Kitchen Remodeling

Heather

maybe the emphasis should be on how to fix it for all the small businesses that give life to city neighborhoods.

The city of Santa Monica addressed this problem by building municipal parking structures and reserving the street-level space in the structures for the types of essential-to-the-community businesses that were being driven out by escalating rents--like small hardware stores.

Okay everyone, gather round. I have some questions for those who have been there, done that, or are about to and have done loads more research than me.

I need recommendations for a fridge, hood, and wall ovens. I'm inclined to go with GE for the ovens because I just don't need much more than good basic functionality. I'm debating between a side by side config for the fridge vs a bottom freezer design. I'm planning on purchasing an additional basic GE fridge for the laundry room so maximum capacity in the kitchen one is not as important. Lastly, I'd like a hood with good flow rates, variable speed design, and relatively quiet operations (at least at low speeds).

Thoughts?

Okay everyone, gather round. I have some questions for those who have been there, done that, or are about to and have done loads more research than me.

I need recommendations for a fridge, hood, and wall ovens. I'm inclined to go with GE for the ovens because I just don't need much more than good basic functionality. I'm debating between a side by side config for the fridge vs a bottom freezer design. I'm planning on purchasing an additional basic GE fridge for the laundry room so maximum capacity in the kitchen one is not as important. Lastly, I'd like a hood with good flow rates, variable speed design, and relatively quiet operations (at least at low speeds).

Thoughts?

First, a warning: my experience is dated. I designed one kitchen in '97, one in '99, and one in '00.

Fridge: I prefer the bottom freezer configuration, because if you ever want to chill anything really wide, like a store-bought party platter or a sheet cake, you'll have the room. When I redesigned my sister-in-law's kitchen, she wanted a side by side, and later really regretted it. She said the darn thing is so deep she literally couldn't reach the back (she's really short, though). I know a lot of people hate squatting to open the freezer, but that's never bothered me. I'd rather have the more flexible use of space.

When we built our house, Sub Zero was the only brand on the market that had separate compressors for the fridge and freezer. Things have likely changed, but if - for example - you don't want your ice cubes to taste like fish, consider it. Other than a minor issue with the ice cube maker, the Sub Zero has been a model of reliability. I love it.

Ovens: beware the size. I learned this one the hard way. First time I went to bake something in the current house, I was shocked to discover how narrow the double ovens are. My standard size cookie sheets barely fit, and the half-sheet pan was useless (except for flash freezing in the big bottom freezer). The builder said, "what's the problem? You have two ovens!" :angry: Dingbat. For mom's kitchen remodel we got the biggest double ovens we could find (I've forgotten the size, but they were glorious); however, the idiotic electronic control panel (GE) would go on the fritz at least once a year. And of course it was unrepairable; the whole panel had to be replaced. Damn unreliable piece of machinery. Do some research before you buy GE. Hopefully this bug has been fixed.

Range hood: I believe that high flow rates and noise are directly proportional. Good luck finding a powerful one that's also quiet. Don't know how extensive your renovation is, but if you're relocating things, try to arrange it so that the hood vents directly to the outside - or at least, with as few turns as possible. Every bend of the tube is a place for grease and gunk to gather. The shorter and straighter the distance, the more efficient the exhaust. My Viking hood sounds like a rocketship, but I'm a gear geek so I kinda like it that way.

Good luck, and please let us know what you've chosen.

I prefer the freezer on the bottom refrigerator/freezer method. Actually the refrigerator part on top has side by side doors, which helps when you just want to grab something quick you can open only that side's door. Also, it's great to have everything you use every day extensively (ie the fridge) at eye level. The freezer on the bottom does require a stoop (I am 6' 4") but it really doesn't bother me. And I too have a 2nd refrigerator in the garage.

As for wall ovens...it depends on how you use them. We went a bit crazy to get what we really wanted as my wife is a great baker and we do entertain from time to time and two larger ovens are helpful to have.

We opted for a Dacor range hood. It is loud, and big, but really it's not TOOOO loud considering how powerful it is. And it has excellent filters to catch grease and stuff before it heads up the flue and are pop out easy and washable in the dishwasher -- no fuss no muss.

As for GE.....well, I can't say I would recommend them from bad experiences from various family and friends, but some folks are happy with their GE appliances. I'd opt to decide, of the appliances you plan to replace, spend the most 'extra' money on the appliances you want to be happiest with and/or last the longest. You really do get what you pay for.

