Breadline, 18th St. and Penn. Ave. Downtown - Sandwich Shop Now Owned by La Brioche Doree

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno...maybe it'll be ok. I'm kind of going "They say they won't change anything, but how long will that last?" They come in and 'just want to change one small thing', and then another, and before you know it Breadline is Vie de France*. On the other hand, if Chef Furstenburg trusts the new owners, you have to give them some credit and maybe the benifit of the doubt. The Coke thing is a minor issue, but my problem was there's Coke in the case now but....basically nothing else.

*Actually, there was a Vie de France in the mall back home and I always really liked it as a kid. It's where I learned mustard could be spicy and brown, and their almond croissants were the bomb! :lol:

But but...Cuban Sandwich day! 

Be there in about an hour!

Speaking of...

I just had my first Breadline Cuban sandwich and I have two words for you: Yum Eee. The pork was a bit dry, and I only had one pickle slice on my second half, but holy sha-moly. That thing went down in about ten minutes flat. Next time I'll probably ask for it without that kind of wierd sauce, but no biggie.

Incidentally, one of the things I like about that place is that they always have their chairs and tables set up outside, seemingly no matter what the weather. So as I ate outside for the first time in 2006, I thought about how I wasn't sure that that sandwich, however good, was worth $8.25. I mean yeesh. That's a fair amount of money that precluded me from getting chips and/or a soda.

But then I breathed the air and watched the passersby and had my hair whipped about by the wind, and I relaxed a bit. I thought about the type of sandwich you can get in that neighborhood for $6--generally tasteless cold cuts, uncreative combinations, spongy corporate bread. And I decided, heck yeah it's worth the price. I mean, I'll always think an eight-dollar sandwich is expensive in the same way that I think gas should cost 99 cents a gallon and cigarettes should cost $1.35. But here, today, $2.50 for gas, $5.25 for smokes, and $8.25 for a kickin' sandwich is a reasonable expenditure.

Thus endeth my lesson for today.

Just went to Breadline for the second time, and thanks to the board suggestions, got the Oyster Po' Boy.

Slightly apprehensive due to my past experience there with an overly fried & greasy soft-shell crab sandwich, I thought the oysters might share the same fate, even though I knew from reading that they were done in corn-meal. So anyway, I got the sandwich - I wasn't disappointed.

This really is a tasty sandwich. Delicious slaw and remoulade, with nicely done corn-meal fried oysters, on soft, light and buttery tasting bread. Yum.

One big issue though - oysters / price. I don't feel like I got enough oysters to justify the steep $10 for a lunch sandwich price (now, for some of you, I'm sure $10 is a normal lunch price, but for someone like me who has to be pretty budget conscious, I really don't like to spend more than $6-7 on lunch, and that's pushing it). I know it's fresh seafood (I hope) and so it's more expensive than your regular turkey sandwich, but still I would have liked more oysters - I bet there were only 4 on there.

While I loved the sandwich, unfortunately due to the price/value I can't make it a weekly thing. But, it was most definitely worth trying!!

Edited by eating out

I, too, was at Breadline today, and for the first time in a while walked away somewhat disappointed. My Po' Boy (retail price: $8.95) had a measly three oysters on it, as did my dining companion's. On top of that, there was way too much remoulade on mine, overpowering the flavor of the oysters. For a nine dollar sandwich, this ain't worth the walk.

How out-of-line would it be to kindly request a few more oysters (more than 3!) when they are making the sandwich?  :lol:
Delightfully Twistian but probably bad form. Besides, Breadline $10 seafood sandwiches begin and end with the fried fish.

Delightfully Twistian but probably bad form.  Besides, Breadline $10 seafood sandwiches begin and end with the fried fish.

Compare the Po' Boy, Fried Cod, and Softshell Crab sandwiches, and the Po' Boy comes in woefully overpriced.

And no, I wouldn't ask for more oysters. If it was meant to have more, it would have more.

I, too, was at Breadline today, and for the first time in a while walked away somewhat disappointed.  My Po' Boy (retail price: $8.95) had a measly three oysters on it, as did my dining companion's.  On top of that, there was way too much remoulade on mine, overpowering the flavor of the oysters.  For a nine dollar sandwich, this ain't worth the walk.

Karma and my light wallet told me not to go today. I get full very easily, I usually cannot finish a Breadline sandwich, but the po'boy leaves me hungry. I have never had more than three oysters on my sandwiches. It's frustrating because I like it better than the fish sandwich-which is usually my other fried favorite there-but it's not worth my weekly breadline splurge.

