Real Tennis - The Sport of Kings, Only Eleven Courts In The United States

Al Dente

I've played this crazy game, and believe it or not, my club has one of only eleven sanctioned courts in the United States. It is one of the more bizarre sports you'll ever see.

Needless to say, Neither Rafael Nadal nor any of these guys we're discussing would be world champion - hell, they wouldn't be club champion, at least not without many years of practice. Someone like McEnroe or Federer would have an ideal body type and style for this sport.

As you might imagine, the best players at the club mainly converted from "standard" tennis, and have a deep, abiding respect for the game. Marty Hublitz was, I believe, national champion at one point, but there are others there who are nearly as good or better. As with many minor sports, there are so few players that it's relatively easy to be nationally ranked.

Real Tennis

I've played this crazy game, and believe it or not, my club has one of only eleven sanctioned courts in the United States. It is one of the more bizarre sports you'll ever see.

Needless to say, Neither Rafael Nadal nor any of these guys we're discussing would not be world champion - hell, they wouldn't be club champion, at least not without many years of practice.

I saw this played many years ago at NY's Racquet & Tennis Club and even went down onto a court to look around. Too crazy...even for me.

I saw this played many years ago at NY's Racquet & Tennis Club and even went down onto a court to look around. Too crazy...even for me.

I can't believe that this is a topic! This is very weird sport. I've given it a try an the R&TC, but now just stick to playing squash there.