that would never happen now). I wouldn't eat a prune. I told the teacher I would spit it up. We stood off for 30 minutes. As my Mother was on the board, and Aunt was director of secondary ed at this point I think she thought I was just being stubborn because I could. Finally after 45 minutes I ate it and as expected threw it up. I looked at her and said, "I told you so, now poor Mr. Bob is going to have to clean up this mess, don't you feel silly," and walked out.

My Mother, although she loved my defiance, (and although she thought my sentence was hilarious though she wouldn't admit it to me until years later) as she was on a big crusade to change school lunch, would not pack my lunch and told me I would have to do it myself. She also wouldn't buy me any processed crap. So I threw together lots of interesting lunches running for the bus. I remember being envied by others for having leftover spaghetti and meatballs or making a veal parmigiana sub from leftovers or other things leftover from dinner. Of course I ate it cold often, but because of my elite status as daughter and niece of bosses, often a teacher would warm it up for me in their lounge. That has all changed now too. Mom was very good about making sure I had lunch boxes, thermoses and ice packs to keep things sufficiently cold or hot though if it left the house that way.

But my two favorite lunches were salami, pepperoni or some roasted chicken with cheese, crackers, grapes and apples. And PB &J on pepperidge farm cinnamon swirl bread, which my Mother's friend made her and I would trade for. That bread made all the difference. My Amish nanny would also send me home with all sorts of canned goods and frozen goods so I would defrost or open and put in tupperware and take so I often had canned peaches, applesauce and all sorts of other canned delights. But I didn't care what the white bread faction liked, I sat with foodies who shared our food and loved different stuff. We were also the same small group of kids that weren't horrified at the veal farm.

In law school I had to pack my lunch again, and I would pack many of those same things. I agree to be careful about the microwave, many people had frozen entrees in law school that took 7 minutes to warm up and they really caused the line to move slowly. I still had the same favorite lunches in law school, except sometimes my husband would pack my lunch. This was especially cute as his Mother IS June Cleaver so it gave me a glimpse of his childhood. He would have to use the big lunch box he packed so much. I would get: sandwich, yogurt, apple, chips or crackers, piece of chocolate, cookies or pudding, drink and sometimes for good measure he would also throw in a granola bar. It was at least twice what I normally ate. But it was so cute in how organized and perfect it was. It was like the Mom packed lunch I never had. He would put in a note in it telling me he loved me or was proud of me. I sometimes wish he would pack me a lunch now, even though we have lunch stuff at my office.

I have to say, this is for a private school with small-sized classes and does not reflect other private schools or public schools in this area. I have heard the following paradoxes around this area:

1. Okay to bring in store-bought products vs. Not okay (reasoning: preventing cross-contamination with allergens; sanitary or ingredients concern);

2. Okay vs. Not okay to bring nut/peanut products (reasoning: allergies).

There is no consistency on the list and no consistency on enforcement because I am sure some parent will be too tired to remember the list one day and accidentally pack something of the above nature. There is also some pressure to bring only whole wheat or multi-grain products to school for snacks (e.g., whole wheat pasta or multi-grain crackers or brown rice).

So far, what V.H. said upthread is true: kids talk more than they eat. Almost every lunch packed this past summer has consisted of some uneaten item. Thankfully, there are many moms blogs out there to get creative ideas from -- sometimes even for my own lunches. I think one mentioned here was veganmomblog or something like that.

Ideas that worked: fried rice; rice balls; non-fish/meat sushi; self-made lunchables (compartments of crackers, cold cuts and cheese); yogurt and fruit; veggies and dip; sandwiches; noodles or pastas; pita pockets; leftover pizza from a non-trans fat place.

Not sure how I will fare this year, as I felt like I have exhausted ideas just during summer, but this community is wonderful like that -- refreshes the mind. :-)

I'm a bad parent because I've been letting BLPreschooler have whole grapes for ages.

Will they heat up lunches?

We did a lot of leftovers this year--soup and stews and pasta and pizza. Then he moved into a new classroom that wouldn't heat things up...

We did cold beans. Avocado sushi rolls. A LOT of sunflower seed butter and jam sandwiches on bread with seeds.

Yogurt with frozen fruit was a mainstay and then he decided he wouldn't eat it because it was too messy.

My rule is that he gets a protein, a fruit and a veg plus milk in every lunch. The veg may be baby gherkins but it is a vegetable of some sort.

He ate more of the lunch as the year wore on.

School starts next week. I don't have my packing thoughts organized yet...

School lunches without PB&J? Good God, what has this world come to?

