Proof, Capital One Arena, Chef George Rodrigues Replaces Austin Fausett, Who Replaced Ben Schramm, Who Replaced Haidar Kharoum, Etc. - Closed Feb 2, 2019

Stopped by for a quick lunch at the bar with my mom who was taking the day off from A&J to run some errands in DC. $12 for an entree (5-6 choices I think) and a glass of house red or white is quite the steal. I enjoyed my shrimp burger, basically a banh mi on brioche bun instead of baguette and using panko fried shrimp instead of pork. I really like how Chef Karoum uses Asian flavors subtly, not in that hit you over the head HELLOOOO THIS IS FUSION-style. I love the gnocchi here so for partially selfish reasons encouraged my mom to get it :( luckily, she loved it too. If only all restaurants could make gnocchi like Proof and Palena. We split the sticky toffee cake for dessert, it was a bit too sweet for my taste by itself but with some coffee it was perfect. Can't wait to get back here for lunch to try some of the other choices!

Sauteed Yukon Gold Gnocchi wild mushrooms, sweet corn, green beans, parmesan ($12): These gnocchi are ridiculous. I'd been planning on ordering the cauliflower soup to start, but they were out, so I went ahead and got them, and I'm so glad I did. Nicely seared on the outside, but super soft and pillowy. I think the corn makes the dish, since its sweetness coupled with the salty parmesan and the buttery sauce (which there thankfully wasn't a massive pool of;the saucing was perfect)was just an awesome combination.

Proof Shrimp Burger shaved cucumber, jalapeno, cilantro, pickled daikon, & carrots ($12): At $12 a piece, I couldn't help but pick another dish off the lunch crush menu. The shrimp burger is awesome, though definitely too small to be a lunch on its own. What really impressed me was the solidity of the shrimp patty: each bite is like biting into a giant fried shrimp, rather than a mashed/ground mass of ambiguous seafood. It was fried really well, and the shaved vegetables over top added a nice freshness. I could have used a bit more jalapeno though, because the few bites where I picked up on its heat were the best - maybe some of the jalapeno mayo from the Wagyu Steak & Cheese would be a good addition.

Knowing that Proof's lunch deal exists is dangerous; I may have to schedule my classes next semester in such a way as to purposely block myself from being able to get lunch there on the way to my internship.

(Edited following my decision that 1 lunch wasn't quite enough)

Our final "real" meal in DC was dinner at Proof on Sunday night. We made a reservation for 7 PM, but when we got to the restaurant, we cancelled our table in favor of two seats at the bar. All of the staff took great care of us, but there was just something missing--it wasn't the restaurant's fault, but I guess I'm so used to the Friday/Saturday night Proof that the Sunday night Proof was a little too subdued and quiet for my liking.

We started with the pumpkin and chestnut soup with smoked duck, and the abalone ceviche. The soup had wonderful flavor and texture, though I found it to be a touch undersalted. The duck was a really nice touch and gave the dish just a smidge of lovely smokiness. I didn't want to order ceviche--not exactly "comfort food" on a 15 degree day--but it turned out to be a really tasty dish. There was a lot going on, but everything was nicely balanced. Next, we ordered the foie and the sweetbreads. If I had to choose between my husband and that foie, it would be a really tough choice--it was decadent and fabulous, and I probably should have ordered another plate of it for dessert. We also really enjoyed the sweetbreads, which were perfectly cooked and seasoned. Appetizers just always blow me away at Proof.

For entrees, Jason opted for the duck breast, which was cooked to a perfect medium rare. The rub/crust was really tasty, and the fruit-based (cherry?) sauce that accompanied the meat and the yam puree was beautiful. The plate was literally licked clean (in a classy way, of course). I ordered the roasted chicken breast stuffed with goat cheese and mushrooms, and served with rapini and polenta. Other than a bit too much red pepper flake in the sauteed rapini, the dish was really nice--very warm and comforting.

We ordered the chocolate bread pudding, and it didn't really do anything for me--the flavor was okay, but it was a lot softer than I prefer bread pudding to be, and I wish that the raspberry component (a sauce pooled on one side of the plate) would have somehow been incorporated into the bread pudding itself. The accompanying ice cream was delicious, and the cookie plate that we doggie bagged and enjoyed on the plane ride home was really nice (I particularly enjoyed the meringues, while Jason loved the chocolate covered nut cluster). Recommended wines and cocktails were right on the money, and as mentioned previously, service was exactly what I expect from Proof.

Thanks to all for sending us off in such style--can't wait for our next trip back!

as mentioned previously, service was exactly what I expect from Proof.