I prefer the freezer on the bottom refrigerator/freezer method. Actually the refrigerator part on top has side by side doors, which helps when you just want to grab something quick you can open only that side's door. Also, it's great to have everything you use every day extensively (ie the fridge) at eye level. The freezer on the bottom does require a stoop (I am 6' 4") but it really doesn't bother me. And I too have a 2nd refrigerator in the garage.
I'm with pool boy and porcupine. I've got a freezer on the bottom model (and like poolboy, it's the 'french door' style fridge) and i love it. I've had side by sides twice and I really dislike them--poor energy efficiency and diffficult to store things in them (like sheet pans). Both times I had a chance to replace them, I did so as soon as I could.

Sorry, can't comment on other questions (but I wish I could!).

We always consult Consumer Reports before making any appliance or electronic purchase. See how they rate the GE appliances you are considering and how the ratings compare with others in your price range.

We have a Kenmore bottom freezer model refrigerator. I believe they are manufactured by Frigidaire. Before that we had an Amana. Both have been real workhorses. Much better to have your refrig, which you go into all the time, be at eye level.

Thanks Zora for the reminder about Consumer Reports. I signed up for a month's worth of online access and confirmed that many of my choices were good ones. I did change my mind on the Thermador cooktop I originally chose in favor of a similarly priced Viking one that had much higher ratings.

I'm going with a Viking hood and there are options for a 400, 460, or 600 cfm interior blower or a 900 or 1200 cfm exterior blower. We have a small house and the our bedrooms are just around the corner from the kitchen. For that reason, I was thinking the 900 cfm blower so that I don't have to smell dinner in my bedroom. The guy at the appliance store thought it would be overkill and recommended the 600 cfm interior blower. He also thought that the exterior blower would be loud and annoying to the neighbors. Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Having recently equipped my own new kitchen, here are my answers to your questions (JMHO):

Hood: Vent-a-hood seems to be the preferred brand. I went with VAH, and am happy. They make a wide variety of sizes and styles. Their special thing is grease traps not filters. Noise is reasonable---you can't avoid noise if you plan to move air.

Wall oven: I wanted fully hidden heat units and true convection in both the top and bottom ovens, and Jenn-aire was the least costly one I found that met those criteria.

Fridge: Frigidaire is now making a combo set (matching full fridge and separate freezer) that I liked because it does the job and the price is reasonable. Sears has it, and it is sold under other names too. It comes with a separate grill top that is not functional and I skipped that. However, it doesn't fit in any standard cabinet hole so that could be an issue--we had our cabinets custom-made so it wasn't a problem for us.

Check out the Garden Web appliance forum. You will find hours of reading there of everybody's opinion on all things appliance.

It is also worthwhile to figure out who makes any specific appliance you are interested in. Almost every brand out there has models which are made by other companies, often competitors. Sometimes you can get the unit you want but under another brand name and get a better deal. For example, AFAIK there are only two makers of french door refrigerators, Amana (owned by Maytag which is now owned by Whirlpool) and LG. At least that was the case two-three years ago. Everybody sold them, but they were all made by those two companies. Another weird example--front-loading washers--Bosch's are made in the US, while Whirlpool has theirs manufactured in Germany by a Bosch competitor. Take nothing for granted.

Thanks Zora for the reminder about Consumer Reports. I signed up for a month's worth of online access and confirmed that many of my choices were good ones. I did change my mind on the Thermador cooktop I originally chose in favor of a similarly priced Viking one that had much higher ratings.

I'm going with a Viking hood and there are options for a 400, 460, or 600 cfm interior blower or a 900 or 1200 cfm exterior blower. We have a small house and the our bedrooms are just around the corner from the kitchen. For that reason, I was thinking the 900 cfm blower so that I don't have to smell dinner in my bedroom. The guy at the appliance store thought it would be overkill and recommended the 600 cfm interior blower. He also thought that the exterior blower would be loud and annoying to the neighbors. Thoughts?

Interior blower...I take it this means it is a blower that just blows the air inside the house?

Well, if it is, I think that is plain nuts. If you have the opportunity to get a hood that can move all of the air you need to vent to the outside, do it. I do not think you'll be sorry. We lived with a really cheap and old cooktop hood blower that vented, you guessed it, to the inside of the house. To be mors specific, all of that air it was blowing, it blew in to our faces (my wife and I are both tall). So after experiencing a few times with grasy glasses, we gave up trying to use the infernal thing and vowed that whenever we pulled the trigger to update the kitchen, we'd get it vented externally. We are a thousand times happy we did it.

