Taqueria Poblano, Owner Glen Adams in North Arlington, Del Ray, and South Arlington

Went for brunch the other morning. I had Huevos Mexicanos. I really like their eggs, they are creamy and light with good veggies and spicy chorizo, it just all had a really nice flavor. Huge plate of eggs. I got a side or corn tortillas and some salsa with it, mmm. I like the breakfast here generally, but a lot of the specials end up being the best things. And they will make you pretty much anything off the other menu minus a few proteins if you ask, they are really nice.

We were in the other night and enjoyed the beef and fish tacos as usual. We've been sampling the Mexican places out here in Fairfax and were wishing that they would set up an outpost.

Went in a couple of weeks ago, the Del Ray outpost and had a blah kind of meal. Nothing great, but then again nothing tow rite home about. I had the vegetable tacos, hard shell and they were ok. Bland flavors, but then again it could have simply been the vegeratbles themselves. My wife had the Bean burrito and it was cold on the isnide as well as the queso with it, cold. Will go back and rsutle up another try. Just waiting to see how the Los Tios expansion takes off.

Just got back from Mexico. Wanted to go back. Saw tacos al pastor ($3.95). Couldn't resist.

The tacos were great: well spiced, wrapped in corn tortillas, with just a hint of the traditional pineapple.

I will echo what someone else said: the tortilla chips tasted stale. Like they'd come from a bag that had been sitting out. For shame. You monster.

Try the Mayan chocolate fritters. They're kind of like chocolate truffles that have been deep fried and served over vanilla ice cream.

Had puffy tacos chicken and pork from the Lee-Harrison location that were really good the other night. Restored my spirits. I also like that the server mentioned they do not use margarita mix (although I stuck to coke this time). I love the LA Crispy style tacos...

Cold meat in the fish taco and duck taco for take out lunch at Harrison Street today will probably delay any quick return visit by me. :angry: That cannot be how they intended to serve them, can it? It was not attributable to the 10 minute ride home, either. This was not room temperature. It was cold.

Cold meat in the fish taco and duck taco for take out lunch at Harrison Street today will probably delay any quick return visit by me. :angry: That cannot be how they intended to serve them, can it? It was not attributable to the 10 minute ride home, either. This was not room temperature. It was cold.

This is a common mishap with restaurants that shred meat, store it in tubs, and refrigerate it overnight (which many places do - think Surfside, Shophouse, and Chipotle). In general, I find this location of Taqueria Poblano to serve fairly room-temperature offerings including burritos (I never consciously noticed this before now).

This is a common mishap with restaurants that shred meat, store it in tubs, and refrigerate it overnight (which many places do - think Surfside, Shophouse, and Chipotle). In general, I find this location of Taqueria Poblano to serve fairly room-temperature offerings including burritos (I never consciously noticed this before now).

The tell should have been when they said it would take 15 minutes for my order and I ran next door for 5 minutes and it was ready and bagged when I returned. I made up for the disappointment with dinner at Masa 14 tonight.

Came back from France wanted some tacos so we came for some crispy tacos, mmmm. Very fresh, hot and crispy shells of goodness. Those shells really make the difference between a normal taco and a great taco for me, not that normal tacos can't be great for other reasons, but it really elevates a taco for me. I just love the crispiness of it.

I long for the days of childhood when I could have bad Mexican food and not notice or care.

Between my dinner at Los Toltecos last week, and my inedible lunch at Taqueria El Poblano today (infuriating because I was starving and it was a carryout order), I'm cured of slutty Tex-Mex for the immediate future.

I had downgraded this place in the Dining Guide awhile back, and have just downgraded it further. My apologies to District Taco which is also upgraded (it's not awesome, but it's better than this).

Cheers,

The Sysco Kid

• Like 1

When it opened, Taqueria (el) Poblano was supposed to be California-style, not Tex-Mex. But no point in quibbling. Bad is bad, whatever the style.

I think you're right, but I don't exactly know the difference. I know it when I see it (California-style seems greener, fresher, "cleaner"), but if someone asked me to define it, I don't think I could. Could you write a post "Tex-Mex vs. California Mex" in Shopping and Cooking?

Used to love that place, but haven't been back in a while. What's wrong with the food now?

