Proof, Capital One Arena, Chef George Rodrigues Replaces Austin Fausett, Who Replaced Ben Schramm, Who Replaced Haidar Kharoum, Etc. - Closed Feb 2, 2019

I tell ya, that vadouvan-spiced halibut is one of the best dishes I've had this year. No, I didn't get it again, but Mom did, and I had a bite. Phenomenal. (I got the miso sablefish, which was good, but no contest with the halibut.)

Halibut that trumps sablefish you say? Now I *really* have to check this dish out...

Halibut that trumps sablefish you say? Now I *really* have to check this dish out...
Chef Karoum was getting his sable and halibut from Jim Chambers last year. If that's still the case, it helps explain why they are so good. Jim's product is as fresh as it gets around here.

Chef Karoum was getting his sable and halibut from Jim Chambers last year. If that's still the case, it helps explain why they are so good. Jim's product is as fresh as it gets around here.

I'm not sure where they're getting their fish, but yes, both were of very good quality. But for me, the cooking method, sauce, and accompaniments on the halibut just won out.

Eggplant salad. This was fantastic. Grilled eggplant, peppadews, pumpkin seeds, French green beans, mixed greens, ponzu-olive oil vinagrette. Sweet, bitey, sour, crisp, crunchy and fresh all in one place. Just a really, really beyond fantastic salad. Mmm...

Everyone has their own opinions on such matters, but I feel that despite the fact that it is impossible to get a reservation on a Thursday-Saturday without a few weeks' notice, Haidar Karoum and the staff at Proof might be one of the most underrated in the city. Sure, everyone knows it's good, but I rarely hear it mentioned when talk of places to go for a really great meal on a special occasion. I'm not taking anything away from Corduroy, Restaurant Eve, et al, but the collective meal that the group of 6 I went with last Saturday night was just about as good as it gets from start to finish for the price. The must haves on the current menu:

- Grilled Mediterranean Octopus - I love this dish and have had it at several other places around the city and this is the best one. The red pepper vinaigrette puts it over the top, a nice balance for the smokiness and meatiness of the octopus.

- Vadouvan Spiced Alaskan Halibut - Thank you, qwertyy. I never would have ordered this had I not read your post. Fish of the year so far, I predict that we will start seeing more vadouvan spicing on dishes after this little gem Haidar put together.

- Warm Rhubarb and Strawberry Shortcake - In season strawberries. Mmmmmm. Nicely conceived dish, passing on ice cream for the less sweat creme fraiche, which allowed the delicious fruits to do their work. Perfect warm weather dessert.

- Crispy Duck and Pork Confit - I think the name does all the selling this dish needs.

- Crispy Carolina Soft Shell Crab - I don't like soft shell crabs and I went back for second and third bites of this. The garlic sauce it swam in put it over the top.

I could go on and on about other dishes (scallops, tuna tartare) but I'll refrain as most of it has already been said. Sebastian, Ben, Mike and the group were awesome as usual, making the out-of-towners with us feel like they were getting the royal treatment (they were incredulous when we told them that it's like this every time we come!). My wife made her decision on the spot; no Cityzen, Corduroy, or Palena this year for her birthday. Now that Citronelle is not longer the Citronelle of old, Proof is now her go-to when we are having any sort of celebration for her.

Haidar Karoum and the staff at Proof might be one of the most underrated in the city.

Couldn't agree more. We had a superb meal tonight from start-to-finish. Dining al fresco on this beautiful evening certainly helped. The standout dish was the Abalone "three-minute ceviche" ($14). Thinly sliced abalone, buttery avocado, tangy citrus, and some crunchy bits on top for texture made for an incredible dish that I will remember for quite some time. I savored every bite.

Seasonal ingredients such as ramps, asparagus, spring onion, wild mushrooms, and soft-shell crab are all over the menu. Every time we're here we order the gnocchi, which are among the best I've ever had.

