Dino, Dean Gold and Kay Zimmerman's Italian Enoteca in Cleveland Park with Beverage Director Fabian Malone - Closed

Given my conversations with Dean, I was sad but not surprised to read his email. I had many great dinners at Dino and my wine group enjoyed a couple of extremely raucous nights there as well. That said, I'm extremely please to read that the new place will be nearer to our home. Onwards and upwards!

So I googled the Metro green line stops and thought - boy, I'll miss eating there. 

I didn't realize Dean was moving out to LA ;)

Redondo Beach, Howard Rumsey's and The Lighthouse were my stomping grounds of my misguided and... ummm.... well... smoke LA smog clouded college days where I spent more time on jazz and such then economics.  But no, Redondo Beach is not in the future.

• Like 1

Lasagnette? Thank goodness.

UWe will of course keep the standards... boar pasta, burrata, lasagnette, cioppino, meatballs on a continuous basis.   

Glad to hear the good news about a new spot. I have so many great memories of my meals at Dino.

Sounds like we need to entice Mark to do his part for a rumble at the Uptown in support of whatever place moves into the space and the other restaurants CP will want to retain. Bucher? Bucher? Anyone?

Sorry. Was late to the thread. Kudos to Dean for holding his ground , and to places like Houston's in Georgetown and Rockville who told landlords to take a hike when the rent went sky high upon renewals. An apparent greedy landlord will now sit with a vacancy and loose rent for a period of time and will never get what they think they can. The old saying a "bird in hand" rings true . I'm sorry to loose a great neighbor but glad DC gets to keep an icon. Bravo Dino! Well played sir ..

We  have lots of great California pinots and chards from Litttorai, Arcadian, Mount Eden etc.  They are prices for the most part under $150 and so don't get the 50% off.  So starting tonight, any Oregon or California Pinot, Zin, Chard, Syrah that is between $76 and $150 is now on sale for $75.

fer instance...

Any California wine normally $75 to 150 now $75 will they are gone!  Mt Eden, Ridge, Littorai, Arcadian included!

Littorai Pinots {all $75}
Sonoma Coast 2010
Sonoma Coast 2008
Sonoma Coast 2006
"Cerise" Anderson Valley Mendocino 2006
"Les Larmes" Anderson Valley 2008
"Les Larmes" Anderson Valley 2006
"Les Larmes" Anderson Valley 2005
"Hirsch Vineyard" Sonoma Coast 2006
"Savoy" Anderson Valley, Mendocino 2006

Mt Eden Chardonnay {all $75}
Mount Eden "Estate" Santa Cruz Mountains 2006
Mount Eden "Estate" Santa Cruz Mountains 2005
Mount Eden "Estate" Santa Cruz Mountains 2004
Mount Eden "Estate" Santa Cruz Mountains 2001

Arcadian Pinot Noir {Take $50% off}
"Pisoni" Santa Lucia Highlands 2005 $179
"Pisoni" Santa Lucia Highlands 2004 $189
"Pisoni" Santa Lucia Highlands 1999  $199
  • Like 1

This week being restaurant week and with our not participating, we are offering a bunch of specials at Dino in CP.

January 13 thru 19

Half off dessert with order of starter and entree.  Plus complemnetary house infused "cello"

A complementary amuse

Wine Madness {Wines $50+ 33% off}

Free Corkage and $18 bottle wine special

Burger and a Brew for $15 at your table or bar

All night, every night

And don't forget our happy hour: $3 off all cocktails, antipasti, wines by quartin, and beer 'til 7pm in the bar area.  At your table too Monday thru Thursday!

We will also be testing some of our dishes for the grotto including Stacotto di Capra {Goat Stew} and Fritto Misto alla Diavola {Fried seafood in a Sriracha Crust w/Young Ginger Aioli}

I am trying to remember the name of a truly... unique cheese I had at Dino once, either 2005-2006 or 2010-2013.  It was moldy to the extreme, in color more brown than blue, and so funk-filled it was almost spicy.  Most cheeses, especially harder ones and blues, are to my liking, but I recall this one coming with a warning about just how crazy it was and to tread with care.  The warning was right, this cheese was so spicy and different, in a positive way at first but was only tolerable for a few bites.

Does anyone remember this cheese and its name?  I believe it was Italian.  Believe it or not, I am trying to track down a hunk of it here in Seattle so I can give it a try again.  I can still taste it, and want to see if my memory matches reality.  Apologies for not scouring the search function; as you can imagine, searching the Dino thread for the keyword "cheese," even if adding the words "funky" and restricting the author to Dean himself, is still a tough slog without a lot of free time.

35 minutes ago, Kanishka said:

I am trying to remember the name of a truly... unique cheese I had at Dino once, either 2005-2006 or 2010-2013.  It was moldy to the extreme, in color more brown than blue, and so funk-filled it was almost spicy.  Most cheeses, especially harder ones and blues, are to my liking, but I recall this one coming with a warning about just how crazy it was and to tread with care.  The warning was right, this cheese was so spicy and different, in a positive way at first but was only tolerable for a few bites.

Does anyone remember this cheese and its name?  I believe it was Italian.  Believe it or not, I am trying to track down a hunk of it here in Seattle so I can give it a try again.  I can still taste it, and want to see if my memory matches reality.  Apologies for not scouring the search function; as you can imagine, searching the Dino thread for the keyword "cheese," even if adding the words "funky" and restricting the author to Dean himself, is still a tough slog without a lot of free time.

Hmm. Well, the strongest "common" Italian blue cheese I can think of is gorgonzola piccante. But there are others like I'blu, or brebis. Hmm.