Chubby's Southern Style Barbecue, Emmitsburg, MD - Owner Tom Caulfield on the East Side of Route 15

I've been going to Gettysburg a fair amount the last month or two and every time I go by Chubby's I have one of those mental moments where I say to myself, "I really need to stop here one day". Maybe this weekend will be the day.

Trust me when I say to get the $11.99 smoked (then grilled) pork belly (when's the last time you've seen smoked pork belly?) platter with two sides, and make those sides the potatoes (not french fries, but potatoes), and beans (with pulled pork in them).

I'd be interested to know where Porcupine usually goes for BBQ to have a better perspective.

Around here? I don't, because I haven't found any that was worth going back for.

And five years later, an answer to laststsandchili's question: B'z in Paeonian Springs. Andy Nelson's in Cockeysville and Carter Que in Mount Airy I will go to when nearby, but only B'z is worth a special trip.

I'm heading north on US15 in a few weeks. Guess I'll be stopping by Chubby's to try it again. Despite previous "tough" words, I hold no agenda nor ill will. I just want to eat some good bbq, y'know?

And so I went, with MrP, as we headed north for a vacation.

There's just something about barbeque. People love what they love, and they argue to death about it, just like with chili and what makes the best Philly cheesesteak or Chicago-style hotdog. But it's even more complicated with bbq, because you can go back to the same joint a week or month later, order the same damn thing, and have a completely different experience.

Why is that? Is it ingredient sourcing? Something about the techniques? Does the inherent informality affect consistency and quality control?

Some friends I really trust - world travelers who've eaten it all, from high to low (not forum members) recommended Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse, where we ate a few days later. I thought it was mediocre.

What is it about barbeque? One person's "fall-off-the-bone tender" is another's "mushy". One person's "nice chewiness" is the next guy's "too tough to eat." Once I had great ribs at KBQ. A month later (same time of day, same day of week), I couldn't believe I was eating the same dish, because they were awful.

Previously I thought the pulled pork at Chubby's was excellent. This time, I took a bite from MrP's plate, then asked how he could eat it, it was mushy, yuck.

He raised an eyebrow. "Really? Try another piece - this one" and he pushes a large-ish end piece towards me. And it was great! Mild pork flavor, not overwhelmed with smoke, a nice chewy texture, browned on the exterior. So then I took another bite, and it was mushy.

I don't know how to describe objectively what I was eating.

I would have sampled more but MrP was getting annoyed with me, so I went back to my brisket. How was that, you ask? I can't give a fair, honest opinion. Brisket isn't my favorite; I ordered it hoping for a revelation (which didn't happen), and because MrP had already ordered the pork. So I mean nothing negative by writing "no comment". It may have been God's gift to beef lovers, but I wouldn't know.

It's a nice touch to have a variety of sauces available right there on each table. I squirted a few samples on my plate and enjoyed them all. Like others have posted, I think bbq is best when the meat can be appreciated as is, until you decide for yourself how to sauce it.

I really enjoyed the collard greens, which had just a little vinegar bite. The mac and cheese had a better flavor than I remembered and previously described, but the macaroni was way overcooked for my taste. Not that I'm expecting perfectly al dente pasta, of course, but I like a bit of chew there.

The fries were rather limp and oily. The beans were delicious.

So there it is. I've given the place another try, kept an open mind, written as objectively as I can about an inherently subjective, uh, subject, and my conclusion is that Chubby's is inconsistent.

As is barbeque.

I hope someone finds this useful or enlightening.

I think what porcupine is getting at is something that I talked about in the Johnny's thread (that's the rib place in La Plata, right?). I think it's actually really hard to hold BBQ for service, especially brisket and chopped pork. I'm sure, were Harold McGee a member, he could give just the right balance of collagen, gelatin, moisture retention, and muscle fiber twist in his explanation.

I will note that my favorite NC shacks essentially chop to order. That might cut down on the mush factor (from exuded moisture reabsorbed, or somesuch).

Or I could be completely wrong. If so, you owe me a beer.

Both times I've stopped at Chubby's, the BBQ has been excellent. However, that may be because both times we stopped, it was right after they opened. I do know that the couple from Ontario that we took the last time there were complaining that they didn't have any way to take the (copious) left-overs home with them.

