Dino, Dean Gold and Kay Zimmerman's Italian Enoteca in Cleveland Park with Beverage Director Fabian Malone - Closed

But one last...

The owner has been incredibly gracious, professional, and responsive in regards to my original post--really above and beyond the call of duty.

I really believe that it's not the mistake but the response to the mistake that defines a business, which is why I'll enthusiastically return to Dino.

I'm going to start by saying that Dino isn't a restaurant, it's more of a dining room in a house of someone who is gracious, welcoming and can cook their a$$ off. Grover and I and our erstwhile Saturday evening dining companion Mark set out to Dino on a rainy Saturday night via the metro. When we got to the Cleveland Park metro station, massive downpour. Didn't matter. From the metro exit, Dino is a 30 second walk. Through the door and a warm greeting from Michael (the manager?) who greeted us by name, a warm handshake from the bearded guy who turned out to be Dean Gold himself and a short trip to a table by the window (most are) where we could observe people trying to stay dry in the rain. We threw ourselves on the good graces of Dean and asked that he prepare 3 courses for us with corresponding wines. Now, one thing Dean can do is pair food with wine. Unfortunately, like an idiot (hush Grover), I didn't write down the names of the wines, suffice it to say, they were great. The 3 of us had different wines for every course and there wasn't a mispaired wine in the group. Now for the food. Where can I start? Before I forget, pay attention to the bread. Good crusty bread, great olive oil...yummy. The Antipasti were excellent. We had Polipo Alla Griglia, Salumi Artigianali and Frommagio Di Dino...Mark for some reason is not a octopus eater (naturally he always gets served octopus). He seemed to manage to eat most of the octopus...(Grover and I polished off what he didn't get to fast enough), the Salumi was an impressive array of really good cured meats, the sausage being especially memorable. I don't know where Dean buys his cheese, but I'm definitely going to try to find out. The cheese plate was great with a very good aromatic blue really standing out. The second course was a combination of pasta and soup. Grover had Pappardelle with the wild boar and herbs. The next time we go to Dino, this is the only thing I'm going to order. Spicy, soothing, creamy, al dente, warming, hearty. Nothing really describes it very well. Suffice it to say that Grover had to fight to keep Mark and I from eating it all to the point of ignoring what we had been served. This doesn't take away from the courses we had. I had the Pannochie con Gorgonzola. A very nice dish of corkscrew pasta with gorgonzola cheese. Very flavorful and a dish I wasn't sure I wanted to share. I didn't get to taste Mark's Pappa col Pomodoro because he put his arms around the bowl and didn't look up until it was gone. (Mark gets to pay the bill next time). For the third course, a fine finish with Grover having Brodetto (bouillabaisse), me having Braciole and Mark having the rotisserie Pork loin. Again, he took one bite and said he wasn't going to share. One taste of my rolled pork loin and a bit of Grover's bouillabaisse and he (grudgingly) gave us a taste. For dessert, cappucino and "drowned" gelato for me...a shot of espresso poured over vanilla gelato. This gives a new dimension to coffee ice cream...Grover had what I consider the most interesting combination and one I would never think of combining. She had the Gelato with Balsamic vinegar. A most interesting combination of sweet and tart in a mouthful (you didn't think I was going to let her eat it all, did you?). Mark had the tiramisu which I didn't get to try because he ate it before I had a chance.

We came hungry, we left satisfied, extremely happy and feeling as if we had spent a couple of hours with a very warm and welcoming friend. In the last couple of weeks we have discovered the breadth and depth of fine Italian cooking in the DC area. Dino and Notti Bianchi can put a lot of DC restaurants to shame. Wonderful food, exemplary wines, personalized service...every restaurant should be run this way. Thank you very much Dean. We'll be back I promise.

Edited by Escoffier

I didn't write down the names of the wines, suffice it to say, they were great.  The 3 of us had different wines for every course and there wasn't a mispaired wine in the group. 

Without looking at your check, and after a lunch of 3 caparinha's...

!st round: Lagrein Rosato Th. Myer 2004 Alto Adige, Gewurztraminer Abbazia di Novacella 2004 Alto Adige (One of the last of 6 bottles or so), Barbera d'Alba Hillberg 2004, Piemonte

Pasta Course: Fiano di Paestum 2003 DeConcillius Campania, Lagrein Abbazia di Novacella 2004 Alto Adige, Rosso di Montalcino Ciacci Piccolomini 2003, Toscana

Entrees: Brunello di Montalcino 1998 Costanti, Cabernet Judd's Hill 2000 Napa Valley, Tocai Friulano Ronco del Gnemiz 2003, Colli Orientali, Friuli.

