Dino, Dean Gold and Kay Zimmerman's Italian Enoteca in Cleveland Park with Beverage Director Fabian Malone - Closed

Happy hour..Stopped by last night spontaneously as my son called to say he was working till 8 and my wife was out of town.

I was one of 3 patrons in the bar area. Where is everyone else. There was a ton of food on the bar including 3 bowls of olives, pickled green tomatoes, salami, pates and more.

Great selection of wines by the glass at 25% off in both small and large pours. Started off with a great reisling then a nice Vernaccia(I think, Dean feel free to correct me).

Next time this confluence of my family all being out occurs I will shout out to this board to see if I can get a crowd here, or at least a few others. The bar at Dino is a gem and it certainly deserves a bigger crowd.

A few special treats tonight:

Heyser's Silver Spring grown black raspberries (they have about a 3 week season) along with first of season Maryland cherries {sour & sweet}. Ivory King Salmon. Several new cheeses including a fresh wheel of raw milk Alpine Alben and a 200 day cave aged Gorgonzola.

Happy hour..Stopped by last night spontaneously as my son called to say he was working till 8 and my wife was out of town.

I was one of 3 patrons in the bar area. Where is everyone else. There was a ton of food on the bar including 3 bowls of olives, pickled green tomatoes, salami, pates and more.

Great selection of wines by the glass at 25% off in both small and large pours. Started off with a great reisling then a nice Vernaccia(I think, Dean feel free to correct me).

Next time this confluence of my family all being out occurs I will shout out to this board to see if I can get a crowd here, or at least a few others. The bar at Dino is a gem and it certainly deserves a bigger crowd.

Actually poured you the 2007 Moncaro Verdicchio Castelli dei Jesi Verde Ca Ruptae. Glad you enjoyed the wine and the Happy Hour spread! Hope to see you again soon!

A few special treats tonight:

Heyser's Silver Spring grown black raspberries (they have about a 3 week season)...

We had these last week with vanilla gelato and aged balsamic. Delicious.

We have been out of commission for some time with the new house and baby. So about one month ago we got brave and went out with the baby! We gave him some formula, changed him and got him napping. This gave us about two hours to get to a place and eat. So we headed to Dino's, one of our old favorites. I have to say that Dean and the staff were AWESOME. They are very kid friendly and we will be making a trip back very soon.

As for the meal, it was just what we needed. We had meatballs to start. I have to say that those are some of best meatballs I have had in a long time and would love to try them at home. The boar pasta was succulent and just as good as always. My wife had the chicken, she said it was good but could not finish (that is a huge dish/love the olives in it)- makes for a great chicken sandwich the next day. For desert we had the cheese plate which as most people know, they do an A+ with.

Thanks for a great dinner Dean!

Dino is celebrating our 4th anniversary with a tasting menu featuring Venice inspired dishes thru July 15 and Montalcino from July 16 thru 31. The cost of the menu is $39 with a 4 wine pairing {including Zeni Amarone} for $20 for Venice, and $24 for Montalcino {including Costanti 2003 Brunello di Montalcino}.

Venice Menu

Montalcino Menu

Sunday and Monday, we will be opening some cellar treasures for complementary sampling. Please join us!

Congrats indeed.

We were there Thursday night and the Venice menu just is that good.

I was also super-impressed with our server's wine recommendations - now if I could only remember what it was that he told us was a "very unusual" wine we would be golden. I enjoyed it too much to write it down, obviously.

I took a friend with me to Dino for the anniversary dinner (Tuscan) the other night and, after the first course, she proclaimed it her new favorite Italian restaurant in DC. I had expected her to like it, but that exceeded my expectations.

She had some special requests, which our server handled beautifully. We loved our wines (didn't get the flight) and all of our food. We both did the cheese for the antipasto. She especially loved the fresh peas. I loved the honey on the pecorino. She had wild boar pasta as a sub for the first course, and I got the pappardelle with garlic and tomatoes. I enjoyed the combo of raw and roasted garlic. We both had the duck with cherry sauce for the second and loved it. She got some chocolate thing for dessert and ate some of my nutella cappucino (beautiful but I could only eat a few spoonfuls).

