dr.com 2nd Annual Fall Picnic

I'm told that we are indeed still looking for contributions of more bottled water. Please post or PM me if you can help.

Please also remember to bring your own folding chairs to sit on. There will be picnic tables, but many of those will be covered with food and beverage offerings, limiting the actual number of tables around which to sit and eat.

:)

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm told that we are indeed still looking for contributions of more bottled water. Please post or PM me if you can help.

Please also remember to bring your own folding chairs to sit on. There will be picnic tables, but many of those will be covered with food and beverage offerings, limiting the actual number of tables around which to sit and eat.

I'm good for a case of water.

Thanks much! Up to my elbows in weddings today. But I just saw there's another picnic coming up. I'll see if I can carve out some room in my schedule.
OMG - how did I let this one slip by me?! BKeith - if you are reading this - please do come to the picnic! Your ventworm cake is is the stuff of legend. :)

ventwormcakesideviewql4.jpg

Them's fightin' words where I come from, son.

Our team will include crescentfresh and, uhm, a couple of folks I haven't really touched base with in a while, so I'll get back to you on that. Oh, yeah, and some guy named Stachowski. Jamie Stachowski, that is, of Restaurant Kolumbia, a man who knows his pork. Anyone who has been fortunate enough to sample his charcuterie, well, imagine what this man can do with a whole pig.

Hey, what's that sound? Oh, right, that's Team JG's confidence deflating.

It's on now.

You bet baby! Hope you have been planning and concocting a killer recipe. Team JG had a productive meeting of the minds (keep sarcastic comments to yourself) recently and we cannot wait to put the piggie to the plate.

You bet baby! Hope you have been planning and concocting a killer recipe. Team JG had a productive meeting of the minds (keep sarcastic comments to yourself) recently and we cannot wait to put the piggie to the plate.

Not to fuel the fire, (or to!) Take note---mdt is going to be at Restaurant Kolumbia this evening--who's gonna referee if the dukes come out tonite? :)

(I really, really wish I could make it to the picnic to witness for myself, but alas, my vacation begins in about 1 minute and I am... yeeeee hah...5..4..3..2..1..OUTTA HERE!)

A friendly reminder that this picnic is a PRIVATE EVENT open only to donrockwell.com members and their invited guests. Members and their guests will be asked to sign in when they arrive. If you have been thinking about coming to the picnic, but are not a member, now would be an excellent time to register. :)

A big thank you to everyone who has offered to bring water in addition to your food/beverage contribution! We now have plenty (and in addition, there is a water fountain.)

If you have not yet let Zora know you are coming, or how many guests will be coming with you, or if you have not yet told her what you are bringing to share (in addition to water), please let her know in the next couple of days, if possible, so we can have the sign-in information and labels ready to go for you. If you need to wait until the last minute to decide - no problem at all, but if you're even thinking of coming, please do let her know. We want to see you!

Hi there, your friendly Cellar Cull guy here. As mentioned (waaaaaaaaaay) upthread, any and all are encouraged to bring any and all wines, etc., of potential excitement. It's not about Lafite (it's not about 10-yr-old bottles of Cook's, either, at least not unopened ones at the end of the day), it's about seeing what sticks and mercilessly feeding the soil with what doesn't. So slurp one, slurp all!

Well then, any recommendations out there for other wines to pair with fresh roasted pork and/or chili?
For my palate, syrah is pork's best friend. The Ch. Negly "La Cote Rouge" Languedoc that we tried at the Corduroy wine dinner would be perfect with pig bbq.

Chili = beer. It just does.

We-he-hell, folks...