I had an all-day meeting in Gettysburg yesterday, and was delighted to have a chance to finally try Chubby's. I picked up a combo platter with pulled pork and brisket, accompanied by collard greens, potato salad, and a couple of ginger beers. The 'cue survived the drive home in ok shape. We liked the pork better than the beef, but both were solid. Potato salad had good flavor but was way overdressed. Collards were very good. I'll second the folks who noted that it's expensive; combo platter, two extra sides, and three sodas cost me over $50.

It's nice enough. Friendly service, nice atmosphere, and freshly prepared food. The food is tasty enough and it's definitely one of the better places in the area. Though I might be biased because they serve fried margarine-and-hot sauce wings, which can be difficult to find nowadays.

Hmmm, from Frederick, it's not that far to Chubby's.

Hmmm, from Frederick, it's not that far to Chubby's.

And of course, the opposite is true - from Chubby's, it isn't that far to Frederick. I wonder if the Chubby's owner has considered a downtown Frederick outpost? Maybe just highlights from the menu, a takeout/counter service place? Frederick is downright bustling.

The point I'm making is that there are 1000 reasons to go to Frederick and maybe also stop for some BBQ. There isn't much reason to head Chubby's way, except of course Chubby's. So while Chubby's isn't that far away, if the goal is to spend the day shopping for antiques, going to a baseball game or doing other things in Frederick, Chubby's doesn't really fit in. Black Hog, OTOH, is right there.

Side note - If I owned the place, maybe I'd evolve my name to BH's BBQ or something like that. That, or keep asking for a Panda sandwich to go at Panda Express.

And of course, the opposite is true - from Chubby's, it isn't that far to Frederick. I wonder if the Chubby's owner has considered a downtown Frederick outpost? Maybe just highlights from the menu, a takeout/counter service place? Frederick is downright bustling.

The point I'm making is that there are 1000 reasons to go to Frederick and maybe also stop for some BBQ. There isn't much reason to head Chubby's way, except of course Chubby's. So while Chubby's isn't that far away, if the goal is to spend the day shopping for antiques, going to a baseball game or doing other things in Frederick, Chubby's doesn't really fit in. Black Hog, OTOH, is right there.

Side note - If I owned the place, maybe I'd evolve my name to BH's BBQ or something like that. That, or keep asking for a Panda sandwich to go at Panda Express.

I'm not familiar with Chubby's. Is it the one that Google maps tells me to be 25 miles from Black Hog?

I'm not familiar with Chubby's. Is it the one that Google maps tells me to be 25 miles from Black Hog?

yes. I have nothing against Chubby's - I think the owner Tom posts here and I've heard it is great. I'm just not sure that most would be able to simply go to Chubby's vs Black Hog without some planning or unless they were on a nothern trek to begin with.

Yup, looks to be the same. Well, good to know if I'm stuck in Hagerstown for some reason. Somehoe I doubt Chubby's serves hot sauce and margarine fried wings, however.

It is actually farther from the center of Hagerstown than from Black Hog in Frederick. But to get from Hagerstown to Chubbys, you'd drive through Chewsville, MD. And there's something to be said for that :)

The point I'm making is that there are 1000 reasons to go to Frederick and maybe also stop for some BBQ. There isn't much reason to head Chubby's way, except of course Chubby's. So while Chubby's isn't that far away, if the goal is to spend the day shopping for antiques, going to a baseball game or doing other things in Frederick, Chubby's doesn't really fit in.

But perhaps the goal is to spend the day shopping, etc., in Gettysburg. They don't have a minor league ballclub, but they've got a big old battlefield and an outlet mall! And Chubby's isn't much more than a stone's throw.

But perhaps the goal is to spend the day shopping, etc., in Gettysburg. They don't have a minor league ballclub, but they've got a big old battlefield and an outlet mall! And Chubby's isn't much more than a stone's throw.

Indeed. And even Emmitsburg does have some stuff going for it - the shrine, skiing, the multi-vendor antiques place.

My big plan for the early summer - stop at Chubby's for dinner, then head up to Haar's on rte 15 for some drive-in movie double-feature action. They're only another 40 minutes up the road in Dillsburg.