Sadly, my experience on Saturday left a little to be desired in terms of service -- which I can't believe I'm saying, because the service at Proof has always been wonderful. It just seemed like our server forgot we were there and didn't really have any interest in us -- we didn't see him for a good ten minutes after being seated, and while I appreciated the time with the cocktail menu and wine list, I really wanted a glass of water. In the high-backed booths it can be hard to see someone to flag them down, and it wasn't a desperate situation, so at a little after seven on a Saturday night of a holiday-ish weekend, I didn't really want to ascribe too much to it. Sadly it was a theme throughout the night; it really just felt like we had fallen off his radar when we couldn't find him to get another drink, or to get the check. (To be fair, at the end of the meal my friend was Googling a movie on her cell phone for after dinner, so perhaps we looked as though we weren't ready to leave; but I had my eye out for the server and I couldn't find him, even after all plates, glasses, and tableware had been cleared.)

My friend was also mildly upset that, after noting on the reservation and twice when we arrived that it was my birthday, there was no acknowledgement of that. Personally, I don't really need a candle on my dessert (see below), but she came in from New Mexico (via NYC) to celebrate with me and I think she wanted it on my behalf. :angry:

Thankfully, the food essentially made up for the service issue. The soy-glazed pork belly confit remains one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten -- crispy and silky, sweet and salty, on a bed of spicy jicama-based (I believe) slaw -- and the ahi tuna tartare was an expertly seasoned and spice-balanced version, one of the best executions of this dish I've tasted in a long time. And Mr. M declared one of the citrus-marinated olives "the best olive I have ever eaten" and may have become an olive-liker, for which his father will do a dance of joy. We also shared the tempura of chanterelle, shiitake, and hen-of-the-woods mushrooms, which were slightly undersalted -- rightly so, because the truffled soy dipping sauce made up for it, and really brought each little crunchy bite of mushroom into focus. The duck breast was, as for bettyjoan's husband, perfectly cooked and seasoned (and I think the fruit was pomegranate), and I happened to love how the oniony bite of the grilled scallions offset the sweetness of the honey glaze and yam puree. My friend thought the miso-glazed sablefish was the best meal she'd had this holiday season. Mr. M had the pork loin which he pronounced excellent, juicy and tender, although he also decided he just isn't as big a risotto person as he thought.

Oh, and my dessert referenced above: honeyed goats cheesecake, by the way, with passionfruit sauce, and it was lovely, rich yet light and tangy and a wonderful end to the meal. My friend had the sticky toffee pudding; I have a feeling her next visit to DC is going to involve a repeat visit just for that dessert.

All in all, the meal was exactly what I had hoped for a birthday dinner, with the (not bad, just oddly inattentive) service being the only slight blip on the radar.

Sadly, my experience on Saturday left a little to be desired in terms of service -- which I can't believe I'm saying, because the service at Proof has always been wonderful. It just seemed like our server forgot we were there and didn't really have any interest in us -- we didn't see him for a good ten minutes after being seated, and while I appreciated the time with the cocktail menu and wine list, I really wanted a glass of water. In the high-backed booths it can be hard to see someone to flag them down, and it wasn't a desperate situation, so at a little after seven on a Saturday night of a holiday-ish weekend, I didn't really want to ascribe too much to it. Sadly it was a theme throughout the night; it really just felt like we had fallen off his radar when we couldn't find him to get another drink, or to get the check. (To be fair, at the end of the meal my friend was Googling a movie on her cell phone for after dinner, so perhaps we looked as though we weren't ready to leave; but I had my eye out for the server and I couldn't find him, even after all plates, glasses, and tableware had been cleared.)

My friend was also mildly upset that, after noting on the reservation and twice when we arrived that it was my birthday, there was no acknowledgement of that. Personally, I don't really need a candle on my dessert (see below), but she came in from New Mexico (via NYC) to celebrate with me and I think she wanted it on my behalf. :angry:

All in all, the meal was exactly what I had hoped for a birthday dinner, with the (not bad, just oddly inattentive) service being the only slight blip on the radar.

I apologize for our service missteps on Saturday, and for not acknowledging your birthday. Our policy is not to do anything, candle or otherwise, unless a request is expressly made in advance (simply noting it is a birthday does not translate to a candle request per my instructions). I reviewed the record and there was no such request indicated, but if it was in fact made I also apologize for our failure to properly execute.

I have identified the server and plan to speak to him this evening. He is a fine and trusted server who has been with us since day 1 - this is the first complaint i have fielded about him in 2 1/2 years so I am prone to view this as an aberration. Regardless of his unblemished history or what he has to say, the bottom line is that his shortcomings Saturday night adversely affected your experience. For that i am very sorry.

I truly appreciate the post and the detailed feedback on your evening. I know it was not made for the purpose of currying a freebe but I hope you will let me know when you next visit so i can buy you a glass of champagne as a small token of our contrition. Yours, Mark Kuller

I truly appreciate the post and the detailed feedback on your evening. I know it was not made for the purpose of currying a freebe but I hope you will let me know when you next visit so i can buy you a glass of champagne as a small token of our contrition. Yours, Mark Kuller

Mark -- thank you. Nothing of that nature is necessary; I'm sure it was a combination of a miscommunication on my friend's part at the host stand, and a busy night for the server (nothing outright wrong, as I mentioned; just less attentive than expected, based on previous experiences at Proof). Your attention to these details is more than enough recognition of two admittedly minor issues; the food and drink were as excellent as ever, and the small service inconsistency won't keep me from coming back! :angry:

To keep the discussion of Proof and birthdays going, I guess I should post about my birthday dinner last week.

