The Horrors Of McDonald's - A $27 Billion Dollar Franchise, Ending Humanity, One Sandwich at a Time

I had the craving for a chocolate milkshake from here a few weeks ago. That was a mistake. I felt like a sack of crap afterwards.

I read somewhere that McDonald's cannot call them milkshakes because there is not actually any milk in them. Perhaps it is just an urban legend, but if you look on the menu, they are just called "Shakes." God only knows what is in them.

Not sure what possessed me to be one of the billions who will take advantage of the free "southern style" chicken sandwich giveaway today, but let me save the rest of you the time & trouble. Yes, you get free food, but it's not worth the calories. It's not atrocious, and the pickles are more plentiful than a Chick-fil-A Sandwich, but that's about it. The seasoning isn't there, the bun is pedestrian and like the nuggets, I'm not sure how many pieces of chicken were pieced together to make this cutlet. For my money, I'm sticking with the original chicken sandwich place - even if it means I can't have one on Sunday because it's the Lord's Day.

For those of you who don't trust one person's opinion who just took one for the team, stop by any of the quadrillion Micky D's today until 7 PM...all it will cost you is the price of a medium drink, gas money (I walked so there's something), and a ton of wasted calories.

I'm embarrassed to say that I had one of these a couple weeks ago (it was late, I was on the interstate, and I was desperate). MelGold describes the sandwich perfectly: It's a sterile, bland imitation of Chick-fil-A - a little black pepper in the batter would have gone a long way.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I had one as well (thanks for the coupon, AMAZON.COM!) and found it completely without merit, but honestly, without much to detract. It just was.

A very zen sandwich.

However, $.59 cheeseburgers? Sign me up. I flash back to childhood each bite.

I read somewhere that McDonald's cannot call them milkshakes because there is not actually any milk in them. Perhaps it is just an urban legend, but if you look on the menu, they are just called "Shakes." God only knows what is in them.
"Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream: Milk, sugar, cream, nonfat milk solids, corn syrup solids, mono- and diglycerides, guar gum, dextrose, sodium citrate, artificial vanilla flavor, sodium phosphate, carrageenan, disodium phosphate, cellulose gum, vitamin A palmitate. CONTAINS: MILK. Vanilla Syrup: Corn syrup, water, natural flavor (plant source), caramel color, citric acid, pectin, sodium benzoate (preservative), yellow 5, yellow 6. May contain small amounts of other shake flavors served at the restaurant, including egg ingredients when Egg Nog Shakes are available."

Here are the list of ingredients in the 12 oz. vanilla "shake" from the Micky D's web site. Sure, there's milk in there, along with so many other yummy ingredients...it should be called a "corn syrup" shake. Yikes.

"Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream: Milk, sugar, cream, nonfat milk solids, corn syrup solids, mono- and diglycerides, guar gum, dextrose, sodium citrate, artificial vanilla flavor, sodium phosphate, carrageenan, disodium phosphate, cellulose gum, vitamin A palmitate. CONTAINS: MILK. Vanilla Syrup: Corn syrup, water, natural flavor (plant source), caramel color, citric acid, pectin, sodium benzoate (preservative), yellow 5, yellow 6. May contain small amounts of other shake flavors served at the restaurant, including egg ingredients when Egg Nog Shakes are available."

Here are the list of ingredients in the 12 oz. vanilla "shake" from the Micky D's web site. Sure, there's milk in there, along with so many other yummy ingredients...it should be called a "corn syrup" shake. Yikes.

Please note that cellulose gum is a nice was of saying sawdust derived goo...

I also thought that the gelato at the McD's by the Spanish Steps was some of the best i had, so take that snobs!
I am the first to admit that one of the greatest meals I had in Madrid was a Quarter Pounder with Cheese (granted I was young & naive, but I still think of that burger), so no need to be calling anyone a snob. Anyone who has eaten MickyD's abroad could probably attest, they ain't sourcing from the same distributors as they do in the States! :lol:

I'm sticking with the original chicken sandwich place -
These caused quite a stir in Tallahassee when they first arrived claiming to be southern. Some folks at work and I did a side-by-side of the chicken biscuits with the CFA and hands down the CFA were better. The biscuits were lighter and without a pronounced shortening taste. The chicken had some zip to it. What cracks me up are the advertisements for a homemade tasting biscuit. I sure hope these aren't like what you have to eat at home.

Anyone who has eaten MickyD's abroad could probably attest, they ain't sourcing from the same distributors as they do in the States! :lol:

I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the Big Mac I had in New Zealand. The beef tasted a lot more like beef & the special sauce was better but the bun was so much worse it ruined it for me. They heavily advertise their use of NZ ingredients but I guess part of the appeal of the real Big Mac is the way the beef doesn't taste like beef.

Anyone who has eaten MickyD's abroad could probably attest, they ain't sourcing from the same distributors as they do in the States! :lol:

The lamb burger they serve in India is really pretty tasty. And they give you chili sauce for the fries!