Five more days until "Over the River and Through the Woods to Fort Tryon Park We Go"

I've been trying to keep tabs, despite Internet connection problems at home. If there are glaring errors, please let me know. And for those of you who have not decided what you are bringing--I'd like to fill in those blank spaces on the list. If I've got you down only for water, please let me know what ELSE you are bringing. This is a not-so-subtle hint, that water ain't enough...

agm and NotQuickDraw: roast pig

Barbara: red velvet cake

BBhasin (poss.)

bbq4me+1: lumpia with finadene sauce

Billy deLion: plates; water

Bilrus+1: red ranch chili with pork shoulder

bonaire +1: corn chips; dip; beer

brr+3: cheese; bread; beer

Camille and Beau: Italian chicken salad; brownies; lemon cake

Capital Icebox:

Catherine+1: vegetarian chili

Chica Grace: Cuban rice and beans

Cjsadler&txaggie: beef chili;cornbread;wine;beer;ice

clayrae+1or2: Prosciutto&artichoke schiacciata, guacamole:

Crackers+1: chicken chili with toppings

Crescent Fresh+4: roast pig; paper plates; paper towels;

Cucas87: Spicy roasted sweet potato salad; roasted corn salad+ avocado, wine

Dame Edna: zucchini

DanielK+?: soccer equipment;sodas&gatorade

Demvtr+1: tofu in curried coconut milk; eggplant entree

Erik Ox+1: water

Escoffier: water; trash bags

ferment everything+2: homemade gouda&mustard;beer

goldenticket+1:

Gubeen: key lime pie

Heather+3: drinks; two-burner stove

hm212+2: New York style Texas chili; brownies

Iliane+1: thermonuclear beef chili; corn sticks;beer; 2-burner stove; chafing dish

Jacques Gastreaux+3: roast pig; smoked pork butt chili; 2-burner stove;Martian Pig Slop from Hell

Jamie Stachowski: roast pig

Jlock:

JoeH+1: shrimp remoulade

Johnny Rooks: roast pig

JParrott: country ham; green tomato chutney; wines; corkscrew

JPW: slaws; assorted wines

Lackadaisi:

LaShanta+1: red velvet cake

Legant+2: onions, cheese, sour cream, marshmallows

Malawry: butane burner

MBK:

MC Horoscope+1: Sausage and cabbage jambalaya

mdt: roast pig; cornbread; pate

MeMc+1: chow-chow; something to drink

Mktye+1: bacon buns; mystery bread

Monique DC:

Nadya:

NCPinDC: crudites; apples; s'mores

Pat+1: Noodle-cheese casserole; turkey chili with beans

Porcupine: chili; steam tables; serving spoons;water; two-burner stove (2?)

RaisaB: pig roaster; four kinds of cookies

Rissa P: corn bread

rvanrens+2: beef skewers

Scott Johnston: collards; deviled eggs; cigars

ScotteeM: green bean salad; sauces for pork

Shogun:

Spiral Stairs +1: cinnamon-poached pineapple

Starfish: assorted booze

StephenB: deviled eggs

Synaesthesia+1: Platanos maduros (poss. with black beans)

Treznor: bbq sauce

Tripewriter: Cincinnati chili with five-way fixins

ustreetguy: plastic knives, quart ziplock bags; plastic wrap

Walrus: mystery dish

xcanuck+1: smoked salmon; beer; chili with cubed meats

Xochitl10: chocolate marble cake; New Mexico tortillas

zoramargolis: roasted tomato-chile adobo; mustards

edit:

ferment everything+2: 5month-old homemade gouda, homemade mustard, beer (possibly including homebrew if i feel like tapping it off into a few champagne bottles before leaving). oh and maybe a side or two from the +2, they're still deliberating.

A recipe collection will be put together for this picnic, along the lines of what we did for the Fall, 2005 Picnic Recipes (which contains the evil Martian Pigslop from Hell recipe) or the Spring, 2006 Picnic Recipes . So try to write down what you did to come up with your contribution and after the picnic I'll put them all together for posterity. You can bring a copy of the recipe with you to the picnic, email me or PM me, at any time.

As we did last year, there will be a $1 donation jar to help defray the cost of the site rental. This time we will also use it to help with the cost of the pig roasts. All donations are purely voluntary, but gratefully accepted.

The pig roast is costing about $300 (and apparently, four people have already pitched in and paid for it), so the first $300 of donations will go towards the pig roast. Anything collected above and beyond that amount will go directly to the family of Luis "Quike" Morales (click here for details).

