Buz and Ned's Real Barbecue, Richmond - Buz Grossberg Now Open in Two Locations

I ate there a week or so ago on my way back up from Raleigh, even after 2 trips to Clyde coopers the bbq was still impressive. I got a platter with beef ribs, beans and potato salad. The beef ribs were damn good, smokey and sticky and not cooked to mush. Beans were smokey and delicious, potato salad was not great, but when your mama has been making it since you can remember who else's stands a chance.

None of the above - ribs are what you want here.

It was actually a couple months ago when I went to the new location (it's huge, clean, and very well-designed). Lunch (a splurge out on the patio) cost me something close to $20 for a half-rack and a couple of sides, but I remember it being worth it.

Last question, I swear--baby backs or "jumbo" beef ribs?

I eat at Buz and Neds every time I go to Richmond, and what I really, really love are the collard greens. Ambrosia.

Used to love the herbed grilled garlic bread but now am gluten free.

The brisket recipe has been changed recently, they slice it very thin, and it's tender and delicious.

Last question, I swear--baby backs or "jumbo" beef ribs?

Heh, I didn't specify this for a reason: I don't remember (and I can see this having gone either way, although I suspect it was the pork baby backs no, I think it might have been the beef). I'm not sure which sides I ordered either, although knowing me it was probably "beans and greens" or more likely "beans and slaw" (I really like this trio). My memory is of enjoying my half-rack lunch, with a good book, in a bright sun, out on the somewhat charmless patio, trying to text Buz to let him know how much I liked it (only to have the text message bounce), and that the ceiling fan was *huge*. Also that lunch was over $20, and that the new location is smack dab in the middle of a "Route 1-esque" strip of fast food joints.

and that the ceiling fan was *huge*.

I'll bet it was from "Big Ass Fans" whose marketing is so aggressive I got a brochure and a logo pint glass, in Denver, evidently by virtue of being a "brewery in planning" two or three years ago, with the Brewer's Association, who I guess sells their membership lists, the bastards.....I believe they (the fan people) were from the Richmond area.

Nice fan though. But enormous, at least in the brochure.

I love ceiling fans, as déclassé as they are right now, & in a BBQ place, they're functional. Gotta move those smells out, especially greens...& since I live next to Rt. 1, I would be comfortable in that setting. I'm going to try & stop in there sometime soon, as much as I hate to slow down on a drive out of town.

"Buz!"

<He looked at me, with that stare of panic we all have when you know someone but can't instantly place them>

"Don Rockwell!" I said, to minimize that "awkward moment."

"What the hell are you doing here?"

"What the hell are *you* doing here?"

I was in Henrico, and decided to head to the new Buz's for a light lunch. I sat at the *wonderful* bar (if you haven't been here, you'll love it), fully stocked with beers and liquors that remind me Buz is a one serious connoisseur of cuisine, both high and low.

I broke my "6 PM Rule" and got an 8-ounce draft of Anderson Valley Winter Solstice Ale ($3.50), having asked my bartender for something on the maltier end of the spectrum. Note to self: search this beer out for home use.

Right before I got my bowl of Brunswick Stew ($5.99) is when I glanced up and saw Buz standing right in front of me, not even noticing I was there.

"This stew is great!" I told him a few minutes later.

"That's because I made it," he said.

Buz, Matt, and I have been to dinner at Edo's Squid before, and he (knowing that Matt was in town) asked me if he'd like a bowl of chili for the ride home. Sure! I tipped generously.

Later that afternoon, before our long drive home, I picked up Matt and he was starving and wanted some solid food.

"Want to go to Buz & Ned's?"

"Sure!"

So we went to the *other* one, downtown on Broad Street, for dinner. This kid was hungry, so we split a full rack of Pork Baby Back Ribs ($30.95) with baked beans and cole slaw (two sides are included). The ribs at Buz & Ned's come pre-sauced which irks purists, but these were really great ribs, a cut above anything you can find inside the beltway. And both the beans (made with fatback and maybe some pork belly) and slaw were, refreshingly, more savory than sweet

So I have a beer for lunch, but not for dinner, and I go to two iterations of the same restaurant in one day. Odd!