Indeed. And even Emmitsburg does have some stuff going for it - the shrine, skiing, the multi-vendor antiques place.

My big plan for the early summer - stop at Chubby's for dinner, then head up to Haar's on rte 15 for some drive-in movie double-feature action. They're only another 40 minutes up the road in Dillsburg.

Don't forget Cunningham Falls State Park with somewhat nasty camper cabins for rent. I did this exact trip (including the shrine (a lovely stroll) and Chubby's) last year and really enjoyed the whole getaway.

Don't forget Cunningham Falls State Park with somewhat nasty camper cabins for rent. I did this exact trip (including the shrine (a lovely stroll) and Chubby's) last year and really enjoyed the whole getaway.

Don't forget the nearby (petting) zoo / wildlife preserve / roadside attraction. My wife and I stopped in many years ago and were petting a small herd of donkey-like animals, mostly one in particular. Nice enough fellow and he didn't move away from us. Then he pivoted and we saw he was missing a leg on the other side of his body. Now, we're not prejudiced against three-legged donkeys, but the move caught us so off guard (we'd been standing next to him for a few minutes) and was so 'in our face' that we gasped and high-tailed it out of there for the safety of our car.

So to summarize and continue to post about a restaurant I have yet to enjoy, Chubby's has lots of things around it to enjoy:

- Ice skiing

- Three legged donkey touching

- an operating drive in movie theater (up the road)

- a real-life shrine to a real-life saint

- college coeds

- antiques

These are things not often found around the beltway, at least not together.

Now I've stopped and partaken on the Chubby's and can directly sing the praises.

Others have given the smoke ring thesis- so I'll mention the other interesting highlights:

1. A German Slant: yes, didn't expect this. A BBQ sauce with mustard, tomato and vinegar; plus a side of sauerkraut and pork - it felt as German as my German father ever made. I only wish he was still around to fathom it.

2. Buttermilk fried chicken that tasted like fried chicken, not the franken-chicken the chains serve. Daughter loved it!

3. He-man portions. My wife and I split the ribs/brisket/pork platter at 22.95 and had enough left over for a third meal.

Great stuff, look forward to the next stop,

Not having read this thread, we stopped at Chubby's over the weekend b/c I vaguely recalled receiving a recommendation for the BBQ. I think DanielK or Scott Johnston suggested it to me on Facebook the last time I found myself looking for food on my way back from the Finger Lakes - a trip I make regularly to visit family.

Overall we were pleased with our meal here. Coincidentally, we ordered as Don did last June and had the smoked and grilled pork belly. It was definitely better on rolls than straight. We really enjoyed it. The four sauces that were provided on the table were all excellent.

We do have one gripe, though. We ordered ice water with our meal but were told by the sweet waitress that she was unable to serve us ice water. We could either buy bottled water or she could bring us cups of ice. Apparently the "owner's policy" is not to serve ice water. Huh!? I have never experienced this before, though recently Mancini's in Alexandria informed me of a 15 cent charge for a cup for ice water. Fair enough. I can only think this is a financially motivated decision, or maybe the owner is so concerned about the quality of the water that he is looking out for us!?!

I am not a business owner and I don't want to get into a whole debate about this, but it really left us with a bad taste in our mouths (pun intended). So we ordered the bottled water, which was actually an unknown brand of filtered water. It probably cost the restaurant pennies, but they charged us $2 or $3 a piece. With this kind of nickel and diming, I am a little less likely to return.

Anyhow, the food was good, but the experience doesn't have us rushing back.

I never want water at a restaurant, so I never ask for it, and often ask not to be given any--so this isn't ever an issue for me. But I think you should cut Chubby's a little slack. They serve up some really tasty food at very reasonable prices and with very friendly attitude. But they don't provide the beverage you want for free, and that's a deal-breaker?

But they don't provide the beverage you want for free, and that's a deal-breaker?

That's a bit harsh, Hersch. It's not like she was asking for a lemonade or a soda. And a free glass of tap water isn't exactly foreign to the industry. And to couple the refusal with the offer of bottled water at a couple of bucks apiece? Sounds tantamount to profiteering.

lol @ this thread being on the DC board but the bbq house in laurel is on the Baltimore board. We should have a York PA board and move this there. Or maybe Frederick should have its own board? Frederick is actually farther from DC than Baltimore is.

