Proof, Capital One Arena, Chef George Rodrigues Replaces Austin Fausett, Who Replaced Ben Schramm, Who Replaced Haidar Kharoum, Etc. - Closed Feb 2, 2019

Are these the wines that will be coming out of the machine:

Wine will include vertical vintages of California wines Screaming Eagle, Bryant Family and Harlan Estates, Bordeaux stalwarts Château Latour, Château Pétrus and Château Haut-Brion as well as Rhone varietals, particularly Châteauneuf-du-Pape.

If so, get ready for a cash-ectomy.

Thanks for clearing that up Mark. So this sounds similar to the (excellent) system used at Sonoma. For me, the most important thing about this isn't the push-button pours; it's that the reds tend to be served at the proper temperature. Also, the bottle isn't repeatedly tilted so any fine sediment remains at the bottom, right?

Cheers,

Rocks.

You are correct on all counts Don. Don't hold me to this but I believe Sonoma uses a "Winekeeper" preservation system. That and the very similar "Cruvinet" are both excellent systems made in the States and, along with the "Verre de Vin" (a supercharged commercial version of the VacuVin), they dominate the wine preservation/dispenser market. Enomatic is an Italian made system, and is patterned after the Winekeeper and Cruvinet. Besides the Italian styling and somewhat more advanced mechanical fittings, the main difference is that it does not work off of a spigot, but rather can be programmed for up to 3 premeasured push button pours. The system was introduced in the U.S by a wine store in the Bay Area called Vino Venue, and I'm familiar with other "retail" installations at the Union Square wine shop in NYC and at a few Whole Foods, including the one in Fair Lakes - in each of those they do use a fare card.

OK, they were supposed to open in March. Then, they were supposed to open May 25 (aka today!). Now - their website says June and after a walk-by today, it isn't looking promisng. What's the real issue going on here? It's been well over a year in the making... Come on guys! Open already - the neighborhood is crying (OK, maybe just me) for good wine and a mature atmosphere without a velvet rope (yeah, I dissed your neighbor on G St. What of it?).

Signed,

Your wanna be biggest fan

DC guvment can be really difficult as far as permits and things - they'll hold you up at every possible turn, especially for restaurants and food-businesses. And when you're building a restaurant from the ground up, basically starting from scratch, there are a million pieces and parts that can hold you up too.

Looks close to ready. I walked by today and the brown paper is off the windows and tables and chairs are on the floor. Saw a number of contractors and guys with tape measures on their belts, however. Looks like opening may be down to days or weeks rather than months. Anxious to try it.

I have a 7:30 reservation tonight at proof. Looking forward to it. We've waited long enough. I am also going to checkout Bar Louis (sp?) also opening tonight in the Gallery Place complex. This is a sports bar, party of a small chain (based in Chicago I think).

I have a 7:30 reservation tonight at proof. Looking forward to it. We've waited long enough. I am also going to checkout Bar Louis (sp?) also opening tonight in the Gallery Place complex. This is a sports bar, party of a small chain (based in Chicago I think).
Welcome, jordanu! I look forward to seeing your report on the meal.

Review of Proof Restaurant

(I recommend reading the magazine article attached to a prior post.)

We had 7:30PM reservations. A few of the tables remained empty (go now before you have to wait), but the bar area was overflowing. Nice modern décor, great mood music. We were given a booth for 4, but we were only two; that is always a treat.

They serve wine in 3 sized pours – 2 oz taste, 6 oz (normal size) and 8 oz. There are about 12 red and 12 white wines available by the glass, plus a huge vintage by the bottle book (which we didn’t touch).

We had a great time doing 2 oz tastes and 6 oz glasses. We must have tried about 10 different wines. All were very decent. The sommelier (Sebastian formerly of Rasika) is always friendly and knowledgeable. But our waitress <Sarah B> was also very good about recommendations.

Proof offers crackers served with an eggplant puree drizzled with olive oil to start. This was really good.

We started with 2 glasses and 2 tastes, plus the cheese plate. The cheese plate has great accompaniments – figs, peaches hazelnut honey, raisin bread toast crackers. We ordered 3 cheese ($12) and were all decent. The winner was the Chavelle.

We then spoke with Sebastian (who totes around a Champagne trolly) who suggested a few more wines. Good for us – we ordered 4 more tastes.

Our two favorite wines were the Burgundy (Frederic Magnien Borgogne) – very earthy and unique nose and the Shiraz Mollydooker – nice full body, but round finish.

