The Waiting List For The Mailing List: How Long Have You Waited?

Joe H

I have been on the waiting list for the mailing list at Cayuse since the spring of '09.  I was told today that I "am close...very close."  I'm just curious how long people may have waited on a waiting list to make a winery's mailing list.

My luck is that the first vintage I can buy will be a bad one....

Waiting lists for mailing lists are so 2006. I'm not on any at the moment, having just gotten off of the SQN wait list (8 years). I guess since 2004 I've been whittling down the lists I buy from and concentrating on a few producers (like Copain) that make wines in the style I most enjoy as opposed to buying across a lot of lists. Hopefully this will be smarter for me in the long run.

What I've never understood is why wineries with long lists don't simply raise the prices of their wines to maximize revenue - at some point, the list would dwindle down to zero people, and would contain only people willing to pay the most money.

What I've never understood is why wineries with long lists don't simply raise the prices of their wines to maximize revenue - at some point, the list would dwindle down to zero people, and would contain only people willing to pay the most money.

I was on Leonetti's mailing list dating back into the '90's.  I remember when their merlot was $30-35 or so for a bottle.  Today they are more expensive, 85-90 for merlot.  Reserve is $140-150 and I no longer buy their wine.  I was loyal for 15-20 years or so but their prices outgrew me.  Perhaps interestingly tonight I opened a bottle of their '05 merlot.  It was absolutely delicious.  Worth every penny of the $45 or so I paid for it.  $85 or 90? No.  If I ever make it onto Cayuse's list I can buy Bionic Frog for that.  Or Reynvaan Stonessence which is a superb syrah.

There are limits to what a bottle is worth.