Paula and I celebrated my birthday last Wednesday with a very nice dinner at Proof. I am fairly certain that she noted my birthday on the OpenTable reservation. As such, I was greeted with a "happy birthday" by the hostess. We created our own tasting menu by sharing a few appetizers to start, which the waiter brought out one at a time (per his suggestion, which was nice). We shared the grilled eggplant salad with chickpeas was a nice way to start, and was dressed lightly in a vinaigrette dressing. The Ahi Tuna Tartare was described perfectly by leleboo above. The Spicy Little Meatballs, on their own, were a little bland. However, the goat cheese agnolotti were phenomenal. I could definitely eat an entire bowl of them. I had been eyeing the Miso Glazed Sablefish on the online menu and it did not disappoint. Perfectly-cooked fish is often hard to come by, but this one was perfect. The soba noodles, baby bok choi, and the zucchini complemented the sablefish extremely well and was perfectly paired with a lovely Pinot d'Alsace. Paula had the Pan Seared Day Boat Scallops, which were terrific as well. They had a beautiful sear to them but were still tender on the inside. For dessert, I had the sticky toffee pudding (with birthday candle), and Paula had the honeyed goats cheesecake, both of which were terrific ways to end the meal.

Life has been a bit of a clusterf*&@ lately, so I was looking forward to having a nice, leisurely meal with good food and good wine, and Proof did not disappoint.

The pho inspired pate on the pate and terrine plate deserves a better write up than I can give right now. This is a perfect example of a chef having fun with his menu while putting out an excellent dish showing his skill and brilliance. It's pate that tastes like pho. You can't understand it until you try it, which if you are visiting Proof you must.

Don't miss the tempura fried green beans and mushrooms either.

Old guys at the bar you can pass on though.

Old guys at the bar you can pass on though.

;) What's the male version of a cougar? A silver fox? A rhino?

We stopped in for what we planned to be a small meal at the bar, which of course turned into a full blown ordeal after Adam got us started with his usual outstanding cocktails. I can't remember what he put in them, but he made my wife a light cocktail with Fernet Branca and honey that was perfectly matched for her taste and a bourbon heavy cocktail for me that had multiple ingredients that I can't remember but was sweetened just a tinge by apricot liqueur, a surprising addition to a well balanced cocktail. I won't go into details, but we had the beet salad and meatballs for apps, sablefish and pork loin for mains, and cheese and toffee pudding cake for dessert, all of which we polished off without blinking. So much for a quick bite at the bar!

I stopped in for lunch again today & was not quite as bowled over. The bartender was great, my wine was very tasty (the St Dominique Rhone), but the $15 Nicoise salad was very underwhelming. Greens, crisp green beans, slightly undercooked boiled egg, radishes, cucumber, croutons, and anchovies were fine. Weak points were too-salty kalamata olives (subbed for nicoise), and canned fish that tasted like ordinary water-packed "light" tuna. Some marination, or a good quality oil-packed brand would have been better. It's a decent salad but I felt it needed a little more finesse.

Desserts were really rich and satisfying this past Wednesday evening, as was company. Many thanks to Jill at the bar for introducing us to the profiteroles on the dessert menu. Not quite a traditional one, but more like cream puff crunchiness, it was still flavorful being stuffed with coconut and chocolate ice cream (2 different kinds) and drizzled with caramel (I think?). The one that really did it for me was the sticky toffee cake which was soaking-up-the-juices goodness: moist, crunchy and sticky-sweet (but in a good and not overpowering way). You might want to order these two in combo, as the profiteroles was almost a palette-cleanser/seal-the-game closer after its toffee-gooey-cousin.

leleboo finally managed to drag me away from some of my usual haunts. I was promised cake, but the cake was a lie. But that's okay. Good food was had.

I don't really have a lot of experience with sort of the honors-level cocktails that are finding their way into the trendy bars of the world; I'm more of a martini and sazerac kind of guy, but I have to say I was very impressed with everything that came my way. Unfortunately, they don't have a cocktail menu online, and I didn't bring my "I'm a douche who brings notepads to bars" notebook, so I really can't go into much more detail. Adam took my usual preference for smoky scotches with aplomb and came up with something that would appeal to my antisugared palate.

Between leleboo, GennaroE and myself we must have sampled at least 50% of the appetizer menu. Standouts included the Sweet Soy & Garlic Glazed Pork Confit ($12) - it was almost as good as the pork belly I made the other week. The tuna tartare featured ridiculously generous portions of gorgeous-looking and perfectly prepared tuna sandwiched between crispy nori cracker-things with avocado.