I mean, think about it, if the hood is just blowing stuff around the house, inside the house and your living area, where do you think it's gonna go? Nowhere but the rest of your house, more or less. What's the point?

Interior blower...I take it this means it is a blower that just blows the air inside the house?

Well, if it is, I think that is plain nuts. If you have the opportunity to get a hood that can move all of the air you need to vent to the outside, do it. I do not think you'll be sorry. We lived with a really cheap and old cooktop hood blower that vented, you guessed it, to the inside of the house. To be mors specific, all of that air it was blowing, it blew in to our faces (my wife and I are both tall). So after experiencing a few times with grasy glasses, we gave up trying to use the infernal thing and vowed that whenever we pulled the trigger to update the kitchen, we'd get it vented externally. We are a thousand times happy we did it.

I mean, think about it, if the hood is just blowing stuff around the house, inside the house and your living area, where do you think it's gonna go? Nowhere but the rest of your house, more or less. What's the point?

interior blower = blower is mounted inside the hood--blows the air through the vent pipe

exterior blower = blower is on the roof--sucks the air through the vent pipe

Either way, flow is vented to outside. External blowers are more typically seen in commercial installations.

interior blower = blower is mounted inside the hood--blows the air through the vent pipe

exterior blower = blower is on the roof--sucks the air through the vent pipe

Either way, flow is vented to outside. External blowers are more typically seen in commercial installations.

Ahhhhhhh! Now I see. OK, I have then, most likely, an interior blower model myself that blows it all outside. Thanks for the clarification.

As you can see, I really despise the 'blow the smoke in your face' veriety, as would, I imagine, most people.

I mentioned earlier in this thread the kitchen remodel we lived through from just about two years ago. I thought I'd finally share the before and after pictures--

1357843166_f0bcd6477d.jpg

Linky to all of the before & after pictures

It was a real pain in the butt to live through, but it was worth it in the end. I am generally very pleased with how it turned out.

Some things that I learned about it was to maybe use a bigger/better known cabinet place. It was a very small shop I dealt with and the guy was living from job to job almost. I think. Also, I think we might use different drawer and door hardware next time. I'd probably have opted for the non-star burner thermador cooktop to use some other gas burner (round?) that would be easier to clean. I would have gotten instructions on how to change the light bulb on the hood. But I think that is about it. I wish we had more space to bump it out and/or open it up a bit, but we were convinced we needed to stay with the same footprint and I know we made the right choice (short of adding on to the floorspace of the house which was not in the cards).

We're in need of granite countertops and were wondering if any of the folks on here had places they'd like to recommend. We live in Arlington if that makes a difference.

About 8 years ago we did a complete kitchen remodeling in a previous home in Arlington. We used the Kitchen and Bath Factory in Arlington @ 4624 Lee Highway.

http://www.kitchenandbathfactory.com/home.htm

http://www.kitchenandbathfactory.com/KITCHENS/products.htm

They installed granite countertops for us and we were pleased with the results and the overall price of the job. I have no recollection regarding the breakout pricing for the grantite alone. At a minimum, I think these folks are worth visiting.

We're in need of granite countertops and were wondering if any of the folks on here had places they'd like to recommend. We live in Arlington if that makes a difference.
We used these folks for cabinets and granite countertops when we redid our kitchen. We were quite pleased with them. (We dealt with Darren.)

ETA: They're in Arlington.

If you don't mind crossing the river, consider ABKA in Rockville. Their selection was excellent, and the installers were first-rate. You will need to contract separately with a plumber, but that's all for the best.

I live in Arlington and just did my kitchen 4 months ago. We used Marblex and couldn't have been happier. Sink installation was included with our countertops. Really nice people too!

http://www.marblexinc.com/

We're thinking about doing soapstone countertops and have done the research, but have not actually seen a kitchen with soapstone countertops. Any DRers out there that have done soapstone? I'd love to hear about your experience and would also love to see them too.

