dr.com 2nd Annual Fall Picnic

We now have a full complement of ten different and varied chilis for the picnic - Thank you everybody!

So how about them sides? Take a look at Porcupine's suggestions for ideas. We're also going to want some more beer to wash it all down, so that when the pigs emerge from the roaster we'll be primed.

I'll bring corn sticks and a case of White Stag IPA, the perfect accompaniment to chili. And another person, my son (adult). In addition to the pot of Thermonuclear Chili.

Pan, actually. We've got one of those wire thingies that holds an aluminum foil pan over cans of Sterno. It calls itself a chafing dish but that's too snooty for this contraption.

Does anybody need us to bring a Coleman stove (2 burner)? Also, can corn sticks be made in advance and frozen? (The ones that are shaped like corn.)

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pan, actually. We've got one of those wire thingies that holds an aluminum foil pan over cans of Sterno. It calls itself a chafing dish but that's too snooty for this contraption.

Does anybody need us to bring a Coleman stove (2 burner)? Also, can corn sticks be made in advance and frozen? (The ones that are shaped like corn.)

That's the same contraption I'll be bringing five of (each holds two one-gallons trays). Please do bring the stove. Thanks!

Also, for the mandatory pig product contribution, and not content to bring some pork belly casserole, or a ham, AGM this time wanted to present us with a full-on pig roast. Woo-hoo! This is most the exciting thing to happen at a dr.com picnic since, well maybe since the KeithB's ventworm cake! But wait. There's more! Team AGM shall not be alone. Team JG will also be doffing aprons and vying for top pig honors. That's right - a snout-to-snout Piggie Smackdown! Each team will assemble their roasters, concoct their own secret marinades and rubs and head off into their respective corners to smother those piggies in hot coals. I've heard rumors that there may even be some professional chef-consultants involved, but we'll have to wait to hear more about that from the teams. We, the picnic attendees, will be in the enviable position of judging the results of both roast pigs.
Team JG throws down the guantlet.

While the particulars of Team JG's pig preparation will remain a secret, the identities of the members of the team shall not. Team JG includes (in addition to draft choices to be named later) mdt and celebrity chef John Wabeck (Johnny Rooks) of Firefly. I predict that our Team will win.

While the particulars of Team JG's pig preparation will remain a secret, the identities of the members of the team shall not. Team JG includes (in addition to draft choices to be named later) mdt and celebrity chef John Wabeck (Johnny Rooks) of Firefly. I predict that our Team will win.

Wait a minute-stop the presses, the end of the world may be upon us. Wabeck is coming to a picnic?

Them's fightin' words where I come from, son.

Our team will include crescentfresh and, uhm, a couple of folks I haven't really touched base with in a while, so I'll get back to you on that. Oh, yeah, and some guy named Stachowski. Jamie Stachowski, that is, of Restaurant Kolumbia, a man who knows his pork. Anyone who has been fortunate enough to sample his charcuterie, well, imagine what this man can do with a whole pig.

Hey, what's that sound? Oh, right, that's Team JG's confidence deflating.

It's on now.

I knew you couldn't cook without a pro behind you. :)

What's Wabek going to do, match the wines?

What the hell. I'm going to try to make it, with my baby in tow.

Not sure what I'm bringing since it will be a hell month for me. If somebody has a propane turkey fryer, I could do my famous vidalia onion hush puppies. If not, I'll come up with something simple.

I have a butane one-eye Iwatani type burner that I will bring as well, for chilis.

I am oiling up the pig roaster as we speak. JG have you ordered a pig yet?

QUOTE(Jacques Gastreaux @ Sep 29 2006, 03:14 PM)

Them's fightin' words where I come from, son.

Our team will include crescentfresh and, uhm, a couple of folks I haven't really touched base with in a while, so I'll get back to you on that. Oh, yeah, and some guy named Stachowski. Jamie Stachowski, that is, of Restaurant Kolumbia, a man who knows his pork. Anyone who has been fortunate enough to sample his charcuterie, well, imagine what this man can do with a whole pig.