I almost never order chicken at a restaurant, but between GennaroE's whining and the promise of goat cheese-wild mushroom stuffing, I couldn't pass up the Roasted Organic Chicken Breast with sauteed rapini and creamy polenta ($24). Adam said it was second in the city only to Palena. It was damn good, but I'd need to eat around a bit more to make a qualified assessment. :lol:

From the moment I walked in and saw two other patrons noshing on the cheese plate (three for $13 or Six for $25 - Save $1 off!), I knew I wanted one. I had to be physically restrained from ordering it off the bat and told to wait until the end of the meal. Red Hawk ("soft, triple cream, funky, complex") was revelatory. How could I pass up the chance for some funk? The Strathdon ("earthy, pungent, rich") makes me want to move to Scotland (as if my love of Laphroaig wasn't enough already).

All in all a great way to unwind after a nightmarishly hellish day at work (we call those "weekdays"): big thanks to leleboo for getting me out and to Adam for a wonderful experience.

I don't really have a lot of experience with sort of the honors-level cocktails that are finding their way into the trendy bars of the world; I'm more of a martini and sazerac kind of guy, but I have to say I was very impressed with everything that came my way.

(Caveat: I, too, have developed a dependance on internet menus that has ruined my ability to retain information, so if I've got these wrong I'll update in the future.)

I have a deep and abiding love of Dubonnet thanks to one of my dearest friends, and Adam is mixing some crazygood Dubonnet cocktails right now. I've had the Alfonso twice now: Dubonnet, Champagne, and angostura-soaked scorched sugar cubes, with a twist. Beyond delicious: the scorched sugar gives both sweetness and bitterness to a drink that is absolutely toying with the interplay between those elements. I also tried the Post-Colonial, with Dubonnet, chartrueuse, Peychaud's, and rum; it's less sweet overall, and I have to say that this is fast on its way to becoming my favorite drink in the District. It paired wonderfully with asparagus, too.

leleboo finally managed to drag me away from some of my usual haunts. I was promised cake, but the cake was a lie.

Liar. I never promised you any cake.

My wife took me to Proof to celebrate my birthday last week and while we have always enjoyed meals there tremendously, this was our favorite visit yet. There were a number of notable new dishes on the menu – including a few that I suspect are previews for their new place, Estadio -- and some seasonal twists to old favorites.

One thing that disappoints me about Proof (and many other restaurants with tasting menus) is that the four-course tasting menu is set is stone and therefore not flexible to allow us to sample different dishes (we like to share). So we decided to make our own mini tasting menu, which turned out to be much more fun. We asked for wine pairings with our dishes, and Sebastian, challenged our palates with some innovative, spot-on pairings.

We started with the Chilled Cucumber and Avocado Soup with Maryland Blue Crab Relish. The soup itself was deliciously creamy while still light, and the fresh crab on top made each and every bite delicious. Paired with our soup was an Alsatian Pinot Gris, which was the slightest bit off dry and complemented the entire dish.

Along with our soup we sampled the Burrata with Purple Asparagus and Radishes, which was paired with an Alto Aldige Pinot Grigio. The asparagus was fresh, crisp and well seasoned, and topped with a hearty serving of creamy burrata. The radishes in the dish gave it a little bite and texture, which helped cut the creaminess of the burrata.

Next was Sweetbreads with Watercress, Celery Root, and Black Pepper-Caramel Jus. This sweetbreads here are always a winner and my wife and I can rarely turn them down, but the wine pairing made a very good dish extraordinary. Sebastian paired a taste of Maderia, which sounds like an odd choice, but with just a touch of the caramel jus on your fork it worked remarkably well. That might have been the pairing of the night -- a real homerun.

The Sablefish (missing full dish description) here has always been popular and the Chef recently shed his most recent Asian preparation for one inspired by recent jaunt around Spain. Cooked perfectly as always, the sablefish was served with a delicious sauce with an almost mole-like flavor and topped with toasted pumpkin seeds. I might have enjoyed it even more than the very popular miso-glazed version they were doing when they first opened, though I am blanking on precisely what else was served with now a few days later.

The Hanger Steak came next and like the fish was beautifully prepared and not a hint past medium rare, with a gorgeous hue of pink right throughout. Well-seasoned and tender, it was a strong last savory dish. We sampled two wines with the steak, a Mencia and a Cote de Rhone, both which worked differently but equally well.

Last was the Chocolate Hazelnut Cake, which is hard to ever pass up. Instead of a wine pairing with this course, I asked Adam to prepare me a cocktail and had the an extremely delicious whisky sour I have ever had. Thickened with the whole egg, the drink was creamy and sour-sweet at the same time. There aren’t enough places to get a great whiskey sour. I thought it was a little odd when Proof announced they were bringing Adam on board because Proof is to me such a great wine place that already had some pretty cool cocktail offerings and a lively bar scene, but I almost always get a cocktail when I go there now and his friendly, informed presence does add another element to an already impressive staff here.