Without looking at your check, and after a lunch of 3 caparinha's...

!st round:  Lagrein Rosato Th. Myer 2004 Alto Adige, Gewurztraminer Abbazia di Novacella 2004 Alto Adige (One of the last of 6 bottles or so), Barbera d'Alba Hillberg 2004, Piemonte

Pasta Course: Fiano di Paestum 2003 DeConcillius Campania, Lagrein Abbazia di Novacella 2004 Alto Adige, Rosso di Montalcino Ciacci Piccolomini 2003, Toscana

Entrees: Brunello di Montalcino 1998 Costanti, Cabernet Judd's Hill 2000 Napa Valley, Tocai Friulano Ronco del Gnemiz 2003, Colli Orientali, Friuli.

Can I get those for take-out? :lol: A memorable meal, Dean.

I've got to agree with Connave on the quality of service at Dino's. I went with a friend for a much-anticipated dinner--we wanted to enjoy some cocktails, red wine, and good Italian food while the snow came tumbling down. Unfortunately, the waiter forgot the cocktails we ordered and was pretty snotty about me asking for them after he brought our appetizers (and overcharged us for them, but only by a few cents so I felt like I couldn't complain). He wouldn't answer our questions about the menu and when he gave us the bill, he approached the table every few minutes even though we were finishing our wine.

The food was delicious, though--the gorgonzola pasta was a beautiful mix of flavors and the crostini and smoked mozzarella were excellent. It's just a shame that the evening had to be brought down by a waiter who clearly seemed to feel that two young women were beneath him.

Edited by sunclytie

I'd like to apologize for your service experience at Dino and want you to be assured that I will personally flogg the waiter in question! I however, loved to be bothered by two young ladies at the bar----so please let me buy you both a drink that I will make sure gets to you and that you enjoy. I will also answer any questions that you have about the menu or me, such as blond hair, blue eyes, likes dogs etc.... I look forward to showing you the experience you should have had at Dino

Dean,

Quick question for you - what was the name of the wine that was paired with the Sea Bass last night off of the $25 wine pairing menu? I really liked it and would love to find a whole bottle to enjoy sometime. Thanks so much for the great dinner last night!

Dean,

Quick question for you - what was the name of the wine that was paired with the Sea Bass last night off of the $25 wine pairing menu? I really liked it and would love to find a whole bottle to enjoy sometime. Thanks so much for the great dinner last night!

Arnoldo Caprai Grechetto "Grechante" 2003 Umbria. Grechetto is a grape native to Umbria. Caprai si a fabulous producer of more modern styled wines in Umbria, one of my two favorite wineries in the region (Paolo Bea is the other). Last night the Caprai had loads of "pumpkin pie spice" on the nose to go along with the apricot and peach fruit component. I think the 03 is a little unusual due to the extreme heat of the vintage but we will see if the 04 is similar. I don't know who carries it but it comes from Wine Partners so most any good shop should be able to special order it for you.

Dean,

Quick question for you... But first, thanks for a great meal (first at Dino but not the last!) last night with my Mom. I have to admit we were straining to hear what you and Kay ordered (assuming, of course, that you would know best) as we finished our dessert and took notes for next time!

Back to my question: Since we had a relatively late reservation (9pm) our waiter "suggested" that we order quickly because the kitchen closes at 10pm... is this really true? Not that I doubt him but since it was a Friday and we were enjoying the appetizers and didn't want to rush the meal by ordering everything at one, it was surprising that the kitchen would close so early. Can I make a request for slightly later hours?

Thanks again for a delicious meal - look forward to returning (perhaps earlier).

KJH

Dean,

Quick question for you...  But first, thanks for a great meal (first at Dino but not the last!) last night with my Mom.  I have to admit we were straining to hear what you and Kay ordered (assuming, of course, that you would know best) as we finished our dessert and took notes for next time!

Back to my question:  Since we had a relatively late reservation (9pm) our waiter "suggested" that we order quickly because the kitchen closes at 10pm... is this really true?  Not that I doubt him but since it was a Friday and we were enjoying the appetizers and didn't want to rush the meal by ordering everything at one, it was surprising that the kitchen would close so early.  Can I make a request for slightly later hours?

Thanks again for a delicious meal - look forward to returning (perhaps earlier).

KJH

I am a little confused too as we seat till 10:30 on Friday and Saturday and the kitchen is open until 11pm. This is due to our liquor license being restraicted and it is a condition from the previous owners.

