Beer Can Chicken Advice Needed

erikv

So somehow I've got it in my mind that I'm going to try cooking Beer Can Chicken for the first time this weekend and would appreciate any and all advice/tips I could get. I've never done it before, but love beer and chicken, so I figure it's hard to go wrong....thanks

Here's a dry rub that you might enjoy:

1 tablespoon of onion powder

1 tablespoon of garlic powder

1 tablespoon of oregano

1 tablespoon of paprika

1 tablespoon of black pepper

1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon of brown sugar

I would only use about one-half of the beer in the can, and you'll get the best flavor with a darker beer. Drink the rest with confidence.

And yes, it is important to use an aluminium beer can.

One thing to keep in mind is that the beer doesn't really flavor the chicken, unless you're using a very strong beer, so be sure to season the chicken liberally. Its really more there to provide steam. This will be the moistest chicken you've even had (is moistest a word?). I've know some people even use cans of soda instead of beer. I can't vouch for that, but its a thought.

A lot depends on what kind of grill you are using. Best to go long and slow so a bullet smoker is best.

Here is a recipe:

click

Good recipe - but if you have just a standard weber you won't be able to get it to go to such a low temp so it will take about 1/2 the time (indirect heat). You will find a thermometer for checking the internal temp essential for this.

A lot depends on what kind of grill you are using. Best to go long and slow so a bullet smoker is best.

Here is a recipe:

click

Good recipe - but if you have just a standard weber you won't be able to get it to go to such a low temp so it will take about 1/2 the time (indirect heat). You will find a thermometer for checking the internal temp essential for this.

Is the lid of the standard Weber high enough to accomodate a chicken standing up? (Possibly depends on the size of the chicken?) Also, I'll Barbeques Galore sells those wire rack things that you shove up the bird's butt which holds the beer can and makes it easy to stand the chicken up.

Is the lid of the standard Weber high enough to accomodate a chicken standing up? (Possibly depends on the size of the chicken?) Also, I'll Barbeques Galore sells those wire rack things that you shove up the bird's butt which holds the beer can and makes it easy to stand the chicken up.

Nope, just tried tonight with a 4.25 pound chicken and could not get it to close all the way.

Did the beer-can chicken with some standard bbq rub and an amstel light can (was hoping to find something like Dale's Pale Ale, but couldn't) . It came out exceptionally well and everyone at my dinner party raved about it. So needless to say, I will be adding the beer can chicken to my small arsenal of recipes.

For those who have never done this, do not be intimidated (I was at first). It is VERY easy and delicious. Thanks for everyone's help!

It's been about 5 yrs since I've participated in beer can chicken. Does anyone use a drip can for the beer seepage or do you just move the coals to the sides and let it drip?

I used a friend's gas grill and placed a throw-away aluminum tray to catch drippage. I also only turned on one set of the burners and placed the chicken on the other side of the grill so it would use indirect heat (preventing any burn). I cant wait to try this out on a charcoal grill...mmm