dr.com 2nd Annual Fall Picnic

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOW. Its time for the picnic again. Excellent. Thanks to crackers, zaramargolis and goldenticket for organizing. This is always a great event and neat to see familiar faces and meet new ones.

So, as for the dish. Gee- if I think COMPETING PIG ROAST, well, that takes me back to my Cuban heritage... therefore, I will bring rice and black beans a la cubana! See you all there

WOW. Its time for the picnic again. Excellent. Thanks to crackers, zaramargolis and goldenticket for organizing. This is always a great event and neat to see familiar faces and meet new ones.

So, as for the dish. Gee- if I think COMPETING PIG ROAST, well, that takes me back to my Cuban heritage... therefore, I will bring rice and black beans a la cubana! See you all there

Do you think you could bring anything authentically Cuban that us cigar smokers would appreicate?

Here's who has said they are coming, so far:

goldenticket

Crackers

mdt

Jacques Gastreaux

Crescent Fresh

Zoramargolis

Escoffier

Cucas87

RaisaB

Pat+1

StephenB

Scott Johnson

bbq4me+1

Rissa P

Shogun

Bilrus

Dame Edna

Barbara

ScotteeM

JParrott

JPW

xcanuck+1

Chica Grace

Demvtr+

And the food list, so far (not including chili or pig)

Appetizers/snacks/finger food

Now Notorious Deviled Eggs with Caviar: StephenB

never will be famous curried deviled eggs: Scott Johnson

Pork lumpia +finadene sauce: bbq4me

Sides/salads

Spicy roasted sweet potato salad; roasted corn salad+ avocado: (veganx2): Cucas87

Zucchini: Dame Edna

Corn bread: Rissa P

Green bean salad with pecans & blue cheese: ScotteeM

Saffron rice and black beans a la cubana: Chica Grace

Main course

Meat-

? grilled chicken: bbq4me

grilled skirt steak salad

Vegetarian

Noodle-cheese casserole: Pat

Tofu in curried coconut milk; an eggplant entree: Demvtr

Desserts/sweets

RaisaB- 2 desserts to be named later

Barbara ? cheesecake

Beverages

Wine: Cucas87

Wine: JPW

Wine: JParrott

Canadian beer: xcanuck

Misc.

Keep me posted!

Knowing my husband, I expect we'll be bringing a pot of his Thermonuclear Chili.

Personally, I'd rather bring the New Braunfels smoker and a cochon de lait, but the smoker won't fit in the car.

Re: chili style. It will have beef. It will have beans. It will have tomatoes. It will have habanero peppers.

I don't know what all else goes in there. Before he finishes it, he puts a bowl aside for me that doesn't get the full treatment.

I just shelled three pounds of fresh Jacob's Cattle beans I got at Grand Mart in Centreville. I bet they would make excellent chili.

You say that as if it would prevent you from attending! It's simple: Have everyone in your wedding party join DR.com, and make the picnic your reception. No worries!
M______________

[ ] Accept

[ ] Regret

[ ] Pig roast

[ ] Whatever shogun is bringing

[ ] The Chicken Option

[ ] Martian Pig Slop From Hell, and when that runs out, wine

Wow, another Cuban on this board! I am just hoping one of the pigs will be adobado con mojo criollo! Cubans definately make the best lechon in the world! :)

M______________

[ ] Accept

[ ] Regret

[ ] Pig roast

[ ] Whatever shogun is bringing

[ ] The Chicken Option

[ ] Martian Pig Slop From Hell, and when that runs out, wine

You don't understand - that is totally becoming our wedding invite. We'll just have to schedule it to coincide with a DR.com picnic. And, I'll have to get my other of the significant type to propose. And, if I can get over my fear of internet friends, even attend a DR.com event.
edited to remove the triple space, to show i'm not a total shrimp.