Proof has a charcutrie selection available, plus appetizers, and only six or seven entrée selections, plus side dishes and the cheeses.

After the cheese plate – whose presentation we thought was the best we’ve had in awhile – I went with the chicken and my dining partner just had the side of green beans.

I really liked the chicken. It is a breast served sliced with baked on breadcrumbs. I loved the salsa and green sauce served with it. Not a huge serving though.

We thought the entrée selections were a bit small, although they covered a good variety – steak, two fish dishes, a chicken dish. The appetizers included two salads, but then some unconventional appetizers – fois gras, sweet breads, duck – I suppose very high brow, but nothing really popped out at me.

The bathrooms are cool too. Men’s was all black (floor, walls, ceiling, sinks, stalls, urinals) with tasteful pictures of nude women above the urinals. Also modern, automatic, sinks. The women’s room (so I hear) is all grey and hot pink with steel wash bins.

For Dessert we had the muscato (very tasty) and the toffee pudding cake with vanilla ice cream. Pretty good, but a small portion. Nothing that special, but decent. Coffee was very strong and thick - French-pressed. Seems like they used a too fine setting for the grinds. Courser grinds should be used for pressed coffee.

All in all we will be back many times. It was such a pleasure to order 10 – 12 tastes and find wine that we really liked (we are going to order bottles of the two identified above on the Internet). I look forward to more fun tasting sessions at this restaurant and will be back just for the fantastic cheese plate.

We chatted with the owner (see the article) after and he was very friendly and enthusiastic about Proof. He showed us the wine cellar and explained how he got the art from the portrait gallery to be displayed on his flat screen TV’s over the bar.

Look forward to hearing other diner’s thoughts about the appetizers and entrees we didn’t try.

Waitman and I stopped by today after the Shakespeare Theatre. Lovely space, great wine list, and a charcuterie plate worth ordering again. It was great talking to Sebastian, and his recommendation (a Rhone-like blend from the winery he worked at) was spot-on, even for a couple of self-described Burgundy whores.

I can't speak to the men's room, as Waitman refused to sneak me in, but the wallpaper in the ladies room is very amusing.

ETA: Waitman got to eat his words too. Apparently they went down pretty easily. ;)

Washingtonian's Best Bites gave a nice write up to Proof. Apparently the sablefish is well loved in-house as well:

When asked their favorite dish, Kuller and sommelier Sebastian Zutant (who has overseen the wine at both Komi and Rasika) both rave about Karoum's sablefish—a hit from his days at Asia Nora that he's tweaked for Proof.

As for the decor, critic Sara Levine agrees with jordanu:

in the mens' room, there's an arty black-and-white nude that takes up an entire wall

proofmensroomzb2.jpg

That's a lot more tasteful than I was imagining. ;)

Another note on the decor - the walnut floor is pretty but very slick. I almost wiped out in little heels on the way to the ladies. 4 inch spikes might not be advised until the floor sees some wear.

The route to the bathrooms leads right past the cheese station, and they had a very nice looking selection. Anyone know who they're buying from?

Waitman and I stopped by today after the Shakespeare Theatre. Lovely space, great wine list, and a charcuterie plate worth ordering again. It was great talking to Sebastian, and his recommendation (a Rhone-like blend from the winery he worked at) was spot-on, even for a couple of self-described Burgundy whores.

I can't speak to the men's room, as Waitman refused to sneak me in, but the wallpaper in the ladies room is very amusing.

ETA: Waitman got to eat his words too. Apparently they went down pretty easily. ;)

As we did not sample anything more complex than the cured meats and we decided against the Harlan Estates Cabernet, Sebastian's hair proved (proofed?) the highlight of the afternoon, with the excellent Pinot he recommended a strong runner up. A very bright and pleasant spot to quaff a glass of wine, with excellent and professional staff. More anon.

The route to the bathrooms leads right past the cheese station, and they had a very nice looking selection. Anyone know who they're buying from?

The Best Bites writeup indicates their cheese is from Cowgirl Creamery "as much as possible", but not sure how much is that much.

Sebastian has very kindly reminded me that we drank the Peloton, from Tandem. It's blend of pinot, zinfandel, syrah, gewurtzraminer, and more that I am forgetting. He describes it as "lush and sexy," and he's right. It was about $50.