Service wonderful as always. Our server suggested a Sancerre, Roger Champault, Le Pieris, 2006 ($45) which was crisp, citrusy, had some minerality to it, and was just what we were looking for.

Proof is currently my favorite restaurant. :D

This will become public knowledge shortly, but Adam Bernbach has accepted the position of Bar Manager at Proof, and will be in charge of their cocktail and beer program. Along with Sebastian Zutant, Adam is going to turn this into one of the toughest happy-hour tickets in town, as if it wasn't already. Congratulations to everyone!

Cheers,

Rocks.

Had my first dinner at Proof tonight and start to finish an excellent experience. My dining companion was running late and our server did an outstanding job of taking care of me without hovering and making the delay seem three times longer than it was. We split the flatbread with ricotta and prosciutto. A great blend of salty and creamy. I had the seared pork loin with carmelized shallot risotto with mozzarella and collard greens. I wasn't sure how the the mozzarella would be incorporated into the risotto since it wouldn't get saucy when melted but it gave it a nice chew and somehow stayed soft and creamy to the last bite. The collards were very thin shreds and cooked crispy. They gave a brightness to the dish to counter the smokiness of the risotto. Had a glass of the rose of the day -- a grenache that was dry, crisp, and perfect for the muggy day.

I'll be back soon. Their lunch deal is calling my name.

I'll be back soon. Their lunch deal is calling my name.

It called mine several days this week! Whether you are solo at the bar or sitting with some friends this remains an incredible, incredible deal! The staff are so friendly and its just mystifying to me why the bar area isn't slammed during lunch. The only minor niggle I have is that the $12 menu doesn't seem to have changed much in the last 6 months - I mean, I love the shrimp burger but it would be good to see a little more variety on there.

The only minor niggle I have is that the $12 menu doesn't seem to have changed much in the last 6 months - I mean, I love the shrimp burger but it would be good to see a little more variety on there.

What else is on there?

What else is on there?

Just got back from a great lunch today. The choices were a turkey salad sandwich, a vegetarian panini, a shrimp burger, the steak salad (which I had), and a bucatini with proscuitto in tomato sauce. The white wine was an Italian malvasia.

Just got back from a great lunch today. The choices were a turkey salad sandwich, a vegetarian panini, a shrimp burger, the steak salad (which I had), and a bucatini with proscuitto in tomato sauce. The white wine was an Italian malvasia.

The only things on that list that were there 7 months ago (when I last went) are the shrimp burger and the steak salad. So it does look like they have made some changes to the menu, although the one thing that never should have left was the Wagyu cheesesteak. That thing was heavenly.

The only things on that list that were there 7 months ago (when I last went) are the shrimp burger and the steak salad. So it does look like they have made some changes to the menu, although the one thing that never should have left was the Wagyu cheesesteak. That thing was heavenly.

I was hoping to get the cheesesteak, but the hangar steak salad with blue cheese, bacon, and avocado did not disappoint. My other top choice would have been the shrimp burger. My only wish would be the option to buy fries or someother accompaniment with the shrimp burger. It was served plain and I did not see any side dishes on the menu. (I hope I just did not look hard enough!)

My only wish would be the option to buy fries or someother accompaniment with the shrimp burger. It was served plain and I did not see any side dishes on the menu. (I hope I just did not look hard enough!)

Sounds like you were in the bar doing their lunch special, which is a limited version of the lunch menu for a discounted price. I suspect if you asked for the full lunch menu, they'd let you order sides or whatever else off of it you might want. Not sure if Proof does fries though, I don't recall ever seeing them there.

I stopped for an early dinner at Proof last night after seeing Pressure Cooker at the E Street Cinema. The bartender was wonderful, and I had a thoroughly enjoyable meal. I started with the plate of pates and terrines, which was a great value for $11. I think my favorite of the four selections was the duck liver mousse, but I also enjoyed the pate campagne with cherries and pistachios and the duck terrine. The chicken offering (which I think was leg) was good but not something I'd order on its own. The mustard that came with the accompanying bread was a great addition. I ate way too much bread, but it was so good I couldn't resist.