/themoreyouknow*

lol @ this thread being on the DC board but the bbq house in laurel is on the Baltimore board. We should have a York PA board and move this there. Or maybe Frederick should have its own board? Frederick is actually farther from DC than Baltimore is.

/themoreyouknow*

[Right, well I decided to put all of Howard County in Baltimore, and all of Frederick County in DC (mainly because the Baltimore forum extends down to Annapolis, it's a DC-centric board, and I-270 is a direct link to Frederick). But yes, this case in isolation is a bit absurd because Chubby's is far into Frederick County, and BBQ House is a stone's throw from Prince George's County. The two forums are split up according to county lines all the way around. I'd be happy to move Frederick County to the Baltimore forum if we could get some more participation - but anyway, that's the formula behind it.]

I lived in Frederick for a while, and it's more of a suburb of DC than Baltimore. Though, truthfully, it's neither. Chubby's is not even remotely in Frederick. But, as between the two threads, it's in the right place. People from B'more only head west if B'more is on fire. But I've driven past Chubby's maybe 10 times in the last 3 years, and like getting updates. I've always really liked Chubby's.

ETA: Annapolis should be in DC too. When people on this board go there, which is quite frequently, we aren't thinking of B'more.

I lived in Frederick for a while, and it's more of a suburb of DC than Baltimore. Though, truthfully, it's neither. Chubby's is not even remotely in Frederick. But, as between the two threads, it's in the right place. People from B'more only head west if B'more is on fire. But I've driven past Chubby's maybe 10 times in the last 3 years, and like getting updates. I've always really liked Chubby's.

ETA: Annapolis should be in DC too. When people on this board go there, which is quite frequently, we aren't thinking of B'more.

fwiw my ire isn't at emmitsburg being on the DC board. I do find it amusing that Frederick is DC though (not particularly germane here as e-burg is a zillion miles past frederick into the hinterlands so this isn't the place, other than they are both BBQ places and one is 50 miles closer to DC than the other). My problem is the marginalization of businesses that are in areas that identify far more with DC than with Baltimore. I'd venture that 90 percent of BBQ house's customers are from PG county--it's literally a stone's throw from the county line and far nearer to Laurel than to any identifiable HoCo town. That goes for all of the newish stuff out in Fulton too, sitting on 29 in commuter neighborhoods that are far more DC than Bmore. Alas, I've said my piece, and been rejected; I'll live.

fwiw my ire isn't at emmitsburg being on the DC board. I do find it amusing that Frederick is DC though (not particularly germane here as e-burg is a zillion miles past frederick into the hinterlands so this isn't the place, other than they are both BBQ places and one is 50 miles closer to DC than the other). My problem is the marginalization of businesses that are in areas that identify far more with DC than with Baltimore. I'd venture that 90 percent of BBQ house's customers are from PG county--it's literally a stone's throw from the county line and far nearer to Laurel than to any identifiable HoCo town. That goes for all of the newish stuff out in Fulton too, sitting on 29 in commuter neighborhoods that are far more DC than Bmore. Alas, I've said my piece, and been rejected; I'll live.

And yet, it's adjacent to Baltimore County. This was my rationale. Howard County (Columbia) has traditionally thought of themselves as Baltimore, not Washington. This is my father's sister. I grew up in Ellicott City (before there was such a thing as "Columbia") every weekend, spending many a weekend day sprinting down the hall of the Howard County Department of Education, pushing an office chair with wheels, and jumping on it and riding it down the hallway. These people thought of themselves as being from Baltimore, not DC. This was engrained in me from elementary school, but I'm willing to change my mind.

And yet, it's adjacent to Baltimore County. This was my rationale. Howard County (Columbia) has traditionally thought of themselves as Baltimore, not Washington. This is my father's sister. I grew up in Ellicott City (before there was such a thing as "Columbia") every weekend, spending many a weekend day sprinting down the hall of the Howard County Department of Education, pushing an office chair with wheels, and jumping on it and riding it down the hallway. These people thought of themselves as being from Baltimore, not DC. This was engrained in me from elementary school, but I'm willing to change my mind.

