JLK

Taqueria Poblano, Owner Glen Adams in North Arlington, Del Ray, and South Arlington

If you can't tell this is one of our fall back places to eat.  We went here Sunday morning before grocery shopping.  I had the hash.  It was ok, but the potatoes weren't crispy enough. All the flavor was there it just needed some super crisp potatoes so there was more varying texture.  MK got crispy tacos as usual.  Also their salsa was particularly good and fresh with a little more heat than usual in a good way (I would still categorize it as mild).  Service was great.  

Back to the crispy tacos with their house habenero sauce... mmmm.  Sometimes I get these and they are like a dream come true and sometimes I get them and they are just good, but I have never ate one that is bad.  I think the difference for me is how seasoned and/or soupy the meat in the tacos is, for me the more seasoning the better and not too soft of a filling inside, but not dry.  I would REALLY like to know exactly how they make their salsa.  On Twitter they said everything was roasted.  I adore their salsa to the point I have thought about buying it bottled.

So I had a really horrible meal the other night at the Lee Harris location.  I should have known better, I normally don't stray too far- crispy tacos, tostada, breakfast items, maybe some steak fajitas, enchiladas aren't bad.  But normally it's crispy tacos all the way.  Instead I foolishly got the chicken mole.  The chicken was so hard, not sure how you get chicken to the point of being that solid.  I didn't really have any texture besides being overcooked, just not a winner at all.  Anyway that just made me crave crispy taco goodness more because I knew in my heart I should have ordered them.

So I had a really horrible meal the other night at the Lee Harris location.  I should have known better, I normally don't stray too far- crispy tacos, tostada, breakfast items, maybe some steak fajitas, enchiladas aren't bad.  But normally it's crispy tacos all the way.  Instead I foolishly got the chicken mole.  The chicken was so hard, not sure how you get chicken to the point of being that solid.  I didn't really have any texture besides being overcooked, just not a winner at all.  Anyway that just made me crave crispy taco goodness more because I knew in my heart I should have ordered them.

I hate to say this, because the owner there is *so nice*, but I kind of gave up on Taqueria Poblano a few years ago - you can see where it is in the Multiple Locations Guide, and that isn't by accident. I was finding my food there to be served merely warm; not hot, and it just wasn't doing it for me. Remember when they had only one location in Del Ray? I used to drive there from McLean for dinner. Still, it's the best place in Lee-Harrison Shopping Center to sit at a bar (which admittedly isn't saying much).

• Like 1

Ok, so Taqueria Poblano needs to have nachos on the regular menu and not just as a special, OMG they are my nacho nirvana.  I got beef and they were just the perfect amount of cheese, shredded meat, pinto beans, chips, sauce ratio to my liking- lots of cheese and not a weird type, a fair amount of beans and meat, chips and then wizzled and not an excessive dollop of sauce.  I had them pre-Super Bowl and it was a delightful gluttony of nachos.  They didn't gourmet it up, it was just the bar nachos you want when you want nachos, but they also weren't overly sloppy as they had a good ratio going.  I know many people don't like this place, and I feel they do have a limited menu they execute well.  They should just take burritos off the menu and add nachos.  

• Like 2

Went Friday night after the gym- as I was feeling a bit weak and wasn't up for cooking.  Hubby and I had enchiladas and crispy tacos.  The enchiladas are nothing to write home about, but acceptable.  The crispy tacos continue to be the thing that will always bring me back here.

What brings me back are the margaritas - for my 5 cents among the best in the area - and the tacos al carbon (for me, either steak or pork), which are fine by themselves but come with an absolutely delicious side of cheese-topped grilled veggies that are placed under the broiler.  Their sour mix is nice and tart - and steeps overnight with lime zest for a nice pop.

Anytime I am out of the country for a while I crave tacos, so upon arrival home, Matt and I took me to Taqueria Poblano to get our normal order of one of each kind of crispy taco.  If anyone read this thread they should notice a theme... get the crispy tacos here, I rarely bother with anything else, but I crave their crispy tacos from other countries even.  

• Like 1

Luckily Lee Harrison was back open on time for my post International Travel crispy taco craving.  Miriam is our normal server there, and we talked a little bit as Matt wasn't with me.  I got my normal order, although the beef taco plate on special was tempting.  The beef are definitely the best of the best of the crispy tacos, I like it with the habenero sauce, the pork are the second best and are good with the hot sauce on the table which has more vinegar, the chicken are still good, but sometimes are better than others- I really prefer these when Matt orders something other than tacos and I can steal his guacamole to add to it, but also very good with their salsa.  I really like their salsa, I know it is roasted, but I haven't figure out exactly what type of pepper, tomato and onion they use to get it exactly like it is...  I just really like the flavor, it is similar to my Rick Bayless recipe, but the varietals are just slightly different.

• Like 2

Maybe it's not your favorite restaurant (or, maybe it is).  In any event, just do it for the kids for crying out loud.  Would it kill you to stop by for a couple of margaritas and some food?

Dine-out night:  Taqueria el Poblano on May 16
Eat at Taqueria el Poblano in the Lee Harrison Shopping Center to support Yorktown Theatre! Have  lunch (11:30 am-3 pm) or dinner (5-10 pm) there on Wednesday, May 16, and Taqueria will donate a portion of the proceeds from your meal. Tell your server that you are there to support Yorktown Theatre.

Got crispy tacos this past weekend at Del Ray and they were on point.  This is going to sound terrible, but I miss the ambiance of North Arlington.  You just have a little more space and it feels a bit more leisurely.  But you can't deny the crispy tacos.

On 1/18/2018 at 11:39 AM, ktmoomau said:

... Miriam is our normal server there

Miriam, who is a joy, has been our normal server since TP was only in Del Ray.  We were so excited to see her at the then-"new" location on Harrison St., since we live about a 6-minute drive away.