I followed this with the soft shell crab, which was fried, split in half and beautifully arranged on the plate around a mound of slaw. Every year, I try to overcome my squeamishness over eating soft shells by ordering one in a place that will do a great job with it. Proof was the 2009 choice and succeeded nicely :rolleyes: .

Well, I might as well start depositing my entire paycheque in Proof's bank account, especially once the Caps start playing at the Verizon Centre again. I went there for the first time just last Friday. I admit that I went because Adam is working there and we were anxious for one his amazing cocktails. I knew people were raving about the food but I had no idea just how good it was.

The cheese and charcuterie selection is excellent (and just why DO they call it a Rosette de Lyon? I'll buy a drink to anyone that knows the answer!). We had the stuffed/fried squash blossoms, panzanella, chilled tomato soup, crispy cauliflower, veal sweetbreads, miso glazed sablefish, and crispy duck & pork confit. Well, damn if it wasn't some of the best eating we've ever had!! I think our mains were a little TOO rich - the sweetbreads had me in food coma and Lisa was struggling to finish off the confit, but you couldn't stop because it was all so good!

The highlights were actually some of the lighter fare. The panzanella and chilled tomato soup were definite faves given that tomatoes are finally in season. And the blue cheese with raw honey on the cheese plate was heavenly!

We had a fantastic time. We'll definitely be back (again and again).

Terrific lunch at Proof today. Heirloom Tomato Panzanella Salad was summer-on-a-plate. My friend's Shrimp Burger solidly delicious. But the star was a new menu item - the Crispy Chinese Roast Pork Sandwich w/spicy slaw. If you like pork buns, you'll love this.

My only minor complaint is one that others have made - that the sandwiches don't come with anything (no fries, no salad, no nothing). It may be psychological, but I think a clutch of homemade potato chips to occupy some of the white space on the plate would make a big difference. The few leaves of greens strewn about the plate just don't do the trick.

The cheese and charcuterie selection is excellent (and just why DO they call it a Rosette de Lyon? I'll buy a drink to anyone that knows the answer!).

A rosette is a circular badge of pinched fabric that is awarded with a medal and can be worn in lieu of the medal. A slice of the sausage is about the same diameter as a rosette. (The rosette for the Legion of Honor is red, but I don't know if that's part of the equation.) Why "de Lyon" specifically, I don't know.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

just why DO they call it a Rosette de Lyon?
Rosette in charcuterie is a specific type of casing and signifies the pinkish color of the larger, end-part of the pig's large intestine into which the meat is stuffed. The particularity of "Rosette de Lyon" or elsewhere is its length and it tapers in accordance. "Jésus de Lyon" (or "de Morteau" in Franche-Comté) is cured in a beef bung cap and acquires a pear shape which is alleged to resemble baby Jesus. Out of respect for the name of Christ, "Jésus de Morteau" is spelled Jésu by Mortuaciens and generally smoked.

Rosette in charcuterie is a specific type of casing and signifies the pinkish color of the larger, end-part of the pig's large intestine into which the meat is stuffed. The particularity of "Rosette de Lyon" or elsewhere is its length and it tapers in accordance. "Jésus de Lyon" (or "de Morteau" in Franche-Comté) is cured in a beef bung cap and acquires a pear shape which is alleged to resemble baby Jesus. Out of respect for the name of Christ, "Jésus de Morteau" is spelled Jésu by Mortuaciens and generally smoked.

You turd. I had just gotten the answer written back to me (in French, but it essentially says the same thing) ... La Rosette est un gros saucisson long d'origine paysanne qui tire son nom du boyau utilisé pour sa confection: la partie extrême de l'intestin du porc appelée Rosette en référence à sa couleur rose clair. Je regrette d'avoir répondu assez tard. Je viens juste de lire ton message parce que j'étais partie marcher. As-tu gagné?

