Dupont Grille, Jury's Washington Hotel - Chef Russel Cunningham on Dupont Circle - Jury is Out.

after a great meal at the underappreciated Dupont Grille

Stopped by for an after-theater drink and was surprised at how "empty" the place was. Great location, outdoor seating, huge floor-to-ceiling glass walls that open onto the street. Initially thought they were closing down at 10 p.m. In fact, they were still serving dinner and drinks. The (fill-in) bartender took especially good care of me after a horrid evening. biggrin.gif RW dinner menu looked interesting; I think I'll pass on lunch. What's the word on the street about this place?

Stopped by for an after-theater drink and was surprised at how "empty" the place was. Great location, outdoor seating, huge floor-to-ceiling glass walls that open onto the street. Initially thought they were closing down at 10 p.m. In fact, they were still serving dinner and drinks. The (fill-in) bartender took especially good care of me after a horrid evening. :) RW dinner menu looked interesting; I think I'll pass on lunch. What's the word on the street about this place?

Remember, it is August. Let's see if things pick up a bit after folks come back into town.

This place doesn't exactly lack publicity: I get as many Heather-Freeman press releases for this restaurant as for anywhere else in town. Most recently, about their new chef Russel Cunningham whose bio, quite frankly, does not sound the least bit promising:

Cunningham, will be responsible for the 125-seat Dupont Grille, as well as room and banquet

services for the property... Hailing from the Lone Star state, Cunningham brings over 12 years of experience to his new role, having earned his culinary arts diploma from the Texas Culinary Academy in 1994. Most recently the executive banquet chef for Volume Services America’s "Centerplate," in the Washington Convention Center, Cunningham’s expertise lies in large-scale executions, having also served as the executive chef for Volume Services America at the Miami Beach Convention Center and in Ocean City, MD.

Dupont Grille has two vegetarian entrees that are fantastic. Arborio-crusted eggplant napoleon served over lentils consists of a layer of black lentils in a broth (the menu says ginger-carrot, but I do not remember the broth having such distinct flavors; it was good, though) with thick fried slices of breaded eggplant forming the top and bottom of the napoleon and roasted vegetables (largely tomatoes, I believe) forming the middle. I had this dish last year, and again last month, and it sticks out in my mind as one of the most thoughtful (and enjoyable) vegetarian entrees available in area non-ethnic restaurants. My girlfriend also loves it. The online menu still uses the word "napoleon," but the menu I got last month dropped the word. Regardless, same dish.

The other superb vegetarian entree is the wok-fried tofu. The entree is fairly simple: basmati rice with watercress and peas threaded throughout supporting a large, battered piece of soft, moist tofu. The carrot-cardamom curry heaped on top of the tofu and rice is starkly orange, creamy, and delicious. The online menu correctly states that the leafy green is watercress; the menu I got last month said "bok choy," but the plate came with watercress. (I'm fairly sure I can tell the difference.)

The vegetarian entrees are only $15.00 a piece, and are sizable enough to warrant bringing home leftovers (particularly after chowing down on the breadbasket's raisin bread). I agree that this place is normally deader than Elvis in terms of diners. Considering Dupont Grille's great location and, in my limited experience, good food and service, I'm surprised that it is not busier.

Dupont Grille has two vegetarian entrees that are fantastic. Arborio-crusted eggplant napoleon served over lentils consists of a layer of black lentils in a broth (the menu says ginger-carrot, but I do not remember the broth having such distinct flavors; it was good, though) with thick fried slices of breaded eggplant forming the top and bottom of the napoleon and roasted vegetables (largely tomatoes, I believe) forming the middle. I had this dish last year, and again last month, and it sticks out in my mind as one of the most thoughtful (and enjoyable) vegetarian entrees available in area non-ethnic restaurants. My girlfriend also loves it. The online menu still uses the word "napoleon," but the menu I got last month dropped the word. Regardless, same dish.

This sounds so good! I am going to have to check it out.

Jury's Washington Hotel is part of an Irish hotel group, and proud of it.

I did know an Irishman who frequently met up with his countrymen at

Biddy Mulligan's Bar, in the Jury's Hotel. It was Irish enough for them.

Irish cuisine is a more complex problem.

We went once when we lived in the neighboorhood Nothing special and there are/were more interesting choices nearby. The only time we did go was because I was leaving on a trip the next day and we couldn't get into Firefly. (August 03.)

Jennifer

I think that sums up my thoughts about the place nicely. I've only been there once or twice and didn't have bad meals, but they're not memorable. It is an attractive space - I want to like it.... I'd probably not object to going there if others suggested it, but there are so many more interesting choices, food-wise, in a just a 5-block radius.