PX, A Speakeasy Writ Large - Todd Thrasher's Artisan Cocktails, By The Owners Of Restaurant Eve - Closed Jul 27, 2019

Going to PX felt like going to a friend of a friend’s place for a low key, upscale get together

Exactly. Like a cocktail party. And unlike the common lounge, the place is virtually tool free. Mmmm, those frothy sweet, Thashery spirits. All I can say is I'm one Hawaiian Punch from diabetes. :)

Aack! My thoughts exactly!

I knew I should have put PX higher up on the To Do List. I guess I'll wait and check out the winter cocktails in a few months (hopefully something buttery and rummy...mmm.)

They were packed last night from the moment they opened, but we got in on our second attempt after an hour (which we spent at an also packed Eve bar, as was young Eamonn's downstairs). It was worth the wait. Seriously, what a lovely spot for a couple of cocktails. The sparking wine based mojito was particularly fun.

Some of us moved on to PX afterward and it too was as capacity. So much so that when I arrived slightly after the rest of the party, "the eyes" weren't going to let me in. Even my PX card didn't work. Finally I broke down and told the eyes I was "like that" (gesturing by crossing my fingers) with Don Rockwell. The eyes got wide, then squinted askance, but the door eventually swung opened to admit me.

I was there too, apparently after you. They truly were at capacity - I saw them turn a party of four people away because they had no place to put them. Honestly folks, the dr.com card should not be played here - when they say they're full, they really mean it. So I'm hereby giving the folks at PX my blessing to deny entry to any nefarious rogues such as you, crack-o, who mention dr.com in the future! No exceptions!

(unless it's me)

The last thing I remember, I was in a shouting match with Todd Thrasher over his lousy pickle martini at 2:30 AM.

Finally, the denizens here at dr.com will be pleased to know that I'm never drinking again.

So I'm hereby giving the folks at PX my blessing to deny entry to any nefarious rogues such as you, crack-o, who mention dr.com in the future! No exceptions!

(unless it's me)

Finally, the denizens here at dr.com will be pleased to know that I'm never drinking again.

For those who may be too thick to figure it out ....I was kidding. Dustin was expecting me. [as if mentioning your name would get me anywhere, other than thrown out Don-o] geesh.

Never drinking again? Hmmm...we've never heard that from you before...

Well, now that the secret's out, I might as well spill my two cents. I had my bachelorette party here in early October, and a fantastic night was had by all. We reserved the back room, overlooking King Street, and sat in serenity, listening to good music and drinking excellent beverages. My friends specifically commented on how nice it was to be in a space for a party where you could either talk across the room or just to the person next to you -- definitely a classy space!

I had several drinks, of course!, and the surprise hit of the night was the Grog. It was very, very good -- and as an aside, Mr. T says that he's going to prepare a hot version for the winter months! Excellent. I also had the champagne cocktail, which was delicious and almost tempted me to have another instead of ordering a variety of drinks, but I fended off this impulse to have the sparkling mojito. On other occassions, I have also had the mule, which is one of my favorites, if for no other reason than the copper cup!

We've had a very pleasant experience each of the too few times I've visited. I've been turned away once but took no umbrage, as that's to be expected!

Go. Drink. Enjoy.

Question: I was thinking of stopping for a single exquisite cocktail this afternoon after work. My "office", as it were, is just a few blocks from the PX, and I haven't been yet. I'm dressed in my usual professional attire of jeans and a black t-shirt.

Would I be allowed in? Especially if I went by early?

Question: I was thinking of stopping for a single exquisite cocktail this afternoon after work. My "office", as it were, is just a few blocks from the PX, and I haven't been yet. I'm dressed in my usual professional attire of jeans and a black t-shirt.

No, you will not be allowed in. Not because of how you are dressed, but because they are closed on Tuesdays.

Despite the fact that it's only open Wed - Sat, my understanding is that you would not be let in if you were wearing jeans and a t-shirt, either together or separately. I think men have to be wearing a jacket and look somewhat snazzy - and jeans are a no (unless they're black jeans? I don't really know). Could be wrong, but that was my impression. Also, sneakers are out... Just trying to help, wouldn't want you to show up there all excited for a drink and be turned away due to your attire!