A less respectable but intriguing answer is similar but different. The curing times for different sausages will depend on, among other things, the thickness of the casing. This particular sausage uses the thickest casing which (as Poivrot Farci mentions) is from the end of the pig's large intestine, or closest to the rectum. Some believe the "rosette" refers to the shape of the anus.

Drinks to both of you. :rolleyes:

I'd been remiss in trying Adam's new drinks at Proof, but stopped by the other evening for a Sebbie's Sour ($11), named after poor Sebastian Zutant, unable to defend himself because he's now either somewhere in Florence, or else stuck in an airport bar.

This wonderfully citric drink includes yellow chartreuse, yellow watermelon syrup, lime, and the unfortunately named "SebastGin" - Sebbie makes his own, infusing Vodka with floral esters, or whatever it is he does. Regardless, the name itself calls for a group groan.

One!

Two!

Three!

<GROAN>

Having guests in from out of town provides one of the few excuses I can come up with to go out to dinner these days (paying that graduate school tuition for Mr. M gives can ratchet a restaurant dinner bill right up into the realm of my honest-to-goodness severe arachnophobia in terms of the terror with which it fills me). So, since a good friend is visiting for the week, we decided to go to Proof last night for an early, albeit leisurely, evening.

Plus, with three people, I knew I'd get to taste more than with just two. :rolleyes:

We started with prosecco, which was a tad on the sweet side for me, but an order of the mixed olives with citrus and herbs balanced it quite nicely. (I wasn't kidding when I said I'm a sucker for olives.) I moved on to a glass of the tempranillo while my companions chose cocktails whose names I can't remember: Mr. M got the beer cocktail made with Bell's Oberon. For a brew afficionado, he's generally completely against the concept of a cocktail made with beer, but he loved this enough to order a second -- most unusual for him. Our guest, SGR, is slowly learning his way around a cocktail menu after subsisting on G&Ts and the occasional, when-in-Bermuda dark'n'stormy; his cocktail of rye whiskey and ginger liqueur literally opened his eyes -- they went wide -- and tastebuds to something new.

We also ordered the plate of house-made pates and terrines. SGR is working his way back from vegetarianism (with a vengeance), and was entranced by the duck and red bell pepper terrine, as was I. I also truly enjoyed the chicken rillettes, while Mr. M decided that the pate de campagne with sour cherries and pistachios and chicken-liver mousse slightly outshone my own (yeah, I'll have to agree with that). The chicken-soup terrine probably worked better as a visual nod, with a big chunk of carrot driving the point home, but had good flavor nonetheless. I enjoyed the hint of sesame oil on the small pile of baby greens in the center, as well, while Mr. M almost dove straight into the pot of mustard, he liked it so much.

We split four items from the firsts to round out our meal: the grilled eggplant salad with french beans, the pan-roasted soft shell crab, the spicy little meatballs (on the recommendation I noted here), and the house-made gnocchi. The roasted corn salad with the crab was lovely, highlighting the sweet meatiness of the crab. The meatballs were just spicy enough for a table of spice-lovers, and the gnocchi, tossed with vegetables galore, were perfectly pillowy but with just enough bite. The eggplant, one of my favorite vegetables, may have been the only slightly off note, with the vinaigrette being just a little too overwhelmingly tangy; it worked better with the beans and chickpeas than with the eggplant itself.

We finished with a tasting plate of three cheeses: a semi-firm cow's milk, a gouda (more similar to a mimolette) that had just come back in, and a stilton. All three were excellent, and the trio went together nicely, particularly with the apple puree -- a better applesauce I've not yet found -- and the honey with the stilton.

Service was attentive without being overbearing, even as the place went from relatively empty to packed as the night wore on. This team is a well-oiled machine, and it shows.

