Field Roast

deangold

Silver Spring Whole Foods has something called a "Vegetarian Field Roast" reuben, featuring "field roast" as one of the ingredients. I don't think I want to know what that is. :)

Field roast is something delusional vegetarians eat to remind them of why they don't eat meat. I know of no meat eating person in the history of my 10 years at Whole Foods who voluntarily ate the shit! We all tasted it because a sales rep told us it was good and we were always looking for veggie alternative meats that were at least palatable. If there is an opposite of palatable, field roast is it! I think it is slightly better than old worn out asphalt sshingle covered with several inches of guano, but just barely. It is the only food like substance that makes a tofurky seem like a golden brown roasted delight!

This is what makes me laugh so much about some of the food products sold in the natural foods industry. If you are a veggie and need some proteins, there are so many things you can eat that are relatively natural- bean curd can be naturally pricessed into hundreds of forms and made to be quite delicious. But soy cheese and field roast and so many items of this ilk are nothing more than highly manufactured and processed foods that have no place in anyone's diet. Evolution and our genes have designed us to be omnivores. We shouldn't be eathing processed crap of any kind, whether it is a mickey d's burger (which bears no more resembalance to hamburger than saw dust does to a 2x4) or field roast.

And don't get me started on the idea of feeding soy cheese to lactose intolerant children!

Health food my ass!

Field roast is something delusional vegetarians eat to remind them of why they don't eat meat. I know of no meat eating person in the history of my 10 years at Whole Foods who voluntarily ate the shit! We all tasted it because a sales rep told us it was good and we were always looking for veggie alternative meats that were at least palatable. If there is an opposite of palatable, field roast is it! I think it is slightly better than old worn out asphalt sshingle covered with several inches of guano, but just barely. It is the only food like substance that makes a tofurky seem like a golden brown roasted delight!

This is what makes me laugh so much about some of the food products sold in the natural foods industry. If you are a veggie and need some proteins, there are so many things you can eat that are relatively natural- bean curd can be naturally pricessed into hundreds of forms and made to be quite delicious. But soy cheese and field roast and so many items of this ilk are nothing more than highly manufactured and processed foods that have no place in anyone's diet. Evolution and our genes have designed us to be omnivores. We shouldn't be eathing processed crap of any kind, whether it is a mickey d's burger (which bears no more resembalance to hamburger than saw dust does to a 2x4) or field roast.

And don't get me started on the idea of feeding soy cheese to lactose intolerant children!

Health food my ass!

Do you feel strongly about this, Dean? I realize this is off topic, but a friend of ours is a vegan and once forced Grover and I into eating tofurkey...it took 2 years to forgive him...and I want real corned beef not a veggie substitute.

Do you feel strongly about this, Dean? I realize this is off topic, but a friend of ours is a vegan and once forced Grover and I into eating tofurkey...it took 2 years to forgive him...and I want real corned beef not a veggie substitute.

2 years is too short. I would hold a grudge for as long as I could remember the taste.

I love going to chinese vegetarian joiints and eating all the fake meats. But these are simple products that you coulr fabricate in your home. Tofurky and field roast are total crap!

Yeah I guess I do feel strongly about it! :)