I like it the way it is, for the same reasons you give. Plus, cities are less about specific circumference and more about arteries...and Chubby's is on an artery that connects down to DC, while Howard Co's arteries connect (by and large) to the Baltimore system. Not saying you can't get there from here...or that it is a precise science...but it is how this Marylander thinks. By way of example, my sister believed (until she was an adult) that on the way to the Jersey Shore, we passed through 4 states: Maryland, Baltimore, Delaware, New Jersey.

BTW, nice (albeing short) writeup on your Aunt. I come from a very large family but I'm not sure any of them can say they are in a Hall of Fame of any kind. I can say, however, that my Grandfather was one of the two cameramen that filmed this video that (I suspect) some of you may have seen before.

I would argue that Columbia, at this point, is a suburb of DC more so than Baltimore. Certainly anything south of Columbia (North Laurel, Fulton) are. The "new stuff" on 29, combined with turning most of 29 into exits rather than lights from there south, is an attempt to build a suburb with easy access to DC via a new superhighway version of 29. And the ICC runs through there too, certainly that's not there to improve the commute to Baltimore.

I like it the way it is, for the same reasons you give. Plus, cities are less about specific circumference and more about arteries...and Chubby's is on an artery that connects down to DC, while Howard Co's arteries connect (by and large) to the Baltimore system. Not saying you can't get there from here...or that it is a precise science...but it is how this Marylander thinks.

Huh? Arteries are by definition roads that get you from one place to another. Arguing that restaurants located on the arteries that get you from Baltimore to DC and vice versa belong in the Baltimore forum while arteries that connect PA (nowhere?) and DC belong in the DC forum makes no sense. When's the last time you heard a rush hour traffic report for Route 15 btw? And I live in MD for the record.

Anyway, I didn't come in here to discuss what belongs where, I'm headed to Gettysburg for an annual trip on Friday and am considering taking the day off, doing some hiking with the dogs in the AM and then, assuming I can find a shady spot to leave them in the car, having lunch at Chubby's. Wanted to see if there were any updated reviews or recommendations? As it stands, I'm thinking 2 meat platter with pulled pork and brisket sounds promising.

Huh? Arteries are by definition roads that get you from one place to another. Arguing that restaurants located on the arteries that get you from Baltimore to DC and vice versa belong in the Baltimore forum while arteries that connect PA (nowhere?) and DC belong in the DC forum makes no sense. When's the last time you heard a rush hour traffic report for Route 15 btw? And I live in MD for the record.

Wow, can't believe it's GiG time already! I think jayandstacey was asking Don his rationale, rather than "arguing," or responding to him upthread, which might not make sense otherwise...keep calm and greyhound on, right?

Anyway, I didn't come in here to discuss what belongs where, I'm headed to Gettysburg for an annual trip on Friday and am considering taking the day off, doing some hiking with the dogs in the AM and then, assuming I can find a shady spot to leave them in the car, having lunch at Chubby's. Wanted to see if there were any updated reviews or recommendations? As it stands, I'm thinking 2 meat platter with pulled pork and brisket sounds promising.

Get the smoked pork belly - it's the best thing I've ever had at Chubby's.

• Like 1

assuming I can find a shady spot to leave them in the car, having lunch at Chubby's.

There is utterly no shade to be had in Chubby's parking lot, but I imagine you can find room under some trees not too far off. The brisket, the pulled pork, the pork belly--you won't go wrong with any of those.

We agree to disagree on this point. I hope you enjoy the stop; maybe you can head down the sideroad to find some trees

Then, as I was almost finished, the door from the street opened and, behind a fully loaded push cart heading to the back, was the Sysco guy. Three trollies came in loaded with boxes; some had canned or jarred or boxed proteins and produce. They seem to be set up on a twice weekly delivery schedule.

So, I'm not sure what I'll do next time. Of course true that many places buy from Sysco and not everything Sysco sells is bad. Also of course true that many spots use the big food distribution companies because they're cost effective. It's very hard to maintain positive cash flow in this business as we all know. Further, I'd guess that many (most? all?) BBQ joints use some corn syrup and pre-made sides and the like. Maybe it's not realistic to expect a BBQ place to be making its sauces, sides and other menu items from scratch?