Odd, and strongly maintained in Italic in the Dining Guide - for both meals. Every single item, lunch and dinner, was excellent.

• Like 2

"Buz!"

<He looked at me, with that stare of panic we all have when you know someone but can't instantly place them>

"Don Rockwell!" I said, to minimize that "awkward moment."

"What the hell are you doing here?"

"What the hell are *you* doing here?"

I was in Henrico, and decided to head to the new Buz's for a light lunch. I sat at the *wonderful* bar (if you haven't been here, you'll love it), fully stocked with beers and liquors that remind me Buz is a one serious connoisseur of cuisine, both high and low.

I broke my "6 PM Rule" and got an 8-ounce draft of Anderson Valley Winter Solstice Ale ($3.50), having asked my bartender for something on the maltier end of the spectrum. Note to self: search this beer out for home use.

Right before I got my bowl of Brunswick Stew ($5.99) is when I glanced up and saw Buz standing right in front of me, not even noticing I was there.

"This stew is great!" I told him a few minutes later.

"That's because I made it," he said.

Buz, Matt, and I have been to dinner at Edo's Squid before, and he (knowing that Matt was in town) asked me if he'd like a bowl of chili for the ride home. Sure! I tipped generously.

Later that afternoon, before our long drive home, I picked up Matt and he was starving and wanted some solid food.

"Want to go to Buz & Ned's?"

"Sure!"

So we went to the *other* one, downtown on Broad Street, for dinner. This kid was hungry, so we split a full rack of Pork Baby Back Ribs ($30.95) with baked beans and cole slaw (two sides are included). The ribs at Buz & Ned's come pre-sauced which irks purists, but these were really great ribs, a cut above anything you can find inside the beltway. And both the beans (made with fatback and maybe some pork belly) and slaw were, refreshingly, more savory than sweet

So I have a beer for lunch, but not for dinner, and I go to two iterations of the same restaurant in one day. Odd!

Odd, and strongly maintained in Italic in the Dining Guide - for both meals. Every single item, lunch and dinner, was excellent.

Say hi next time (you're in Henrico, not just Buz and Ned's)

After a dinner at Rappahanock and a show the night before, and a morning of walking through the glorious Hollywood cemetery the next morning, we hit up Buz & Ned's BBQ for lunch before the trek home. We were not disappointed.

Normally, my wife and I have a rule that we not duplicate orders, but neither of us wanted to go for the beef ribs thinking we'd get stuffed. So we both had the extra heavy baby back ribs with two sides - cole slaw (decent but not great), onion rings (forgettable), cute & onion salad (very good, a smidgen too sweet though) and french fries (really good). But the ribs were great. The ribs were pure smoke, extra meaty but not falling apart, toothsome but tender and smoke, smoke, smoke. They were slightly dredges or basted in their BBQ sauce, but I am not sure if it was necessary. I'd love to have these ribs here in the DC metro area.

Is this the best BBQ I have ever had? No (that would be Smitty's in Lockhart, TX, with LC's BBQ in Kansas City coming in just beyond that). Is it really good BBQ? Yes. It's certainly better than anything I have had in the greater DC metro area (that said, I do not routinely seek it out locally, because my experiences are only OK with some exception (mainly Andy Nelson BBQ in Cockeysville, MD north of Baltimore coming to mind) - so take my point of view with that in mind.

We carted home some of their brisket for sandwiches later that evening with some of their potato salad (the potato salad was pretty good, but not exceptional). The brisket was quite good, but I was hoping for some fattier bits).

I'd go back.

post-384-0-42756700-1414858643_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I don't make a habit of re-releasing press releases, but I'm happy to make an exception for this.

(Disclaimer: I've been personal friends with Buz's brother Jim for many years, and a couple of visits to Richmond ago, the three of us stayed at Buz's house.)