And, I'll have to get my other of the significant type to propose. And, if I can get over my fear of internet friends, even attend a DR.com event.
I promise most of these people aren't scary in person, and we'll keep the ones that are in the corner with their own bottle of wine and pot of chili so they don't have to mingle with the rest of us :)

I promise most of these people aren't scary in person, and we'll keep the ones that are in the corner with their own bottle of wine and pot of chili so they don't have to mingle with the rest of us :)

What? I thought you said I could mingle at the next one! :)

Here's who has said they are coming, so far:

goldenticket

Crackers

mdt

Jacques Gastreaux

Crescent Fresh

Zoramargolis

Escoffier

Cucas87

RaisaB

Pat+1

StephenB

Scott Johnson

bbq4me+1

Rissa P

Shogun

Bilrus

Dame Edna

Barbara

ScotteeM

JParrott

JPW

xcanuck+1

Chica Grace

Demvtr+

I'll bring some slaws to go with all that fabulous pork and chili.

I would love to see some more names on the attendee list of people I don't know in real life. We're generally harmless, don't bite (well Peanut has been known to upon occasion, but she is only 2), and believe it or not are pretty friendly. We may be weird, but we're not weirdos and no one (that I know of) has been convicted of a major felony (yet).

So, come on out. You'll have a good time. I promise: Or my name's not Orville Redenbacher.

I am very much looking forward to attending a DR.com picnic as a lady of leisure. :):) Unfortunately, it will probably be just me since rwtye is leaving early the following morning for a boondoggle to Europe and may not be able to find the time in his busy schedule to be anti-social at the picnic. :wub:

As of the moment, I am planning on making another attempt at bacons buns (sans splinters) and plus some other grain-based, leavened, baked product.

If I'm able to make it (which I'm almost 100% certain I will) I'll bring some Carolina-style BBQ sauce. It works best when the pig is cooked in the sauce and then the sauce used when eating as well, but it works as a sauce by itself decently well also, though it's very thin compared to most BBQ sauces.

I'm thinking of another dish still...

I’ll be there, with possibly one or two in tow, and a yet undetermined consumable.

(I have little experience with both pork and chili.

What desserts go well with pork and chili?

Suggestions? Requests?)

Don't know if (or care) if it goes with pork or chili, but I will request a Boston Creme Pie.

I'll be there, with possibly one or two in tow, and a yet undetermined consumable.

(I have little experience with both pork and chili.

What desserts go well with pork and chili?

Suggestions? Requests?)

If you're really adventurous, a Black Forest cake would be REALLY nice (you gotta love a cake made with kirsch).

Ok, semi-lurker coming out of the shadows for this one, with a friend in tow (in case you people are really crazy and I need back up). The last time I cooked I burnt my spaghetti o's, so I'll bring BEER and some dip!

And I second the red velvet cake call..mmmm, red velvet cake.... :)

I'll bring BEER and some dip!
Gosh, bringing beer is a great idea, but that's not a very nice name to call your friend! :) Seriously, I brought back-up to the first picnic too. Not that it turned out to be necessary at all. People new to the board, lurkers, semi-lurkers and ex-pats are all especially welcome.

I was thinking today that we should also have some homemade sauces available for the pork. I have a couple I have been tweaking and will bring a bottle of each.

I'll bring two kinds of homemade chow chow for the pork and something to drink-- sweet tea, half and half, spiked lemonade, something.

I'm getting married that day. Do you guys cater?
Puh-leeze! That's on par with "the dog ate my homework". Besides, what better place to have a reception! So what if there's a smear of BBQ on your tux/her gown. Think of the stories you'll be able to tell!

Here is the ongoing list of who is coming to the picnic. Please let me know if you are planning to come and are not on the list, or if your name is there and you will not be.