This is another transparency thing. I don't know of any BBQ places that promote their sources like Dean at Dino does. I wish they would. I wish all restaurants would. I asked who owned the place and was told it was a "guy who loves BBQ." So not sure about the background or philosophy around food, ingredients, etc.

All I know is I did enjoy the half rack. And I was bummed when those hand trucks came rolling in. Sigh....what to do.

We make everything from scratch here, no corn syrup, make all our sauces, sides, here. My Hickory and White Oak come off my property. As far as buying from local sources, impossible to find someone who raises enough Hogs or Beef for Brisket, Ribs, Pork Butt, Pork Belly, etc, to keep us supplied. I would close my doors before using SYSCO, their product is shit.

We make everything from scratch here, no corn syrup, make all our sauces, sides, here. My Hickory and White Oak come off my property. As far as buying from local sources, impossible to find someone who raises enough Hogs or Beef for Brisket, Ribs, Pork Butt, Pork Belly, etc, to keep us supplied. I would close my doors before using SYSCO, their product is shit.

Thanks for this, Tom. When I first saw your post I thought you were from the place about which I'd written (your handle is similar to their name). If okay to ask, since you raised the local sourcing/SYSCO aversion point, where do you get your meats from? Maybe a meat-specific wholesaler? Can totally understand the challenge of trying to source from small, local producers with high volume needs.

I really need to get up your way soon to try out your 'Q. Sounds pretty awesome.

Thanks for this, Tom. When I first saw your post I thought you were from the place about which I'd written (your handle is similar to their name). If okay to ask, since you raised the local sourcing/SYSCO aversion point, where do you get your meats from? Maybe a meat-specific wholesaler? Can totally understand the challenge of trying to source from small, local producers with high volume needs.

I really need to get up your way soon to try out your 'Q. Sounds pretty awesome.

Either Food Pro in Frederick or PFG Foods out of Westminister Md. Both VERY good, dependable, high quality Meats and Dry goods. James Avery Clark for Produce, small byt top of the line Company!

When the weather gets warmer, come on up, call Rocks, he makes the trek, from time to time!

Time for my annual trip to Gettysburg again. I didn't plan to stop at Chubby's this time, but found myself on the way home and starving so I stopped in. Customer service was not at all what it was on my first visit, but the food was better than I remembered. I ordered a half rack of baby back ribs, but they were out so I opted for the pork belly sandwich sans bread (smaller portion than the 1/2 lb platter and I didn't want to eat too much) and a side of coleslaw. Both were delicious. I remember liking different sauces with different meats last time - the volcano is my favorite overall, but I really liked the sauce with the funny name on the smoked belly (sorry, terrible description, but it was a more yellow sauce if that helps?).

Time for my annual trip to Gettysburg again. I didn't plan to stop at Chubby's this time, but found myself on the way home and starving so I stopped in. Customer service was not at all what it was on my first visit, but the food was better than I remembered. I ordered a half rack of baby back ribs, but they were out so I opted for the pork belly sandwich sans bread (smaller portion than the 1/2 lb platter and I didn't want to eat too much) and a side of coleslaw. Both were delicious. I remember liking different sauces with different meats last time - the volcano is my favorite overall, but I really liked the sauce with the funny name on the smoked belly (sorry, terrible description, but it was a more yellow sauce if that helps?).

Sorry about the Ribs, takes about 3 1/2 hrs. to smoke them properly, we got crushed Friday night, ran out , soooo no ribs till around 1:00 pm. I buy 3 and up Baby Backs, as meaty as it gets. The sauce you liked is named PFFCHRCCT Sauce, no vowels in the name, so it's just a mouth noise, my ridiculous sense of humor. Sorry about the service, we pride ourselves on great service, one waitress called off, but that's no excuse. Next time in say hi to me, I'm the old fart at the computer, usually!

Sorry about the Ribs, takes about 3 1/2 hrs. to smoke them properly, we got crushed Friday night, ran out , soooo no ribs till around 1:00 pm. I buy 3 and up Baby Backs, as meaty as it gets. The sauce you liked is named PFFCHRCCT Sauce, no vowels in the name, so it's just a mouth noise, my ridiculous sense of humor. Sorry about the service, we pride ourselves on great service, one waitress called off, but that's no excuse. Next time in say hi to me, I'm the old fart at the computer, usually!