The pig roast is costing about $300 (and apparently, four people have already pitched in and paid for it), so the first $300 of donations will go towards the pig roast. Anything collected above and beyond that amount will go directly to the family of Luis "Quike" Morales (click here for details).
We are asking for voluntary donations to cover the cost of the picnic site rental as well: $135. We are expecting about 100 members and guests at the picnic. Y'all can do the math. The donation jar will be at the sign-in table. :)

Woah, what a spread. I would try to eat lightly for the rest of the week, 'ceptin' I have a couple of visits to Eve and some compulsory chili tasting scheduled between now and the pique-nique.

Oh, we-he-ell!

I plan to help surpass the pig-roast goal (1st annual DR pork-a-thon?), and hope others will too.

Anyone looking for a ride/offering a ride:

Please PM me and let me know where you're coming from (general area or Metro stop), whether you need/can provide a ride, and how many seats you need/spaces are available.

REMINDER - LAST CALL FOR RIDES:

Picnic's coming up fast! If you'd like to attend and need transportation to get there, please send me a PM in the next day or so.

DUPONT CIRCLE AREA RIDES NEEDED - If you have room for 2-3 people, please send me a PM so we can get some folks there (trust me, they're bringing some good stuff - we WANT them to get there :) )

Thanks!

Someone has asked when prime "eating time" is going to be at the picnic. The food will go out on the tables starting before noon, and reinforcements will arrive all afternoon. The chili-tasting will probably begin around 12:30 pm and continue until 1:30 or 2:00 pm. The pigs will be ready to carve between 2:00 and 2:30 pm. Generally, the early birds get more worms, particularly the worms at the bottom of the evil Martian Pigslop from Hell, but the pig pickin' and the rest of the eating (and drinking) should go on all afternoon. We have yet to come close to running out of food. Unfortunately, this time it doesn't look like there will be any jello molds or even anything containing Miracle Whip (and we have the nerve to call this a picnic :) ). I hope people aren't so disappointed by this that they decide not to come.

edited to add: cocktail hour begins at 10:00 am for those coming to help with set-up.

Time to use those baking pans I got from the last DR.com flea market and my fun cast iron ones. I know its just cornbread, but I’ll have fun with it.

Cornbread versions:

plain :lol:

jalapeno, bacon and cheddar cheese :)

foie gras :)

We’ll see how it goes…while I’m at it, I’ll add some sort of cantaloupe drink, too.

Did someone say "Foie Gras"

Time to use those baking pans I got from the last DR.com flea market and my fun cast iron ones. I know its just cornbread, but I’ll have fun with it.

Cornbread versions:

plain :lol:

jalapeno, bacon and cheddar cheese :)

foie gras :)

We’ll see how it goes…while I’m at it, I’ll add some sort of cantaloupe drink, too.

New updates on who's bringing what:

agm and NotQuickDraw: roast pig

Barbara: red velvet cake

BBhasin (poss.)

bbq4me+1: lumpia with finadene sauce

Billy deLion: plates; water

Bilrus+1: red ranch chili with pork shoulder

bonaire +1: corn chips; dip; beer

brr+3: cheese; bread; beer

Camille and Beau: Italian chicken salad; brownies; lemon cake

Capital Icebox:

Catherine+1: vegetarian chili

Chica Grace: Cuban rice and beans

Cjsadler&txaggie: beef chili;cornbread;wine;beer;ice

clayrae+1or2: Prosciutto&artichoke schiacciata, guacamole:

Crackers+1: chicken chili with toppings

Crescent Fresh+4: roast pig; paper plates; paper towels;

Cucas87: Spicy roasted sweet potato salad; roasted corn salad+ avocado, wine

Dame Edna: zucchini

DanielK+?: soccer equipment;sodas&gatorade

Demvtr+1: tofu in curried coconut milk; eggplant entree

eating out+1: Oktoberfest beer

Erik Ox+1: water

Escoffier: water; trash bags

ferment everything+2: homemade gouda&mustard;beer

goldenticket+1:

Gubeen: key lime pie; cranberry chutney

Heather+3: drinks;

hm212+2: New York style Texas chili; brownies

Iliane+1: thermonuclear beef chili; corn sticks;beer; 2-burner stove; chafing dish