Thanks--

Sorry I did see the q about soapstone sooner (and be curious to know if you/anyone actually went forward with it with their kitchen), but we installed soapstone in our bathroom maybe 2 years ago and based on our experience with it, I wouldn't use it my kitchen. It looks sharp if/when it's oiled (which we've done less and less as time has gone on), but on the daily, it's looks dull (not boring, but not "sharp") and easily leaves watermarks/spots until you give it a good scrub. The watermarks haven't stained, but I find the maintenance/wipedown needed for even the random drops of water between the faucet and the hand towels to be annoying.

So we're in the process of renovating our kitchen and just heard that the ceramic floor tiles we custom ordered from Home Depot have been discontinued...so the search continues. When we went through the bathroom reno project, we liked the showroom of Architectural Ceramics in Rockville but found the prices too expensive. We ended up getting floor tile from the now-defunct Expo, and marble tiling from some place behind the Merrifield Home Depot which I think only sells to contractors/businesses now - not to individuals.

Does anyone have any recommendations about where to get some funky, relatively inexpensive floor tiles?

Thanks in advance -

So we're in the process of renovating our kitchen and just heard that the ceramic floor tiles we custom ordered from Home Depot have been discontinued...so the search continues. When we went through the bathroom reno project, we liked the showroom of Architectural Ceramics in Rockville but found the prices too expensive. We ended up getting floor tile from the now-defunct Expo, and marble tiling from some place behind the Merrifield Home Depot which I think only sells to contractors/businesses now - not to individuals.

Does anyone have any recommendations about where to get some funky, relatively inexpensive floor tiles?

Thanks in advance -

I bought some tile for some work at The Tile Shop in Springfield. At that time they had a pretty good selection.

So I've been living in my condo (Cleveland Park) for over a year and I'm finally getting around to a bunch of small projects around the house, one of which is having a backsplash put in my galley kitchen. It's been redone (granite counters, new cabinets, etc) but for whatever reason they opted to leave the walls above the counters exposed.

Does anyone have any recommendations for both the design (since to say I am not good at picking materials/designs is a gross understatement) and installation of a backsplash?

So I've been living in my condo (Cleveland Park) for over a year and I'm finally getting around to a bunch of small projects around the house, one of which is having a backsplash put in my galley kitchen. It's been redone (granite counters, new cabinets, etc) but for whatever reason they opted to leave the walls above the counters exposed.

Does anyone have any recommendations for both the design (since to say I am not good at picking materials/designs is a gross understatement) and installation of a backsplash?

For the design and tiles I recommend Architectural Ceramics, they have locations around the DMV. They were really nice, we took in color samples and they did a good job of suggesting things, which is nice since Hubby and I have very opposite taste, and we took tiles home to look at and that helped us come to consensus. I didn't love our contractor (gross understatement of the year) so I am not sure who to recommend for installation, but they might know someone who does small jobs like that.

I have to agree with the recommendation for Architectural Ceramics. We got the tile for our backsplash there, and were able to get some remnants to combine with in stock field tiles that made a great look. If you decide to go there, ask to see what they have in the back room.

I'm trying to choose between replacing my 36 inch (4 burner) gas cooktop with another 36 inch cooktop (5 burner) or a 30 inch cooktop (also 5 burner probably vs. 4).

The background is that we're getting our kitchen redone and will be opening it up a bit, thus losing some countertop space. The idea behind considering a 30 inch cooktop is to allow for a bit more counter space and "elbow room".

So, my concern really is just whether or not cooking using a 30 inch, on 4 or all 5 burners becomes difficult due to pans pushing up against on another and not being centered on the burners.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

@monavano - is there room for an island or a roll cart island that can give you extra counter space? If you can makeshift an island (or add a real one), then you might want to stick with the 36in., especially if you will be entertaining a bit.

If you won't be entertaining much, or need the space more, then you might consider a 30 inch to create more space, and then buy a solo burner (one of those induction cooktops) that won't let your pots and cooking merge into another.

Also, sometimes looking at Apartment Therapy may give you good ideas too.

@monavano - is there room for an island or a roll cart island that can give you extra counter space? If you can makeshift an island (or add a real one), then you might want to stick with the 36in., especially if you will be entertaining a bit.

If you won't be entertaining much, or need the space more, then you might consider a 30 inch to create more space, and then buy a solo burner (one of those induction cooktops) that won't let your pots and cooking merge into another.

I do have an island that I insisted be left alone and it will be redone virtually the same. It's not large, so I refused to give up one inch of it!

