Salads

Those who know me will be very surprised to see this post, but after a lifetime of escewing salads, I'm suddenly finding myself wanting the green stuff. Maybe my body knows something I don't, but I'm actually craving the crunch of <shudder> lettuce and other salady things.

The inspiration might have come from a wonderful salad I recently shared at Vidalia involving green and yellow beans, spinach and the most delicous duck prosciutto. Where should I go next for salad?

The parameters:
- I'm already familiar with the Cosis, Corner Bakeries, etc. of the world. I'm looking for your top picks for DC-area restaurants with good starter or entree salads.
- Bonus points for salads that include steak, bacon or any other type of pork product.
- Cheese is good.
- Points deducted for salads involving seafood other than crab or lobster. Hey, this is my topic! I get to ask for what I like. wink.gif

Edited by DonRocks

Have a look at these. I think some are fantastic.

Salads (As entree)

House Salad

Crispy romaine lettuce, avocados, palmitos, red onions, green peppers, pepperoncini, tomatoes, spring onions tossed at your table with olive oil vinaigrette.

$8.95 

La Isabella Salad

Romaine leaves topped with fresh tomatoes, avocado, red pimentos, green and yellow peppers, red onions, glazed pecans, Spanish olives and feta cheese tossed with extra virgin olive oil and vinegar. $8.95 

Sunshine Salad

Avocado, oranges, fresh corn, red & yellow peppers, sundried tomatoes, red onions, glazed walnuts and mix baby lettuce and spinach, tossed with olive oil vinaigrette with a touch of peanut dressing. $9.95 

Fiesta Salad

Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, olives, green peppers, avocado, pepperoncini and cheese, topped with chicken or beef fajitas, served with our delicious house dressing. $9.95 

Monterey Salad

Marinated chicken, fresh corn, black beans, cheese, tortilla strips, peanuts, tomatoes, baby lettuces, and spinach tossed with our olive oil vinaigrette and a touch of peanut dressing. $9.95 

Brazilian Salad

Grilled chicken marinated, with spinach and baby mix lettuce, avocados, palmitos, tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions, zucchini, olives and parsley, tossed with our delicious olive oil vinaigrette and a touch of peanut dressing. $9.95 

BBQ Ranch Chicken

BBQ chicken, avocado, tomatoes, grilled corn, black beans, cucumbers and romaine lettuce all tossed with our house dressing, topped with crispy fried onions for crunch. $9.95 

La Fernanda Salad

Baby mix lettuce with chicken, red pimientos, green and yellow peppers, apples, red onions, almonds, sunflower seeds, tortilla strips and feta cheese, all tossed with our balsamic vinaigrette. $9.95 

Salmon Salad

Our delicious fresh herb-crusted salmon with baby lettuce, asparagus, red onions, cucumbers, and endive lettuce with our delicious olive oil vinaigrette, and a touch of peanut dressing. $10.95

They, not the Tex-Mex, are the reason to go to Lauriol Plaza.

The Monterey is my favorite.

Edited by LoganCircle

Ooh, great topic!

The salad in the cafe at Palena recently had a hard shaved cheese, like Parm, mixed in with tasty greens, toasted hazelnuts, and a few golden beets here and there. It is salad-tastic.

Right down the block, at Dino, the description of the chopped salad on the menu doesn't make you want to order it, but see if this description does: warm sauteed mushrooms and marinated artichokes, contrasting with cool greens, romanesco, beets again, and probably two or three more things I don't remember. Anyway, a nice hefty salad with contrasting tastes, temperatures, and textures to keep you powering through the whole plate.

I believe both are dressed with a tangy, low-key vinaigrette that just sort of gets out of the way so you can enjoy the rest of the ingredients.

I've always been unreasonably attached to the "Roast Chicken Salad" at Carlyle in Shirlington. I think some of the other "Great American Restaurants" serve it as well. But Carlyle is closest to DC. From their menu......

Roast Chicken

fresh corn, grape tomatoes, dates, sun dried cranberries, pine nuts

goat cheese & champagne vinaigrette

Edited by Free Wilma

Never had them, but the salads at Breadline always look good with a wide range of toppings.