Karma and my light wallet told me not to go today. I get full very easily, I usually cannot finish a Breadline sandwich, but the po'boy leaves me hungry. I have never had more than three oysters on my sandwiches. It's frustrating because I like it better than the fish sandwich-which is usually my other fried favorite there-but it's not worth my weekly breadline splurge.

Yeah, I have a feeling the Po' Boy won't hold me the rest of the afternoon... And I think it WAS meant to have more than 3 oysters! I mean, c'mon, if you split the sandwich in half there should AT LEAST be 2 on each half!

I wouldn't care so much if the thing wasn't so darn tasty.

Oh... and on a side note, the lemon/lime/mint/cucumber flavored water is pretty good too - for $0.50

furstenburg doesn't own breadline...and hasnt for awhile now. maybe quality has gone down? i've never really liked the bread i've had of theirs in restaurants, but loved the bread eaten directly from the retail location/sandwich shop.

maybe his name should be taken off the thread?

How to posit this discretely?

Is anyone besides me noticing "changes" in the bread at restaurants who are sourcing from Breadline?

Maybe it's just the humidity.

Rocks.

I did notice that hte Breadline baguette that I picked up last night at Snider's was missing the usual sourness.

Did someone say this group also owns La Madeleine? I hope they leave Breadline's methods alone. LM specializes in faux-French hash prepared without skill and slung without charm.

Edit: I forgot to add madeleines that would make Proust break down weeping, and not with tears of joy.

Did someone say this group also owns La Madeleine?  I hope they leave Breadline's methods alone.  LM specializes in faux-French hash prepared without skill and slung without charm.

If someone made this statement they would be wrong. La Madeleine is a privately owned entity that has amongst its investors Louis LeDuff who founded la Brioche Doree, not the same as the company owning La Madeleine.

If someone made this statement they would be wrong.  La Madeleine is a privately owned entity that has amongst its investors Louis LeDuff who founded la Brioche Doree, not the same as the company owning La Madeleine.

Well, then M. LeDuff misrepresents himself on his own website, because he portrays La Mad as a member of 'Groupe LeDuff', not some random company he happens to invest in.

Anyone have any idea if Breadline's has started offering soft-shells yet his season?

CG.

Yes, they have them every Thursday but they are not worth it. Unless of course you like to use a softshell crab as a vehicle for batter because that and the coleslaw is what you taste. The batter was so thick we were able to pull it off one of the legs and the batter held its shape.

The sausage sandwich is much better.

I made my second visit to Breadline last week...I had the chicken with goat cheese and marinara on baguette, and it was pretty tasty. I love goat cheese, and this didn't disappoint. I don't claim to be a total convert now, but last time I left thinking, "I just don't get it," and this time I left thinking, "This is worth another special trip."

I made my second visit to Breadline last week...I had the chicken with goat cheese and marinara on baguette, and it was pretty tasty. I love goat cheese, and this didn't disappoint. I don't claim to be a total convert now, but last time I left thinking, "I just don't get it," and this time I left thinking, "This is worth another special trip."

Personally, I don't like it when they cover their sandwiches with marinara. Not only is it messy, but it can ruin a perfectly good lunch (example: the Steak and Cheese special). I am a big fan of the bratwurst - which I believe is a Wednesday special. With a side of their fries, it's a guilty pleasure reserved for once every couple of months. The Thursday special, a Cuban sandwich - with cumin spread, bread and butter pickles and fresh roasted pork - is also a hit and is large enough to share with a friend.

My Breadline "standby" is the salami with herbed cream cheese and roasted red pepper sandwich. It never lets me down.

Has anyone had their Gazpacho? I've been craving it lately but have found that their soups can be hit or miss.

Finally managed to head over to Breadline with some colleagues for lunch today. We all had one of the specials -- prosciutto on walnu bread w/gorgonzola and fig jam. I'm waiting for some feedback from my buddies, (two former Marines), but I thought it was quite delicious. My only comment/question is where is the line -- there is loosely organized chaos inside the establishment, but no discernable que. They still manage somehow, though, to efficiently take care of the customers.

The homemade ketchup-which sent those absurd fries over the edge-is gone :) It's been replaced with regluar old ketchup packets.