As a bonus, I realized that the people next to us whom we were chatting with included a DR poster. Nice serendipity and lovely conversation. Great evening (especially given that it started with my shoes falling apart in Union Station. Good thing my friend had just bought new shoes and could give me hers to wear. They were a bit large but we had quite an enjoyable evening.)

One final P.S. I've noticed this before and need to comment. As someone who rarely orders dessert, Dino has a phenomenal dessert menu. I've not seen anything of its like anywhere else.

I had dinner there last week with an old friend in from out of town and while we didn't order the anniversary menu's, I have to say that the apricots were an absolutely delightful summer treat. The rest of the meal was excellent and as always, the Barolo we had was delicious.

Please note how the Restaurant Association again plays to the hands of the biggies who offer restaurant week for only the one week itself. Restaurant Week is 2 weeks later this year, making it harder for the restaurants that extend their promotions because of its nearness to Labor day.

Dean, I think Dino does an excellent job making authentic Italian cuisine affordable to diners all year round! I love the fact that Restaurant Week at Dino is all year round! It's great! You already offer three courses for $35.09.

Re: Dining Review

WOW WOW WOW. Boyfriend and I went to Dino last night because I was tempted by the Tuscan special menu. We had that, with the wine pairings, and both of us thought that it was among the best meals we have had in months.

First course we both had the vegetarian plate, and, as stated above, the cheese and honey was the real standout, although the eggplant/zucchini crostini was also really really good.

For seconds I had the papardelle and he had the rabbit. By far the rabbit was the best thing of the night. We both proclaimed it to be so good it was almost a sexual experience. Seriously, go to Dino right now and order this rabbit. My papardelle was good, nice and summery, but couldn't compete.

Next I had the boar, which was fantastic, and he had the duck. He's not a duck fat fan, but still loved the dish. I love boar, so I thought it was great. Only downside was that both of our sides of greens and potatoes had raw potates - literally barely cooked at all. We didn't really care, since everything else was great and we were too full to eat it anyway.

Finally, we had the vin santo and I had the balsamic and gelato and he the nutella capuccino. I have had the gelato with balsamic before and it was as good as always.

Throughout the meal the wines were totally excellent and well paired (not that we would have expected less of Dino). I'd love to remember what the vin santo was because I want to buy a bottle.

I am off on a vacation to Montepulciano and Montalcino in September, so this was a nice teaser for that trip (and, if anyone has suggestions on great places to eat or drink in that part of Tuscany please drop me a PM!). I hadn't been to Dino in a year or so, but this visit reminded me that I need to come here way more often. Thanks for a great evening Dino!

August update....

Thru September 13 actually, we are offering Restaurant Week pricing every night. Plus we are throwing in complementary crostini & a spalsh of house infused grappa, limoncello or moscato after your meal. In addition, we are offering 33% off wines $50+ every night of the week. Details

Tomatoes are finally starting to get good and more organic veggies are available each week. So the menu is finally starting to feel summery. Check it out!

Last add, we have Costanti Brunello in by the glass. 2003 vintage which is drinking beautifully. $66 a bottle, 22 for 8 oz and 9 for 3oz. Just an aside, it retails for $69 at Macarthurs. Sorry but at this price, not further wine madness discount is possible. Also we ahve some likker prices on Littorai of various vintages and vineyards for you pinot and chard lovers.

Tried the grilled peaches with pancetta, duck stock & onion reduction, mascarpone at the bar tonight. A fantastic dish that we couldn't decide if it should be an appetizer or a dessert. Or if you should order a portion to start your meal and another to finish it. The sweet/smoky/creamy combo really works.

Have I mentioned how happy I am to be home?

Tried the grilled peaches with pancetta, duck stock & onion reduction, mascarpone at the bar tonight. A fantastic dish that we couldn't decide if it should be an appetizer or a dessert. Or if you should order a portion to start your meal and another to finish it. The sweet/smoky/creamy combo really works.

Have I mentioned how happy I am to be home?

Need to second laniloa's shout out for the peaches -- best dish I've had in a long time that Mrs. B didn't cook. The duck neck wrapped around duck heart, liver etc. wasn't awful, either. Or maybe it was...