Crackers+1

Porcupine

agm

mdt

Jacques Gastreaux

Crescent Fresh

zoramargolis

Escoffier

Cucas87

RaisaB

Pat+1

StephenB

Scott Johnson

bbq4me+1

Rissa P

Shogun

Bilrus

Dame Edna

Barbara

ScotteeM

JParrott

JPW

xcanuck+1

Chica Grace

Demvtr+1

Tripewriter

Walrus

Iliane+1

Catherine+1

brr+3

mktye

treznor

Monique DC

rvanrens+2

clayrae+1or2

bonaire+1

LaShanta+1

Lydia R

legant

And here are the food pledges so far, other than pig and chili+fixin's:

Appetizers/snacks/finger food

Now Notorious Deviled Eggs with Caviar: StephenB

never will be famous curried deviled eggs: Scott Johnson

Pork lumpia +finadene sauce: bbq4me

?Cheese and bread: brr

Dip: bonaire

Sides/salads

Spicy roasted sweet potato salad; roasted corn salad+ avocado: (veganx2): Cucas87

Zucchini: Dame Edna

Corn bread: Rissa P

Green bean salad with pecans & blue cheese: ScotteeM

Saffron rice and black beans a la cubana: Chica Grace

Slaw(s): JPW

Main course

Meat

? grilled chicken: bbq4me

Homemade smoked salmon: xcanuck

Grilled beef skewers: rvanrens

Vegetarian

Noodle-cheese casserole: Pat

Tofu in curried coconut milk; an eggplant entree: Demvtr

Desserts/sweets

2 desserts to be named later: RaisaB

Red velvet cake: Barbara

Beverages

Wine: Cucas87

Wine: JPW

Wine: JParrott

Canadian beer: xcanuck

?Beer: brr

Beer: bonaire

Misc.

Bacon buns; mystery bread: mktye

Cigars: Scott Johnson

Keep me posted!

We now have a full complement of ten different and varied chilis for the picnic - Thank you everybody!

So how about them sides? Take a look at Porcupine's suggestions for ideas. We're also going to want some more beer to wash it all down, so that when the pigs emerge from the roaster we'll be primed.

porcupine: beef and chili pepper stew, beans on the side

Jacques Gastreaux: smoked pork butt chili? green chili with tomatillos?

Pat: turkey chili with beans

tripewriter: Cincinnati chili with five way fixins

xcanuck: a pot of chili with chunks of pork, lamb, and beef

bilrus: Red Ranch Chili with Pork Shoulder

Crackers: chicken chili, with sour cream, shredded cheddar, sliced scallion, diced avocado

Ilaine's husband: Thermonuclear chili, with beef, beans, tomato, habanero

Catharine: vegetarian chili, with cauliflower

hm212: New York version of Texas chili (ground beef)

------------------

Anybody interested in bringing chili-compatible sides? We needs lots o' cornbread. And cheese. And sour cream. And onions. And peppers... personally I like having a bowl of minced fresh peppers as a topping, for those who want a spicier dish. And corn chips. And guacamole...

Honestly, if everyone brought a case of water, it'd only be overkill by a shade. Better than running out with a bunch of out-of-shape, two-sheets alleged footballers needing resuscitation.

I thought you were retired? :):)

Actually, I'm nursing a torn calf muscle right now, from tennis a couple of weeks back. Rehab is going slowly, so I might not be lacing up the boots at the picnic. I'll still bring the equipment so children (current and former) can still relive glory days.

Good idea, I'll bring a couple of cases of water as well. (ZoraMargolis, would you add this to the list so I don't forget?)
OK, looks like there will be water! Feel free to bring more, but we are still looking for food and (non-water) drink contributions. [cheese, fruit, rolls/bisquits, collards, cookies. . . ] We may also need some picnic supplies once Jacques has had a chance to inventory the ever-growing stash of leftovers from prior picnics that are sitting in bags in his basement. Zora will post any deficiencies so those who may want to bring that sort of thing can know what is needed.

Reminder that there are no grills at this picnic site, so plan to bring your own if you will be grilling. There will be hot coals on top of the pig roasters for toasting marshmallows though. :)

Reminder that there are no grills at this picnic site, so plan to bring your own if you will be grilling. There will be hot coals on top of the pig roasters for toasting marshmallows though. :)
Count me in for s'mores. My other contributions are going to be healthy, raw alternatives to the gluttony that is being offered.