I will look into why the server told you any different. We did have a new server, tall with a beard, last night. Maybe he got confused.

had dinner for the first time at Dino a couple of weeks ago. Wine list and wine were outstanding. service very good. problem entered when you ask this kitchen to cook something! I agree with a previous post about Dino being like someone's home only the part about the cooking? slicing prosciutto and salami and cheese does not a kitchen make. Calamari was just ok, a bit overcooked and on the soggy, overbattered side. sauteed greens cooked beyond recognition with tons of oil. and the whole wheat pasta with anchovies and capers...oy! Insipid oil saturated and inedible.

If you want to have nice wine and a few small plates of antipasto. great. but a skilled Italian kitchen? I don't think so.

Gosh, trufflesniffer, did you say anything to the waiter, ask for the manager, send it back...or did you just wait to post anonymously on the internet?  :lol:

Despite the anonymity, trufflesniffer brings us to an important question. Is a restaurant whose affilates are regular traffickers of this website (and promoters of their joints)... do those places have the tendency to be overrated? If I were a stranger from another city, say, from the outskirts of Boston, I would see this Dino thread atop the page day after day and think, sheesh, I HAVE TO GO to this Dino place (hoping for some sort Mario Batali spin-off based on buzz and foodie gossip), and then I'd read Sietsema's review (confusing him for some guy named Robert) and think twice.

In my opinion, yes, they are sometimes overrated. No question. Especially by regulars whose service and food might not approximate the average Joe's.

That said, if the food isn't good, why not say something while you're there? And gratuitious slams like "slicing prosciutto and salami and cheese does not a kitchen make" don't make me inclined to trust that review any more than I trust a glowing review from a regular.

Edited by Heather

In my opinion, yes, they are sometimes overrated.  No question.  Especially by regulars whose service and food might not approximate the average Joe's. 

That said, if the food isn't good, why not say something while you're there?  And gratuitious slams like "slicing prosciutto and salami and cheese does not a kitchen make" don't make me inclined to trust that review any more than I trust a glowing review from a regular.

And to speak for the other side, and not necessarily about Dino, but what good does saying anything if most of what you are served is not that good? Are you hoping that they will make it better on the next try? He stated what he liked and what he did not and why, granted a bit harshly.

On the whole I tend to agree with his review if not his delivery.

Gosh, trufflesniffer, did you say anything to the waiter, ask for the manager, send it back...or did you just wait to post anonymously on the internet?  :lol:

Complaints are part of the business. To paraphrase Lincoln: You can make some of the people happy all of the time; you make all of the people happy some of the time; but, you can't make all of the people happy all of the time.

I'm in that camp as well. My experience has been that the cheeses and meats are wonderful, as is the wine, but my luck in selecting pastas (in two cases, water-logged as if not properly drained) and main courses has been less than good.

On the whole I tend to agree with his review if not his delivery.

I'm in that camp as well.  My experience has been that the cheeses and meats are wonderful, as is the wine, but my luck in selecting pastas (in two cases, water-logged as if not properly drained) and main courses has been less than good.

Hmm, either we have been very lucky or we have been there on a night when the kitchen was spot on. However, at the risk of being labelled a syncophant or a booster, here is our latest meal at Dino.

Grover and I went on Saturday night. We managed to get a great seat at the front of the house where we could watch the comings and goings of patrons and servers. We asked Dean to pair wines with two small courses and dessert. In order:

Scamorza d'Inveron - smoked mozarella covered in breadcrumbs over a bed of garlic roasted tomatoes. This dish is served with toasted baguette. It reminded me somewhat of pizza minus the crust. The most pedestrian dish we had the whole evening.

Timbale Di Funghi - Baked mushroom tart with truffled Ricotta, served with a jug of Pomodoro Caldo. Surprisingly good mushroom tart and the Pomodoro added a very nice touch of tartness. I had to fight Grover for my half. She didn't want to give it up.

Cannelono Di Mare - Shellfish stuffed Pasta Roll. Baked and served with Pomodoro, an Italian burrito is how Grover described it. Oh that all burritos tasted this good. I have a fondness for seafood and this was very good. Plate was wiped clean.

Bistecca "Rossini" - This is a 12 oz Ribeye topped with Foie Gras and a truffle. It is served with endive stuffed with figs and gorgonzola cheese. I wish I could make my steaks taste this good. The steak was ordered medium rare and came perfectly done. The stuffed endive disappeared before I got more than a tiny taste.