I am leaning towards staying with the 36 inch. It's not that I will be using 5 burners, but I like to know that the redundancy is there and that I have room to scoot pots around or park them when needed.

I'm trying to choose between replacing my 36 inch (4 burner) gas cooktop with another 36 inch cooktop (5 burner) or a 30 inch cooktop (also 5 burner probably vs. 4).

I recently looked at a 30 inch 5 burner cooktop from Kitchenaid. The biggest burner is in the middle, surrounded by 4 smaller burners. When I thought about it, I usually use the biggest burner with my biggest pot or pan (for stewing, stir-frying, etc.). It's hard to use the other burners when the center burner is occupied with a big pot/pan. Just thought you might want to consider that if you go with a 30" 5 burner cooktop.

I recently looked at a 30 inch 5 burner cooktop from Kitchenaid. The biggest burner is in the middle, surrounded by 4 smaller burners. When I thought about it, I usually use the biggest burner with my biggest pot or pan (for stewing, stir-frying, etc.). It's hard to use the other burners when the center burner is occupied with a big pot/pan. Just thought you might want to consider that if you go with a 30" 5 burner cooktop.

Thanks. I was considering the KA Cafe and Thermador Masterpiece 30 inch. Both have the large center burner design, but I do wonder if there's enough room to groove.

Their 36 inch versions have the same configuration, but of course, more room.

The Wolf 36 inch, 5 burner has a different configuration, with 2, 2 and 1 burner in the back.

Thanks. I was considering the KA Cafe and Thermador Masterpiece 30 inch. Both have the large center burner design, but I do wonder if there's enough room to groove.

Their 36 inch versions have the same configuration, but of course, more room.

The Wolf 36 inch, 5 burner has a different configuration, with 2, 2 and 1 burner in the back.

I think our oven/range is 30 inches, we have a very small kitchen. It only has four burners, and they can all fit nice sized pots and pans, but I don't think if there was a fifth burner I could fit something on all five. Also I have two "power" burners, at opposite ends, one in the back corner is the biggest I use it for pasta boiling and etc. If it was in the middle that would cause a lot of chaos in terms of heat dissipation and space. So if you can do the 36 I would.

I have a 30-inch 4-burner cooktop and I can't imagine trying to work with a 5th burner in that same space. I can just barely maneuver as is if I'm using a stockpot and a skillet on the two large eyes when I've got smaller saucepots going on the small eyes now. I like the idea of getting a freestanding solo burner to use as/when needed. That's a great idea! I've also seen a small kitchen in Manhattan that had a swing-out counter that was about 15x24" that fit between the regular countertop and the top of the lower cabinets that was pulled out for use as needed. You couldn't work with very heavy stuff on it, but it was a great help for some extra space for chopping salad fixings or doing plating.

Thanks. I was considering the KA Cafe and Thermador Masterpiece 30 inch. Both have the large center burner design, but I do wonder if there's enough room to groove. Their 36 inch versions have the same configuration, but of course, more room.

Right now, I would not invest in either KA (Whirlpool) or Thermador (Bosch Siemens) stoves because of their parent companies' histories. Out of the three, I would go with Wolf. Wolf is now owned by Subzero, which might be better, but if you can, I would invest in a Viking because they are still the same company and their main factory is in the US.

Plus, my friend has a KA gas professional series and I feel like the water still takes forever to boil compared to a past Thermador or Wolf ranges I've seen.

Hi Monavano! Go for the 36" if you have the room! :) We renovate and build homes (on spec) professionally (I've done the kitchen design myself the last several years and have become a high-end cabinet distributor to further "do it myself" ^_^ ) and I ALWAYS put in a 36" range/cooktop if I can - particularly if you're looking at the quality of appliances that you are - such as Wolf. Also - a 36" cook top gives a more "luxury"/"gourmet" feel... From a resale/value perspective - buyers always love to see a 36" cooktop (especially if they are used to a 30" lower grade range and they are "buying up" to their "dream" kitchen)... even if they don't cook - they want the fancy kitchen! :P 30" is typical "minimum" range size whereas 36" says "bonus" (and $$)! :D

From a personal perspective, we have a Wolf 36" rangetop - and love it... and always find that cooking at friends' or families' stoves that are 30" take a bit of getting used to... that said I would think if you're used to the 36" - you'll probably really miss it... That said - as others have pointed out - if you're using a lot of burners - you're probably using at least 1 large pan - and I would say using all 5 or 6 burners of a 36" would be tight... I find the extra "burners" really just give me extra space to allow a good size pot and a few other active burners to work.