Need to second laniloa's shout out for the peaches -- best dish I've had in a long time that Mrs. B didn't cook. The duck neck wrapped around duck heart, liver etc. wasn't awful, either. Or maybe it was...

Agree with the above posters on the peaches (the apricot version of these was even more delightful, I hope it will be back next year), twice I've had skeptical dining companions try them and each time they were blown away.

As a quick aside, I've dined at Dino twice during their restaurant week (between Aug. 1 and now) and I (and my guests) have been extremely impressed with the hospitality shown by the staff irregardless of how busy the place is.

Fall is in the air! This is the latest issue of our newletter featuring some of our newer items and suppliers. Our menu has taken a fall turn.

If you join us this Friday, mention Don Rockwell and get our three course Restaurant Week offer of 3 courses plus Scott Palmer's house infused grappa or moscato for $35.09 (entire menu with but 2 up charges) and 33% off wines $50+. Our way of saying thanks to the so many of you who are a part what had brought Dino to this joyus holiday season. You don't have to be Jewish for us to wish you a happy and prosperous New Year!

We made through the rain to Dino on Saturday night. Even though we were 30 minutes earlier then our reservation, we were promptly seated. Between the two wine menus and dinner menu, there was a lot to consider. Fortunately we were helped by our server on wine selections, once we decided what to order.

I started with the whites peaches, pancetta, duck stock & mascarpone. It is as everything as good as others have written. Sadly, you probably have to wait till next summer to enjoy this - I can't imagine the peaches will last much longer. The wife had the polenta with balsamic mushrooms. We make polenta frequently, but not at all like this. This was very creamy (I'm sure we skimp on the butter) and cheesy, and a much finer texture then our usual coarse grain polenta.

A half order of the pappardelle with wild boar was perfect for me on the rainy evening, while my wife enjoyed some new cheeses. As a vegetarian, she was very pleased with the entire menu's selection - it is rare she actually has difficult decisions to make when ordering. For our mains, I had the lamb stew (the weather really influenced my ordering) while the wife had the winter squash rissotto. I thought the stew was a little heavy on the wine and that the potatoes could have been roasted a little longer. Unless the variety (Nicola/German gold) is simply a firmer potato. My wife was excited to have rissotto in a restaurant, as it is usually made which chicken or some other stock. I had contacted Dean earlier and he confirmed it was vegetarian. It was good, but after what we'd both eaten, we each had to take half of our entrees home.

We did manage to split a dessert; riccotta topped roasted plumbs with peppercorn gelato. The plumbs didn't taste very roasted, but that diddn't matter. We each could have just eatten a bowl of the ricotta crema and noticed little else. Overall, the night was a success, and I'm sure we'll try to get back, especially with the mid-week specials. I saw a children's menu, but didn't notice if they had booster seats for our toddler. If anyone has experience with toddler age children there, I'd like to hear it.

I saw a children's menu, but didn't notice if they had booster seats for our toddler. If anyone has experience with toddler age children there, I'd like to hear it.

The children's menu was a hit with gebaby; the one time he went, along with bimbap's little one, they both seemed to enjoy things off that menu. Gebaby ate a good portion of the spaghetti and meatballs dish. At that point, the two little ones were in high chairs, but Dean makes it so family-friendly there I can't imagine there not being boosters there. If you're upstairs, going up and down the stairs provided great entertainment as well. Since the last time I went, it was with 4 other couples, we were all seated in a separate room upstairs. The little ones, besides going up and down the stairs, played in the corner area. Hope this helps.

We've since returned twice with the Bimbapino and Dino's has always been great with him. They've expanded the children's menu to include fried calamari and a nice grilled cheese sandwich (with real cheese and sliced Italian bread) that was another hit with my son. Since he can still sit in a high chair, I can't say whether or not they have boosters.

We've since returned twice with the Bimbapino and Dino's has always been great with him. They've expanded the children's menu to include fried calamari and a nice grilled cheese sandwich (with real cheese and sliced Italian bread) that was another hit with my son. Since he can still sit in a high chair, I can't say whether or not they have boosters.

