Chick-fil-A - A Large, Atlanta-Based, Chicken-Sandwich Chain Now With a Food Truck

Actually includes Silver Spring and some DC border areas as well.

You're right - I didn't click through. It says Baltimore on the splash screen, but when you click through, a lot of the DC suburban stores in MD are participating.

Oddly, you have to actually make a reservation for a particular day and time. Think about this - you're making a reservation at a fast food place. :(

Oddly, you have to actually make a reservation for a particular day and time. Think about this - you're making a reservation at a fast food place. :(

They did this for the rollout of the Spicy Chicken Sandwich. It was weird, but I guess they got people in the store, talking to the manager.

I won 52 of those sandwiches in a contest at our local CFA. 52 epic wins.

They did this for the rollout of the Spicy Chicken Sandwich. It was weird, but I guess they got people in the store, talking to the manager.

I won 52 of those sandwiches in a contest at our local CFA. 52 epic wins.

I am a huge fan of the regular Chick-fil-a sandwich, but the spicy sandwich came across as all about the heat that I found only succeeded in overpowering all other flavors. I was left thinking that if this had either a dollop of ranch or maybe even a sweet component it would have potential, but with just two pickle slices, not so much.

I am a huge fan of the regular Chick-fil-a sandwich, but the spicy sandwich came across as all about the heat that I found only succeeded in overpowering all other flavors. I was left thinking that if this had either a dollop of ranch or maybe even a sweet component it would have potential, but with just two pickle slices, not so much.

And this is why you need to apply one container of Buttermilk Ranch Sauce to each sandwich for maximum effect...mmm

I am not trying to restart the debate upthread, but I thought this was an interesting article that explores (albeit it somewhat superficially) the occasional tension between personal beliefs and delicious food.

Politics aside, there was also the "Cult of Chick-Fil-A" article in Forbes a while back: http://members.forbes.com/forbes/2007/0723/080.html

Tidbits from the article:

- She says she can't hire a good manager who, say, moonlights at a strip club because it would irk the company. "We are watched very closely by Chick-fil-A," she says. "It's very weird."

- Many Chick-fil-A job candidates must endure a yearlong vetting process that includes dozens of interviews. Ty Yokum, the training manager for the chain, sat through 7 interviews and didn't get the job. He reapplied in 1991 and was subjected to another 17 interviews--the final one lasted five hours--and was hired.

I still don't mind eating there, though. *shrugs*

Politics aside, there was also the "Cult of Chick-Fil-A" article in Forbes a while back: http://members.forbes.com/forbes/2007/0723/080.html

Tidbits from the article:

- She says she can't hire a good manager who, say, moonlights at a strip club because it would irk the company. "We are watched very closely by Chick-fil-A," she says. "It's very weird."

- Many Chick-fil-A job candidates must endure a yearlong vetting process that includes dozens of interviews. Ty Yokum, the training manager for the chain, sat through 7 interviews and didn't get the job. He reapplied in 1991 and was subjected to another 17 interviews--the final one lasted five hours--and was hired.

I still don't mind eating there, though. *shrugs*

All of this is fine by me. Although some of it seems excessive to us, I am happy that they are willing to not just hire anyone from off the street. We rarely go eat fast food anymore, but I really enjoy Chick-Fil-A because 1) the food is good and 2) the service there is fantastic. I am personally sick and tired of going to restaurants, or anywhere for that matter, where the staff is miserable all of the time. I have never experienced that at Chick-Fil-A, I can't even say that about many of the high end establishments that we go to anymore.

For a fast food job?? I don't think Google has this high a standard!!

Only at Church's. (I am sorry.)

Bazinga!

Incidentally, this Sunday thing seems like an unnecessarily limiting business decision. If he hired more Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and atheists, they could work on the Sabbath without divine repercussions. And then everyone could have Sunday chicken, even the Christians!

Bazinga!

Incidentally, this Sunday thing seems like an unnecessarily limiting business decision. If he hired more Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and atheists, they could work on the Sabbath without divine repercussions. And then everyone could have Sunday chicken, even the Christians!

And the Seventh Day Adventists could do the managing while the Jews do the accounting!

A special strike team of Eastern Orthodox and Jehovah's Witnesses could open on the real Christmas, and the Jehovah's Witnesses would handle Easter alone!

I've never eaten at Chick-fil-A because every time I've been near one, it's been a Sunday. And they're closed on Sundays. What? God doesn't want us to eat chicken on Sundays?

The formal reason is that the CEO thinks, regardless of religion, that Sunday should be a day of rest for all. Whether or not that'll survive after he dies (he's pretty old), no one knows.

All I do know is that I was in a Chick-Fil-A in Sterling when a regional director was in there probably six months ago. The guy was getting people dipping sauces, refills of their drinks, and even *taking trays to the trash* while happily chatting to people about how much he loved his job and the 300+ franchises he was responsible for.