Jacques Gastreaux+3: roast pig; smoked pork butt chili; 2-burner stove;Martian Pig Slop from Hell

Jamie Stachowski: roast pig

Jlock:

JoeH+1: shrimp remoulade

Johnny Rooks: roast pig

JParrott: country ham; green tomato chutney; wines; corkscrew

JPW: slaws; assorted wines

Lackadaisi:

LaShanta+1: red velvet cake

Legant+2: onions, cheese, sour cream, marshmallows

Malawry: butane burner

MBK+1: guacamole

MC Horoscope+1: Sausage and cabbage jambalaya

mdt: roast pig; cornbread; pate

MeMc+1: chow-chow; something to drink

Mktye+1: bacon buns; mystery bread

Monique DC:

Nadya: Moroccan spiced chicken& couscous

NCPinDC: crudites; apples; s'mores

Pat+1: Noodle-cheese casserole; turkey chili with beans

pidgey+3: red potato salad

Porcupine: chili; steam tables; serving spoons;water; two-burner stove (2?)

RaisaB: pig roaster; four kinds of cookies

Rissa P: corn bread 3 ways; cantaloupe drink

rvanrens+2: beef skewers

Scott Johnston: collards; deviled eggs; cigars

ScotteeM: green bean salad; sauces for pork

Shogun:

Spiral Stairs +1: cinnamon-poached pineapple

Starfish: assorted booze

StephenB: deviled eggs

Synaesthesia+1: Platanos maduros (poss. with black beans)

Treznor: bbq sauce

Tripewriter: Cincinnati chili with five-way fixins

ustreetguy: plastic knives, quart ziplock bags; plastic wrap

Walrus: mystery dish

xcanuck+1: smoked salmon; beer; chili with cubed meats

Xochitl10: chocolate marble cake; New Mexico tortillas

zoramargolis: roasted tomato-chile adobo; mustards

I'll be bringing carrot cupcakes with ginger cream cheese icing. They're delish. But beware. DO NOT bring these to room temp before eating. I can't be held responsible for your cupcake experience once they hit 72 degrees.
Great first post. Is that baby drool on your keyboard? :)

Did someone say "Foie Gras"
Hmm.....115 people and only one potato salad....
Four pounds of Galatoire's shrimp remoulade...

This is not your grandmother's picnic. And Nutty Buddy, don't worry about the cupcakes getting too warm - the weather report is predicting a high of 62 on Sunday. [Obviously your real first name is not Warren!]

I'll be bringing carrot cupcakes with ginger cream cheese icing. They're delish. But beware. DO NOT bring these to room temp before eating. I can't be held responsible for your cupcake experience once they hit 72 degrees.
Welcome Nutty Buddy! As a connoisseur of snark, I can't wait to meet you. :)

Chica: I'm so proud of you!!! finally we get post from you. What I will do is bring my appetite. And therefore, do you fabulous cupcakes justice with my eating.

I will be attending and bring a pie or two of some sort. We'll see what happens Saturday afternoon and leave it at that.

Also, this is a public announcement that I will be doing videotaped interviews with some Donrockwell.com members who are fans of the Shoebox Oven. I have the full blessing of Krishna Brown, owner of the very merry little bakery, as well as Don Rocks and company. I am doing a documentary on the Shoebox Oven focusing on what it takes to make it in this business, and spreading the word about her wares on a site like this is certainly part of it. If you don't know about Shoebox, head on over to the Shopping and Cooking section and there's a great, informative thread over there.

I do not want to freak anyone out when they get there and see a video camera! I want to assure everyone that you will NOT BE FILMED unless you sign a written release that allows me to do so. This won't end up on teh evil YouTube, it will be shown in my Documentary Production class at American University (I am a graduate film student there). I might point my camera at a dead pig or two because, really I don't see these things everyday :)

If anyone has any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me. If you're a Shoebox fan and would like to tell me why you dig Shoebox on camera, PM me as well.

Looking forward to a great afternoon!

nicole (or skysplitter if you prefer)