Our server was new, but he did great job and made sure were happy and did not rush us in the least even though we lingered for a few hours. I wasn’t sure if Proof was a special occasion spot for us given that they don’t highlight a tasting menu they way Eve, Cityzen, Palena do, but I am sure we will find something else to celebrate at Proof again soon after what was a really outstanding birthday celebration.

The Sablefish (missing full dish description) here has always been popular and the Chef recently shed his most recent Asian preparation for one inspired by recent jaunt around Spain. Cooked perfectly as always, the sablefish was served with a delicious sauce with an almost mole-like flavor and topped with toasted pumpkin seeds. I might have enjoyed it even more than the very popular miso-glazed version they were doing when they first opened, though I am blanking on precisely what else was served with now a few days later.

It's a Romesco sauce, or if not a classic Romesco, one based on that concept. I agree that the preparation here is fabulous, and I enjoyed it as much as, if not more than, the original miso-glazed version, which I have always loved. The sauce is rich and full of flavor, with a good kick of spice, and the toasted pumpkin seeds, garbanzo beans, and roasted greens add tremendously to the complexity of the dish. But...when I finally put my fork down after scraping as much of the sauce as I could get off the plate, I was left wondering whether sablefish is really the right fish for this preparation. In the end, I think the fish is a bit too delicate, and got somewhat lost among the flavors of this dish. I think it would work better with a stronger flavored fish that can stand up better to the bold flavors on this plate.

Also, the duck confit is freakin' awesome.

It's a Romesco sauce, or if not a classic Romesco, one based on that concept. I agree that the preparation here is fabulous, ...when I finally put my fork down after scraping as much of the sauce as I could get off the plate...

This sauce is so good I went back 2 weeks later just to get the same dish. The pepper-based sauce on the branzino is also really good. They make me wish Proof had real bread to do some mopping up of the plate before it is cleared.

Can't believe I haven't written this up yet! I had a lovely dinner at Proof (with the fabulous leleboo, among others) while I was in town a couple of weeks ago. Cocktails were really good, and of course the wine suggestions were right on. As for the food, we devoured both a charcuterie board (mmmmm, pate...) AND a cheese plate, and we also ordered the excellent croquettes, the cuke and avocado soup (very refreshing), the pork confit, the lamb meatballs (which had a very yummy North African tilt), and the foie gras. I dream about the foie gras - it is so rich and sweet and decadent, I'll take it over dessert any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

leleboo, am I forgetting anything?

Our server, Ian, took great care of us - he was wonderful! Congrats to Mr. Kuller on his recent nuptials, and best wishes to the whole team for the upcoming opening of Estadio!

I really, truly wish* that Adam would stop coming up with cocktails that I love, because the Charlie Lindbergh is in the running to replace the Post Colonial as my favorite. I remember it has Plymouth gin and cocchi, with apricot and bitters, and I will update this post when I get back to check the ingredient list (I really need to start writing the ingredients in these cocktails down, because it's usually a good bet I'm going to want to rave about them).

Also, the golden beet tzatziki with the seared salmon is crazy awesome, and the creamed corn with lime is comfort food incarnate, but brightened and lightened. I told my dining companions they were welcome to tastes of the latter, although after my first bite I sort of regretted my willingness to share.

An impromptu wine tasting lesson and a sip of some perversely sour but incredible beer via durwoodx (with whom I wasn't dining but who, with ktmightve, joined us at the bar after his own meal) made this quite a night ... and now I really kind of want another Charlie Lindbergh ...

*I do not, in point of fact, wish this at all. Please, Mr. Bernbach, keep 'em coming.

A Sunday double date became a pillaging of the menu this weekend. Between the four of us we pretty well covered 40% or so of the menu and it was very, very solid. In general, however the appetizers well outshone the entrees.

Started with a pregame Plate of House Made Pates & Terrines which was great. The Pho Terrine had just been returned to the menu (so tasty with the hoisin sauce), and the Pate de Campagne and duck liver varieties were equally good. Even my wife who generally doesn't care for pates and terrines enjoyed it.

Wife and I then shared a serving of the Chilled Avocado & Cucumber Soup. The soup itself was pleasant enough (who doesn't love a chilled soup in August in DC?) but perhaps a lacked a flavor core. The shrimp chunks really outshone the soup itself, however. Excessively flavorful without any kind of fishy edge.

Everyone at the table ordered a starter. The star of the show was the Ahi Tuna Tartare. Possibly the best I have ever had. The tuna itself was remarkably good - the presentation stunning. The tuna mixed with a few chunks of avocado and was cradled within crispy pieces of nori (seaweed) tempura, which provided a great crunch against the tenderness of the fish. A very light smattering of a wasabi sauce on the plate gave it just the right amount of bite.

Pan Roasted Veal Sweetbreads were very nice. Well cooked - tender and delicate without being fatty - mixed with small pieces of bacon and halved red grapes, all topped with a perfectly poached egg. Dipping the sweetbreads in the egg = nom nom nom.

Sautéed Potato Gnocchi were light yet with a slight crust on the outside - an interesting variation. Served with ricotta, tomatoes, spinach and basil in a butter sauce that made it elegant comfort food perfection. My wife and I could have gone home happy having just this.