One kid with a peanut allergy can cause a whole school, or at least a whole section of a school, peanut free. Some kids have allergies so severe that if they are in the same room with a product that contains peanuts they will have a reaction.

And once you've had to be the one to find and then use the epi pen while one kid can't breath and a classroom full of others are starting to freak out you don't mind giving up the PB&J.

I know the no microwave thing is a pain but think about a room of 15 kids, 10 of whom need their lunch heated for 2 minutes and you only have 30 minutes for lunch. Do the math and you'll realize how it can become a problem. :(

OK, not food-related, but tool-related....

I've been having a lot of fun with this type of re-usable sandwich bag.

If you wanted to go really green, you could probably find these in post-consumer recycled materials, but that's a topic for another thread.

I like the wrap-style reusable bags over the container or closed-pocket style. Easier to clean, more flexible with shape (everything from a bagel to a lavash-based sandwich will fit tightly), and it can double as a place mat. Seems like this could be a good option for school lunch totes as well.

OK, not food-related, but tool-related....

I've been having a lot of fun with this type of re-usable sandwich bag.

If you wanted to go really green, you could probably find these in post-consumer recycled materials, but that's a topic for another thread.

I like the wrap-style reusable bags over the container or closed-pocket style. Easier to clean, more flexible with shape (everything from a bagel to a lavash-based sandwich will fit tightly), and it can double as a place mat. Seems like this could be a good option for school lunch totes as well.

If you want more attractive versions, the artist-to-consumer site Etsy.com has a huge selection, not to mention people who will happily personalize your kid's lunch box.

One kid with a peanut allergy can cause a whole school, or at least a whole section of a school, peanut free. Some kids have allergies so severe that if they are in the same room with a product that contains peanuts they will have a reaction.

And once you've had to be the one to find and then use the epi pen while one kid can't breath and a classroom full of others are starting to freak out you don't mind giving up the PB&J.

Amen. It can be deadly.

And to those who may say "I don't remember this being an issue in my day" - you're right, it wasn't. But it is now. My kids have been in three schools recently (public and private) and all three had strong peanut restrictions. And yes, occasional mistakes are made and a kid brings in peanut butter crackers - but the key is to minimize exposure and thus minimize risk - so eliminating peanuts is really the best route. No one knows for sure the reason for the rise, the focus tends to be on immune system factors. Regardless of cause. as with Type 1 diabetes, there's been a marked rise of strong peanut allergies in the last 10-15 years.

I'm a bad parent because I've been letting BLPreschooler have whole grapes for ages.

Me too. My two year old son does not like to touch wet things with his fingers so whole grapes it was/is.

Let's see, lunch ideas that worked for us last year in first grade:

-Homemade mini-challah rolls (make a big batch and freeze them, then take out a couple out as needed), buttered and stuffed with a couple slices of salami or prosciutto, or spread with Nutella

-salami/tortilla roll ups, cut into pinwheels and skewered with fun picks

-fresh fruit that's not too juicy because it gets messy in the lunch cube. Fruits that work for us include blueberries, whole grapes, strawberries that have been hulled but not cut up, apple slices or plum halves with a little Fruit Fresh rubbed on the cut edges to keep them from browning

-edamame

-corn cut off the cob (it still sticks together in large pieces that are easy to pick up with fingers)

-blanched snow peas

-cold chicken

-carrot sticks with peanut butter for dipping

-we're still doing milk in the thermos although when the weather turned hot she was asking for fruit juices and lemonade instead

-pancakes, cut up with a little container of maple syrup

-muffins (we make batches a couple times a month and freeze them, a frozen muffin will thaw by lunch time)

-ham roll ups skewered with a fun pick

-a small handful of cashews, almonds, or peanuts

I'm a big softie and usually include a little treat of some sort, emphasis on little. They could be 4-5 M&M's, some chocolate covered raisins, a few chocolate chips mixed in with her cashews, or a small cookie.

I'm with bookluvingbabe and just strive for a balanced lunch everyday without worrying about any particular component. This means that some days her lunches were an unorthodox combination like a banana muffin with a side of salami, edamame, and milk but it was balanced and all things she would eat.

I love the idea of doing veggie sushi for lunch and will have to try that this year. I can't believe that school starts in another week and another year of packed lunches is ahead of me.

At our public school in Arlington, most of the first graders wore still bringing their lunches although there were a few more who bought than last year in K. We did get a flyer from the cafeteria staff last year saying that they were in the process of outfitting the kitchen to allow them to cook lunches from scratch every day and that the more school lunches we bought, the faster they would achieve their goal. I talked to some other moms about it and the details seemed very vague so we weren't sure what to think.