Lastly, gaining only the 6" in counter space doesn't really help that much... Particularly if you're going to need to plug in an extra counter top burner here and there! If you were gaining an extra 12" or so that would be more debatable as then you're talking an extra or much larger cabinet, etc.

Another 36" cooktop/rangetop to look into is the Jenn-Air - we've used almost all Jenn-Air appliances in our renovations/new builds in Arlington for the last 6-8 years (used Viking and Wolf/Subzero before that) and have had good luck. The Jenn-Air price point is much less than Viking/Subzero - and just a bit more expensive than Kitchen Aid on an apples to apples comparison.

Not sure where you're buying from but, just a bit of info on the online sites - I've had mostly good luck ordering online - for one - you save sales tax and also the prices are very competitive... even better than my local "builder discount" often and most offer free delivery. Hoever - the link you posted for AJ Madison - I've ordered from them a couple times - then had one VERY bad experience with a dishwasher that was delivered with a hole (from a forklift?) in its rear tub - we didn't find out until after it was installed & tested... AJ Madison fought us on a replacement because we didn't report the damage on delivery - but after going above the various reps' heads and contacting the owner/CEO a couple times - he finally made it right... so I'll give them props for that - but again - their initial response was awful - basically said "too bad". Anyhow - that's my take on them... US-Appliance.com I ordered from much more often and they are great... Then mostly though, I comparison shop and then try to get my local Bray and Scarf in Arlington to give me their best deal/price match, etc. Check into rebates that various manufacturers are running as well! Some of those are big - like $750-1500 for a suite! Another spot I found with good prices is ABW appliances in Maryland, though I've never ordered from them because B&S always came through - ABW seemed fair and their service was good.

Ok - hope that helps in addition to all the great advice from others on this board! Being that I not only love to cook, but have renovated/built a ton of "luxury" kitchens over the last 11 years, thought I'd weigh in! (Feel free to PM me if you have any random renovation questions or want a good local or online resource).

Best of luck - I'm sure your new kitchen is going to be awesome whatever you decide! :)

We have a 30" BlueStar range with 4 burners--we used to have a Viking 36" range with 4 burners and grill, and downsized to the 30" when we moved since we lacked space and wanted a smaller oven. Our cooktop has plenty of room to move pans around, but I can't imagine with 5 burners being able to do so easily. If you are set on the 5 burners, I think it would be better to go with the 36", otherwise a 30" with the option of getting a freestanding solo burner.

And I highly recommend looking in to the BlueStar-we love ours. We recently had a problem with the ignitor (the range is about 7 yrs old) and called to get service. Instead of paying a couple hundred dollars to have someone come out, diagnose the problem and charge for the part, the person at the factory told us we could buy the part online for about $80 at their website and pay no shipping, and they would then walk my husband through the installation if he had any problems doing so. Turns out it wasn't necessary as installing it was pretty easy. I love that the BlueStar is made in the US and you can visit the factory near Reading PA (as we did.) Very personable and helpful every time we have spoken with them.

http://www.bluestarcooking.com/

and we had a very good experience ordering from http://cumminsappliance.com in Pikesville, MD. Good prices and service, and they were less than AJ Madison at the time.

If it's in your budget go with the BlueStar. If it isn't in your budget cut back on something else until you can afford it. :lol: I'll be forever grateful to squids for posting about it a few years back. And go with the 36". I've worked on a 30" 5 burner and really hated it, for reasons people have already stated. I second the recommendation for ABW.

How do you like the stove? And how do you like your Thermador oven?

The Bluestar rangetop is great. As you probably know, you can remove the cast iron grates to reveal a bowl-shaped recess around the burner into which a wok nestles perfectly. No more wok rings. With 23,000 BTUs on the front burners I can pretend to be Iron Chef Chen Kenichi. That obviously requires commensurate ventilation. The 1200 CFM Prestige hood does that while giving me a facelift if I get close enough.

I am less enthusiastic about the Thermador. It is essentailly a Bosch, but I found the build quality and fit and finish to be better. However, when the beep sounds to indicate the oven is preheated, you still have to wait about 20 minutes for it to actually reach the desired temperature. And then it often overheats. We already had the temperature controller replaced, which led to a slight improvement. Still, it is a very feature-rich oven, with good convection settings and a rotisserie. I also wanted something with knobs and not a glitch-prone pushbutton control panel. Thermador is one of the few high-end companies that make them.