(The biggest shock of the night? How eminently affordable it was. We had a more-than-satisfying amount of food and several (6? 7?) drinks; we almost had to laugh at how badly each of us, independently, had overestimated the final bill.)

Now I just need another out-of-towner to come visit so I can work my way through the rest of the menu!

Here's a hint. At the start of a night out, go to Proof with 3-5 friends. Order the WHOMPING HUGE charcuterie platter (it's like $28 or so and gives you more than a bit of everything). And order a bottle (!) of Dolin rouge vermouth, and ask for glasses and ice. Eat. Drink. Have one of Adam's Fernet high-balls as a chaser, and you're out the door for not an insane amount of money and ready and primed for the rest of your night.

My night there starts with an apertif: Campari-soaked sugar cubes, vermouth (blanco or dry?), and prosecco of some sort. Lemon twist. I look at the flute and imagine a maraschino cherry talking underwater. I like the drink, but later regard it as a highly effective palate cleanser, setting up the show that would follow.

The Root Cocktail (blanco tequila, white port, green chartreuse) paired with the abalone ceviche follows. My expectations for the cocktail are for something relatively sweet and sturdy. I push my menus forward and glance toward the cuvenee. The bar crowd transports me to their office water-coolers. My mind drifts to an overdue library book. Adam stands in front of me, holding the mixing glass with his right fingertips, and dexterously stirs disinterestedly, as if twiddling his thumbs. I recall a yawn, but perhaps we just nodded to each other, acknowledging the present. Strain and serve with orange swath.

Surprise occupies a rung only below Taste in my hierarchy of culinary values. Surprise, especially when exploring an avenue you thought familiar, Surprise reminds you afterwards that you have lived yet again, and teases you with future tastes. So delicate is this drink, like a lean martini with exotic bitters. Adam mentions something about the tequila's herbaceousness. But it is the Green Chartreuse (it's there, despite no tint), or one of its hundred and thirty ingredients, or several, or all of them in staggered appearances, that propels the finish. Rhizomes reaching out, fighting to expand -- that is the action that I taste. I don't fully understand what is going on. I don't understand the role of the white port. Surprise still has me off-balance. I'll have to explore this one again, to better define where it is taking me, but Beauty grows impatient and I focus to enjoy her only.

I close with the Wagyu carpaccio and another sparkling cocktail, unnamed. This part I don't share with you. But know that this pairing leaves me very grateful, my tongue still glowing with red onions and balsamic. Special night.

Swung over to Proof and cobbled together a "pre-theater" dinner from their menu.

The Plate of Pates and Terrines, is a steal at $11(!) 5 different offerings with a garnish of greens and tiny little hot peppers.

Grilled Eggplant Salad was bland until we chopped up the Peppadew peppers and mixed them into the greens. Gave the salad the kick it was missing.

Grilled Spanish Octopus was fantastic, perfectly tender and succulent.

Ahi Tuna Tartare, a heaping plate with really good nori waffers.

Finished the meal with a three cheese plate, Rogue Creamery Crater Lake Blue being the star selection.

Quibble for the management: If, at 7pm, you have to hand out tiny flashlights so customers can read the menu, maybe you need to turn up the wattage a smidge.

Otherwise a lovely hour spent at Proof!

Swung over to Proof and cobbled together a "pre-theater" dinner from their menu.

The Plate of Pates and Terrines, is a steal at $11(!) 5 different offerings with a garnish of greens and tiny little hot peppers.

Grilled Eggplant Salad was bland until we chopped up the Peppadew peppers and mixed them into the greens. Gave the salad the kick it was missing.

Grilled Spanish Octopus was fantastic, perfectly tender and succulent.

Ahi Tuna Tartare, a heaping plate with really good nori waffers.

Finished the meal with a three cheese plate, Rogue Creamery Crater Lake Blue being the star selection.

Quibble for the management: If, at 7pm, you have to hand out tiny flashlights so customers can read the menu, maybe you need to turn up the wattage a smidge.