Boosters are available! :rolleyes:

Overall, the night was a success, and I'm sure we'll try to get back, especially with the mid-week specials. I saw a children's menu, but didn't notice if they had booster seats for our toddler. If anyone has experience with toddler age children there, I'd like to hear it.

Boosters and high chairs are available.

BLToddler would have dinner at Dino's every night if he could. The entire staff is really great with him (and his egg allergy). He can even order his entree himself "polenta with mushrooms", though he tends to shriek the mushroom part because he's so excited by it. We don't usually order for him off the children's menu, though it is one of the most progressive menus for kids out there.

Definitely in our top picks for toddler dining.

We did manage to split a dessert; riccotta topped roasted plumbs with peppercorn gelato. The plumbs didn't taste very roasted, but that diddn't matter. We each could have just eatten a bowl of the ricotta crema and noticed little else. Overall, the night was a success, and I'm sure we'll try to get back, especially with the mid-week specials. I saw a children's menu, but didn't notice if they had booster seats for our toddler. If anyone has experience with toddler age children there, I'd like to hear it.

I was there on Friday night and had this as well. I made the mistake of sharing some with my cousin and his wife and literally had to beat them back so I could finish the rest myself. I thought the black peppercorn gelato was delicious but I agree, I would've eaten a bowl of the ricotta crema all by itself.

Boosters and high chairs are available.

BLToddler would have dinner at Dino's every night if he could. The entire staff is really great with him (and his egg allergy). He can even order his entree himself "polenta with mushrooms", though he tends to shriek the mushroom part because he's so excited by it. We don't usually order for him off the children's menu, though it is one of the most progressive menus for kids out there.

Definitely in our top picks for toddler dining.

We were there with my parents and our two kids (3 and 8) on Saturday. We ended up being a rather lusty crowd, but the server was the picture of patience and grace (I think it helped everyone involved that we had a 5:45 reservation). I can't remember all the courses, but the roasted fennel, the paparadelle with boar ragu, and the Pio prosciutto were all really excellent. When Dino is on it is really like being at an osteria in Italy. Martini aficionados will also enjoy Dino's take on the Martinez.

Edited by Banco

New cocktail on my list. The Mexican Argument. Yes, there's a story...

Freaky timing. I just finished reading your name in The List Are You On It, then flipped over here to see your post.

"...And, mixologist Scott Palmer of Woodley Park's Dino will be in mixing up his signature cocktails for the fall season. All on Dishing It Out, Sunday, October 11, live at 11:00 a.m."

I hope you tell the story of that latest beverage. :(

Freaky timing. I just finished reading your name in The List Are You On It, then flipped over here to see your post.

"...And, mixologist Scott Palmer of Woodley Park's Dino will be in mixing up his signature cocktails for the fall season. All on Dishing It Out, Sunday, October 11, live at 11:00 a.m."

I hope you tell the story of that latest beverage. :P

Will do! I need to let Nycci know that we're in Cleveland Park though :(

I started with the white peaches, pancetta, duck stock & mascarpone. It is as everything as good as others have written. Sadly, you probably have to wait till next summer to enjoy this - I can't imagine the peaches will last much longer.

This dish was ridiculously good last night even at the last gasp of the season; I can't imagine how good it must have been earlier in the summer. Perfect match with that 2003 Costanti Brunello. Nicely done, as always.

This dish was ridiculously good last night even at the last gasp of the season; I can't imagine how good it must have been earlier in the summer. Perfect match with that 2003 Costanti Brunello. Nicely done, as always.

It was so lovely having you at the bar tonight!

Cheers! Scott

ooops. loggged in as Dean!

I was walking to my car in Cleveland Park last night, intent on heading down Connecticut Avenue for my main course. I saw Dean at the host stand, and poked my head in the door to say hello. This resulted in a rare medical condition known as DGDG (*), and ended up with me dropping a Franklin!

The Mexican Argument ($11) is one of Scott Palmer's cocktails, and is fantastic, even in Scott's absence. If anyone in the world can figure out why this drink is named what it is (without cheating), I'll buy them one (**).