Our Bosch dishwasher also leaves me a bit cold. It loads less efficiently than our old Kenmore, which diminishes its overall energy efficiency, and is really not that much quieter. Still, it is very well made and the top rack for silverware is nice.

We love our 31 cubic foot Kenmore Elite fridge. We had a side-by-side before and I can't count the number of times I flew into a rage while trying to excavate something from the nether-regions of its compartments.

• Like 1

Did you do most of it yourself? I like the knife magnet on the backsplash - I might have to get one.

No, but it was more than the kitchen. There was a good deal of work in the adjoining office, WC, and dining room as well. Everything was taken down to the studs. But yeah, a long haul.

ETA: The knife magnet is a custom Mag-Blok from www.benchcrafted.com. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

snapback.pngthistle, on 02 October 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

Tell us about the kitchen redo...I would love to revamp my kitchen, & I'd like to think that it would improve my cooking, but maybe that's being optimistic...it's easier for me to blame my limitations on my space.....I have a pretty good place,that most folks could 'make do' in...but I want to hear about other folks' kitchens...

I'll follow up tomorrow and post in the Kitchen Remodeling thread. Hopefully, I can keep you updated and share some of the experiences we've had and answer any questions!

Our kitchen remodel is going to involve a total gutting and we are taking out most of the wall that is between our kitchen and dining room.

When we bought the house 8 years ago, the kitchen had undergone a total remodel about 12-15 years before. It was all custom and had a nice look and finish, but given the slippery slope theory, wanting to replace one appliance could pull the trigger on a major change!

Our appliances were black and when the KitchenAid built-in fridge kept needing a couple hundred $$ here and $$ there, I wanted to replace it. Another black built in would be 6K and no way! I'd want stainless and then of course, it would match the rest of the appliances.

So, we could upgrade and update all of our appliances (which I wanted to be stainless) and even reface the cabinets and be happy, but we decided to go for the whole enchilada and change the way the kitchen relates to the rest of the house by knocking out a wall and allowing the kitchen (front of house) to communicate with the rest of the main floor, all the way to the beautiful windows in our great room.

It's a great view, with great light and we really need that.

We signed up with a local kitchen and bath design company last January. Let me just say as nicely as possible, it was not a good fit. We changed to a wonderful kitchen designer who has done 3 kitchens in our neighborhood, got a recommended contractor and feel FAR, FAR happier and in control of all the decisions in this involved process. We also feel far less ripped off <_<

Yesterday the kitchen was gutted. We reserved our Thermador cooktop, GE double wall ovens, sink/faucet and Bosch dishwasher to donate to ReStore, who is coming tomorrow to pick them up.

Today, more work on both sides and the hole was made from the back wall of the kitchen to the dining area and I can really see this idea we've got forming and coming to fruition.

Our alabaster shaker semi-custom cabinets were dropped off this morning.

All appliances were delivered last week. Note: if you can store them, get your appliances delivered early and inspect them for any damage so that you can re-order if needed and not lose time.

That's about it for now on Day 2. Lots of banging, Lots of noise. Dogs need valium :huh: and I'm hanging in there so far.

I've set up a kitchenette in our laundry/mud room and can give more detail if anyone would like. I hope that I've set us up for survival during the remodel.

I'm also taking pics of progress and will share.

Any advice would be appreciated and I'll share whatever you'd like about this very long process of getting to this point, and all the decisions we've made.

Our kitchen remodel is going to involve a total gutting and we are taking out most of the wall that is between our kitchen and dining room.

Exciting but scary, eh? We initially worked with an architect but ended up going with a layout suggested by our cabinet designer. Our contractor (who's been doing this on the Hill since the 1970s) also had great ideas. We didn't knock down any walls, as we like the traditional separation of kitchen and dining room, so the kitchen remains about the same, relatively small Capitol Hill kitchen it was before, but it feels much larger because of the more efficient use of space and traffic pattern. Good luck!

Thanks Banco!

We'll have a doorway opening which will be new, but we'll also have peninsula cabinets, so essentially, the kitchen will remain discrete from the dining room.

We're just going to have a great, open view finally. The kitchen footprint will remain the same.