Otherwise a lovely hour spent at Proof!

Thanks for the menu pointers. I'm looking forward to a pre-concert meal there tonight!

Thanks for the menu pointers. I'm looking forward to a pre-concert meal there tonight!

Maybe I'll see you. We'll be there too :(. I checked the rest of the current menu after I read the update here, and I see several items that intrigue me. I hadn't looked at the menu in a while.

Have to ditto Tweaked's comment on the plate of pates and terrines from a previous visit. And from Saturday, I'd add:

Roasted Beets with Pea Shoots & Kaleidoscope Carrots, sherry mustard vinaigrette, Stilton, toasted hazelnuts: granted, I love-love-love beets, but this was delicious, with the cheese just the right accent for the roasted beets. My friend wanted more beets and fewer pea shoots, but I appreciate the greenery. And I much preferred it to the grilled eggplant, which I thought was a little overdressed and not kicky enough, too.

Crispy Pork Confit, sweet soy glaze, Thai jicama salad, lime-pepper emulsion: I wanted an entree of this. It was outstanding -- crispy/crunchy/tender, sweet/spicy/tangy, it was everything I'd want in a meal on one perfect plate. I'm pretty sure I surreptitiously took more than my fair share when my dining companion wasn't looking. :(

Our meal last night was fabulous. And there was light!:( The lighting was perfect. It was low enough to set a mood, but I could read my menu just fine without a flashlight. The lighting has really been my only misgiving about Proof in the past.

I ended up ordering the three items that had piqued my interest when I looked at the menu online earlier, all firsts: the beet + pea shoot salad, the mushroom tart, and cauliflower soup. I enjoyed the salad. I love pea shoots and the big tangle of them looked gorgeous on the plate, but the salad had too many for me to finish. I ate this last, though, so I probably would have gotten further if I'd eaten it first. The hazelnuts added a delicious nutty crunch to the salad, but I wish there had been just a tiny bit more cheese. I raked through the salad looking for more Roquefort before I abandoned my plate, but perhaps there was some I missed.

The cauliflower soup was delicious. The texture of the partially melted cheese in the soup was interesting. I couldn't decide if I liked the textural play of the components or not. I kept changing my mind. It was like eating melting ice cream within another bowl of liquid.

For me, the big star of the night was the mushroom tart. The layers of flavors and textures there were quite appealing, and it was ingredients I wouldn't particularly have thought of putting together on top of a tart. There seemed to be some kind of slightly sour or acidic dressing on the green beans, which worked perfectly against the peppery crunch of the radishes, and both played off the earthiness of the mushrooms. I hope this stays on the menu for a while, as I'd love to order it again.

My husband enjoyed the spicy meatballs but found them just a little too spicy. I forgot when I recommended them based on my having them in the past that he likes foods a little less spicy than I do. He also ordered the sablefish. Once he was down to an empty plate, he said: "That's the best fish I've ever had."

The service was great. There was no problem balancing my meal of firsts with what my husband got. Knowing we were heading to the show, our server saw to it that everything was paced just right. There was no rushing, but there was also no problem in fitting in a whole meal in the time we had.

...He also ordered the sablefish. Once he was down to an empty plate, he said: "That's the best fish I've ever had."

I didn't want this sentence to be lost in the rest of the detailed review. Sable is one of my favorite fish to begin with, and it is absolutely brilliant at Proof.

Excellent cocktails, delicious food, and perfectly chosen Beaune 1er Cru. Thank you.

Ditto. Highlights for me were the sweetbreads and the duck confit, both of which were prepared with care, skill and imagination. They also inspired ribald associations for some reason, probably just the company. Drinks at the bar, especially the darkside cocktail, were excellent. I don't know if it was the food or the drinks, but that night I ended up dreaming about a three-way with my wife and Princess Di.

