Chubby's Southern Style Barbecue, Emmitsburg, MD - Owner Tom Caulfield on the East Side of Route 15

We got takeout, and ate it at home a couple of hours later. And again for lunch today :-) Yes, that's good pastrami. Moist, tender, enough fat for flavor. Seasoned and smoked to enhance the beef, not hide it. Get Katz's in New York, and Stachowski's in DC, but if you're anywhere in the area it's definitely worth a stop into Chubby's.

Note: it's not on the menu, but was listed as a special. I don't know if it's always available.

We have been stopping at Chubby's following visits to Liberty for the last several winters.  Today was the first disappointing  visit we've had.

No corned beef, no pastrami, no pork belly today.  All fine since there are other good choices.

The mild wings were served in a puddle of sauce.  A pool.

There were ants on the table.  Not a single stray ant.  Several ants.  Every time I would kill one, another would appear...

The burger and pork loin were fine (although I was initially told that pork loin is a summer only item but the server was mistaken....)

And then, despite being listed on the menu and on the specials board, there was no gooey butter cake.  Which BL-3rd grader had been looking forward to for a year.  When I pointed out that it as still listed on the specials board as we left, our server said, "yes.  It can be misconstrued."  I don't know what that means but I think it is lazy to have a specials board and not to update it if you don't have something.  Especially when it is a white board and can be updated with a wet napkin.

Sigh...

• Like 2

So I had completely forgotten our issues from last time, aside from warning BL-4th grader that they don't always have the gooey butter cake.

No ants, indifferent service and still no pork belly.  There was corned beef but I wasn't in the mood.

The burger and pork loin are still good.  They did have the gooey butter cake and it is good.  

I'd skip it at this point but BL-4th grader was aghast when I suggested going snow tubing on Sunday when there wouldn't have been time before his rock climbing class to go to Chubby's.  My boy is a creature of habit.

Stopped here for lunch after hiking in Cunningham Falls Park. 

My quick takeaway...keep to the pork and the sides, and you'll have a really good meal here. 

Delicious cup of cream of crab soup to start with. Reminded me of a thicker version of Ray's crab bisque, which is a pretty high compliment. 

The pulled pork and ribs were both excellent...nice bark, juicy and smokey. 

Liked all the sides we got, but the collard greens were a standout...really good kick of vinegar and heat, and full of tasty pork morsels. 

The brisket was a little dry, and sliced too thin for my taste. Pretty good flavor, and better after we added some sauce. 

The smoked pit beef was our least favorite. Not much flavor, and really fatty and hard to eat. 

I'd certainly go back next time we're around...the soup, sides, and pork made for a really good meal. 

• Like 1