I'm heading to PX in the near future, and while I'm hoping getting in won't be a problem, one never knows. So, I want to have a back-up plan in place. I'm not familiar with Old Town, so I'm wondering if anyone could give me a rec for another bar within walking distance in case PX doesn't work out. I know Restaurant Eve's bar is not very far away and I'd love to go there, but I'll be with a small group and we're looking for more of a bar/hangout than restaurant bar.

Thanks all!

I'm heading to PX in the near future, and while I'm hoping getting in won't be a problem, one never knows. So, I want to have a back-up plan in place.

Thanks all!

To be sure to get into PX, I would suggest calling downstairs to Eamonn's to make a reservation.

For a back-up, you could try the Majestic or the wine bar at A La Lucia!

Thanks for the back-up plan Recs. Luckily, I didn't need them.

Tried a couple new drinks - the Big O, and the Eamonn's Cocktail - IMHO, neither is as good as the incredible Grog. I could drink that all night long (and day by the pool!) :P Big O (I think thats what it's called) had a very fresh citrus taste, but was ultimately too strong and too bitter for me. As for the Irish, I didn't like the taste of the Yuzu Air, nor the drink itself - also bitter, and maybe it's because I thought it tasted like Gin, and I don't like Gin. Just my palate's experience, not trying to knock the drinks. And no, I didn't say anything at the time. I'll stick with the Grog for now on - or maybe an Irish Flip.

We sat in the Blue Room, and overall I didnt like it as much as my experience in the front room - the blue room is pretty dark, and with a small group (4) and no one else in there, it was kind of cavernous and dampened the mood a touch, as opposed to being more intimate, which I thought it would be. Also, in the blue room, because you're out of eye sight from the waitress and the bartender, the waitress definitely came in a bunch of times to check on only the 4 of us - and we were pretty much just set on nursing our drinks, so it was a little awkward as we continually told her we didn't want anything yet. I think the Blue Room is probably better with a large group, or with other people in there. Next time I'll aim for the lighter and more lively front room or bar area. More fun to see the mixmasters at work.

p.s. Please don't harangue me for this post as I'm just trying to give my experience at PX which while wasn't as awesome as my first time, I'm in no way trying to bash the place or the drinks or the waitress or anything - Just relaying my experience and maybe providing a tip or too to potential PX-goers. I hope this won't be taken as threatening PX's livelihood. I will most definitely be back again, and again - I really like PX.

p.p.s. Hmph, kind of sad that I felt the need to write a disclaimer such as above, hopefully it will prove unneccesary...

The Bitter Gin Fizz, made with "orange stuff", is a fantastic beverage!

Crisp, refreshing - a drink that treats your gin with respect.

Having sat briefly in the Blue Room, at the Bar, and in the Front Room (expect no less from a celebratory night out with MBK and Lackadaisi!) one thing is clear to me - the drinks are amazing no matter where your seat is located!

Jlock, cocktail enthusiast

I'm confused. I thought the blue room and the front room were the same thing, the room that overlooks the intersection of King and Columbus.

My understanding is that the back room is the "Blue Room" and that the room overlooking Columbus is the "Front Room".

But it was dark, there was a lot of gin....who knows??!?

Folks, this ain't the palace of Versailles.

There are two rooms. One has a bar in it. One doesn't. :P

Certainly not Versailles, but there are three rooms: One to the left as you enter, one with a bar, and a bigger one that you have to cross through the bar room to get to. Jlock and I spent a little time in each last week. Maybe tonight we won't feel the need to be so mobile.

Edited because I have no idea what the name of each room is.

Certainly not Versailles, but there are three rooms: One to the left as you enter, one with a bar, and a bigger one that you have to cross through the bar room to get to. Jlock and I spent a little time in each last week. Maybe tonight we won't feel the need to be so mobile.

Edited because I have no idea what the name of each room is.

The first room on the left is sometimes known as the champagne room (with the purple couches), then there is the main room with the bar, then the corner room with the bench-style couches is known as the "blue room."

The first room on the left is sometimes known as the champagne room (with the purple couches), then there is the main room with the bar, then the corner room with the bench-style couches is known as the "blue room."