No need to apologize about the ribs, I understand stuff happens. :) And thanks for the name of the sauce!

The service issues weren't that big of a deal, but last time I remember service being very friendly (the woman who waited on me was also more than willing to help me navigate the menu since it was my first visit) and timely. This time the girls in the front seemed more concerned with eating and chatting with each other than paying attention to a customer waiting. I also didn't realize there was a specials board (which would have let me know some additional options when I found out the ribs were sold out) until I was walking out and heard a staff member ask a customer if he wanted to hear them.

I will say hi next time. Probably in a year. ;)

We stopped in last night on our way home from Vermont and the Catskills. The food was much better than the first time I was there--the pulled pork sandwich was juicy and nicely smoked--the previous time we were there the pork had no smoke flavor at all, but I'm glad we gave Chubby's another chance. The first delivery to the table, the meat was barely at room temperature, so I sent it back. Got it back hot a few minutes later, so I suspect it might have been microwaved, but still good, and a very abundant serving. The slaw was a bit sweeter than I like it, but it is "Southern-style" after all. J had a half-rack of baby backs and enjoyed them a lot--very meaty. And the beans were outstanding. The service was friendly and attentive this visit, unlike our previous visit when we were ignored and upcharged for sides without being warned. Those bathrooms, though. Yikes.

We stopped in last night on our way home from Vermont and the Catskills. The food was much better than the first time I was there--the pulled pork sandwich was juicy and nicely smoked--the previous time we were there the pork had no smoke flavor at all, but I'm glad we gave Chubby's another chance. The first delivery to the table, the meat was barely at room temperature, so I sent it back. Got it back hot a few minutes later, so I suspect it might have been microwaved, but still good, and a very abundant serving. The slaw was a bit sweeter than I like it, but it is "Southern-style" after all. J had a half-rack of baby backs and enjoyed them a lot--very meaty. And the beans were outstanding. The service was friendly and attentive this visit, unlike our previous visit when we were ignored and upcharged for sides without being warned. Those bathrooms, though. Yikes.

Glad you stopped again, as far as microwave to reheat, no way on the pulled pork, what would have been done is hotter pork put in your sandwich, micro would kill the roll and dry the pork.

The bathrooms are a work in progress, replaced all stalls and Commodes about 4 years ago, they get cleaned twice a day but it only takes a few kids about 1 minute to screw them up. The Men's sink needs replacing due to the well water we are on that stains the sinks rusty, but they are scrubbed as best we can twice a day.

Say hello, next time in!

Tom

Although I may never find myself in Emmitsburg, I was pleased to see that Chubby's has a stand in the Navy-Marine Corps Stadium and it was open today for the Mid-Atlantic Marching Band Championship event.  We got a taste of the pulled pork and it was delicious.  It was simply prepared with the vinegar sauce (no tomato), which is just the way I like it.  They had some BBQ sauce they said they could mix in, but there was no reason to mess with this preparation.  We were on our way out and did not want to take sandwiches back to Virginia.  They graciously agreed to sell us a generous pile of pulled pork that we will enjoy later.  Nice.

• Like 1

For those of you who want to take a nice ride up this way, we now have a killer Pastrami. I'll put it head to head with any Pastrami I've had in New York and certainly DC. Not bragging, simply stating the facts. Mention dr.com and you get 25% off the Pastrami. 1/2 lb sandwich with either our twice fried homemade FF, cole slaw, potato salad or homemade potato chips, $10.99 before discount.

For those of you who want to take a nice ride up this way, we now have a killer Pastrami. I'll put it head to head with any Pastrami I've had in New York and certainly DC. Not bragging, simply stating the facts. Mention dr.com and you get 25% off the Pastrami. 1/2 lb sandwich with either our twice fried homemade FF, cole slaw, potato salad or homemade potato chips, $10.99 before discount.

Damn. Where was this in late September? We had a great meal, but pastrami would have really hit the spot. We'll be traveling with dogs the next time we pass by, so I don't think we'll be stopping in. Have you given any thought to a drive-through window?  :P

• Like 1