My last couple of meals here tasted so ... Sysco-y. I was ravenous today, and when I was driving home, I was thinking "Burrito! Burrito! Burrito! Yes! Yes! Yes!" Then, I got home and started eating. The food was cold (I got a bean and cheese burrito), but I'm not that concerned about that. About the third bite in, something tasted "off," and I'm reminded of my very first meal of ... 2005? 2004? (NB - Interesting argument between Zora and Todd here). I was in Little Mexico, I can't remember where, and got some horrifically rank queso blanco on a burrito, the smell from which stayed in my car for about a week. This wasn't that bad, but there was something sour that couldn't be attributed to the sour cream (which I tasted separately and was fine). That aside, the (large) guacamole was really mediocre, and the food truly did taste like it all came from a Sysco truck - crummy chips, stale tortilla, run of the mill sauce. I finished about 1/4 of it, and decided it wasn't worth the calories (and the lunch, plus tax and tip, was over $17!) - I love guacamole, and for me not to eat it says something, though I'm not sure what. I have since taken a nap and realize I may have been a bit harsh, but my last few meals here have disappointed me. I was going to ask if there were any dissenting opinions, hoping that my last couple of visits (to the Arlington location) were aberrations, and I'm happy to have found this:

Oh no! We had a really fresh and good meal at the North Arlington location on Saturday. Which one was it, and what happened?

Because I really think the people who run this store are super-friendly, and the times that I've eaten in, I've really enjoyed the neighborhood vibe and the gently priced margaritas. Well anyway, I apologize for writing in a huff - I'm a little bit run down and my palate may be off a bit as well. Back in the 1990s, I used to love the Del Ray location, and would make special trips to go there - I cannot imagine the quality hasn't declined because I would never make a special trip for food like this, even when my palate was a lot less cultivated. On a side note, I used to *love* Burrito Brothers (Super Spinach Burrito, extra hot sauce, yum) but that, too, went way, way downhill before finally vanishing.

• Like 1

I was in Little Mexico, I can't remember where, and got some horrifically rank queso blanco on a burrito, the smell from which stayed in my car for about a week.

That happened to me at Mixtec in Adams Morgan--a chile relleno filled with spoiled cheese. They replaced it with something else, but there was no apology of any sort. I've never been back. If a cook can send out food that stinks of spoilage, there is something rotten in the kitchen beyond a bad ingredient.

We are here between once and month every other weekend for lunch between errands. But I never get a burrito, I am just not a burrito person, I don't like the way they are all big and smushed and well, just a personal thing. I like their crispy tacos, some weekends they are better than others in terms of the flavor of the meat and ratios. Sometimes the chips are up and down a little, but we have never had anything stale or bad, sometimes they are thicker, sometimes thinner, sometimes hot sometimes you know they are prob leftover from the night before. But we pretty much stick to basics- chicken, steak or pork crispy tacos and we stray very little from our normal order. Always North Arlington location. I don't think it is like stand out stellar, or drive out of your way for, and I do think District Taco, except for the taco shell itself is better. (And DT's chips are better, but I like TP's salsa better.) And I have never done take out. They are always really nice though. Last time I was there I accidentally ripped off a scab on my hand on the way out the door to grocery shop, they had a bandaid for me. I am sure if they knew what happened with your burrito they would try to make it right, they are always so nice. I can't say much about a lot of the other items on the menu because I don't get a lot of other things. But I can say they make good margaritas.

On a side note, I used to *love* Burrito Brothers (Super Spinach Burrito, extra hot sauce, yum) but that, too, went way, way downhill before finally vanishing.

It hasn't completely vanished, the one on Pennsylvania Avenue on Capitol Hill is still trucking along. When I first moved to DC and had no money they had a special where if you bought four burritos you got one free. The trick was to convince at least three (ideally four) of your coworkers that they wanted to eat Burrito Brothers for lunch that day, offer to pick their food up for them, and end up with a free burrito out of it. I'd often eat that extra burrito for dinner. I was sad when they got rid of that deal.

Ate at the Del Ray location last weekend and loved it. Had the special crab quesadilla and my usual duck carnitas. DH likes a crispy shell so he got one beef, one chicken, and one pork. He wouldn't share. :rolleyes: My quesadilla was simple, cheesy, generous with fresh crab meat, not a speck of cartilage. With a couple tablespoons of guacamole, but a healthy serving of rice and beans too. My duck, my favorite, as always, came with addictive hot pink pickled onions. Deeply satisfying fare in a great eating neighborhood.