We followed all of this with the Cheese course. I wish I could tell you the cheeses but I'll have to ask Dean (and about the wine pairings while I'm at it). Needless to say they were very good and a (almost) fitting end to dinner. After the cheese we decided to have just a bit more dessert.

I had the Gelato Affogato which is vanilla gelato drowned in a shot of espresso. If you read our earlier Dino adventures, you know I had the same thing then. This is really good. Grover did the encore route as well and had the balsamico with vanilla gelato once again. A very pleasant evening, the pace of dinner was excellent, the couple at the next table were very pleasant dining neighbors, the service was flawless and the wines...well, the wines were absolutely great. DINO and Dean have made us break our ususal pattern of not returning to a restaurant in at least a month. We both enjoyed dinner very much.

wow. didn't think my post would elicit this much response. been offline for a couple of days.

Truth is, we did say something and they did take the pasta back and they didn't charge us for it. If you read my post i said the service was good as well as some other aspects of Dino. Just can't "drink the kool-aid" over this restaurant if you know what i mean.

and yeah, i'm anonymous. but my name might as well be Joe Smith. it would mean just about as much. Just another guy who loves food and wine.

Truth is, we did say something and they did take the pasta back and they didn't charge us for it.  If you read my post i said the service was good as well as some other aspects of Dino.  Just can't "drink the kool-aid" over this restaurant if you know what i mean.

You just sounded like someone with an axe to grind. Glad to hear the service met your standards.

As far as "kool aid drinking", I haven't eaten there so I wouldn't know.

Im my days of living in the midst of two of LA's three Japanese communities (ie Western Avenue around Beverly and Japantown downtown), it was very common to have to "earn" your way up the ladder as a customer.  It wasn't that you got less fresh fish, you just got a lesser selection.  The best stuff was always kept out of sight and saved for special customers.  On a first visit, the service would be brusque until they realized you knew something about sushi and the cuture.  Then each succeeding visit another layer was revealed until you, if you were lucky, ate like the Japanese customers did.  The more authentic the Sushi bar, the more aurduous the process.

Is this how Dino works?

I'm willing to reach far out for new cultural experiences, but I have to draw the line somewhere!

I have to say that the mixing of languages is really very annoying. For instance at the top of the Salami menu there is a line that says "We seek out traditional, artisan producers from Italy, the USA & Spain to offer you these distinctive meats." Later we see that the goat cheeses are from Espania and Francia, the olive oils (and many other items) are from Tuscano, and other cheeses from Veneto. This has become rather cliché and as trite as a miniburger, and makes me feel like the writer is trying to demonstrate that they are cultured, but in a rather superficial way.

I have to say that the mixing of languages is really very annoying.  For instance at the top of the Salami menu there is a line that says "We seek out traditional, artisan producers from Italy, the USA & Spain to offer you these distinctive meats."  Later we see that the goat cheeses are from Espania and Francia, the olive oils (and many other items) are from Tuscano, and other cheeses from Veneto.  This has become rather cliché and as trite as a miniburger, and makes me feel like the writer is trying to demonstrate that they are cultured, but in a rather superficial way.

Many restaurants sell French goat cheeses from President or Le Coutourier or other large factories. Sometimes I even sell Jacquin, a company that has moved beyond tiny and yet still is artisan. But my heart lies with tiny producers, people who farm their own animals typically.

At the time that cheese menu was posted (it is currently out of date) we were selling a cheese made by a small growers cooperative from the South of France. The Spanish goat cheese is also a small cooperative product from a particular breed of goat (whihch I forget right now). Our prosciutto is made in a small factory with wooden racks and gravel floors that only uses refrigeration to the extend necessary by EU law (approximately 2 hours a week). Otherwise they air cool their prosciutto as it ages. Our main salumi producer is a 4 man operation in New York that does everything is small batches. It is hard to put these stories on a menu and not overwealm the reader. I feel the proof is in the eating.

There are other restaurants that use the same suppliers as we do, but they are very few and far between. But it is a fact that the cheeses and meats we buy are from some of the smallest scale operations available int he marketplace.

A coupon went out to the Dino mailing list last week. For $7, if I remember right. Some restrictions apply.

Sunday thru Wednesday, minimum purchase $20.00 before discount. Good thru March 8. Open to all Rockerilers on the list or not. Just say "Don sent me!"

