Yeah-We decided that we are living here for a while.  We have had several couples cooking at once and there is plenty or room.  What you don't see if that one wall is essentially all glass with 4 6' sliders opening up to the desk with a view of the South River and Chesapeake Bay.

Flanking the freezer/Frig are pantries as there are no closets or doors.  In fact we gave up a formal living room when we expanded and built the kitchen.  The Refrigerator in the right has two pull out drawers so the door did not weight a ton.

Having a dishwasher drawer is great as we mostly use that as opposed to the full size dishwasher.

Countertops are all caeserstone. We liked the options.

I'm in the market for a built-in wine cooler and am having trouble finding something with good reviews in the middle range between the cheapo $250 models and ones running several thousands of dollars (which get great reviews obviously but are out of my budget).  Anyone look into these recently and have any good recommendations?

Also, LPT for anyone doing kitchen remodeling with small kids - the Reico in Springfield has a kids playroom where you can drop the little ones so you can browse and talk to the consultants there without interruption.  Genius!

We put in 2 Marvel coolers in our island.  One for wine and one for beer.  So far they have been performing well and would recommend.

• Like 1

I believe the stools are from Basset Furniture.   We eat most of our meals in that part of the kitchen. 

The tile installer was great, his grout lines are amazing.  And he didn't break one glass tile!!!

We are currently in the design phase to remodel our first floor which will likely include moving the small kitchen from a back corner to the center of our long, narrow row house. I've never had an island before but think we'll likely need/want a big one for extra counter space and storage underneath. Any suggestions on storage solutions - whether special types of cabinets for pots, good spice storage solutions, kitchen "essentials" beyond the basics?  I'm think we may want to put in a wine fridge and maybe one of those pot filler faucets by the stove.  Please tell me what cool things you love in your or other people's kitchens that we should consider. It is a blank slate right now.

Big deep drawers for pots.

A sink big enough for your largest pan/cookie sheet to sit flat on the bottom.  

More outlets.  I don't care how many you think are enough, you'll want more.

Don't have and wish I did:  roll out tall-boy pantry

I second the roll out tall boy pantry. It is my favorite item in my kitchen. So easy to organize spices, vinegars, oils etc. 

Assuming you have a hood over the island, consider hanging short cabinetry/shelves on both sides (with light & outlets far away from potential splatter) as any space way up there is otherwise wasted and makes good storage for tableware/pantry/small appliance miscellany.  A recessed counter-top compost bin next to the double sink is the next best thing

Our remodel included 2 dishwashers. One is a 1/2 drawer dishwasher which we use most of the time,  Highly recommended.

We also got the biggest sink we liked.  Including the wet area it is 45" x 18-1/2" x 9-13/16" .. Huge

Almost all of our cabinets have drawers, even the pantry's have pull outs inside the doors.  The back of the island has a few regular cabinets for odd items like the stand mixer.  My pots go in the  4 drawers on either side of the stove, on the right is a small pull out which holds tongs and tools. 

Also have a dedicated knife drawer with soft inserts.

http://www.photopian.com/galleries/kenwood/streger/

Anyone know anything about the Hestan rangetops?  Can’t find any reviews online.

And an aesthetic question.  I rarely seem to want appliances from the same manufacturer. But I’m kinda worried about ending up with 5 different variations on stainless steel in a fairly small kitchen.  (Not to mention 5 different repair services.)

How did you handle this?  Or is it a non-issue?

I can vouch for my Wolf range, 6 burners plus French cooktop.  All the specs regarding BTUS are overkill as there is no way regularly turn one burner on high except to boil water and turning all 7 to high would heat the house.

The stainless on my range match the stainless on my sub-zeros as well as my Asko and Fisher Paykel dishwashers and Kohler sink. 

In our old condo- we had a Kenmore fridge ss, next to a Bosch range and microwave both ss, it all had the same exact color, ours didn't really have any color variation, but I don't know if other brands do?

2016 remodel. GE Refrigerator, Bosch dishwasher, Frigidaire stove and microwave. No problems with matching. 

16 hours ago, MarkS said:

All the specs regarding BTUS are overkill as there is no way regularly turn one burner on high except to boil water and turning all 7 to high would heat the house.

Just to make sure I understand, is your point that the formula for the right cfm for a rangehood assumes the simultaneous use of all burners and that’s unrealistic in a home environment?

And thanks, all, for reassurance re using stainless steel appliances from different manufacturers!  One less thing to worry about. 