---

Real Barbecue with Real Wages for Real Talent

Richmond, VA "“ (PR Newswire, August 19, 2015) "“ Today, Buz and Ned's Real Barbecue announced that it will be increasing its wages and enhancing benefits for its employees..

During a time when an increase of the minimum wage is on the battlefield, making a living wage is becoming increasingly difficult.  Buz and Ned's has come out on the side of their employees. They are accelerating the rollout of national compensation standards. They are offering great wages to employees who are willing to work hard.  

·         On August 24th, starting pay will be $12.50 per hour. Servers are paid $8.00 per hour if they accept tips.

·         Full time employees will receive comprehensive health care benefits. Buz and Ned's  pays 80% of the single rate.

·         Discounted meals are offered to all employees.

·         Paid vacation will be offered after one year of service.

·         Buz and Ned's will move towards a predominantly full-time workforce By providing higher wages, Buz Grossberg, the Buz of Buz and Ned's, believes Richmond Restaurants can attract high-caliber, more productive employees..  

Buz and Ned's is holding a Job Fair on Saturday August 22, 2015 at 1:00PM until 5:00PM, at their Broad Street location at 8205 West Broad Street, Richmond, VA.

• Like 3

I don't make a habit of re-releasing press releases, but I'm happy to make an exception for this.

(Disclaimer: I've been personal friends with Buz's brother Jim for many years, and a couple of visits to Richmond ago, the three of us stayed at Buz's house.)

---

Real Barbecue with Real Wages for Real Talent

Richmond, VA "“ (PR Newswire, August 19, 2015) "“ Today, Buz and Ned's Real Barbecue announced that it will be increasing its wages and enhancing benefits for its employees..

During a time when an increase of the minimum wage is on the battlefield, making a living wage is becoming increasingly difficult.  Buz and Ned's has come out on the side of their employees. They are accelerating the rollout of national compensation standards. They are offering great wages to employees who are willing to work hard.  

·         On August 24th, starting pay will be $12.50 per hour. Servers are paid $8.00 per hour if they accept tips.

·         Full time employees will receive comprehensive health care benefits. Buz and Ned's  pays 80% of the single rate.

·         Discounted meals are offered to all employees.

·         Paid vacation will be offered after one year of service.

·         Buz and Ned's will move towards a predominantly full-time workforce By providing higher wages, Buz Grossberg, the Buz of Buz and Ned's, believes Richmond Restaurants can attract high-caliber, more productive employees..  

Buz and Ned's is holding a Job Fair on Saturday August 22, 2015 at 1:00PM until 5:00PM, at their Broad Street location at 8205 West Broad Street, Richmond, VA.

"U.S. Labor Secretary Hails Buz & Ned's Wage Hike" by Markus Schmidt on m.richmond.com

• Like 1

Neither of them is the original- that was a kiosk outside a now defunct sporting goods store near Ashland. The Boulevard location is the first actual restaurant and is much more convenient to 95.

Yes, but the new location is a vastly better experience (IMO). You've got the craft beers, the Big Ass Fan, much less wait (which will make up for the extra 15 minute round-trip drive), the almost laughable placement amongst the fast-food joints.

I'm personal friends with Buz (I've stayed over at his house), and have been to both restaurants at least twice each, and it really all depends what you're looking for - they're so different in terms of atmosphere.

Buz, what do you think? Jim, what about you? (Jim and Buz are brothers, and Jim is an investor and 15-20-year friend - I met Buz through Jim.)

No objectivity from me here, but I *will* address your question honestly - I promise.

Just ate at Buz & Ned's for the first time on Sunday - what terrific ribs!  I knew a half-rack would be a lot of food, but I didn't realize how much. And I should've gotten the beans as a side dish, apparently (next time).

My husband has been there several times on trips to the area and has brought back their bottled sauce, which is excellent. We use it all the time on chicken from the slow cooker  (we don't make ribs or pulled pork at home, but it would of course be excellent on those). We bought two more bottles this time.