We had an excellent meal at Proof this past saturday. Highlights included an excellent cheese course - with a staff member taking the time to determine which cheeses were pasteurized and which were not, at the request of a pregnant friend. The staff apparently had not had the "pasteurized" question asked before, which is completely understandable, and went out of their way to be accomodating. We also had the burrata and speck dish along with the other cheeses - the only comment here was that the flavor of the speck overpowered the burrata.

First courses were tuna tartare, gnocchi, and meatballs. The meatballs were the winner, although all of the first courses were very good. In fact, I think a great meal could be had by two people splitting an order of each first...

Seconds were sablefish (x2), hangar steak, and salmon. The sablefish were fantastic! Clearly the best dish of the second courses, although the hangar steak and salmon arrived beautifully cooked and well seasoned. Portion sizes also seemed to be larger for the sablefish, IIRC.

All in all, the food was excellent, the service was friendly and accomodating, and the wine service (Deutz NV Champagne and a Anne Gros Burgundy) was impeccable. The list is very balanced, not too "New Worldy", which is a welcome relief from 15+% abv monoliths. We can't wait to return.

Also, the bar was PACKED from about 8pm onwards - seems like the word has already gotten out about Proof, which is great!

I have been eager to return since I attended mock service, but weekend reservations are tough to come by! Good for them. Oh, Komi's loss is Proof's gain--one of Komi's best servers (I'm blanking on her name) took care of us during mock service.

I have been eager to return since I attended mock service, but weekend reservations are tough to come by! Good for them. Oh, Komi's loss is Proof's gain--one of Komi's best servers (I'm blanking on her name) took care of us during mock service.

Are you thinking of Anna?

I also noticed my favorite waitress from Komi was here on my recent visit, I wished she had waited on us. I don't recall here name, but the sablefish and those meatballs were pretty good. My wife thought here salmon was a bit overcooked, but still enjoyable.

After two meals at Proof (including one during mock service), these are my initial takeaways:

1. Make the portions a little larger. Please? On Friday night, my two friends and I ordered what we thought was a lot of food, but an hour later, I was hungry.

2. Somehow I have managed to miss out on both the cheese selections AND the Champagne cart. B) I need to be more focused and assertive on my next trip, speaking up about both of these matters.

3. Damn it's a popular place! I booked our table for three at 8:30 on a Friday two weeks in advance. While I wish the restaurant tremendous success (note: my friend Mark is the owner), I do hope it gets easier to get a table.

What we ate: salumi tasting, gnocchi with sweet corn and mushrooms (always order gnocchi! never share!), two baskets of the delicious housemade crackers with garlic spread, those three tremendous meatballs spaced by two rich and delicious goat cheese agnolotti...surely I'm forgetting something. I would order any of these things again; I just regret having to share the dishes because just a bite or two isn't enough for me.

For entrees, we had the sablefish, pork tenderloin and hanger steak. As many of you know, I'm not a seafood lover, but I did try the sablefish and it was good. I was surprised by its mild flavor and tender, yet firm, flesh. The pork tenderloin had good flavor, but wasn't as tender as I would have hoped. My hangar steak, ordered medium rare, was closer to rare in a few spots, but the flavor was wonderful so I had no issue with the temperature. I ate every last bite of the buttery greens and crisp, salted potato sticks too.

Desserts at meal #2 were really delectable. I went for the blueberry cobbler and just loved it. I also tasted my friend's goat cheesecake and it was a wonderful combination of tangy/tart goat cheese and sweet crumb topping.

We drank wine, oodles of wine. Mark would have to remind me of the details of what we drank because I left feeling somewhat sloshed. :angry:

We drank wine, oodles of wine. Mark would have to remind me of the details of what we drank because I left feeling somewhat sloshed. :angry:

Did you happen to sample the Ramey Chard (Hyde?) that was offered to two naive young ladies next to me for $30 (they were told that it should have been $40) a glass? B)

It was actually the 2003 Ramey Ritchie Vineyard Chard (95 RP and stellar) - our cost is $65. They preferred a style different than the Montelena we were pouring by the glass (which they had just consumed) and I offered to open a bottle from the list even though they were only going to drink a glass apiece. I described the wine, cleared the price with them, and poured 1/2 the bottle in those 2 glasses. Naive or not, they were not taken advantage of in the least.

