Chick-fil-A - A Large, Atlanta-Based, Chicken-Sandwich Chain Now With a Food Truck

I first ate at Popeye's on Canal street in 1981 and virtually camped out on H street, N. E. when the first one opened here (OK, I'm exaggerating!). But Popeye's over the years has been frustrating. At it's best (i.e. when they change the grease the night before-NOT when they filter it but when they CHANGE it) I would argue it is decently close to the best restaurant fried chicken anywhere. Certainly the best of any fast food outlet. But it is only perhaps two nights a week when they do this.

If you're there a couple of days out, it's not very good.

I inherited a heavy cast iron skillet that now has over 100 years of blackened crust on it and has never seen a drop of soap. I honestly believe there is no place on earth that makes better fried chicken or pork chops than what is fried in it. Fluffo, Crisco...

Popeye's, the night after the grease is changed, won't make me forget the skillet. But it's good enough to have me ask what nights they change the oil.

The alternative to "plain white shortening":

There's nothing like fresh grease...

That's a great link, & I'm definitely going to try it-I grew up in the sticks (Sneads Ferry,NC), but my area had a Chick-Fil-A long before there was a McDonald's in the area ( how strange is that?), so I have a nostalgic fondness for the chicken sandwiches. Now, although there's one in Springfield (closest to me), I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there...

Very creepy...Tom would absolutely plotz if I suggested something like this...mostly, he just asks for money (when he's not working) & gets his own food...he does occasionally cook for his girlfriend (& leaves me a messy kitchen) & goes out to eat (I pass along a few groupons/coupons).

When I used to order from Chick-fil-a regularly I always took the pickles off and added mayo.

That was clearly wrong, bad, and stupid.

Today I had my first sandwich from there in years. I did nothing but pull it out of the bag and eat it and OH MY GOD IT WAS SO GOOD.

Now to wait another few years before having one again.

• Like 1

When I used to order from Chick-fil-a regularly I always took the pickles off and added mayo.

Today I had my first sandwich from there in years. I did nothing but pull it out of the bag and eat it and OH MY GOD IT WAS SO GOOD.

I'm pretty sure they've changed the corporate recipe within the past few years.

I like Chick Fil A.  Specifically their breakfast burritos and their grilled chicken and grilled chicken club sandwiches.  They have something called "Chick Fil A" sauce in a little tub like container which is delicious.  It is also 140 calories for about two ounces.  Years ago I made a wrong turn near the Atlanta airport and found a place called the Dwarf House which was like a Toddle House with a Chick Fil A menu.  Sometime later I found out I had unintentionally eaten at Chick Fil A #1.

• Like 1

I as well didn't eat them for many years and recently started up again. The Fair Lakes, VA location is the one which I've tried and the drive-thru surprisingly is busy enough for two lanes of ordering take out. I heard they are one of the busiest locations in the country.

We had the same taste with Chick-fil-a. Mayo on the bun without the pickles. I remember when it opened up at Tysons II Galeria and they would cut up pieces of chicken and pass it out in the food court. I really need to make a healthy version of it at home before it becomes a habit lunch place.  

So there's one of these open in Tysons now - in the same recessed sunken shopping center as the Best Buy and Golfsmith, between Stohlman Subaru and the Embassy Suites.

I did not think that would be an advantageous place to locate a fast food joint, but evidently Chipotle thought the same thing, and decided to be their neighbors.  Oh well, certainly a lot quicker to get to than the one in Fairfax, but I'm pretty certain whatever time I'd save going to the one in Tysons would be spent trying to merge back onto Route 7 afterwards.

So there's one of these open in Tysons now - in the same recessed sunken shopping center as the Best Buy and Golfsmith, between Stohlman Subaru and the Embassy Suites.

I did not think that would be an advantageous place for a fast food joint, but evidently Chipotle thought the same thing, and decided to be their neighbors.  Oh well, certainly a lot quicker to get to than the one in Fairfax, but I'm pretty certain whatever time I'd save going to the one in Tysons would be spent trying to merge back onto Route 7 afterwards.

I suspect they both got the spaces on the cheap.