Roasted Beets with Pea Shoots & Kaleidoscope Carrots Beets are not really my thing. That said, the beets were very good. The aged goat cheese served with it was better. The "Kaleidoscope Carrots" were a bit underwhelming, however.

The mains were a bit less of a smash however. Probably the best of the bunch was the Vadouvan Spiced Alaskan Halibut, which had a lovely light and crispy coating and was accompanied by a simply terrific coconut-curry sauce (very Caribbean.)

The Crispy Sweet and Sour Tofu with various vegetables (sorry the notetaking was getting a bit loose by this point) was a solid entry with good presentation, but the sweet and sour aspect got a bit cloying after awhile.

My selection, the Grilled Berkshire Pork Chop, recommended by the waitress, ended up being a bit flat. To be fair, we had been warned that the chef was away that evening, but while well cooked this particular cut of meat seemed excessively fatty and grisly. It was so much work getting to good bites of meat much of the intention of the dish was lost.

We ended at the bar with a nice selection of cheeses and the cookie plate, which ranged from inspired (ah the oatmeal crispy!) to blah (chocolate chip.)

One final note - for a place that is all about wine, they have a striking beer list. The regular selections are well thought out and surprising, but the "reserve" list is astonishing (if ridiculously expensive.) It contains such near-impossible to find selections as Descutes' The Abyss, Alesmith Crand Cru, and Lost Abbey Gift of the Magi. We split a bottle a couple of Russian River gems. Damnation (the essence of what a Belgian Blond should be) and the exquisite Supplication - a belgian sour revelation.

The star of the show was the Ahi Tuna Tartare. Possibly the best I have ever had. The tuna itself was remarkably good - the presentation stunning. The tuna mixed with a few chunks of avocado and was cradled within crispy pieces of nori (seaweed) tempura, which provided a great crunch against the tenderness of the fish. A very light smattering of a wasabi sauce on the plate gave it just the right amount of bite.

We had this last night, and it was every bit as wonderful as you say. I loved the contrast of the nori to the tuna. This is now right up there with Corduroy's seared tuna with hijiki rice as my favorite fish preparation.

My selection, the Grilled Berkshire Pork Chop, recommended by the waitress, ended up being a bit flat. To be fair, we had been warned that the chef was away that evening, but while well cooked this particular cut of meat seemed excessively fatty and grisly. It was so much work getting to good bites of meat much of the intention of the dish was lost.

For whatever reason(s), my experience with the pork chop was better than yours. I enjoyed it and the balsamic-onion mixture that came with it, as well. No trouble cutting the meat. Despite having eaten plenty before getting to my pork chop, I was making great headway towards eating the whole thing, I thought. Then, after eating quite a bit, I realized there was no way I could finish it. That is one big pork chop.

We got the meal off to a good start with some cheeses (Red Hawk, Pleasant Ridge Reserve, and Pipe Dream's Ash Rind) and charcuterie (speck). I could make a whole meal out of charcuterie, cheese, and bread (and sometimes do :( ). My husband also had a bowl of gazpacho and the branzino. He was disappointed that sablefish wasn't on the menu, since he'd loved it the last time we were there, but he enjoyed the branzino just about as thoroughly.

Service was great. The lighting was back to being a bit too dim for me, though.

Estadio might be getting all the hype lately, but Proof continues to plug away (Page 4 people, really?)

Highlights included:

Sweetbreads with poached egg, bacon, grapes, spinach, mushrooms(?) - this dish is a must order.

Tuna Tartare - this dish might be trite at most restaurants but Proof does it right

Tempura veggies - mushrooms, green beans with a dipping sauce of some sort which I forget, surprisingly good

Plate of house terrines and pate - $12, really has to be one of the best deals in town

sticky toffee pudding - yum!

Sometimes, even though watching a movie is supposed to relaxing, I found myself a bit wound up after. Since I was watching at the Regal Cinema Gallery Place last night (which now has nice weekend concession coupons available online), I thought, "what better place than to sit at the bar at Proof?"

And what a grand thought indeed.

A nice bowl of the Warm fuji apples with almond crumble toppings and ice cream ($9) plus a nice glass of wine soothed the soul and calmed the senses. A tasting pour of the temperanillo currently on their by the glass menu was complementary (thank you!) and very bold, but lacked a bit of full-bodiness/depth for me. I still recommend for you all to try because it speaks a temperanillo that some sold on the retail shelves quite often lack. The dessert was AmaZing! Plenty of crumble toppings (which I prefer) and the apples were cooked just enough so that they were not mushy and had a nice chew beneath the melted ice cream coating.

With Sebastian and Adam there, Chef Haidar in the kitchen and the lovely ladies of Sara and Chris behind the bar, you will be in good hands for the evening.

A wonderful nightcap treat.

When friends of our invited us to help them spend a gift card they had received for Proof the other night we quickly scrambled and found a babysitter, lucky for us.