After seeing several references to rice balls, does anyone have recipes that they use that have held up well for packing in a lunch box? I am not sure if people are talking more about Japanese style rice balls or fried Italian style ones (like the risotto balls at Dean and DeLuca)?

After seeing several references to rice balls, does anyone have recipes that they use that have held up well for packing in a lunch box? I am not sure if people are talking more about Japanese style rice balls or fried Italian style ones (like the risotto balls at Dean and DeLuca)?

No recipe, just used a short grain sticky rice, chilled it after cooking, and gathered into a ball and squeezed. Pack in a plastic container.

I also use short grain steamed rice (currently koshihikari from California), still warm from the cooker. I use the technique one of my Japanese friends taught me: have dishes of water and salt set nearby, wet and salt your hands, dig out a wodge of rice the size you want your rice ball, shape it into a loose ball, make a pocket in the middle and put in whatever filling you want, form the rice around the center. Wrap in seaweed if you want, or just in plastic and keep the seaweed separate until it's time to eat if you prefer crisp seaweed. I use pickled plums, tuna salad, or flaked cooked salmon (canned in a pinch) for fillings.

I also use short grain steamed rice (currently koshihikari from California), still warm from the cooker. I use the technique one of my Japanese friends taught me: have dishes of water and salt set nearby, wet and salt your hands, dig out a wodge of rice the size you want your rice ball, shape it into a loose ball, make a pocket in the middle and put in whatever filling you want, form the rice around the center. Wrap in seaweed if you want, or just in plastic and keep the seaweed separate until it's time to eat if you prefer crisp seaweed. I use pickled plums, tuna salad, or flaked cooked salmon (canned in a pinch) for fillings.

You make onigiris, right?

Forgot to mention that in the original post. Yes, I make onigiri.

I gave in to temptation at Super H today (Fairfax store on Rt. 50) and bought a heart-shaped onigiri mold. We already had the triangle shapes. Our favorite filling for the kid is flying fish roe; for the adults it is umiboshi.

When I was a kid, I would eat individual meat loaves baked in muffin tins for lunch. Room temperature or cold. Would any of your kids eat leftover meatballs if you packed them without heating them up in a thermos? With a dipping sauce?

When I was a kid, one of my fave breakfasts was when my mom would tuck a slice of balogna into a muffin tin, crack an egg in the middle and bake it for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees. The bologna crisped up and the egg was cooked through, so it made a great walking-to-the-bus-stop breakfast for me.

I think I'll make them this week for the new kindergartener that resides in my house and is proud to call herself so. :(

adding to the "what not to bring" stories, a school in PA sent home this note: "Due to the increased number of students with severe food allergies," it reads, "treats for birthdays need to be limited to food items that are commercially prepared and individually wrapped and sealed with ingredients listed on the package." "Homemade treats are not permitted for distribution and will be returned."

Actually, that's wording that's been getting passed around like wildfire from one school district lawyer to another.

I've seen the exact same note from MoCo, my nephew's school in Colorado, and my cousin's school in Florida.

Ugg it's so frustrating. On the one hand I don't think food allergies should be considered a disability under federal statutes, but on the other if they aren't a disability then the school might not be required to offer alternative lunch options everyday. But I really don't think food allergies should be a disability within the meaning of Federal Law, but apparently they think so.

It is so frustrating because even though teachers have immunity for actions within their jobs, that ends with gross negligence, which is a jury question, which means any judgment call can be scrutinized in court, which means lawyers and money, which schools try to avoid at all costs, but limiting snacks to packaged foods, individually wrapped means you can even do cupcakes or apples or bananas. It pretty much subjects them to a lot of high fructose corn syrup and junk food unless parents are very picky, which after being so frustrated by all these rules I can see why many would just throw their hands up, or not want to participate. Are they going to have alternate snacks in case a parent brings in snacks with gluten or nuts for those children that can't have them or toss the whole bunch? Because at this point it seems like the school should just start providing snacks.

Food allergies are very serious. But at a point all these rules just get to be a little silly. I would say it's all my fault, but I don't practice that type of law :(

adding to the "what not to bring" stories, a school in PA sent home this note: "Due to the increased number of students with severe food allergies," it reads, "treats for birthdays need to be limited to food items that are commercially prepared and individually wrapped and sealed with ingredients listed on the package." "Homemade treats are not permitted for distribution and will be returned."

at my niece's elementary school in georgia nothing that requires a knife can be brought as a treat... um.

... It pretty much subjects them to a lot of high fructose corn syrup and junk food unless parents are very picky, which after being so frustrated by all these rules I can see why many would just throw their hands up, or not want to participate ...