The one unwelcome thing I've seen in *every* CFA store, though - regardless of location - is that the inside *always* has a noticeable amount of houseflies.

The one unwelcome thing I've seen in *every* CFA store, though - regardless of location - is that the inside *always* has a noticeable amount of houseflies.

:lol: Wow, I've never noticed that.

I've experienced the other things you mentioned, though. The drink refills has been something I've experienced for a long time, but the trash service is something that more recent (in my experience). Another thing I noticed recently was employees (usually the ones walking around for refills, etc.) have full conversations with customers. I think my local Chick-Fil-A is pretty popular with moms of young kids. I know for a while my wife would meet friends there on weekday mornings for breakfast and to just hang out for a while. They get a lot of repeat customers and I think they really make an attempt to get to know those people. That's something you typically only find in small, local mom-and-pop places that have their "regulars" and not in a franchise with thousands of locations.

On top of these other things, employees are all instructed to say "my pleasure" instead of "you're welcome" or "come back again". And they pretty much all say it. Every. Single. Time. It's one of those things you don't notice until you hear about it, and then it feels like you're getting your chicken sandwich from Heaven's Gate Fryatorium.

[i ask people in advance to please keep religious or political debates outside this forum - there are plenty of them going on elsewhere (which is why I even mention it). I enjoy reading them, and respect people for having different viewpoints - just not here because that's really out of our purlieu, and more importantly, the "spirit of comradery" - which binds us all - that I wish to maintain on this website. You know, I've just always loved the fact that people here break bread together, regardless of their personal beliefs. That means so much to me. Thanks!]

Incidentally, there are now currently over 1,600 Chik-Fil-A locations nationwide (up from 1,300 last time I updated the Multiple Locations Dining Guide, and as of this writing, there seem to be about 20 in the Baltimore-Washington corridor based on a crude reading of their website locator map. (I was just updating the dining guide, and researched that, so thought I'd throw it in.)

I've found their sandwiches extremely sodium-laden of late, and that may well be because I'm more sensitive to MSG as I've gotten a bit older (I've yet to see them deny using MSG). I also think they heat (and retain their heat) very well in those steamy metallic-like bags. Personally, I get an "original" and "waffle fries" virtually every time I go - the consistency is quite good, whether you're in Hagerstown, or an airport. Chik-Fil-A makes for a fine interstate car-scarf, if you can find one, and remains perhaps the best place to eat at King's Dominion. At the end of the day, this is all probably just Weaver chicken purchased on a large contract, despite it being a tasty product (could this be considered a "dry rub?")

[All comments regarding their food items are encouraged, with my sincere thanks in advance for using this as the proper venue for food-related discussion. Cheers, Rocks]

I have written much about Chik-Fil_A and gay marriage, but my words only wound up on NBC-4, HuffingtonPost.com, Citypaper.Com and in a post on DCist many times longer and more thoughtful than the original post I said "f*ck-em both" to Chik-Fil_A and DCist.

Hey, speaking of which I just noticed a new Chick-fil-A in the same shopping center as X.O. Taste yesterday!

I'll happily give them their devout Christianity; I struggle with the MSG ...

Hey, speaking of which I just noticed a new Chick-fil-A in the same shopping center as X.O. Taste yesterday!

I'll happily give them their devout Christianity; I struggle with the MSG ...

Was it open? I'd only seen it being built. I can't bear to walk into Ballston Mall anymore, although the Crystal City location is convenient.

But there's a Popeye's in Willston Center, which is approximately infinity times eleventy zillion better than Upchuck-Fil-A.

Do you really think Popeye's is better than Chick-fil-A?! I know it's a matter of personal preference (*), but really? This is the first time I've ever heard anyone say this.

(*) And surely, with fast food, it's purely a matter of what tastes better to whom, so no strong disagreements here, but Chick-fil-A is without any doubt the best fast-food (i.e., drive-thru) fried chicken breast sandwich I've ever had, and I don't see this even being a close call. Wendy's Spicy Chicken Fillet wasn't all that bad when they first started it twenty years ago, but I don't think it was Chick-fil-A quality. This all said, I've only had it a couple times in the past couple of years, so maybe it went downhill.

Do you really think Popeye's is better than Chick-fil-A?! I know it's a matter of personal preference (*), but really? This is the first time I've ever heard anyone say this.

I really do think this. (I generally mean what I say.) To be fair, my sample size for Chick-fil-A is a grand total of one. One sandwich, one "restaurant" (there must be a better word for this type of establishment, but I can't think of it), while I've had many meals at or from several different Popeye's instances. Also to be fair, Popeye's and Chick-fil-A don't do anything like the same thing. I've never had a sandwich at Popeye's, and a sandwich is all I've had at CfA. The sandwich was, frankly, wretched. The chicken was dry, the bread was horrible, and the not-very-good pickle chips were the best part. But then, boneless chicken breast is usually dry and it's almost never interesting. All I've ever had at Popeye's was bone-in, skin-on fried chicken parts with a side, almost always red beans and rice which are almost always excellent. The chicken is always perfectly cooked, with a crisp batter coating and juicy flesh within. (I don't eat the biscuit because I don't like them.) Popeye's is, in fact, the only fast-food chain I'll patronize other than as a last resort.