Hey, what's that sound? Oh, right, that's Team JG's confidence deflating.

It's on now.

LETS DO IT!

Team JG includes mdt and celebrity chef, John Wabeck of Firefly

agm team includes crescentfresh and celebrity chef Jamie Stachowski of Restaurant Kolumbia…hmmm…

Sounds like “Iron Chef DonRockwell.com” to me! And the secret ingredient is…(well, not a secret anymore)…pork! :):):wub:

LETS DO IT!

Team JG includes mdt and celebrity chef, John Wabeck of Firefly

agm team includes crescentfresh and celebrity chef Jamie Stachowski of Restaurant Kolumbia…hmmm…

Sounds like “Iron Chef DonRockwell.com” to me! And the secret ingredient is…(well, not a secret anymore)…pork! :):):wub:

H-m-m-m. Maybe you oughta try and get celebrity chef Tom Power to referee this smackdown.

Our estimable Organizer-in-Chief (Crackers) has completed an inventory of supplies on hand, and determined that we are need of the following items:

sturdy paper plates (200)**

paper towel rolls (4-6)

disposable table cloths to fit long picnic tables (10)**

plastic knives (100)

quart-size zip lock bags: one box

large, heavy duty trash bags (10)

plastic wrap (one roll)

foam or heavy paper bowls, 8-12 oz. (50)

**These items should be contributed by someone planning to arrive in time to help with setting up (yes we need help with setting up)

If it's not on this list, chances are we already have enough.

If you can bring something on the above list in addition to the contribution you have already promised to bring, please indicate by posting in this thread. That way, others will know what is already covered.

I've been getting lots of additions to the food contributions list, and will be posting the current list later today. This event is shaping up to be a LALAPALOOZA!

Our estimable Organizer-in-Chief (Crackers) has completed an inventory of supplies on hand, and determined that we are need of the following items:

paper towel rolls (4-6)

plastic knives (100)

plastic wrap (one roll)

**These items should be contributed by someone planning to arrive in time to help with setting up (yes we need help with setting up)

If you can bring something on the above list in addition to the contribution you have already promised to bring, please indicate by posting in this thread. That way, others will know what is already covered.

I've been getting lots of additions to the food contributions list, and will be posting the current list later today. This event is shaping up to be a LALAPALOOZA!

Okay, I'll pick up large trash bags.

Okay--here's the latest list of who is coming and other than the pig roast and chili cook-off, other food being brought. Please also note the posting I made this morning about picnic supplies that we need.

(Thanks to JG for alphabetizing the list.)

agm and NotQuickDraw

Barbara

BBhasin (poss.)

bbq4me+1

Bilrus

brr+3

Camille and Beau

Capital Icebox

Catherine+1

Chica Grace

clayrae+1or2

Crackers+1

Crescent Fresh+4

Cucas87

Dame Edna

DanielK+?

Demvtr+1

Escoffier

ferment everything

goldenticket+1

Heather+3

hm212+2

Iliane+1

Iliane+1

Jacques Gastreaux

Jamie Stachowski

Jlock

JoeH+1

Johnny Rooks

JParrott

JPW

Lackadaisi

LaShanta+1

Legant

Malawry

MBK

MC Horoscope+1

mdt

MeMc

mktye

Monique DC

Nadya

NCPinDC

Pat+1

Porcupine+1

RaisaB

Rissa P

rvanrens+2

Scott Johnston

ScotteeM

Shogun

Starfish

StephenB

Synaesthesia+1

treznor

Tripewriter

ustreetguy

Walrus

xcanuck+1

Xochitl10

zoramargolis

Picnic Potluck Contributions other than pig, chili and fixin's

Appetizers/snacks/finger food

Now Notorious Deviled Eggs with Caviar: StephenB

never will be famous curried deviled eggs: Scott Johnston

Pork lumpia +finadene sauce: bbq4me

Cheese and bread: brr

Crudites:NCPinDC

Corn Sticks: Iliane

Shrimp remoulade: JoeH

Prosciutto and artichoke schiacciata, guacamole: clayrae

Sides/salads

Spicy roasted sweet potato salad; roasted corn salad+ avocado: (veganx2): Cucas87