At my daughter's school (public ES in MoCo), they collected a list of all food allergies at the beginning of the year. Any kid that has a birthday during the year, the parent sends a check in to the room parent if they want a treat for the kid's birthday, and the room parent takes care of the snacks. Since the room parent can plan in advance, and know the rules and allergies, the kids get a variety of decent treats for birthdays. (If the parent declines the check, the kids get a celebration with no treat, and kids who have birthdays outside the school year can celebrate a half birthday instead)

Ugg it's so frustrating. On the one hand I don't think food allergies should be considered a disability under federal statutes, but on the other if they aren't a disability then the school might not be required to offer alternative lunch options everyday. But I really don't think food allergies should be a disability within the meaning of Federal Law, but apparently they think so.

It is so frustrating because even though teachers have immunity for actions within their jobs, that ends with gross negligence, which is a jury question, which means any judgment call can be scrutinized in court, which means lawyers and money, which schools try to avoid at all costs, but limiting snacks to packaged foods, individually wrapped means you can even do cupcakes or apples or bananas. It pretty much subjects them to a lot of high fructose corn syrup and junk food unless parents are very picky, which after being so frustrated by all these rules I can see why many would just throw their hands up, or not want to participate. Are they going to have alternate snacks in case a parent brings in snacks with gluten or nuts for those children that can't have them or toss the whole bunch? Because at this point it seems like the school should just start providing snacks.

Food allergies are very serious. But at a point all these rules just get to be a little silly. I would say it's all my fault, but I don't practice that type of law :(

My school (I'm a teacher in MCPS) has resorted to providing birthday snacks. MCPS- approved fruit smoothies are doled out in the cafeteria as birthday treats. Schools really have to take a hard line on "outside" food provided to students. Although it may be parents purchasing and bringing in the treats, ultimately it's the school's liability if someone has an allergic reaction or gets sick. And yes, it can ultimately affect the teacher who dished out the treat. Foremost, I would hate to think I had anything to do with a child having an allergic reaction and on a different level I could potentially lose my job.

The sad thing, in the case of my school, is that these treats are PTA funded and we're not the kind of school where our PTA has enough money to provide Promethean boards. So the money used for birthday treats means fewer resources for our school community.

I can't say I'm 100% upset at these regulations. We've had some parents drop off full sheet cakes for their child's class to enjoy at lunch but can't stay for the celebration. That means our cafeteria staff or the paraeducators on cafeteria duty have to cut and serve the cake. In what ends up being about a 20 minute lunch period after all students go through the line and get seated. And make sure all milk cartons are opened, all straws can punch the hole in the juicebox, and all Lunchables opened and bananas peeled. But I digress....

Somehow I survived as a child allergic to nuts in MCPS (and in life), but it was a far less litigious society back then. I did have some close calls back then with food provided at school, but my parents believed that it was ultimately my responsibility to check labels religiously (we discovered my allergy when I was 8) and to politely refuse anything that could be questionable and I still follow that guideline as an adult. Believe me, as an MCPS employee I'm all too familiar with rules and guidelines and the like that just don't make sense, but in this case the rule is silly until a child goes into anaphylactic shock and you were the one who served the treat.

At my daughter's school (public ES in MoCo), they collected a list of all food allergies at the beginning of the year. Any kid that has a birthday during the year, the parent sends a check in to the room parent if they want a treat for the kid's birthday, and the room parent takes care of the snacks. Since the room parent can plan in advance, and know the rules and allergies, the kids get a variety of decent treats for birthdays. (If the parent declines the check, the kids get a celebration with no treat, and kids who have birthdays outside the school year can celebrate a half birthday instead)

That seems to make much more sense to me. And it alleviates the teacher from the duty, which shouldn't be put on them. In most cases the school would not be liable unless a teacher committed gross negligence, which is a high standard, but I can understand them being hyper sensitive. It just seems to be a little silly to send this home to parents instead of just providing something at this point. With all the other regulations they are putting in place for parent foods. If you are going to be that hyper sensitive then provide it or put the job on someone who volunteers for it.

That seems to make much more sense to me. And it alleviates the teacher from the duty, which shouldn't be put on them. In most cases the school would not be liable unless a teacher committed gross negligence, which is a high standard, but I can understand them being hyper sensitive. It just seems to be a little silly to send this home to parents instead of just providing something at this point. With all the other regulations they are putting in place for parent foods. If you are going to be that hyper sensitive then provide it or put the job on someone who volunteers for it.