A research trip is in order! :P

Woops so sorry to confuse - When I referred to the front room, I meant the room that is directly to your left the moment you walk up the stairs. That, to me, is the front as it was where we entered the establishment. The Blue Room also can be called the front I suppose, if you consider the entrance the back. And there certainly are 3 spaces in which to sit, and I think 4 really (or 3.5)- the 'front' room with the purple couches directly to your left when you walk in, the actual Bar, the bar area to the right of the bar if you are facing it, and then the Blue Room, in the back. I look forward to hearing reports from your research!

Woops so sorry to confuse - When I referred to the front room, I meant the room that is directly to your left the moment you walk up the stairs. That, to me, is the front as it was where we entered the establishment. The Blue Room also can be called the front I suppose, if you consider the entrance the back. And there certainly are 3 spaces in which to sit, and I think 4 really (or 3.5)- the 'front' room with the purple couches directly to your left when you walk in, the actual Bar, the bar area to the right of the bar if you are facing it, and then the Blue Room, in the back. I look forward to hearing reports from your research!
What you call the front room I call the back room.

This is making me woozy. I guess I never even saw the Champagne Room! I knew there were some couches to the left of the bar (as you face it), but had no idea there was a whole 'nother room. Looks like I need to go back and reacquaint myself! :P

If you understand this discussion, you understand the gist of General Relativity.

I pretty much aced undergrad engineering, but took the gentleman's C in relativistic physics. If only the PX were around back then so I could have understood it better.

I just checked with the boss: There STILL is no sex in the Champagne Room. :P

Craig

Took the woman last night for a nice date. We had prearranged a reservation, flowers, and petit fours. Was truly a wonderful experience- they took great care of us and the manhattan I had was possibly the best manhattan I've ever had. I challenge each of you to make me a better one :lol: She had the champagne mojito and the champagne cocktail. I tasted both and both were excellent though I prefer champagne in a glass by itself :unsure:

A big thumbs up to PX for being a great place to spend a date.

PS- it gets a touch cold in there on cool nights so for the ladies I might suggest a wrap.

Has anyone been lately? Any new drink recommendations? Do they serve any snacks? I thought I saw they were serving small snacks of some sort, but I might have made that up.

Went to PX a few weeks ago... This was the first time I had ever been there, so I don't know which of the drinks were new. The grog was far and away the best drink of the evening- chilled lemon verbena tea with rum in a huge pirate-style mug. I wasn't particularly adventurous on this trip but also liked the gin and tonic. We all tried each other's drinks and there wasn't a bad one in the bunch (though some people enjoyed the tobacco and honeycomb flavored drink more than others- "The Smoker's Delight.") The flips and the drink with housemade lime cola sounded tasty too. A huge part of the fun of the PX is trying something new, and I'm glad I went in without too much knowledge of what was supposed to be good.

There were chips at the table which were constantly restocked, but otherwise no food- they may have some small other things available if you ask. My group went downstairs to Eamonn's after the PX and were very content.

Has anyone been lately? Any new drink recommendations? Do they serve any snacks? I thought I saw they were serving small snacks of some sort, but I might have made that up.

I'm there with some frequency, but am the wrong person to talk about the new drinks. Sooner or later I'm convinced that I'll walk in and see "Erik's Irish Flip" listed on the menu.

However, lately I've enjoyed tastes of the Smoker's Delight, Clint's Maple, the Champagne Cocktail (I love me some of that mystery gas pump) and of course, My Wife's Manhattan. You really can't go wrong with anything there. A little while ago, Clinton even made a couple of non-alcoholic creations for my favorite designated driver. Perhaps I can encourage plusone to expand on what she was enjoying while I was sucking down the flips.

As to the snacks, it's still just the homemade potato chips. I believe if you're renting the whole place out for a private party you can add some birthday cake, cheese and charcuterie.

Every time plusone and I are there, I find myself saying, "why don't we just move down here, and then I could be here 3 nights a week." But then after all those flips I'd probably weigh 3 bills and spend all of our disposable income upstairs on drinks and downstairs on fried Snickers bars...