Zucchini: Dame Edna

Corn bread: Rissa P

Green bean salad with pecans & blue cheese: ScotteeM

Saffron rice and black beans a la cubana: Chica Grace

Slaw(s): JPW

Platanos maduros (poss. with black beans): synaesthesia

Collards: Scott Johnston

Italian chicken salad (no mayo): Camille-Beau

Main course

Meat-

? grilled chicken: bbq4me

Homemade smoked salmon: xcanuck

Grilled beef skewers: rvanrens

Sausage and cabbage jambalaya: MC Horoscope

Vegetarian

Noodle-cheese casserole: Pat

Tofu in curried coconut milk; an eggplant entree: Demvtr

Desserts/sweets

2 desserts to be named later: RaisaB

Red velvet cake: Barbara

Red Velvet Cake: La Shanta

Apples, s’mores: NCPinDC

Brownies: hm212

Chocolate marble cake: Xochitl10

Lemon cake, brownies: Camille-Beau

Beverages

Wine: Cucas87

Wine: JPW

Wine: JParrott

Canadian beer: xcanuck

Beer: brr

Beer: Bonaire

Water: Porcupine

Water: Escoffier

Juice boxes, milk, soda: Heather

Sundry sorts of booze: Starfish

Case of White Hawk IPA: Iliane

Misc.

Bacon buns; mystery bread: mktye

New Mexico tortillas: Xochitl10

Cigars: Scott Johnston

Sports equipment: DanielK

Please PM me with additions or changes to these lists.

paper towel rolls (4-6)

plastic knives (100)

plastic wrap (one roll)

I guess that leaves me with knives, plastic wrap and zip lock bags.

Our estimable Organizer-in-Chief (Crackers) has completed an inventory of supplies on hand,
Organizer-in-Chief? I guess that makes me the Big OinC? Appropriate enough.

Thank all of you who have so graciously offered to bring supplies in addition to your food/beverage contributions!

After further reflection it looks like we will need about 200 of those divided plates for the chili tasting (you know, the ones that have three separate sections, so the foods don't touch each other for those "picky eater" types?) Can anybody bring those? We can serve up three chili tastings at one time that way.

Please PM Zora to let her know as soon as you have figured out what you're thinking of bringing so she can post it, and also so that Goldenticket can print up stick-on labels to put on each dish as it arrives. If something is vegan or vegetarian or has a secret (not obvious) ingredient that might cause one of the more well-known allergies or religious objections (peanuts, nuts, chocolate, shellfish, pork, alcohol, what else?) that would be helpful to indicate too.

And since we now have the two Pig Smackdown teams planning like maniacs behind the scenes...is it time to organize a post-piggie First Annual Tug of War in the event of a tie?

And since we now have the two Pig Smackdown teams planning like maniacs behind the scenes...is it time to organize a post-piggie First Annual Tug of War in the event of a tie?

Well, I will have spent most of the preceding day impersonating an athlete, and the remainder of the day dulling the pain I expect to inflict on myself with single malt whisky. So this member of Team Stachowski will have to sit this one out, although I'll happily cheer from the sidelines.

Looks like I'll be able to come, with one wife and one baby in tow. You'll know me from the screaming infant in one arm and spit-up stains on the other.

As for food, I'll be bringing a few bottles and a selection of milks. And some adult food too, though I cannot say what until I accurately measure the degree to which I am willing to subject my paltry cooking skills to the critique of experts. I am working on this determination now.

Last year the coolers with wine/beer in got a bit cramped, so extra capacity might not be a bad thing. You never know what you'll end up with at the end of the day! (Right, JPW?)
I have absolutely no idea what you mean.