The greatest scrapple, and perhaps the only great scapple, I'd ever eaten was Nick Stefanelli's at a pig-cooking competition. But the Collo d'Anatra ($8) at Dino is absolutely on the podium. Billed as a "Duck 'Beggar's Purse,'" this is slices of housemade duck sausage stuffed into duck-neck skin, slow cooked, then crisped, and served with an orange marmalade. Essentially, this wicked-sounding dish is scrapple with maple syrup, and is absolutely brilliant.

Despite the false impression of lightness (honest), it's an extremely rich dish that is best cut with something good and acidic. Carciofi Fritti ($12) is a plate of exquisite little fried baby artichokes, served simply with lemon and salt, and is perfect with the Collo d'Anatra, the lemon cutting right through the duck fat. Unfortunately, this dish will be going off the menu soon, and so you'll have to come up with your own pairing. Sensational in its simplicity, nicely matched with a glass of Soave, get these artichokes while you still can.

A great night for Dino.

Cheers,

Rocks

(*) Dean Gold Death Grip

(**) Jake Parrott not eligible

Carciofi Fritti ($12) is a plate of exquisite little fried baby artichokes, served simply with lemon and salt, and is perfect with the Collo d'Anatra, the lemon cutting right through the duck fat. Unfortunately, this dish will be going off the menu soon,

Rocks

(*) Dean Gold Death Grip

(**) Jake Parrott not eligible

9 orders left on the artichokes till Friday/Saturday {Santa Monica Farmres' Market and Fed Ex willing}

We seriously need to plan a DR happy hour at Dino. The two times I was there this summer the bar was way empty for one of the finest happy hours around. Maybe I was too happy with the wine and food!!

Great idea! I need to go to Dino soon as I'm very curious about the "Mexican argument" drink...:(

Was at Dino's last night and snagged one of the last orders of artichokes. Very nice! But it was the duck beggar's purse that did it for me. The ultimate sausage. The maialino continues to find it's way onto my plate (and arteries). Just too bad Dean wasn't there to guide us on the ordering and pairing, but we still had a good time. And I second the request for a special HH there.

White truffle are in tonight. Risotto with white truffle is $42. Aroma is awesome!

And worth every penny!

Jim e-mailed me at work with a link to Dino's truffle announcement and with a little persuading, talked me into going there for dinner tonight. And am I glad we went.

We inquired about the $18 bottle of wine deal offered on Tuesdays - Thursdays and went with the white. Then started out sharing the baby artichoke appetizer. I got the truffle risotto and Jim got the seafood soup. Then finished the meal with the 'adults only' sorbetti.

Artichokes - as good as everyone has said in previous posts. Tender, flavorful and cooked to perfection.

Seafood soup - Lots of delicious shellfish (clams, mussels, scallop and squid) all nestled in a wonderful tomato/fish stock. The stock was great on it's own when sopped up with bread.

The truffle risotto - oh, my. Before our meal arrived, Dino came to the table with a small bowl in his hands. We both thought he was bringing a nibble to the table. But no, it was something even better, it was a white truffle sitting pretty in a nest of rice. You could smell the earthiness as the bowl got within a foot of our noses. I knew that I was in for a real treat. I've never had white truffle before and couldn't wait for my risotto. It.....was.......so.....good!! The aroma of the truffle shavings as they hit the warm risotto, the taste of them melding with the risotto (which was pretty damn good on it's own) was heavenly. Jim took several bites but after the 4th bite, he was tempting fate. I wiped the bowl clean with a piece of bread and wanted more but I settled for dessert instead.

The 'adults only' sorbetti was delish! Three flavors (I forgot to memorize what they were from the menu) were just the right touch to end the meal. We arrived home full, relaxed and content. What more could you ask for?

post-1215-125686892477_thumb.jpg

post-1215-12568689428_thumb.jpg

post-1215-125686895137_thumb.jpg

We should be getting 20# of king crab fresh, never frozen, from alaska. First catch of the season. Cooked dockside and flown overnight. Nothing like King Crab that has been frozen. If United doesn't lose it! About 30 orders served on pasta with cream sauce.

Tonight there are more truffles, very aromatic this week, better than last. 21 orders left.