The Buddhas Of Bamiyan (507/554-2001), Gandhara Statues Carved Into The Cliffs in Bamwam Valley in Central Afghanistan

DonRocks

This could have either gone in the History forum or the Art forum, but since I try to make this non-political (he says, with clenched teeth), I chose the latter.

I had never heard of the Taliban until they destroyed the Buddhas of Bamiyan with dynamite in March, 2001 (their rationale being that they were "false idols").

UNESCO has discussed a partial or total rebuilding of one or both, but since they were almost completely destroyed, it is essentially impossible to do anything other than a modern facsimile, and given the lack of funds, the difficult location, and other legitimate financial needs, I suspect that won't happen.

The Buddhas of Bamiyan: worth remembering for at least two reasons I can think of.

If this doesn't piss you off, nothing will.

It was just mentioned to me that some people (emphasis: *some people*) might see this as parallel to taking down Confederate statues, i.e., erasing a history that doesn't suit you.

I think this is a fascinating comment, and I'm not even quite sure what it means, but there's something about it that resonates.

If you look at the previous post, it's ironic that they have laser shows on the side of Stone Mountain - I actually went to one about thirty years ago, and it was pretty darned impressive.