That idea does make sense, and it sounds like that could work for schools lucky enough to have room parents. I think the problem with schools providing birthday treats is that schools aren't allowed to spend county, state or federal money on things that don't have a direct educational impact and birthday snacks don't fall into that category. I'm sure some principals out there have done it in the past and gotten away with it, but lots of principals are extreme sticklers for the rules. If the onus was put on schools to provide the snacks, who would pay for them? Good luck trying to convince the county to add that to their budget :(

I'm glad to hear that the school wouldn't be liable unless a teacher committed gross negligence, but that also usually means that the teacher is put on unpaid administrative leave while the case is investigated. This is all, of course, worst case scenario, but it would just be a horrible situation to be in all around.

Yes, the rules can appear frustrating to someone who doesn't deal with them, nor has a classroom of someone else's children to take care of all day. But think about this: every parent can tell you of times when their children, just one or two of them, slipped out of their sight and did something unsafe when they aren't watching. Now imagine 30 kids you are responsible for, one of whom has a serious allergy. And one day the kid, who sees all of their friends eating good stuff that they aren't allowed to eat, decides to sneak whatever forbidden fruit is in front of them. Recipe for disaster.

On the other hand, what if the school decides that they aren't going to impose on the other parents just because one student has severe allergies. So they decide that the student has to eat lunch alone in their classroom. Is that fair?

There is no win in these situations. As for only providing treats that are store-bought, it is the only way to ensure that if the cake or whatever was made in a kitchen where peanuts or wheat or whatever is not used. This can't be guaranteed at home.

If food allergies become Federal Law then these students become eligible for special education services which they don't need. They should have a 504 plan which covers medical problems.

at my niece's elementary school in georgia nothing that requires a knife can be brought as a treat... um.

It's not as absurd as it sounds. Many schools forbid knifes of all kind, including plastic. Parents often send in a knife to be helpful to cut the cake because, you know, what classroom has a knife for cutting cakes lying around? Not something I kept in my classroom. If the school makes it clear from the beginning of the year there is no confusion. Just send in cupcakes!

Daniel, you know I love you, but as lmnop said, it's just not realistic in most schools. Nor, to be honest, is it fair. What about the kid whose family can't afford to send in a check? Montgomery County prides itself on mixed income housing which leads to more integrated school so this is a realistic problem.

There is no good answer to any of this. I've had parents on both side of the table complain about how hard it is and they are both right. But I stick with what I said up thread, until you've been the one to use the epi pen, or even watch one of your students need it, it's not hard to understand why the restrictions are needed.

On another note, it's worth pointing out that food allergies are more common in schools where the students are middle and upper class...

Daniel, you know I love you, but as lmnop said, it's just not realistic in most schools. Nor, to be honest, is it fair. What about the kid whose family can't afford to send in a check? Montgomery County prides itself on mixed income housing which leads to more integrated school so this is a realistic problem.

I was actually trying to point out my school's policy as a positive - if the kids parents don't want a snack at the party, they still have a party, just no snack. The kids don't know it's because the parents don't send money - some parties have snacks, and others don't. It runs about 50/50 in her class. Rebecca actually chose NOT to have a snack for her party last year.

School starts Tuesday, my DS still eats whatever is available at the cafeteria (I don't ask, the lunch allotment just gets used up), but my daughter (middle school) is picky & a pescetarian, & just likes to collect lunch boxes, I think-most recent addition is an insulated panda/Arctic Zone. She plans on packing salads & fruit, but doesn't like to wake up early, or pack ahead, or eat leftovers...we'll see how it goes.

We started K last week and we have yet another set of lunch conventions to follow. This year they don't heat up lunches nor do they have fridges in the classroom. So the much more typical situation. But he's gotten used to having a hot meat entree--typically roasted chicken or slices of tongue or a slice of pizza once in a great while.

He's agreed that cold chicken isn't bad. We bought a thermos so he can have chili and other soups and stews as I get around to making them.

He decided that he doesn't like sandwiches anymore. I'll have to see if he'll do hummus and crackers.

There is a hot lunch option beginning next month that we will explore too. But in the meantime, we are definitely seeking new ideas.

My 12 year-old "discovered" fresh mozzarella recently. Yesterday's main course for lunch was an alternating stack of sliced tomato, mozzarella, and basil leaves from the garden, plus some EVOO and a little fresh ground pepper. We're transitioning her into making her own lunches, so I think this will be a regular dish for another 2 months or so, until we get into pink styrofoam tomato season. It is fast, easy, and delicious. She's a little underweight, so the fat content of the cheese is not currently a concern.

& there was also the piece in Wednesday's Post food section on Mrs. Fabio (Maria) Trabocchi, who tweets her kids' lunches-I was impressed that her kids eat fish quite often, I have been able to get my daughter to take fish in occasionally, & shrimp more often...