dr.com 2nd Annual Fall Picnic

Scott, are you the person who brought those bbg sauces set out near the pigs? That mustard sauce was out of this world. If that was yours, could you post the recipe? (If it wasn't yours, could the appropriate person post the recipe?) Thanks.
It was Scott's (as was the hot sauce) and they were both good. If he doesn't post them, I might have to grovel to get them as well (btw, did you check the DR Picnic recipe forum?).

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aw, you shouldn't have. Really. You shouldn't have. :)

(Come on, that stuff isn't THAT bad!)

Um... yes it is ;-)

you were missed though.

On another note I had my first $9 experience at Kolumbia (and it won't be my last) yesterday. Chef was amazed at how all the smack talk prior to the picnic was replaced with "everybody wins" on DR.com. While we all probably had a stronger preference for one of the pigs, we really were all winners to have dedicated Rockwellians take on the task and prepare two totally different, and delicious in their own ways, pig pickings.

Thanks again.

With pleasure! Give me a couple of more days to write up the recipe for Don's Pee ala Pig Elixir Extrondinaire

Scott, are you the person who brought those bbg sauces set out near the pigs? That mustard sauce was out of this world. If that was yours, could you post the recipe? (If it wasn't yours, could the appropriate person post the recipe?) Thanks.

Belated thanks to everybody who participated in the chili tasting - it was certainly a pleasure getting to try so many different variations on a theme. The neat thing about chili is how personal it can be - as many recipes as there are cooks, and no need to worry about 'authentic', whatever that means. Thanks to all who brought complimentary dishes, too.

Belated thanks to everybody who participated in the chili tasting - it was certainly a pleasure getting to try so many different variations on a theme. The neat thing about chili is how personal it can be - as many recipes as there are cooks, and no need to worry about 'authentic', whatever that means. Thanks to all who brought complimentary dishes, too.

Am I the only one that thinks that this, combined with the pig roast, made for the most successful picnic so far?

Am I the only one that thinks that this, combined with the pig roast, made for the most successful picnic so far?
Well, having all that chili around sure provided people with something to eat while the pigs were cooking. But they still all lined up when the pigs came out. The picnics just seem to get better and better. A 50% increase in attendance over the Spring picnic.

Totally Punked....I thought the terrine was one of the highlights of what I tasted at the picnic....I was really impressed, then the unveiling of the SPAM content made it that much better. A worthy farce, we should have an award. Definitly yearbook material.

I hope Joe H does not explain that the shrimp were really tofu...

I can't tell you how sorry I am to have missed the Spam terrine.

I can't tell you how sorry I am to have missed the Spam terrine.
Well, in looking at the recipe, it just goes to show that if you doctor it up enough with good stuff you can create something quite (cr)edible. In fact, when I was putting together a plate for Monique--thinking she might not be back--I wound up with a "pork and cake" selection. She got both kinds of roasted pig plus the terrine. Before you all get the noose out, you should know that Lydia and I sent her off to the hospital with a selection of sides plus one of MKTYE's Bacon rolls. :)

Totally Punked....I thought the terrine was one of the highlights of what I tasted at the picnic....I was really impressed, then the unveiling of the SPAM content made it that much better. A worthy farce, we should have an award. Definitly yearbook material.

I hope Joe H does not explain that the shrimp were really tofu...

The four pounds of shrimp were fresh and they were peeled and deveined by my wife and I...

No you're not alone in your thinking--eventhough you PUNKED us all with your "Spam" terrine. :)

Personally I was amazed at the number of folks that enjoyed it. I was lucky to be able to find a recipe that kept with the SPiced hAM theme. I wonder if Rocks got any in his doggie bag. I would have loved to hear his unknowing review. :)

Personally I was amazed at the number of folks that enjoyed it. I was lucky to be able to find a recipe that kept with the SPiced hAM theme. I wonder if Rocks got any in his doggie bag. I would have loved to hear his unknowing review. :)

I loved it. Spam is, after all, a populist terrine. With all that bacon, pork fat, chicken liver, pistachios and brandy--you could have had bits of Ballpark Franks in there and equalled the deliciousness. Whoever made up Rocks' leftover plate may have taken him some, but I scored what was left during the cleanup. We had the last of it yesterday for lunch. :) Brp. Delicious.

Tonight I delivered a $703 check to Argonaut Tavern for Luis Morales, courtesy of everyones generosity at the picnic.

Charity is a personal thing, but I do have spies out there, and I'm going to name a few people (in alphabetical order) who I know opened up their wallets and purses and gave beyond the norm. There are no doubt others, but because of the anonymous cash thrown into the coffee can, they will remain, as the Tomb Of The Unknowns says so elegantly, "known but to God."

These people, among others, showed exceptional generosity to a complete stranger who innocently found himself in the path of an assassin's bullet.

agm + NotQuickDraw

crackers

Crescent Fresh

hillvalley

Jacques Gastreaux

JLock + Lackadaisi

Joe H

mdt

porcupine + 1

RaisaB + 1

Cheers, and thank you all!

Rocks.