It has been awhile since we had been to Proof but we have vowed to return more often. Between the 4 of us we sampled a fair amount of the menu with nearly everything being a hit.

Ahi Tuna Tartare

Spiced Butternut Squash Soup

Spicy Little Meatballs

Miso Glazed Sablefish

Pan Roasted Day Boat Scallops

Cassoulet of Crispy Pork, Duck Confit & Grilled Foie Gras Sausage

Our waiter (Matt) was very patient with us as the people we were with are not very adventurous diners and trouble deciding on what to order but he did a great job explaining each item to them. We are not sophisticated wine drinkers but our waiter picked some nice bottles to match our meal.

The clear standout was the sablefish, which everyone agreed was one the best pieces of fish we had had in 2010. The Tuna was also excellent, very fresh.

Only minor complaint was the pacing - a little quick for our liking. Our apps arrived literally less than 5 minutes after we ordered and the same with our main dishes. Normally not an issue but this was the one of the few times we were out sans kids and were looking to relax a bit.

Can't wait to return.

The clear standout was the sablefish, which everyone agreed was one the best pieces of fish we had had in 2010.

That dish has been on the menu for a long time, but deservedly so. I think that's one of the best presentations of fish I've *ever* had.

In this weather I challenge you to find a better non-soup dish than the Fresh Handkerchief Pasta with Duck Ragu at Proof. A rich, flavorful dish sprinkled with pecorino and cripy bits of pancetta, this was an excellent example of something I would consider 'comfort food' but remained very refined. Haidar does a great job developing several layers of flavor in his food, and he managed to come through here as well despite it being a pasta dish, which I find typically to be one or two notes. This had the acid of the tomato sauce, the salty/fatty richness of the duck and pancetta, and the nice bite of the carefully spread pecorino along with the perfect texture of the folded pasta. This and a glass of Orin Swift's Prisoner (minor quibble; my glass was about 5-8 degrees warmer than I typically like it) really hit the spot for me on what was an otherwise pretty crappy night.

I had one of the most perfect meals I've had at Proof on Friday night. Mr. BLB was home with pneumonia, the little guy has been coerced into staying at school for Parents Night Out and the universe owed me some time to myself.

I started with the Darkside cocktail. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for but it was tasty and not too sweet I'm tired of gin cocktails that are so sweet my teeth hurt or so heavy on booze I can't drink them. This was neither.

I started with the duck liver pate. It was rich and creamy and the pickled onions combined with it perfectly.

Next was the veal sweetbreads. They were mentioned in the August Washingtonian and it was a great dish. Veal sweetbreads, grapes, onions and a poached egg combined beautifully. My only complaint is that a nice slice of soft bread is needed to help soak up the last of the egg. The crunchy cracker on the table couldn't do the job.

For a main I went with the pork chop at the server's suggestion. It was flavorful an enjoyable. It didn't wow me as much as the first two dishes but it was still a great success.

I concluded with the profiteroles and swapped out the coconut sorbet on the menu for espresso gelato.

I went home poorer but very happy. I got lots of reading done The service was friendly but not overwhelming. it was getting progressively louder as the evening wore on but I got out before it was too bad.

Now when can I afford to do this again????

Jennifer

I started with the Darkside cocktail. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for but it was tasty and not too sweet I'm tired of gin cocktails that are so sweet my teeth hurt or so heavy on booze I can't drink them. This was neither.

In my opinion this is THE new classic DC cocktail. Timeless.

The new fiance is taking me to Proof for my bday tonight (its been a busy week :mellow: )...its been on my list to visit for longer than I'd care to admit, a couple questions:

-Any must haves that I shouldn't miss?

-Any recommendations on how I should order (small plates, shared mains, etc)?

-Any wine flights / cocktails that I should go for (I'm a red wine guy but I've read a lot about how great their cocktails are too)

Thanks for any advice!

The new fiance is taking me to Proof for my bday tonight (its been a busy week :mellow: )...its been on my list to visit for longer than I'd care to admit, a couple questions:

-Any wine flights / cocktails that I should go for (I'm a red wine guy but I've read a lot about how great their cocktails are too)

Thanks for any advice!

Assuming you have a table (and you should, if it's your birthday), turn yourself over to Sebastian or Michael for recommendations - make sure to convey to Sebastian the "style" of wine you like (new world, old world; oak, less oak; full-bodied, medium-bodied, etc.) - he'll know the menu, too. For cocktails, I'd simply order what "reads" well.

The new fiance[e] is taking me to Proof for my bday tonight (its been a busy week :mellow: )...its been on my list to visit for longer than I'd care to admit, a couple questions:

Thanks for any advice!

Fiancee = congrats!!

Any of the cocktails are pretty solid at Proof and very much worth trying. For me, the shouldn't miss are the desserts there. Quite lovely, so save room.