Yes, I tend to gaze upon them with wonderment while waiting to order my sandwich. Actually, I've had salad there once, and it was very good. However, generally I'm there for sandwich! :lol:

"The Wedge" at Capital Grille is a salad in name only. The quarter-head of iceburg and tomato wedges are drowned in verrrry good blue cheese dressing and sprinkled with perfectly crisp bacon. Yummers.

And, for others, without OP's seafood aversions, the Tabard Inn occasionally has a smoked trout, arugula, lemon, and parm (? hm. some such cheese. maybe pecorino) salad that is simply delightful.

For lunch, the Old Ebbitt Express has a different salad every day of the week. All are pretty good and usually cost about $7.50. The portions are enormous. Their taco salad comes in a torilla bowl about the size of your head. Sadly lettuce doesn't keep very well otherwise you'd be able to make two meals out of it.

The beet salad at Corduroy is stellar, if it's still on the menu.

I had the wild mushroom salad at Circle Bistro. Mushrooms, lightly dressed frisee, lardons and a poached egg. Oh my. All evening every time I licked my lips I could taste the sweet and salty bacon.

Yes, I tend to gaze upon them with wonderment while waiting to order my sandwich.  Actually, I've had salad there once, and it was very good.  However, generally I'm there for sandwich!  :lol:

Breadline to me equals lentil and feta salad. It is amazing. It is so amazing that I can never get myself to order anything else (although most everything else that I have tasted has been excellent).

I'm a big fan of the simple house salad at Bistro Bis. It's well made, not too big and perfectly dressed with a wonderful, tangy vinaigrette.

I also think Capital Grille's steak salad is goodif you're looking for something a little heartier than your average salad. They have a Parmesan Vinaigrette that is pretty good (though a little grainy at times).

The Thai Chicken Salad at Zola gets raves from my friends (have never tried).

And finally -- my favorite salad in the entire city -- the Wafu Salad at Spices. Very simple salad -- iceberg lettuce, carrots and cucumbers (not usually the ingredients of a fabulous salad). What makes this salad great, however, is the dressing. It's a sesame/ginger dressing that should be put in a glass to drink it's so good. I have one at home in my fridge that will be devoured tonight!

Wollensky's Grill (the more casual side of Smith & Wollensky) has the best classic Cobb salad that I've tried in DC. 19th St. between L and M. I believe they also have a good steak salad, but I always get the Cobb, so I can't vouch for the others. I think there is a price differential if you order it from the more formal side of the establishment, so take care where you sit if you are sitting outside on the sidewalk because it's hard to tell there's a difference out there.

Ray's the Steaks "Steak Salad" DEFINITELY gets the bonus points for steak. It is huge, has a ton of bleu cheese, atop a bed of romaine with some grape tomatoes thrown in, dressed in a vinaigrette, I believe. There's probably a good 2-3 meals worth of steak on there and it's a bargain at about $14.95 or so.

I like the bacon and egg salad that Eve once had. All you do is pierce the egg and let the magic flow (very much like soup at Palena).

And for cheap fun, carry out: The Wafu (with shirmp) and the Ginger salad at Spices.

I've always liked the simplicity of the salads at Colorado Kitchen, and a lot of times those salads have fat-laden treasures hidden inside.

That one at Buck's is yummy. Iceburg is under-rated.

Ray's steak salald is yummy.

Edited by Meaghan

"The Wedge" at Capital Grille is a salad in name only. The quarter-head of iceburg and tomato wedges are drowned in verrrry good blue cheese dressing and sprinkled with perfectly crisp bacon. Yummers.
I like that salad a lot. I have not been there in some time now. Time for a return trip.

I quite like the Caesar salad at the Ritz-Carlton at Pentagon City.

Agree on the Spices ginger salad!

Since we're going Asian, I'll add hearty support for the gado gado at Nooshi--cabbage, tofu, green beans, cuke, egg, bean sprouts, shrimp chips, and spicy peanut dressing. I'm utterly addicted to this dish, which is just a "sorta" salad--some ingredients are warm and some are cold, but it still is crunchy and salad-y. Gado gado appears to be highly variable--in a restaurant in San Francisco, it was served as more of a stir fry (and only cost $3!), and at a restaurant in Cambodia, it was more of a salad. Whatever. At Nooshi, get it to go so, when you get home, you can smash up the egg then shake it up in its little plastic container so that everything gets all mixed together.