Ate at the Del Ray location last weekend and loved it. Had the special crab quesadilla and my usual duck carnitas. DH likes a crispy shell so he got one beef, one chicken, and one pork. He wouldn't share. :rolleyes: My quesadilla was simple, cheesy, generous with fresh crab meat, not a speck of cartilage. With a couple tablespoons of guacamole, but a healthy serving of rice and beans too. My duck, my favorite, as always, came with addictive hot pink pickled onions. Deeply satisfying fare in a great eating neighborhood.

Old Town Crier has a fun interview with Owner Glen Adams here.

Del Ray location: Seriously? I dont even want to bother writing a review so as not to waste any more time on this place. First, the server couldnt care less. Another server for another table was very friendly, ours didnt seem to care. Ok, but we were there to eat, so ok. I dont eat chips all that much, but they were completely stale, and the salsa was some sort of pebbly crap. Then our food came, the shrimp dish had 5 shrimp, then a heaping helping of grilled onions and peppers with some sort of cheese on it (not even machengo). Then the rice was poorly cooked, so I couldnt even fill myself on that. Seriously, i want my time back so I can eat something that doesnt make me want to wretch. One of the first meals in a long time where I almost left when we got our food.

Harris-Lee location- had the smothered beef burrito for the first time last night no crema.  I don't typically eat burritos, I don't know if I would have loved it stand alone a little texturally one note inside, but it was good smoothered with red sauce, guacamole and habenero sauce (we must go here enough they now know one of us likes the haberno brought over.  Hubby got his typical crispy taco order, which is what we normally get.  We never go to any other locations though.

If you can't tell this is one of our fall back places to eat.  We went here Sunday morning before grocery shopping.  I had the hash.  It was ok, but the potatoes weren't crispy enough. All the flavor was there it just needed some super crisp potatoes so there was more varying texture.  MK got crispy tacos as usual.  Also their salsa was particularly good and fresh with a little more heat than usual in a good way (I would still categorize it as mild).  Service was great.  

Back to the crispy tacos with their house habenero sauce... mmmm.  Sometimes I get these and they are like a dream come true and sometimes I get them and they are just good, but I have never ate one that is bad.  I think the difference for me is how seasoned and/or soupy the meat in the tacos is, for me the more seasoning the better and not too soft of a filling inside, but not dry.  I would REALLY like to know exactly how they make their salsa.  On Twitter they said everything was roasted.  I adore their salsa to the point I have thought about buying it bottled.

So I had a really horrible meal the other night at the Lee Harris location.  I should have known better, I normally don't stray too far- crispy tacos, tostada, breakfast items, maybe some steak fajitas, enchiladas aren't bad.  But normally it's crispy tacos all the way.  Instead I foolishly got the chicken mole.  The chicken was so hard, not sure how you get chicken to the point of being that solid.  I didn't really have any texture besides being overcooked, just not a winner at all.  Anyway that just made me crave crispy taco goodness more because I knew in my heart I should have ordered them.

So I had a really horrible meal the other night at the Lee Harris location.  I should have known better, I normally don't stray too far- crispy tacos, tostada, breakfast items, maybe some steak fajitas, enchiladas aren't bad.  But normally it's crispy tacos all the way.  Instead I foolishly got the chicken mole.  The chicken was so hard, not sure how you get chicken to the point of being that solid.  I didn't really have any texture besides being overcooked, just not a winner at all.  Anyway that just made me crave crispy taco goodness more because I knew in my heart I should have ordered them.

I hate to say this, because the owner there is *so nice*, but I kind of gave up on Taqueria Poblano a few years ago - you can see where it is in the Multiple Locations Guide, and that isn't by accident. I was finding my food there to be served merely warm; not hot, and it just wasn't doing it for me. Remember when they had only one location in Del Ray? I used to drive there from McLean for dinner. Still, it's the best place in Lee-Harrison Shopping Center to sit at a bar (which admittedly isn't saying much).