Mnay restaurants sell French goat cheeses from President or Le Coutourier>  At the time that cheese menu was posted (it is currently out of date) we were selling a cheese made by a small cooperative from the South of France.  The Spanish goat cheese is also a small cooperative product from a particular breed of goat (whihch I forget right now).  Our prosciutto is made in a small factory with wooden racks and gravel floors that only uses refrigeration to the extend necessary by EU law (approximately 2 hours a week).  Otherwise they air cool their prosciutto as it ages. Our main salumi producer is a 4 man operation in New York that does everything is small batches.  It is hard to put these stories on a menu and not overwealm the reader.  I feel the proof is in the eating. 

There are other restaurants that use the same suppliers as we do, but they are very few and far between.  But it is a fact that the cheeses and meats we buy are from some of the smallest scale operations available int he marketplace.

Yeah! I think you missed the point.

I have to say that the mixing of languages is really very annoying.  For instance at the top of the Salami menu there is a line that says "We seek out traditional, artisan producers from Italy, the USA & Spain to offer you these distinctive meats."  Later we see that the goat cheeses are from Espania and Francia, the olive oils (and many other items) are from Tuscano, and other cheeses from Veneto.  This has become rather clichéd and as trite as a miniburger, and makes me feel like the writer is trying to demonstrate that they are cultured, but in a rather superficial way.

I sure hope Dean doesn't say "Tuscano" on his menu!

Went to Dino last weekend for a friends birthday dinner, and we had a fantastic time. Of course, it didn't hurt that we're good friends with a waitress there. We ordered a whole range of items and nary a disparaging word was said. A few standouts were the plate of prosciutto, which was delicate and delicious; the lasagne, which was deconstructed in a way and very flavorful with the pork, veal and bacon; and the tomato and bread soup, which was nice and hearty.

I look forward to going back.

Had a lovely time at Dino tonight. It was quiet and Dean seemed to be taking a night off , but his staff was oustanding. For a "comfortable, casual setting" the service could not have been better.

As always, the crostini were great, the wine was as good a value as can be found (we tried 4 different glasses and each was very good), and the cheese plate was a fantastic mix of milks, firmnesses, and ages.

We particularly enjoyed and would highly recommend the gorgonzola pasta. The gorgonzola was sparringly applied and not visible at all, but the flavor was delicious in combination with the pasta, mushrooms, walnuts, pears and truffle oil.

Both the rosso and the white from Piedmont were matched the pasta very well and were outstanding values.

Thank you Dean and staff!

We are adding a Friday night "BBB" happy hour at Dino. Arrive by 6:30 and you can have an appetizer plate designed to go along with one of our "BBB" selections: Brunello, Barolo or Barbaresco. The wine will always be off our list and not otherwise available by the glass. They will retail on the list for $75 and up. You get both the appetizer selection and the 3 oz ombra for $20.00. The wine and food selections will vary from week to week.

This week's selection included 2 bruschette (mushroom & prosciutto, wild boar), 28 month old provolone (unless I get in something better this week) and some salame di Genoa. The wines available are either a Marcarini 2001 La Serra Barolo or a Moccagatta 01 Barbaresco.

Hope to see you at Dino Friday between 5 and 6:30pm!

I am absolutely not trying to start any kind of flame war here but I must say our meal last night was pretty disappointing. Our server was very sweet but basically clueless ex. what kind of sauasage is in the prawn pasta- "Italian" . She had no knowledge of the wines and finally another waiter came over to assist and after the initial greeting left us for quite a while before reappearing; as the restaurant wasn't that full this was hard to understand. None of the food was very interesting except for the wild boar pasta and all the seafood was far from fresh and, in the case of the shrimp, overcooked. Most items were luke warm at best. The polenta and mushroom dish that I ordered as a half-size starter, while generous in portion, was ill conceived as the polenta was basically mush. My wife said the cheese plate she had tasted dry and basically flavorless. Good things-The olive oil on the table was excellent, fabulous wine list and very well priced. We enjoyed all the wines we ordered. Michael was great and told us he has been banned here for telling people to make their own judgements???

Anyway, we still had a fun evening but I really can't recommend Dino for the food. The other two folks with us are real foodies with extensive experience in the industry and they concurred with my opinions.

Interesting how different two peoples' experiences can be in the same restaurant on the same night. We clearly had different servers and I'm sorry your party wasn't as lucky as we were.

Dino hasn't been perfect in the times I've been (IMHO, the wines, cheese, meats & crostini are outstanding, while the pastas & fish less consistent) but I remain a big fan and my experience last night was my best yet.