Assuming you have a table (and you should, if it's your birthday), turn yourself over to Sebastian or Michael for recommendations - make sure to convey to Sebastian the "style" of wine you like (new world, old world; oak, less oak; full-bodied, medium-bodied, etc.) - he'll know the menu, too. For cocktails, I'd simply order what "reads" well.

Agreed. Love asking for wine pairings here. Also, if you are celebrating and like cocktails, Adam puts together some really incredible cocktails. He made me a birthday whiskey sour a couple years back that might be my all time favorite cocktail. Consider starting with a cockail and enjoying it over a leisurely read of the menu.

We were there over the weekend and I'd been meaning to post a few new highlights.

First, they're making their own mozzerella in house now, fresh daily. Apparently they prep it right before dinner service, so it's super fresh. This seems to have replaced burrata on the apps menu and comes with heirloom tomatoes, basil, a la caprese. It's very good.

Second, the current prep of the gnocchi is my favorite in quite some time. Very summery with tomatoes, zucchini, spinach, and corn. We've always liked the gnocchi here, but this version is especially good.

Third, they still have softshells on the dinner menu and they're simply prepared, but meaty and not overly fried or breaded the way some places do.

Overall, order whatever looks good to you. We love creating our own tasting menus and letting them surprise us with wines when we have the time and the money to enjoy a big night out here. I continue to be thoroughly impressed with the staff here, which has had incredibly little turnover over the years. I still recognize not only the managerial level folks, but a handful of the servers and even a busboy who I think have almost been here since they opened. It's impressive and surely one reason why they always do such a good job.

The plate of house made pates and terrines gives you not only an excellent selection but a very good value. I think I've ordered the spicy little meatballs every time or nearly every time I've been there. I've been wanting to back and get the tuna tartare again. My husband still talks about the sablefish he had one visit, though the current preparation on the menu I think is different than it was when he had it. We do need to get back there.

Depending on who I am there with, we usually share some of the the smaller/earlier courses and then get one main each. Of course, we don't usually get dessert.

Happy birthday and engagement!

Hey there Rovers2000. Sorry to say that I am still on vacation with the newborn. None the less, if you would like, you can send me a message and help you with the wine list that way. However, Joseph is now working with me on the wine list and his palette and knowledge are unmatched. He truly is talented and has been with us at Proof since day 1 (our first hire ever actually), thus I would entrust him completely. Have fun!

Sebastian

Hey there Rovers2000. Sorry to say that I am still on vacation with the newborn. None the less, if you would like, you can send me a message and help you with the wine list that way. However, Joseph is now working with me on the wine list and his palette and knowledge are unmatched. He truly is talented and has been with us at Proof since day 1 (our first hire ever actually), thus I would entrust him completely. Have fun!

Sebastian

Thank you all for the responses (and Sebastian for taking the time, which I'm sure is at a premium with a newborn, to chime in)!

We do have a table and I look forward to putting all the advice give upthread to good use this evening :mellow: .

If they can do The Darkside for you, then you should absolutely try this, it should be in the canon of DC cocktails.

I ordered the Monster in the Parasol last week, which was fantastic although definitely challenging. First reaction was that it was conceptually akin to Bell's Hopslam which uses honey to temper the hops profile. Here, honey is the also the parasol but the monster is berbere-infused grappa. Apologies to Adam when I suggest the cocktail is probably not for everyone, but I am sure glad it is on the menu.

The vadouvan halibut is one of my all-time favorite dishes, anywhere. I only had it once, a long while ago, but saw it on the menu a couple of weeks ago. We had only stopped for a quick cocktail, so I couldn't order it, and I'm still regretting it.

Dinner at Proof surpassed my expectations (and they were high) last night. A quick run down of what we ordered:

-Assortment of pates and terrines - excellent with the pate being a particular standout

-Assortment of seasonal pickles (fennel, cukes, green beans, onions, and preserved lemons) - really served as a nice balance to the pate / terrines

-House made mozzerella and heirloom tomato salad - the mozzerella really stands out here...perfect creaminess to accent the tart / fresh flavors of vinegar and tomatoes.

-Gnocchi with corn / zucchini / tomatoes - there were a bunch of people who recommended this explicitly so I had high expectations going in. This far exceeded them...additionally, it is a sizeable portion, even in appetizer size.

-Roasted scottish salmon (cauliflower, zucchini, potatoes, fennel cream) - only snagged a quick bite b/c I was busy guarding the soft shells from my SO, but the salmon was perfectly done

-Chesapeake Soft Shell Crabs (corn, tomatoes, escarole) - I love soft shells, so I'm biased here, but I thought these were cooked with a even hand and were quite large.

-Bread pudding with roasted bananna ice cream

Everything is delicious with the standouts being the gnocchi (legitimately one of the best versions I've ever had) and the meaty soft shells. The entire meal really summed up what "summer" dishes should taste like. Also, our waitress was just a pleasure (and I'm beyond annoyed that I can't remember her name to attach to the praise...) all evening, showing a deft touch at balancing being attentive yet giving us plenty of space.

I will be returning, particurlay to snag a few nibbles around the bar in the near future.