Cilantro

JLK

I make guacamole at home very frequently, but never enough to use up the whole bunch of cilantro I buy just to get the few sprigs I need.

What else is cilantro good for? I don't have the patience for drying it, I'm afraid, so it often gets trashed.

I make guacamole at home very frequently, but never enough to use up the whole bunch of cilantro I buy just to get the few sprigs I need.

What else is cilantro good for? I don't have the patience for drying it, I'm afraid, so it often gets trashed.

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/0017...antro_pesto.php

Cilantro pesto. Here's a recipe which says you can freeze it as well.

Would probably be nice on steak, lamb, chicken...

It's good in salsa.

I've clipped all the leaves off leftover cilantro then placed them on paper towels to air dry. Takes about a week depending on the humidity levels. Once they're dry, I put them in a jar with a good sealing lid. The flavor should stay fresh for several weeks and it saves you a trip to the market the next time you need just a pinch of cilantro.

1) Chopped fresh cilantro is a must-have table condiment IMO, when serving Mexican food. I always add cilantro to tacos, burritos, huevos rancheros, tostadas, etc.

2) Fresh chutney, with cilantro alone or cilantro and mint--grind in blender with onion, lime juice, spicy green chile, salt and a little bit of yogurt.

3) Asian-style cucumber salad: thinly sliced cucumbers, rice vinegar, soy, red chile flakes or chopped jalapenõ or serrano, and lots of cilantro.

4) Vietnamese-style salads with greens, cucumber, tomato and steak, shrimp or whatever protein you prefer, and cilantro. Make an oil/ rice vinegar-based dressing with a bit of fish sauce, sugar, soy sauce, lime juice to dress it with.

5) Green enchilada sauce: cook onion, garlic, tomatillos and green chile in chicken stock until the veg are soft. Puree in blender with fresh cilantro. Return to saucepan and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.

I like cilantro with chicken. Examples, chop and sprinkle onto chicken stew or chicken soup. Also, it's essential in my favorite chicken salad, which is made from chicken, mayonnaise, chopped celery or sliced water chestnuts, and sliced almonds, and cilantro!

Cilantro is very nice in chili, too.

I made a raw green sauce the other day out of parsley, chinese chives, coriander leaf (cilantro), capers, salt, and olive oil pureed in a mini-processor. I forget what I made it to go with (which sort of indicates that it will keep for several days), but last night it was really good on pan-seared skirt steak.

Ship it to L.A. Seriously, they put cilantro in EVERYTHING.

Jazz up your sour cream by putting a bunch of cilantro into a food processor and mix with the sour cream and some salt.

try making a compound butter with it, maybe adding some lime juice and zest. can be used on fish, steaks, fajitas, etc...

freezes well too.

Take one bunch of leftover cilantro & one bunch of Parsley, add white vinegar, cayenne pepper, olive oil, a clove of garlic and voila! you have an awesome chimichurri saurce on your hands, which you can freeze for further consumption. I love chimichurri on meat , chicken, spread on bread. Its excellent.

Right now, I just wish I had some cilantro (leftover or otherwise). I stopped by the Glover Park Whole Foods late this afternoon and they were out. There were a few of us asking for it and one apologetic staffer having to say "no cilantro today. try tomorrow."

I made guacamole this weekend and tried that pesto recipe posted earlier with the excess cilantro. Extremely tasty. I smeared it on some chicken panini's I made for dinner the next day and while making the sandwiches I ended up just dipping crackers into it. I didn't feel so bad cleaning out a whole bowl though because that recipe is also much healthier than traditional pesto due to the almond/pine nut exchange I think.

Larb, Laab, Larp. I just added some cilantro to my mediocre delivery larb (time to make in on my own again) and a better dish was born.

(BTW, the eG thread on Larb is one of the greatest threads of all time on a food board. It's about 5 1/2 years old. My favorite recipe, which snowangel discusses, is a breeze to make.)

Cilantro makes everything better. And I concur on that eG larb thread. One of the best ever, thanks be to larb. :lol: