Salads

I cannot get my favorite restaurant salad anymore as the Red Sage is closed. I became addicted to this salad when I worked there, back in '94-'96-- Ancho Caesar Salad with Pomegranate Seeds, Cornbread Croutons and Julienne of Beef Jerky. Makes me hungry just thinking about it...I may just have to make it this week and see if I can come close.

While it does not really qualify as a true salad (and Michael will tell you as much if you as him), the Steak Salad at RTS and RTC is a gigantic portion of romaine, bleu cheese, sauteed mushrooms and onions, and several large slices of sirloin covered in a light balsamic. A ridiculous deal for the price and, for obvious reasons, my favorite entree salad in the area.

Other great ones are the Cafe Salad at Palena, the Mendocino Salad at Mendocino Grille, and the Mixed Green Salad at Tosca.

I had jury duty during restaurant week and wandered into 701 for lunch. The winter greens salad with pomegranate seeds and toasted hazelnuts was soo good, that my first thought upon being picked to serve on a trial was, "at least I get to go back for another salad!"

:mellow:

gosh that was yummy.

I've shunned the Amphora for years because of eating there (the Vienna location) about a thousand times as a kid. My father still loves it. But I have, in the last two months, been there three times, and each time had the Caribbean salad. It's a huge salad consisting of a pile of mixed greens tossed with slices of avocado, mango, pineapple, red peppers, and oranges, along with a handful of walnuts. The dressing is a very pleasant citrus vinaigrette. The salad, along with a warm roll, makes for a satisfying light meal.

I'm sitting here eating the Garden Salad from WTF and thinking "WTF, why can't other places make a salad like this." A Garden Salad with shrimp is $11.75 which is marginally more expensive and the same size as the equivalent salad from Chop't. Only instead of being served premasticated, it is a solidly good mix of bitter mixed greens, nicely cut up vegetables (radishes, mushrooms, cauliflower, cucumber, tomato, green beans, peppers, carrots and celery), with fresh mozzarella, shrimp and a lovely vinaigrette. I prefer their green gooddess but that wasn't in the bag today. No matter. I haven't tried their other salads but today they had one that was a riff on chirashi with raw tuna and salmon, roe and pickled vegetables that sounded pretty good. The sandwiches coming out of the kitchen looked good. On their breakfast menu you can get a bagel and whitefish salad. Woudn't be surprised if the terribly trendy Cronut popped up there at some point since they seem to have a pretty nice bakery selection as well.

The ability to make, and especially dress, a good salad has gone from being "one of many things a decent cook must know how to do" to "a rare and precious commodity." Today, it's slap some arugula on a plate, throw some bacon and blue (always blue) cheese on top, and wow, you're in Foodie Land! Like good bread and butter (which is as wonderful as nearly any food item), a good salad is now something you have to really search for.

• Like 1

Worse than slapping the arugula on the plate is serving up rotted baby mesclun because they were too lazy to sort the leaves properly, or they need to use up what was left over from the prior day. I've had that happen more times than I care to remember.

Two places where the salads are consistently prepared with care are Jaleo and Monroe's, and Monroe's salads are priced low for this area. Monroe's always has a nice selection of interesting Italian wines by the glass as well, so you can have a very enjoyable light dinner. Now that I think about it, I don't know why we aren't going there more frequently.

• Like 1

My doctor has ordered me to eat more salads.  I am writing this e-mail to see what peoples favorite restaurants they like in Bethesda that offer  the salads.

I think it as "the best of the best salads in town".   If anyone knows a fantastic restaurant that (in your opinion) is the best salad in town please do let me know.

Thank you

Stephen Hosmer

stephenhosmer12@gmail.com 

32 minutes ago, steveeat12 said:

My doctor has ordered me to eat more salads.  I am writing this e-mail to see what peoples favorite restaurants they like in Bethesda that offer  the salads.

I think it as "the best of the best salads in town".   If anyone knows a fantastic restaurant that (in your opinion) is the best salad in town please do let me know.

Thank you

Stephen Hosmer

stephenhosmer12@gmail.com 

Honestly, Cava would get my vote.  Sweetgreen is good as well, but you somehow end up paying $18 for a salad, which seems absurd.  Barrel & Crow has a good beet salad, but it's a smaller portion.  Persimmon has a wedge salad that's not remotely healthy but tastes really good.   Maybe Jaleo, where you could assemble some good tapas and call it a salad?  Endives with goat cheese, Catalan spinach, and the Sauteed cauliflower with dates and olives are all good.  The first is actually really easy to make at home.  Good luck.

I'm a fan of "fast casual" salads, so much of my feelings are based on those places.

I agree with Cava. You get their Splendid Greens (or whatever it's called) with roasted veggies and you have a good meal. And yeah, SweetGreen is good, but prices go up fast! I have always like Chopt as well. I like their Mexicali Vegan for its flavor. And, actually, one of my favorite salads is back at Panera Bread: their strawberry poppyseed salad. Now that I can buy that dressing in store, I often use it to make my own salads.

Beyond that, I think there's a True Food Kitchen in Bethesda, and I've always liked their salads when I've had them. Not really fast casual like the others, but often "fancier" salads.

ETA: I forgot that most poke places will do a poke bowl with salad greens instead of rice. And to me that's just a salad with some fish on top. I'm sure Bethesda has quite a few places as it's a trendy food.