dr.com 2nd Annual Fall Picnic

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have been notoriously silent weather we ar attending or not. Unfortunately, with visitors in town and minor surgery scheduled early Monday morning, we are not going to attend. We will miss seeeing those we know and meeting new folk. Have a wonderful time and enjoy. Don't eat too much or drink too much (yeah right!).

The picnic site adjacent to ours, on the right (as one faces away from the parking lot) C1 - will be occupied, so we all need to be mindful of that.

One more time before things get busy this weekend, I am re-posting, with a few updates, a list of helpful hints that mktye put together for the last picnic. Also, cucas87 has done a great job of assembling a FAQ here that goes into greater detail on some of the specifics.

DO come to the picnic even if you don't cook. Goodies picked up from your favorite bakery/cheese shop/restaurant/wine shop are perfectly fine. An appetite for delicious food and drink is all that is required.

DON’T think you have to make something fancy if you are cooking. Keep in mind that your dish may need to sit out at room temperature for at least an hour or two and that it will be eaten in a picnic setting.

DO consider other non-food options if you don’t want to cook anything. One member brought a soccer set to the last picnic and it was a big hit with the kids. Beverages (adult and otherwise) are also greatly appreciated.

DON’T make tons and tons of food. Ten to twelve servings is plenty. Really. There will be a lot of fabulous food to taste and most everyone will only want a bite or two of any one item.

DO try to remember to bring appropriate prep and serving utensils for whatever food you bring.

DON’T feel you need to present your food in your best crystal, silver and/or china. In fact, if you don't plan on staying all afternoon, disposable serving containers are preferable.

DO put your name on any items you are concerned might get lost or left behind (a piece of masking tape with your name written on it with waterproof ink works great for this).

DON’T worry about having to cook dinner that night or possibly even the next day – Think about bringing baggies/plastic wrap for those who want to take home leftovers.

DO show up on time if you want to partake in some of the more popular food/drink items -- such as the chili tasting and Martian Pigslop from Hell.

DON’T even think about not showing up just because you are running late. Come anyway. I suspect we’ll be there until they kick us out of the park.

DO bring your families. Children of all ages are very welcome.

DON’T bring your pets. We have hearty appetites and hot grills and we'd hate to make a drunken mistake.

DO come even if your dog ate your lovingly prepared dish in a fit of vengeance because it could not attend the picnic and you have to make a last minute change to what you said you’d be bringing.

DON’T eat a large breakfast beforehand. Once again, there will be a lot of food.

DO refrain from posting any photographs or videos from the picnic on the internet that include a person's face, unless that person has given you permission, in advance, to post it. This is a private event and we value and respect everybody's privacy.

DON'T worry, be happy!

I just found out that I have to go out of town on Sunday. So I will NOT make it to the picnic. :) Try to have as much fun as you can manage in my absence. So it looks like you'll only have one red velvet cake. Make sure you share.

Peace & Many Blessings,

LaShanta

My internet connection has been down for the past 18 hours, so I'm a little behind the 8-ball here. I will be out of town all day tomorrow, so if there are last minute changes, please send a PM to goldenticket.

CU Sunday, everyone!

z

agm and NotQuickDraw: roast pig

alan 7147+1: wine

Barbara: red velvet cake

BBhasin (poss.)

bbq4me+1: lumpia with finadene sauce

Billy deLion: plates; water

Bilrus+1: red ranch chili with pork shoulder

brr+3: cheese; bread; beer

Camille and Beau: Italian chicken salad; brownies; lemon cake

Capital Icebox:

Catherine+1: vegetarian chili

Chica Grace+2: Cuban rice and beans

Cjsadler&txaggie: wine;beer;ice; a dessert

clayrae+1or2: Prosciutto&artichoke schiacciata, guacamole:

Crackers+1: chicken chili with toppings

Crescent Fresh+4: roast pig; paper plates; paper towels;

Cucas87: Spicy roasted sweet potato salad; roasted corn salad+ avocado, wine

Dame Edna: zucchini

DanielK+?: soccer equipment;sodas&gatorade

Demvtr+1: tofu in curried coconut milk; eggplant entree

eating out+1: Oktoberfest beer

Erik Ox+1: water

Escoffier: water; trash bags

ferment everything+2: homemade gouda&mustard;beer

goldenticket+1:

Gubeen: key lime pie; cranberry chutney

Heather+3: drinks

hm212+2: New York style Texas chili; brownies

holdtheline+1:

Iliane+1: thermonuclear beef chili; corn sticks;beer; 2-burner stove; chafing dish

Jacques Gastreaux+3: roast pig; smoked pork butt chili; 2-burner stove;Martian Pig Slop from Hell

Jamie Stachowski: roast pig

Jlock:

JoeH+2: shrimp remoulade

Johnny Rooks: roast pig

JParrott: country ham; green tomato chutney; wines; corkscrew

JPW: slaws; assorted wines

Lackadaisi:

Legant+2: onions, cheese, sour cream, marshmallows

MBK+1: guacamole&salsa

MC Horoscope+1: Sausage and cabbage jambalaya

mdt: roast pig; cornbread; pate

MeMc+1: chow-chow; something to drink

Mktye+1: bacon buns; mystery bread

Monavano+1: country captain chicken; coffee cake with blueberries

Monique DC:

Nadya: Moroccan spiced chicken& couscous

Nutty Buddy: carrot cupcakes

NCPinDC: crudites; apples; s'mores

Pat+1: Noodle-cheese casserole; turkey chili with beans

pidgey+3: red potato salad

Porcupine: chili; steam tables; serving spoons;water; two-burner stoves

RaisaB+5: pig roaster; four kinds of cookies

Rissa P: corn bread 3 ways; cantaloupe drink

rvanrens+2: beef skewers

Scott Johnston: collards; deviled eggs; cigars;sauces for pork

ScotteeM: green bean salad

Skysplitter: pies; film crew&camera

Spiral Stairs +1: cinnamon-poached pineapple

Starfish: assorted booze

StephenB: deviled eggs

Synaesthesia+1: Platanos maduros (poss. with black beans)

Treznor: bbq sauce

Tripewriter: Cincinnati chili with five-way fixins

ustreetguy: plastic knives, quart ziplock bags; plastic wrap

Walrus: mystery dish

wineguy+1: guacamole; bocce

xcanuck+1: smoked salmon; beer; chili with cubed meats

Xochitl10: chocolate marble cake; New Mexico tortillas

zoramargolis+2: roasted tomato-chile adobo; mustards

I'm bringing PJASchultz along with me (who I don't think has made a post yet). We're still bringing the Carolina BBQ sauce, and some sort of dessert. Was thinking Red Velvet Cake since it fits the theme so well but someone's already bringing one, so I'll probably make something else instead. I'm thinking pumpkin pie or german chocolate cake (oddly enough most of the pig pickings I've been to have had german chocolate cake at them), or possibly a pumpkin cake (if we get adventurous).

We have been notoriously silent weather we ar attending or not. Unfortunately, with visitors in town and minor surgery scheduled early Monday morning, we are not going to attend. We will miss seeeing those we know and meeting new folk. Have a wonderful time and enjoy. Don't eat too much or drink too much (yeah right!).

Dean, I am sorry that you are not able to come. I had looked forward to the possibility of meeting you. Regardless, I wish you the best with the surgery. With health everything else is a distant second. Best wishes!

I'm bringing PJASchultz along with me (who I don't think has made a post yet). We're still bringing the Carolina BBQ sauce, and some sort of dessert. Was thinking Red Velvet Cake since it fits the theme so well but someone's already bringing one, so I'll probably make something else instead. I'm thinking pumpkin pie or german chocolate cake (oddly enough most of the pig pickings I've been to have had german chocolate cake at them), or possibly a pumpkin cake (if we get adventurous).
The Red Velvet Cake Thread got split off from the picnic thread. In it, I suggested that since there was going to be a pig-picking contest and a chili tasting, we should also have a Red Velvet Cake tasting. LaShanta had agreed to bring one, but she has had to pull out. With 130+ people coming, there can never be too much Red Velvet Cake. :)

The Red Velvet Cake Thread got split off from the picnic thread. In it, I suggested that since there was going to be a pig-picking contest and a chili tasting, we should also have a Red Velvet Cake tasting. LaShanta had agreed to bring one, but she has had to pull out. With 130+ people coming, there can never be too much Red Velvet Cake. :)

Hmmm, I read that but forgot about it :-) Ended up going with pumpkin cupcakes and banana pudding. It's been a while since I've made banana pudding with using pudding mix from a box, but I figure by making both at least one or the other will turn out decently :-)

The kitchen at maison Miller is strangely serene after a three hour flurry of activity: chopping onions, browning chuck, rendering fat, frying and soaking and grinding chiles anchos, mulatos, and negros , chopping jalapenos and serranos and habaneros, grinding spices, blackening and peeling and chopping poblanos and sweet red bells, cleaning and simmering beans... Not to mention a full dishwasher and a pile of pots and utensils drying in the rack, red spatters on the backsplash just when I thought I was done with the counters. The refrigerator is shockingly empty. I have no appetite though the house smells like a chile pepper bazaar. The dog is giving me the look (if you have a dog you know what I mean). My hands and eyes and nose are burning, and I'm happy as can be.

How is your t-minus-one-day going?

Ilaine will be +2, the DH and the Elder Son. As stated previously, bringing thermonuclear chili (ten habaneros!), corn sticks (plain, not fancy), case of beer, chafing dish, sterno, coleman stove and fuel for same, and matches, just in case.