I think its important to keep in mind that different restaurants have different aims. Dino, in particular, lists its goal on its website. Spawned by the proprietors love of small family style wine bars & restaurants in Italy with very good reasonably priced wine and noting the absence of such establishments, Dino does not purport to challenge the Citronelle, Maestro, Obelisk elite, but simply states "Our desire is for you to enjoy our authentic foods and wines in a comfortable, casual setting." I for one am very grateful and think that Dino insightfully spotted a real glaring hole in the DC dining scene. Maybe I'm just on a tigheter budget than most, but I think Dino is the perfect spot for someone who loves food and splurges for a fancy meal on occassion, but wants to have good product at a more affordable price on a regular basis.

Very curious to know what varieties of cheese were ordered.

I'll ask her if she remembers.

"but wants to have good product at a more affordable price on a regular basis".

I have no problems with the food pricing just the quality.

That's so interesting.  Cheese and wine have never let me down at Dino (although pastas have).  I have found the cheeses to be rather exceptional for the price though I'm no expert.

I'd agree with that too, at least the part about the cheese. It's important to read the description of the cheeses too when ordering because they'll tell you what the texture will be like.

The comment about the polenta is surprising as well. I've had the polenta a couple times, and it's made like any other polenta I've ever had. The menu is quite specific about it being a creamy polenta too. If someone is expecting it to be more like a polenta cake, they wont be happy.

I'm very curious who this Michael is. <_<

Obviously, because this is our profession we tend to take umbrage with some peoples opinions and postings who have little knowlegde of the restaurant industry. I am not saying people aren't entitled to their opinions-in fact I like to know what did or didn't work for someone-it's good feedback and allows us to correct a problem if one exists. However, sometimes it's just that -an opinion that has little basis or education behind it.

So what you're saying is that mr food's critcisms are obviously a product of his lack of knowledge?

So what you're saying is that mr food's critcisms are obviously a product of his lack of knowledge?

No, not at all. Obviously he didn't have a good experience and that bothers me. I am sorry we let him down and hope we can give him a better one if he gives us another chance. I am saying that some people, no one in particular, make statements about food or drink that are ill informed and lack kwowledge. It's like saying Pizza hut has the best crust as compared to a thin wood fired pizza crust. It's totally subjective, but because its different from what they are used to, they make assumptions based on limited experiences. Bottom line it comes to different people, different opinions.

No, not at all. Obviously he didn't have a good experience and that bothers me. I am sorry we let him down and hope we can give him a better one if he gives us another chance. I am saying that some people, no one in particular, make statements about food or drink that are ill informed and lack kwowledge. It's like saying Pizza hut has the best crust as compared to a thin wood fired pizza crust. It's totally subjective, but because its different from what they are used to, they make assumptions based on limited experiences. Bottom line it comes to different people, different opinions.

Your reply encourages me to return again, and I look forward to a better food and service experience next time.

I mentioned this on the wine board as well....

We ahve changed and enlarged our wine madness program. Thru April 19, on Monday Tuesday or Weednesday we are offering 33% off on wines over $50 a bottle. The only restriction is a $20 per person food minimum.

I stopped by Dino last night for wine & cheese with a friend and ended up having a full meal.

Hits

- Mushroom and prosciutto crostini

I'm not a big mushroom fan, but when they're all chopped up like this? Delicious.

- Sliced sirloin with roasted potatoes

The steak was more well done than I would have liked (I asked for medium rare to medium depending on the chef's definition, but got medium well), but still full of flavor. I'm eating the leftovers of this entree now - probably a bad idea given the garlic and that I'm heading to a party shortly. <_< Bring on the Mint Assure!

- Lasagnette

Truly delicious last night (not to mention rich). Perhaps past experiences have been off nights? Dunno.

- My friend's gorgonzola pasta

Much, much lighter than I would have expected which is good given that the portion is HUGE.

- Cheeses

We had three including a robiola that had been aged while wrapped in cauliflower leaf. Fantastic stuff, as always.

- Wines

Whatever Chris poured, it was great.

- Friendly staff

Thanks to Chris and Michael!

Neither Hit Nor Miss

- Spinach salad with apples, goat cheese and walnuts

It was fine, and there was a ton of spinach, but I didn't find it all that exciting. Great goat cheese, which I expected.

Misses

My beloved salsa asiago crostino is gone. I understand keeping the menu fresh and all, but I can't support this change. Also, the new crostino (crostini?) of celery root is terribly bland. We didn't finish it. The new fennel didn't appeal to either of us in description so we didn't try it.

BRING IT BACK, DEAN! <please?>