Did you happen to sample the Ramey Chard (Hyde?) that was offered to two naive young ladies next to me for $30 (they were told that it should have been $40) a glass? :angry:

Jen, you must have been sloshed because the complete cheese selections appear on the regular menu and again on the dessert menu, Our waitstaff is instructed to ask whether you would like the trolley to visit your table immediately after greeting the table - obviously they failed to do so and I apologize for that. Next time I promise that Sebastian or Ben will wheel over the trolley without prompting. We very much appreciate your comments though I can't say I share your hope that tables prove easier to come by.

After two meals at Proof (including one during mock service), these are my initial takeaways:

1. Make the portions a little larger. Please? On Friday night, my two friends and I ordered what we thought was a lot of food, but an hour later, I was hungry.

2. Somehow I have managed to miss out on both the cheese selections AND the Champagne cart. B) I need to be more focused and assertive on my next trip, speaking up about both of these matters.

3. Damn it's a popular place! I booked our table for three at 8:30 on a Friday two weeks in advance. While I wish the restaurant tremendous success (note: my friend Mark is the owner), I do hope it gets easier to get a table.

What we ate: salumi tasting, gnocchi with sweet corn and mushrooms (always order gnocchi! never share!), two baskets of the delicious housemade crackers with garlic spread, those three tremendous meatballs spaced by two rich and delicious goat cheese agnolotti...surely I'm forgetting something. I would order any of these things again; I just regret having to share the dishes because just a bite or two isn't enough for me.

For entrees, we had the sablefish, pork tenderloin and hanger steak. As many of you know, I'm not a seafood lover, but I did try the sablefish and it was good. I was surprised by its mild flavor and tender, yet firm, flesh. The pork tenderloin had good flavor, but wasn't as tender as I would have hoped. My hangar steak, ordered medium rare, was closer to rare in a few spots, but the flavor was wonderful so I had no issue with the temperature. I ate every last bite of the buttery greens and crisp, salted potato sticks too.

Desserts at meal #2 were really delectable. I went for the blueberry cobbler and just loved it. I also tasted my friend's goat cheesecake and it was a wonderful combination of tangy/tart goat cheese and sweet crumb topping.

Generally a lurker but since I've was taunting Proof to "Please, dear lord OPEN ALREADY!" this spring.... It's only fair to post my first impressions from dinner last night.

First - Mark, clearly you'll have to expand the bar soon! Good lord, it was packed from the moment we walked in at 9pm to when we left at 12am. Love it!

Second - Awesome. Yummy. We did a selection of 3 cheeses --one from each section and the only one I recall is the Mt. Tam but the other two were equally interesting and delicious. We shared the mushroom/corn gnocchi. A huge mistake - I want it all to myself next time. Also shared both the salmon and ricotta flatbreads, the tuna tartar and the meatballs. I didn't love the meatballs but they were tasty. I'd probably try something different next time. Everything else is definitely a must-try.

Third - The wine was wonderful. Loved being able to try several different types/tastes (Salice Salentino, Pino Noir and ... one that I have already forgotten - drat!) and have knowledgeable folks help me choose. Which leads me to...

Fourth - Our server, Sarah (Sara?), was great! Very knowledgeable and friendly - she definitely guided us through the menu and the evening. We didn't have a chance to meet the famous Sebastian this time but then, we were ordering by the glass and --if I'm being honest-- the idea of a somelier approaching my table actually terrifies me. (I don't know enough! He'll sense fear!) Yeah, I'm working on those issues.

In closing, it was a wonderful evening and I cannot wait to return. I keep hoping to make my permenant perch in a corner at the bar but I guess I should just be happy that Proof is such a success in my 'hood. I guess I wasn't alone in anxiously awaiting its arrival!

Welcome to the neighborhood Proof. See you soon!

K

We had a just lovely meal at Proof last night. We started with the spicy almonds from the charcuterie menus -- delicious!!! I then had the tomato salad and Tripewriter the green bean salad -- both good, and we were both tickled by the miniature tomatoes included on our plates :angry:. Tripewriter then had the beef sashimi, which delighted him (and me!). I ignored all advice and had the meatballs, which were very good, but also ordinary. Perhaps with a different sauce? Or maybe with Tripewriter in the house I'm being spoiled with lots of fresh tomato sauces B) We then both had the halibut, which was perfect. For dessert, Tripewriter had the chocolate cake and I had the sticky toffee pudding. Yum. We also had the Peloton from Tandem, which suited us just fine, having already almost finished our first case (of the pinot noir) at home and almost ready to get something new -- I think we've found it. Even the coffee was good -- which is something I rarely say (I don't necessarily like coffee -- just the cream and sugar part -- though I think the one we get at Eve could almost turn me...Proof's blend is the only one I've ever found even close to Eve's blend). I would only recommend that they start heating the cream so that it's not icy cold. We will be back -- and have actually already made our next reservations.