Anyone need anymore proof that it is now about the money and not about the food? Furstenberg should be forced to eat package ketchup sandwiches on bread from Marvelous Market as pennance.

Today I made my first trip to Breadline. After reading this thread I did not expect much, but I was taken aback by the ham and cheese special which was exceptional. It was a simple sandwich of French ham and gruyere on a crispy baguette with a slather of butter. All the ingredients were magnificent, and it made for a truly memorable lunch.

Today I made my first trip to Breadline. After reading this thread I did not expect much, but I was taken aback by the ham and cheese special which was exceptional. It was a simple sandwich of French ham and gruyere on a crispy baguette with a slather of butter. All the ingredients were magnificent, and it made for a truly memorable lunch.

My office is right across the street from Breadline. The French Madrange ham sandwich that you mention is a weekly obsession of mine. And you don't have to wait on line for it - they have them at the express counter off to the right when you walk in. I can be back at my desk with a sandwich inside of 5 minutes...

My office is right across the street from Breadline. The French Madrange ham sandwich that you mention is a weekly obsession of mine. And you don't have to wait on line for it - they have them at the express counter off to the right when you walk in. I can be back at my desk with a sandwich inside of 5 minutes...
I was lucky that someone came from behind the counter to mention that the cold sandwiches were available from that counter. The salami also looked good, but I am not as into green leafy stuff as I am into pork with a double serving of dairy.

Breadline is still outstanding and the best of its kind. Most of the sandwiches and almost all the bread continue to excel with the baquettes and rolls among America's best. Several of the soups have suffered from what tastes like watery stock but overall I still love this place. For "mass produced" soup New York's Hale and Hearty is still the best.

that's funny. i went on monday as well and also got the madrange ham sandwich. it was simple yet delicious. my +1 got one of the sausage sandwiches (not the italian, but the other one) and it was also tasty.
FOIE GRAS SANDWICH

Served on Toasted Brioche Bread

With Frisse Salad And Truffle Oil

I am happy to make another trip if I see this on the menu again.

i went to breadline the week before they started having the foie gras sandwich special. i believe it is a special every thursday during the holiday season, so you are still in luck. though, i do not remember seeing when the special will end.

Just got back from Breadline and I am having the most amazing tomato saffron soup. it is sweet, salty, and full of carmelized onions. I could drink a gallon of it.

They had a great looking brat with kraut but it looked like it had about 5000 calories so I passed.

I think Breadline is as awesome as it ever was.

I, too, was at Breadline today, and for the first time in a while walked away somewhat disappointed. My Po' Boy (retail price: $8.95) had a measly three oysters on it, as did my dining companion's.

something must have changed because just today i split the oyster po' boy with my +1 (as well as the holiday foie gras special) and we each had 3 oysters on each half sandwich. my half did have too much remoulade sauce, but i just scraped some off and it was still delicious.

the foie gras sandwich was tasty - soft and melted in my mouth, though, it was a tad greasy and i didn't really taste any of the truffle oil. i'd be curious to hear what others thought of the foie gras sandwich special.

With hopes still high from the tasty goat cheese number I had on my last visit, went to Breadline for lunch today...and I've come to the conclusion that in the future, I will stick with cold sandwiches. My grilled portobello on flatbread featured charred flatbread, charred portobello (bleh! what a waste of a yummy ingredient), decently melted cheese, and a PILE of raw spinach. If the spinach had been placed on with moderation, I'm sure it would have wilted from the heat and made a nice green component. But no!

The sandwich was so charred that my office literally smells of "burn" to the point where several co-workers have commented!

I'll give Breadline another go...for a COLD sandwhich in the spring/summer!

I'll give Breadline another go...for a COLD sandwhich in the spring/summer!

No reason to wait for Spring. The cold ham or salami sandwiches have no equal in this area. Much to my waistline's dismay, I must have one or the other every week.

I agree. All ham and cheese sandwiches should strive to be this good.

I finally wandered over to Breadline last week with some co-workers (after hearing about it for over a year) and we all LOVED what we had and are looking forward to going back. The Cuban special on Thursday was delicious and huge and apparently the veggie sandwich was great. Really want to try the ham mentioned above and also the spicy chicken on Wednesdays. Mmmm.

I have always loved the lentil and feta salad. So much so that I rarely order anything else. It has been a while since I stopped by though, so will someone please tell me that the absolutely tasteless version that I am currently eating is an anomoly.

I can't believe I walked 10 blocks in 90 degree heat for this crap.