Smuggling Cheese

JPW

"Police arrested the 38-year-old driver, seized the cheese and confiscated the truck because he failed to declare his cargo."

Pretty serious penalty for smuggling cheese.

I feel safer already knowing he's off the street. Cheese, after all, is nothing more than a gateway food, and it would be no more than a matter of time before this sonofabitch is smuggling in capers and cocktail onions.

One of these days you're gonna see this on an episode of "24." I'm tellin' ya!

Cheese, after all, is nothing more than a gateway food, and it would be no more than a matter of time before this sonofabitch is smuggling in capers and cocktail onions.
I was once busted at SFO for bringing an illicit German ham sandwich back with me from Rheinland-Pfalz. Damn beagle started nawing on my backpack... :)

I was once busted at SFO for bringing an illicit German ham sandwich back with me from Rheinland-Pfalz. Damn beagle started nawing on my backpack... :)
Try walking off a cruise ship ship with a diet coke in your hand. The feds were on me like I was enemy number one.

There is a fat beagle at Dulles. Friendly, Rubenesque and with a pronounced ability to sniff dinner at 50 paces. I am in part responsible for a bit of his belly touching the ground when he walks. Twice he has caused me to sacrifice extraordinary excesses that I have brought back from Europe: Black Forest ham from Freiburg and salami with Chianti from Greve in Tuscany.

I swear this dog sniffed me before I got off the bus!!!!!

Perhaps I am just jealous of how much he enjoys his food and the distance at which he can distinguish the extraordinary from the mediocre....

I should have also mentioned that my encounter with the beagle in San Francisco ended with the dog getting to eat my sandwich. :lol: Considering how long it had been in my backpack (a direct FRA to SFO flight), I suppose that I wouldn't have wanted it anyway, but still...

On the other hand, I also had six bottles of Mosel Riesling that the customs officer pulled out of my bag but didn't confiscate. Which I hadn't declared. And I was 20. :)

I avoid bringing back problematic cargo in any form. If it cannot survive in the suitcase, I do not bother. But it means I often overindulge in things where I am traveling as a result. Great example - London 2010 at Borough Market at Neal's Yard. Bought 3 cheeses at a 1/4 kilo each. Was eating it here and there constantly for three days. Finished the last nibbles at the airport before going through security. Ha!

My mom was a French teacher and had lots of friends and contacts in France, so growing up we took several family vacations there.  One of the families we would visit lived in Annecy and knew one of the Beaufort producers; we would usually end up visiting their farm.  Since you couldn't get Beaufort stateside back then, she would smuggle a huge wedge in her large handbag (like 2-3 pounds worth).  That thing spent whatever time we had remaining traveling with us on ice, and then was wrapped in several layers and sometimes a souvenir tea towel for the flight home.  This was in the 80s, and I don't ever remember us having an issue.