DR.com Autumn Picnic - September 28, 2014, at Fort Hunt Park

bettyjoan

I think starting around 11 sounds good - any other thoughts?  It's definitely a "come when you can" type of event, but I doubt folks will be there after 5.

StarStraf, thanks for the offer, I will let you know!  I hope to have my Zipcar membership activated by then, in which case we'll do that (and I can bring heavier stuff in that case).

Who else is joining us?  :D

So...there has been concern regarding attendance (or lack thereof), and it's been suggested that we should cancel the picnic.  As much as I hate to do so, I do acknowledge that with the current RSVP list, it's likely to be a lot of effort for just a few folks.  What does everyone think?

I think that if we do cancel (and heck, even if we don't), I'd like to get some folks together - call it a picnic committee of sorts - to discuss our next attempt at the event and what we can do to avoid this situation in the future.

Let me know - I'm flexible either way.

Honestly I feel torn.  It would be nice to see people and share food, but I have so much to do to get ready for my foot surgery next Tuesday, I wasn't planning on spending much time there anyway.  If the consensus is to cancel, I can do that without a problem.  If the consensus is to carry on, we are planning to bring, instead of caprese, something more substantial, ratatouille and corn pudding.

FWIW, previous picnics have all started at noon - that's what time we will get there (since it's an hour drive!)

Still have to do a fridge inventory, and check with my +1 on cooking, but we will bring a main, a side, and some beer in a cooler.

Sounds like currently nobody is bringing a grill, right?

I pulled the pork this morning (it cooked overnight in the smoker) & it looks delicious, will bring some potato rolls for pulled pork sandwiches, baking pound cake later, & might make some slaw. Also bringing a cooler & various beverages, we'll be there at 11:30, since I have most of the leftover gear. Small picnics are good, too- you can chat with more people.

I don't have anything to grill, but I can bring a tabletop grill w/ side burner, in case anyone needs it.

Ratatouille and corn pudding in the oven. Found the sterno and the frame for the aluminum pans. Bought four cheap plastic large serving spoons and two spatulas. Have tons of plastic eating knives, forks and spoons. Have a case of bottled water. Bought a case of beer. Will bring ice chest and ice for beer in the morning. Need to remember beer opener. Is there a problem with glass? This just occurred to me. Need to remember index cards to state ingredients on dishes. Anyone have name tags?

• Like 1

My good friends, the picnic will be small this year, but I'm pulling for everyone, and hope you all have a wonderful time. We can make this bigger and more interesting if you want to - just let me know. I've been trying to stay out of peoples' ways, and let everyone have a good time without me hovering, but I'm willing to help in any way I can. Wouldn't you love to have something by Eric, Celia, and their new daughter Adele? There's so much potential here, and I'm willing to do anything to help, if you want my help.

So sorry I missed the fun.  I'm at home with Miss Vivienne the tortie cat who is nearly nineteen and is trying to get over an infection.  Mr. lperry is out of town, and I'm afraid to leave her.  Some of you will understand, and others will think I'm mental, but that's OK. :)  I made some tomato jam to make the day about food, and I raise a glass to everyone who makes this such a great, friendly group.  Cheers!  -L

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who came out - great food and conversation!  And the weather could not have been prettier.

For those who asked, this is the method I use for hard-boiled eggs: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/04/steamed-hard-boiled-eggs-recipe.html

I love how today's conversation topics went all over the map, but always somehow made their way back to food.  :)

• Like 3

We had a really good time. Excellent food, perfect weather, and marvelous company.

Bonus, tonight for dinner, some of Zora's prize winning corn cakes with crema, topped with some of Thistle's should-be-prize winning pulled pork. Really hit the spot.

We missed the people who couldn't make it, but the small crowd was intimate and congenial. Sweet.

Just wish I had taken home some of those killer green devilled eggs with ham, but they were gone!

• Like 2

I, as always, enjoyed the picnic very much.  I enjoyed the food, I enjoyed the conversation.  It was nice to meet some folks I hadn't previously met. But before we let the memory of this picnic fade, and certainly before anyone starts planning the next one"”could some of you who didn't come, tell us why?  There are people I have seen at all of the picnics I have attended who weren't at this one.  Was the date inconvenient?  Are you just tired of them? Did you not want to fix anything to bring?  Those of you who often or usually attend"”what was wrong this time?

• Like 2

Winter picnic?  Dame Edna, you are having your little joke?

Sure, let's start thinking about a spring picnic.  Just the thought of spring right now makes me happy.  If we plan far enough out in advance, people can add it to their calendars.  Nothing can be done about soccer practices, etc., but other discretionary schedule conflicts can be avoided, if desired.

It's probably too soon to put up a vote but suggestions welcomed.

As before, I will be happy to make the reservation.

Winter picnic?  Dame Edna, you are having your little joke?

Sure, let's start thinking about a spring picnic.  Just the thought of spring right now makes me happy.  If we plan far enough out in advance, people can add it to their calendars.  Nothing can be done about soccer practices, etc., but other discretionary schedule conflicts can be avoided, if desired.

It's probably too soon to put up a vote but suggestions welcomed.

As before, I will be happy to make the reservation.

Really, just trying to cope with winter insanity. Someone said they missed the informality and fun of the picnics. At this point, the when and if of the DRSP (Don  Rockwell Spring Picnic) is just a mirage, a dream , a fantasy. I would like to see someone try to do another Ventworm Cake. That was amazing.

The winter Picnic was great, featuring warm drinks in tankards and a selection of snack foods from Trader Joes. Also, someone cooked beef on the Barbeque. In the snow. Wonderful.

(If the title of this thread was changed, wouldn't mind.)