The point is that all these ranges get pans uber hot, way beyond what is typically needed.  I.E.  If you sauté on high you must tend to that pan constantly and simply can not do the same if you had 3,4 or 5 pans at that high setting.

Ah, ok, thanks!  I want one really hot burner for the wok, but, yeah, I’m not going to be managing more than 1 or 2 pans at once (with the second most likely just simmering or steaming). 

Just completely redid our entire kitchen from studs out - if you use a wok, check out BlueStar ranges, locally made in PA.  If anyone watches "Chopped" those are the ranges they use.  There is a 25,000 BTU burner in the front center which boils water in minutes.  All the burners have an insert that pops out by hand and conveniently fits a wok.  You can custom-order knobs, trim, door panel etc, which was a great addition to our home.  The custom color is really cool.  The Platinum range is worth the extra $$ and we have 6 burners with an interchangeable griddle and grill as well.  It is awesome and I prefer it to some of the other high end ranges - it is simple and does what it is supposed to do, a virtual workhorse.  

Range vents above 450 CFM, often require installation of a "make-up" air vent.  In new home and retrofits it is usually a code issue.  We have a 1200 CFM fan which is certainly overkill, but having gone from a very inefficient downdraft originally, which could not do much of anything except interfere with the efficiency of the cooktop, I did not want to under-size the hood and have to redo it later.  For comparison's sake, your bathroom fan is likely 100 CFM or less.  650 CFM is substantial, on 1200, which we rarely if ever use, you can dry your hair and blast the scents of your cooking all over your neighborhood. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Just completely redid our entire kitchen from studs out - if you use a wok, check out BlueStar ranges, locally made in PA.  If anyone watches "Chopped" those are the ranges they use.  There is a 25,000 BTU burner in the front center which boils water in minutes.  All the burners have an insert that pops out by hand and conveniently fits a wok.  You can custom-order knobs, trim, door panel etc, which was a great addition to our home.  The custom color is really cool.  The Platinum range is worth the extra $$ and we have 6 burners with an interchangeable griddle and grill as well.  It is awesome and I prefer it to some of the other high end ranges - it is simple and does what it is supposed to do, a virtual workhorse.  

Range vents above 450 CFM, often require installation of a "make-up" air vent.  In new home and retrofits it is usually a code issue.  We have a 1200 CFM fan which is certainly overkill, but having gone from a very inefficient downdraft originally, which could not do much of anything except interfere with the efficiency of the cooktop, I did not want to under-size the hood and have to redo it later.  For comparison's sake, your bathroom fan is likely 100 CFM or less.  650 CFM is substantial, on 1200, which we rarely if ever use, you can dry your hair and blast the scents of your cooking all over your neighborhood. 

BlueStar is great! Did our remodel about 13 yrs ago. Still a workhorse, and still love it. And recommended if doesn't use a wok, too!

8 hours ago, squidsdc said:

BlueStar is great! Did our remodel about 13 yrs ago. Still a workhorse, and still love it. And recommended if doesn't use a wok, too!

Yes, in re-reading my post, I did not mean to pigeon-hole the wok (only) utility of BlueStar.  Great range no matter how or what you cook with.  It is extremely versatile and highly adjustable for all cooking types.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

What range hood did you get?  The platinum 36” rangetop has been my default and two friends that have Blue Star ranges have been very happy with them.  Hestan just entered the residential market, so I was wondering if I should reconsider, but I can’t find enough info, so I’ll probably stick with BS.  

The BS Platinum is definitely worth the co$t.  We did the 36".  The added features and attachments for the Platinum were worth the upgraded investment.  Since we did a custom color - the lead time was about 4-6 weeks.  Ferguson has several on display and depending on where you live and what showroom you go to, you may find the appliance person knowledgeable on BlueStar.  They do not have the branding of Wolf, Thermador or Viking.

Hood we went with the Zephyr Canopy-Style hood, Tempest II - 650 CFM standard, but you can upgrade it easily and get double the capacity.  The Canopy allowed me to raise the hood up higher than code recommended installation height.  I have seen others installed and if too low, you literally hit your head on it if  you are taller than 6'.  We have a window above our range, so the chimney-style would not work.  The baffles in the hood are really easy to clean, just throw them in the D/W and let dry.  It even signals you to do this after 30 hours of use.

Vent-a-hood makes a great hood as well, but there was a significant cost difference for similar performance & features. 

• Like 1