• Like 1

Ok, so Taqueria Poblano needs to have nachos on the regular menu and not just as a special, OMG they are my nacho nirvana.  I got beef and they were just the perfect amount of cheese, shredded meat, pinto beans, chips, sauce ratio to my liking- lots of cheese and not a weird type, a fair amount of beans and meat, chips and then wizzled and not an excessive dollop of sauce.  I had them pre-Super Bowl and it was a delightful gluttony of nachos.  They didn't gourmet it up, it was just the bar nachos you want when you want nachos, but they also weren't overly sloppy as they had a good ratio going.  I know many people don't like this place, and I feel they do have a limited menu they execute well.  They should just take burritos off the menu and add nachos.  

• Like 2

Went Friday night after the gym- as I was feeling a bit weak and wasn't up for cooking.  Hubby and I had enchiladas and crispy tacos.  The enchiladas are nothing to write home about, but acceptable.  The crispy tacos continue to be the thing that will always bring me back here.

What brings me back are the margaritas - for my 5 cents among the best in the area - and the tacos al carbon (for me, either steak or pork), which are fine by themselves but come with an absolutely delicious side of cheese-topped grilled veggies that are placed under the broiler.  Their sour mix is nice and tart - and steeps overnight with lime zest for a nice pop.

Anytime I am out of the country for a while I crave tacos, so upon arrival home, Matt and I took me to Taqueria Poblano to get our normal order of one of each kind of crispy taco.  If anyone read this thread they should notice a theme... get the crispy tacos here, I rarely bother with anything else, but I crave their crispy tacos from other countries even.  

• Like 1

Luckily Lee Harrison was back open on time for my post International Travel crispy taco craving.  Miriam is our normal server there, and we talked a little bit as Matt wasn't with me.  I got my normal order, although the beef taco plate on special was tempting.  The beef are definitely the best of the best of the crispy tacos, I like it with the habenero sauce, the pork are the second best and are good with the hot sauce on the table which has more vinegar, the chicken are still good, but sometimes are better than others- I really prefer these when Matt orders something other than tacos and I can steal his guacamole to add to it, but also very good with their salsa.  I really like their salsa, I know it is roasted, but I haven't figure out exactly what type of pepper, tomato and onion they use to get it exactly like it is...  I just really like the flavor, it is similar to my Rick Bayless recipe, but the varietals are just slightly different.

• Like 2

Maybe it's not your favorite restaurant (or, maybe it is).  In any event, just do it for the kids for crying out loud.  Would it kill you to stop by for a couple of margaritas and some food?

Dine-out night:  Taqueria el Poblano on May 16
Eat at Taqueria el Poblano in the Lee Harrison Shopping Center to support Yorktown Theatre! Have  lunch (11:30 am-3 pm) or dinner (5-10 pm) there on Wednesday, May 16, and Taqueria will donate a portion of the proceeds from your meal. Tell your server that you are there to support Yorktown Theatre.

On 1/18/2018 at 11:39 AM, ktmoomau said:

... Miriam is our normal server there

Miriam, who is a joy, has been our normal server since TP was only in Del Ray.  We were so excited to see her at the then-"new" location on Harrison St., since we live about a 6-minute drive away.    

So... I don't know why, but I just don't like the Del Ray location- at all.  I don't think the food is as good and it is too small inside to really enjoy the experience. Just my unpopular opinion.  I need to try the Columbia Pike location a few times.  We had to be in Arlington the other day, so went back to our old stomping grounds of the Lee Harrison location- and we got crispy tacos and a margarita.  It was just soo much better than the same version in Del Ray.  Maybe it's because the kitchen is so much smaller, or a difference in the chefs.  Not sure, and I thought maybe I was just crazy, but Hubby also shares this opinion.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:33 AM, ktmoomau said:

This is going to sound terrible, but I miss the ambiance of North Arlington.  You just have a little more space and it feels a bit more leisurely.  

That extra space also highlights the generous (if oafish) sizing of their margaritas, which come in something resembling a water glass.

4 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

That extra space also highlights the generous (if oafish) sizing of their margaritas, which come in something resembling a water glass.

Not sure which Margarita you get- mine always come in a normal size rocks/normal small drinking glass!  I will have to branch out.  But I will admit to order at other Tex-Mex places those giant corona-ritas on occassion.

We have gotten take out from the Taq a few times during Covid.  I want to get their nacho kit.  But the other day, while it wasn't quite so cold yet, I ate outside at Harrison St and got three crispy tacos.  Man it was good to have someone else cook for me, and to eat it hot and fresh.  

• Like 2