I guess I know what I'm having for dinner tonight...

I like the bacon and egg salad that Eve once had.  All you do is pierce the egg and let the magic flow (very much like soup at Palena).

The royal trumpet mushroom salad with lardons and poached egg that I inhaled at Circle Bistro last Friday is to die for.

eta:Heather had it first.

Edited by Mrs. B

I'm becoming a huge fan of cobb salads.  Avocado AND bacon together?  Genius.

When I clerked in Alexandria, I used to be a regular at this deli behind the federal courthouse (I think called New York deli or something like that). They had a great "california club" that was hand-carved turkey, avocado and bacon. Definitely YUMMY, if any of you lawyers (or jurors) find yourself down there (the courthouse is a bit too far from Old Town to walk). (Halfway through the year, I gave up pork so I had to get that sandwich without the bacon; it was still good though!)

If you don't want to wait at Lauriol for those salads, Cactus Cantina has the exact same ones...

In general I think the salads are great, but I did have the Sunshine Salad at Cactus once, and they clearly hadn't reconstituted the sun-dried tomatoes. They were like little strips of red leather.

(Rest of the salad was delicious though.)

Breadline to me equals lentil and feta salad.  It is amazing.  It is so amazing that I can never get myself to order anything else (although most everything else that I have tasted has been excellent).

I also really like the lentils and feta salad (although, if I do say so myself, I do a lovely one at home!).

I also second what some have said about the ginger salad at Spices. In fact, i think it's about the only decent thing on the menu.

I like a lot of the salads at Wheat Berry's on Connecticut Avenue in the old Amernick bakery spot. Favorites include the Israeli couscous with feta, caramelized onions and apricots, the sweet potato chicken salad with almonds and scallions, and the regular couscous with cranberries, raisins and scallions. I get food from this place more often than I probably should, but the owner is so nice and the food is consistently good.

the beet salad at corduroy

the arugula salad at marcel's

the radicchio salad at tosca

the sata fe chicken salad at the cheesecake factory

Sing with me -

One of these things is not like the others,

One of these things just doesn't belong,

Can you tell which thing is not like the others

By the time I finish my song?

:)

Edited by bilrus

it's what it is, not trying to be something else just delivering their promise, no high horses just facts

I'm not being critical - I eat plenty of salads from chains. In fact, just yesterday I had the Cobb Salad from Champps for lunch for probably the 200th time in the seven years I've worked in Reston.

But the first three restaurants on your list are easily among the best in the city. Cheescake Factory is flying in some pretty rarified air there.

When you think of salads (or if you think of salads) where do you go to find that plate of raw veggies? Besides creating your own, are their places that stand out as serving a delectable salad or do we all fall back to the sneeze guard protection of Ruby Tuesdays?

Rockwellians- where do you go?

[Edited to start with] Every salad du jour I've had at Restaurant Eve has been wonderful!

I have loved the ginger salad and the tea (?) salad at Myanmar in Merrifield.

I've also had a great Caesar salad at Kinkead's.

Where else can one get a traditional, well-executed Caesar salad?

[Please excuse the unintentional pun.]

Do not hate me for this.... I love the spicy fried chicken salad at TJFridays. Normally I try to avoid chains...but sometimes I just got to have one.

I have to confess. When I was in the marketing business and used to take clients to lunch all the time, I was often ordering that salad at the Fridays near my office. However, as the years went on it kind of lost something. But I turned on a lot of clients (even those that never hired me) onto that salad.

I totally agree with both these points!

I have to confess. When I was in the marketing business and used to take clients to lunch all the time, I was often ordering that salad at the Fridays near my office. However, as the years went on it kind of lost something. But I turned on a lot of clients (even those that never hired me) onto that salad.

Whenever I am craving a salad I head to Facia Luna in Clarendon for their trattoria salad (which includes spiced pecans, dates, olives, and feta). They have the best vinaigrette (homemade?) and I top it w/a generous piece of salmon which they cook to temp.

My other go-to is Sweetgreen in Gtown. I know it is pricey but I love all the goodies they have to choose from and everything is always incredibly fresh. Plus, I can follow up my salad with some of their devine frozen yogurt-mmmm.