Oh, good luck with that happy-hour thing. That bar is not big, and it was already pretty full at 5:45 on a Thursday evening.

Ditto. Highlights for me were the sweetbreads and the duck confit, both of which were prepared with care, skill and imagination. They also inspired ribald associations for some reason, probably just the company.
The company was incomparable. Highlights for me were the foie gras with sauteed apples, the Flintstonian veal chop, and the Koufax, a wonderfully aromatic cocktail made with bourbon. Adam Bernbach retains his status as the one bar artisan in town that can tempt me to skip the gin.

It bears mentioning, too, that the decor manages to be at once swanky and comfortable, the ladies room wallpaper remains a favorite, and at no point did we have to raise our voices to be heard across the table.

Proof has long been my favorite spot for bar dining and a recent visit confirmed all the reasons why: a thoughtful and varied wine-by-the-glass programs, a seasonally changing menu of small plates, and an excellent staff almost all of whom have been here for quite a while, which allows them to really be on top of their game at all times.

Highlight from this weekend was a new addition to the menu: the Pork Noodle Bowl. Pork shoulder meets sausage in something akin to Pho. It is a must try dish.

A serious shout out for the Spicy Lamb Bolognase. It actually tasted like lamb. Noodles had a perfect toothiness to them. Lisa couldn't stop raving over the sablefish. What a great dinner!

Now, a plea to PLEASE bring back the pork noodle soup. We got it on the first day it was on the menu and it was funny to watch all the bar staff hanging out trying to get a sniff of that heavenly aroma. Easily my favorite dish ever to come out of the kitchen at Proof.

Now, a plea to PLEASE bring back the pork noodle soup. We got it on the first day it was on the menu and it was funny to watch all the bar staff hanging out trying to get a sniff of that heavenly aroma. Easily my favorite dish ever to come out of the kitchen at Proof.

Seconded and say it aint so!

I dined at Proof for the first time yesterday evening. Service a little slow, annoying canned music, everything else utterly superb. We started with glasses of Ruinart rosé champagne, very fairly priced at $16 each, and a lovely wine I had never tasted before. I started dinner with the spicy little meatballs with goat-cheese agnolotti and tomato fondue. Each of the elements of this dish was perfect in itself, and they worked together to form a whole that was deeply satisfying and among the most delicious things I've eaten lately. I tasted my companions' 3-minute abalone ceviche, which someone described above, and beet salad; both were lovely. I followed with the crispy pork and duck confit with lamb sausage and cassoulet of flageolets. This dish could easily have served as main course for two people, and indeed I needed my friends' help to finish it. The description on the website's menu doesn't include bacon, but my dish (and the in-restaurant menu) had lots of it. The things that were crisp were beautifully crisp, and the whole dish pleased me enormously. With it I had an 8.5 oz pour of a grenache/shiraz blend from Australia, the name of which I failed to note, unfortunately, but it was very nice, and at $12 I thought again a very fair price. Indeed, I'd say that just about everything at Proof seems to be offered at a fair price. I was meaning to ask the waiter what the "3-minute ceviche" name refers to, but forgot. Anyone know?

Last night must have been Proof night for a couple of DR folk. Grover and I arrived as the doors were opening at 5:30, were seated and had our bread and glasses of champagne before 5:40. For dinner, we started with the Pate plate, moved on to the Ahi Tuna Tartare and then the Garlic and Soy glazed Pork Confit (possibly the best pork confit I have ever eaten) teamed with the Hudson Valley Fois Gras (our server knew from a previous restaurant how much I like fois gras) and rounded out our dinner with the Chocolate Five Spice Cake with crumbled pistachios and home made (restaurant made?) whipped cream. Every course was accompanied by a wine selected by Jesse our server and every one was spot on. Unfortunately for us, as much as I hate to admit it, we left full and happy but menu-less. Suffice it to say, we will be going back and often. If we had known you were there Hersch, we would have said hello and sent over a glass of wine.