Here is another list of who's coming and what they are bringing. Kudos to crackers for collating all of the various lists. Those of you who have not yet committed to bringing something can PM me, and I will add your contribution to the list.

agm and NotQuickDraw: roast pig

Barbara: red velvet cake

BBhasin (poss.)

bbq4me+1: lumpia with finadene sauce; grilled chicken

Billy deLion: plates; water

Bilrus: red ranch chili with pork shoulder

bonaire +1: corn chips; dip; beer

brr+3: cheese; bread; beer

Camille and Beau: Italian chicken salad; brownies; lemon cake

Capital Icebox

Catherine+1: vegetarian chili

Chica Grace: Cuban rice and beans

cjsadler&txaggie: beef chili;cornbread;wine;beer;ice

clayrae+1or2: Prosciutto&artichoke schiacciata, guacamole:

Crackers+1: chicken chili with toppings

Crescent Fresh+4: roast pig; paper plates; paper towels;

Cucas87: Spicy roasted sweet potato salad;roasted corn salad/avocado;wine

Dame Edna: zucchini

DanielK+?: soccer equipment

Demvtr+1: tofu in curried coconut milk; eggplant entree

Escoffier: water; trash bags

ferment everything

goldenticket+1

Gubeen: key lime pie

Heather+3: juice; milk; soda; two-burner stove

hm212+2: New York style Texas chili; brownies

Iliane+1: thermonuclear beef chili; corn sticks;beer;

2-burner stove; chafing dish

Jacques Gastreaux: roast pig; smoked pork butt chili; 2-burner stove

Jamie Stachowski: roast pig

Jlock

JoeH+1: shrimp remoulade

Johnny Rooks: roast pig

JParrott: wines; corkscrew;ice;ham

JPW: slaws; assorted wines

Lackadaisi

LaShanta+1: red velvet cake

Legant

Malawry: butane burner

MBK

MC Horoscope+1: Sausage and cabbage jambalaya

Mdt: roast pig; cornbread;pate'

MeMc: chow-chow; something to drink

Mktye: bacon buns; mystery bread

Monique DC

Nadya

NCPinDC: crudites; apples; s'mores

Pat+1: noodle-cheese casserole; turkey chili with beans

Porcupine+1: chili; steam tables; serving spoons;water; two-burner stove

RaisaB: pig roaster; two desserts

Rissa P: corn bread

rvanrens+2: beef skewers

Scott Johnston: collards; deviled eggs; cigars

ScotteeM: green bean salad; sauces for pork

Shogun

Spiral Stairs+1: cinnamon-poached pineapple

Starfish: assorted booze

StephenB: deviled eggs

Synaesthesia+1: Platanos maduros (poss. with black beans)

Treznor: bbq sauce

Tripewriter: Cincinnati chili with five-way fixins

ustreetguy: plastic knives, quart ziplock bags; plastic wrap

Walrus: mystery dish

xcanuck+1: smoked salmon; beer;chili with cubed meats

Xochitl10: chocolate marble cake; New Mexico tortillas

zoramargolis: roasted tomato-chile adobo; mustards

Please PM Zora to let her know as soon as you have figured out what you're thinking of bringing so she can post it, and also so that Goldenticket can print up stick-on labels to put on each dish as it arrives. If something is vegan or vegetarian or has a secret (not obvious) ingredient that might cause one of the more well-known allergies or religious objections (peanuts, nuts, chocolate, shellfish, pork, alcohol, what else?) that would be helpful to indicate too.
Just a reminder to please let me know if your dish contains ingredients (like those listed above) that it would be useful to mention on the label. I may contact you for more details if I have questions.

Also, anyone needing or offering a ride, please PM me.

If you're coming from the Adams Morgan/Dupont Circle area and have room for a few passengers, please let me know.

Thanks!

For those of you still mulling over what to bring...bring mustards, bring chutneys...bring salsas and hoisin. Bring interesting condiments that taste good with grilled chicken, genuine Smithfield ham and hot roasted pork. Store-bought would be welcome for those who are culinarily- or time-challenged. We have some chow-chow, slaws and bbq sauce coming, and I've heard that one of our finest home-chefs is bringing homemade roasted tomato-chile adobo.

[anybody bringing biscuits?]