I have not had a CfA sandwich in over 20 year but I recall liking the few that I ate many moons ago. I would certainly choose them over a Big Mac or a Whopper today. That being said, I would absolutely choose Popeye's for a wing, breast and red beans & rice or mashed potatoes over CfA any day. That stuff is like fast food crack to me. I'm so sad the Popeye's on Columbia Rd. closed. The 14th st location has always kind of bothered me.

I really do think this. (I generally mean what I say.) . . . All I've ever had at Popeye's was bone-in, skin-on fried chicken parts with a side, almost always red beans and rice which are almost always excellent. The chicken is always perfectly cooked, with a crisp batter coating and juicy flesh within. (I don't eat the biscuit because I don't like them.) Popeye's is, in fact, the only fast-food chain I'll patronize other than as a last resort.

For what it's worth, Tom Sietsema has often said that Popeye's is his favorite fast-food indulgence.

Back to Chick-fil-A, my partner is retiring next week, and his office will be serving CFA chicken fingers at his retirement reception as the main hors d'oeuvres (which tells you a lot about why he's anxious to retire!). A bit ironic/grating, given CfA's politics, but I hope they're at least as tasty as the sandwiches, which I have enjoyed in the past more than most fast food (but, as The Hersch notes, I think it was the pickle chips that I liked best).

I'm parital to Chik-fil-a's chicken salad sandwich. Wish it had more chicken and less bread, but one of the more reliable fast food options out there. And their brewed tea is good enough that I buy the gallon jugs sometimes when I'm too lazy to brew my own.

On the other topic - I certainly don't begrudge them their religious beliefs, although there have been several Sundays at Lowes where I would have loved to have made a stop. But their politics are the equivalent of a plain Hardee's hamburger (i.e. the worst fast food item I could think of).

Was it open? I'd only seen it being built. I can't bear to walk into Ballston Mall anymore, although the Crystal City location is convenient.

Not yet. As of this past Tuesday, equipment was being moved in as I drove past it on the way to Target. Little man is pretty excited, since he likes the children's meal there (and I like because they don't give toys as part of the kids meal -- they give educational stuff).

I really like how open they are on their nutritional facts. As I am getting more and more sensitive to ingredients, it helps how detailed they list their ingredients on their website or have available in their stores.

I generally try to avoid fast food chains, although I admit to having eaten chicken at both Popeye's and Chik-fil-A. Frankly, I think Bojangle's, which I have had as road food meals on the way to visit my daughter in Chapel Hill is better than either of them.

I generally try to avoid fast food chains, although I admit to having eaten chicken at both Popeye's and Chik-fil-A. Frankly, I think Bojangle's, which I have had as road food meals on the way to visit my daughter in Chapel Hill is better than either of them.

I think North Carolina just has better fried chicken. The Bojangles in the food court basement of Union Station isn't as good as the Popeye's on H St. NE, IMO.

As with Chick-fil-A, my experience with Bojangles is limited to one meal at one location (both in the dreary town of Wilson NC), so not a lot of data. Bojangles and Popeye's do essentially the very same thing, unlike Chick-fil-A, so comparisons are more straightforward. When I ate the Bojangles meal, my reaction was immediate and uncompromising. I said to myself, "this is just like Popeye's, only shitty."

I think North Carolina just has better fried chicken. The Bojangles in the food court basement of Union Station isn't as good as the Popeye's on H St. NE, IMO.

Indeed. The Bojangles outside of North Carolina have a noticeable drop in quality, and even those near the borders run on the dicey side.

As for Chick-fil-A, I happen to love it. Whoever came up with the idea of pressure cooking their chicken is a genius, because it’s a drastic improvement over the bone dry / fried versions most competitors put out (for fear of salmonella). The MSG is another deft touch, and I’ve rarely encountered less than gracious service at any location.

I completely respect and understand anybody who boycotts Chick-fil-A because of political standing, but those chicken nuggets with Polynesian sauce have turned me into an amoral consumer. I’d still eat here if the Fojol Bros. were serving me and the seating areas were designated by race.

I completely respect and understand anybody who boycotts Chick-fil-A because of political standing, but those chicken nuggets with Polynesian sauce have turned me into an amoral consumer. I’d still eat here if the Fojol Bros. were serving me and the seating areas were designated by race.

:P

Whoever came up with the idea of pressure cooking their chicken is a genius

The original pressure fryer was invented by L.A.M. Phelan in the 1950s and is known as the Broaster. There are now other makers of similar equipment, and I think all the fried chicken chains use one kind or another. It's certainly not an innovation of Chick-fil-A.