Now I know where all of the beautiful people hangout, I certainly brought down the looks of the clientele. But they served me nonetheless. I decided to start with the sweetbreads, they were served with spinach, dates, lardoons of bacon, and mashed potatoes. This was a beautifully executed dish. The only thing that distracted from it was the overly chewy bacon, it had a nice smoky flavor, but it had a gristly texture. The sommelier recommended a class of sauternes with the dish, but I took the less sweet white option, and I was happy for it. The dates provided plenty of sweetness to counter the richness of the sweetbreads. Even with the problematic bacon, I would highly recommend this dish.

For a main I went with the leg of lamb with a tomato salad. This was quite good, I cannot say that there was any fault in this dish. The only issue with the tomato sauce was that I was so floored by the tomatoes at Palena last night that nothing would be able to stand up to comparison.

Am looking forward to my first visit to Proof this evening. I know that I am going to order the gnocchi and I am not sharing :angry: ! Not sure what else I am going to eat, but I have read through this thread for inspiration.

Are there any good white wines to recommend? The wines talked about here tend to skew red.

Yes its "real," albeit domestic. When we have it, which isn't every day, it is from the Gioia Cheese company in El Monte, California - same as that served at A16 in San Francisco and Mozza in Los Angeles.

Is that *real* burrata on the menu? Really really?? :angry:

I finally tried Proof this weekend, and it was amazingly good!

The highlights were the terrine, sweetbreads, gnocci and sablefish, although everything that we tried was very good. I would probably skip dessert next time though, especially if I had already eaten as much as I had this time (we each chose three pre--dessert courses, and I don't think that a bite was left of any dish).

Service was phenomenol, and Sebastian was kind enough to pair each dish with a perfectly matched wine! I would love to frequent this place; if it had only opened at a more convenient time for me . . .

We had a lovely time at Proof on Friday night. First of all, I loved the space. The crowd was indeed very good looking as someone reported above.

The crackers that begin the meal are addictive. The dip that accompanied them tasted to me like tzatziki sauce. Shared the flatbread to start. This one came topped with ricotta (maybe they were out of burrata?) and arugula. Regardless, the ricotta was delicious and very creamy. The flatbread was interesting. I was trying to figure out what it tasted like to me and it finally came to me: a crumpet! May sound strange, but that is what it tasted like to me.

I did order the gnocchi and I must admit, I was not wowed. Perhaps my expectations were too high. I found the texture to be great, light and airy. But the dish just seemed a bit bland IMO. I don't know what I would add to it, but in my mind, it just needed a little something more.

Had a bite of the chicken and thought it was wonderful. Maybe next time I will order that.

I passed on dessert but others at the table raved about the sticky toffee pudding. The goat cheesecake was loved by one, and not so much by another.

I look forward to returning. This is definitely a place I would like to hang out and try many different wines.

I read all the reviews and can't wait to visit Proof next week. The online menu doesn't reference a wine list or the wines served by the glass. For those who've already been, what are the prices for the wines by the glass/ounce?

The Enomatic system at Enoteca at Whole Foods is quite an idea. Of course there's is self serve with new glasses for each pour if you like....but ohh what a concept. Sipping $200, $300 or even $600 wines by the ounce is quite a noble concept. If Proof can extend that idea they could really be a step ahead.

There was also talk about Proof and possibly Sonoma as the only places with Enomatic. I think Grapeseed and Comus Inn in Maryland both have them.

I had a lovely dinner at Proof last night. I have had a taste of almost everything on the menu now, and I must say that the chicken (yes, chicken) is one of the best put together dishes on the menu. Gnocchi with roasted corn was another highlight.

The staff and management are as friendly as can be, and I look forward to going in SOON! Thank you and keep up the good work!

I had a lovely dinner at Proof last night. I have had a taste of almost everything on the menu now, and I must say that the chicken (yes, chicken) is one of the best put together dishes on the menu. Gnocchi with roasted corn was another highlight.

The staff and management are as friendly as can be, and I look forward to going in SOON! Thank you and keep up the good work!

Congratulations guys on a great review . I had the chicken and really liked it too. So did Tom.