Also, after planting my garlic bed, turns out I have garlic cloves left over. Varieties: Creole Red, Metechi, Nootka Rose, Persian Star, Polish, Shandong, Sicilian Silver, varying amounts.

Would it be OK if I set up a garlic tasting? I'd bring small folding table, garlic, cutting board, knife, small bowls, and cards for comments to be returned to me. The only variety I have that a lot of people can taste is Nootka Rose. Not sure if 1/4 clove is too much for a tasting. Not sure how to cleanse one's palate between garlic tastes (if this is even possible). Raw garlic. If the garlic I planted actually grows, next year I might try a roasted garlic tasting.

The kitchen at maison Miller is strangely serene after a three hour flurry of activity: chopping onions, browning chuck, rendering fat, frying and soaking and grinding chiles anchos, mulatos, and negros , chopping jalapenos and serranos and habaneros, grinding spices, blackening and peeling and chopping poblanos and sweet red bells, cleaning and simmering beans... Not to mention a full dishwasher and a pile of pots and utensils drying in the rack, red spatters on the backsplash just when I thought I was done with the counters. The refrigerator is shockingly empty. I have no appetite though the house smells like a chile pepper bazaar. The dog is giving me the look (if you have a dog you know what I mean). My hands and eyes and nose are burning, and I'm happy as can be.

How is your t-minus-one-day going?

I've started having sneezing fits. It must be from peppers, though I have not gone to anywhere near the lengths you have to prepare them. My secret weapon is a carousel cannister of dried chile powders and flakes from dean and deluca, though I've been chopping anaheims, fresnos, jalapenos, and a lone habanero.

The chili smells great and the cat is staying away, but that may have something to do with my stepping on her this morning :) .

I need to make my casserole in the morning and I say (confidently), that should be nothing :)

1) Thank you to all who offered rides! Your generous offers are appreciated, even if we didn't need to take you up on them, thanks for offering!

I think we've got everyone covered (If not, please PM ASAP and we'll see what we can do).

2) Food labels - I've printed a set based on what I think is the most current information. If for some reason, I've overlooked your dish (or didn't have the information available at press time :) ) - I apologize.... I will have plenty of blank labels, so please be sure to write one up and make sure we all know what delectable you brought.

3) Food ingredients - Again, when possible/known, I've tried to indicate ingredients that might be worth noting for allergy/dietary/personal reasons (e.g., dairy, nuts, pork). If I've missed something for your dish, please note it on the label.

Well, I took some liberties (I know, I know) with the Prosciutto and Artichoke Schiacciata and it turned out…interesting...

I’ll bring it along, perhaps once people break into the wine and beer it will be polished off :)

(Casa Rachel does smell like fresh baked bread, so it wasn’t a total waste!!)

Avocados et al are lined up for chopping for fresh guacamole in the morning….

Back from the stores, 3 compartment plates are apparently not as popular as I thought ! For anyone keeping count here's what I picked up. It's all heavy duty so it should serve several passes through the food.

170 Regular plates

250 3 compartment plates

200 Dinner napkins

120 each Knife, fork, spoon plasticware

50 1 gallon Ziplock Freezer bags

35 .5 litre Deer Park spring water

Looks like some garbage bags(I think I read about someone supplying upthread ?) and plastic cups might help.

Looking forward to all this great food and company !

BD

FOLDING CHAIRS!

There are going to be a lot of us! Certainly more than the 100 the site is supposed to accommodate. And, after accounting for food and beverage tables, probably not enough tables around which we all can sit. So, please bring folding chairs for yourself and if you have some to spare, toss those in the car too.

Now I'm going to get cooking. casa crackers smells like Murphy's oil soap and windex instead of chilis and onions like it should.

Just got back from the Team Stachowski pig preperation. I never would have thought to do some of what was done, so it was awesome to work with Jamie to see what he came up with :-) The Banana Pudding is finished and in the fridge, the pumpkin cupcakes just need icing, and the Carolina BBQ sauce (and onion) is getting pulled out of the crock pot sometime tonight, so luckily everything is pretty much set, cause I'm kinda beat from pig prep.

Now just have to get to the park extra early tomorrow and get the pig cooking, sit back, and have a good time.

I have a few chairs to contribute.... good call Crackers. Now I need to make a request... I am bringing the making of S'mores. I have some hangers to contribute to the cause but not nearly as many as we'll need. If you can sacrifice a few metal hangers (the kind from the dry cleaner) I would greatly appreciate it... so would the S'mores.

Thanks!

I have a few chairs to contribute.... good call Crackers. Now I need to make a request... I am bringing the making of S'mores. I have some hangers to contribute to the cause but not nearly as many as we'll need. If you can sacrifice a few metal hangers (the kind from the dry cleaner) I would greatly appreciate it... so would the S'mores.

Thanks!

Every challenge is an opportunity. I will be happy to bring a bunch.