Circle Bistro Fall Blowout Dinner for dr.com

hillvalley

Really a lovely meal. Every course was a treat. We especially enjoyed the agnolotti and the halibut with fresh corn and crab polenta. My only 'plaint--more sauce on the shortrib, please!

Our tablemate John, a lurker at his first DR event, brought a small production Oregon pinot noir (?PriveĀ“sud) that he gets from a winery mailing list, that was especially good with the beet risotto. My wine closet yielded a 1995 Pomerol (La Croix du Casse) that was opened when we first arrived, but not decanted. It had a fairly funky nose when first poured, but within ten minutes or so in the glass, the funk had blown off and it turned into an excellent accompaniment to the short rib. Not quite as rich as I had expected, based on the review in Parker's Wine Buyer's Guide, but complex and satisfying nonetheless.

That is what struck me about this meal more than most of the tasting menus like this we've done over the years. Every course was really pleasant and aside from the tuna maybe needing a sprinkle of sea salt. Even the cheesecake was light and tangy.

When we saw the menu some at our table wondered if beets and goat cheese was becoming trite. Not this time - a classic pairing sure, but the beets were just an undertone and coloring agent the allowed the balsamic in therisotto to stand out even more.

As always - good times with good food and good people.

God damn it, I should kill you! This is so fucking good I should kill you!

-- Pascal, Big Night, 1996

III: Carnaroli Risotto of Organic Beets, Pipe Dreams Farms Goat Cheese

Waiting a minute after getting this dish for the cheese to melt really made a difference. I'm not usually a big beet fan, but this was fantastic.

To eat good food is to be close to God.

-- Primo, Big Night, 1996

IV: Roasted Wild Alaskan Halibut, Fresh Corn Polenta, Chesapeake Crab, Basil

To me, this was the highlight of the night. The halibut was perfectly cooked, and I loved the corn "polenta" with the crab. The addition of the basil rounded out this dish perfectly.

For those of you who were wondering (like me) what agnolotti del plin meant, I found this on the web:

The most refined agnolotti, called plin or agnolotti al plin, are those made by hand (the plin is the tool used to seal the pasta).