Lou: You know, the funniest thing though; it's the little differences.

Wiggum: Example.

Lou: Well, at McDonald's you can buy a Krusty Burger with cheese, right? But they don't call it a Krusty Burger with cheese.

Wiggum: Get out! Well, what do they call it?

Lou: A Quarter Pounder with cheese.

Wiggum: Quarter Pounder with cheese? Well, I can picture the cheese, but, uh, do they have Krusty partially gelatinated non-dairy gum-based beverages?

Lou: Mm-hm. They call 'em, "shakes."

Eddie: Huh, shakes. You don't know what you're gettin'.

The Simpsons speaketh the truth.

"I go to MacDonald's and Burger King on occasion. What else are you going to do when you're on the road and you have to dash in for some food? They are pretty good; they're clean, and you know what you're getting. I don't know why anyone would think I always dine on hummingbird tongues or something."

- Julia Child

I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the Big Mac I had in New Zealand. The beef tasted a lot more like beef & the special sauce was better but the bun was so much worse it ruined it for me. They heavily advertise their use of NZ ingredients but I guess part of the appeal of the real Big Mac is the way the beef doesn't taste like beef.

After eating multi-course meals for 8 days in Champagne, the first thing I did in Paris was hit the McD's on Avenue de Wagram for a Special or whatever they call the fromage-burger. It was surprisingly decent, excellent frites, the place was clean and full of terminally chic peeps. I love Paris!

After eating multi-course meals for 8 days in Champagne, the first thing I did in Paris was hit the McD's on Avenue de Wagram for a Special or whatever they call the fromage-burger. It was surprisingly decent, excellent frites, the place was clean and full of terminally chic peeps. I love Paris!

I have a feeling that the rest of the food you ate in France was also better than the food I had in NZ.

When I was in China last fall, they had a delicious Spicy Chicken and Spicy Fish sandwich there that was very yummy. I still get strange looks when I tell people that McDs in China & Taiwan have at least 2 stories and are very busy at all times.

Of course, they don't know that in China, you still have to squat in their bathrooms....aim well!

The best thing about McD's in Paris is the ability to order a beer.

If you can believe it, apparently in Maine they sell something called the McLobster Roll. I am sure that is some treat.

Went to high school on MDI, (closest McD was in Ellsworth, about 20 Minutes away from Bar Harbor). Had the Lobster roll thing once. I wouldn't call it a treat. Mostly surimi and Mayonnaise. However, if they could do the Maine RED hot dogs...

I am not sure if any food has ever scared me as much as the first time I saw someone eat a McRib sandwich, and the Simpsons parody of it in "I'm Spelling as Fast as I Can" where the Ribwich was made out of some unknown animal is how I always saw the McRib.

Not sure what possessed me to be one of the billions who will take advantage of the free "southern style" chicken sandwich giveaway today, but let me save the rest of you the time & trouble. Yes, you get free food, but it's not worth the calories. It's not atrocious, and the pickles are more plentiful than a Chick-fil-A Sandwich, but that's about it. The seasoning isn't there, the bun is pedestrian and like the nuggets, I'm not sure how many pieces of chicken were pieced together to make this cutlet. For my money, I'm sticking with the original chicken sandwich place - even if it means I can't have one on Sunday because it's the Lord's Day.

For those of you who don't trust one person's opinion who just took one for the team, stop by any of the quadrillion Micky D's today until 7 PM...all it will cost you is the price of a medium drink, gas money (I walked so there's something), and a ton of wasted calories.

It's hard to find Chick-fil-A sometimes and if I've got a craving for that style of sandwich the Micky-D's version isn't awful. :lol:

I was sucked in by the Southern Chicken ad campaign - particularly the image of the chicken biscuit next to the perspiring sweet tea. I tried the biscuit last week, and admit that I enjoyed it. Since SuperSize Me, I have avoided Mickey D's, succumbing to a weakness for fries or an Egg McMuffin once or twice a year. I will definitely go with the Chicken Biscuit over the Egg McMuffin now, but hope that I can stay strong and limit it to rare occasions. I've avoided Chick-Fil-A since viewing a revelation regarding their ownership on this board. As they say, ignorance is bliss. :lol:

At Bethany Beach a few years ago they were selling McCrab cakes. I don't know if they still are, but tried them once - didn't think they were real crab meat.

If you can believe it, apparently in Maine they sell something called the McLobster Roll. I am sure that is some treat.

At Bethany Beach a few years ago they were selling McCrab cakes. I don't know if they still are, but tried them once - didn't think they were real crab meat.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and agree with you here. I would find it hard to believe that they would serve real crab meat when the authenticity of their hamburger meat is still in question (at least in my mind).... :lol:

I have avoided Mickey D's, succumbing to a weakness for fries or an Egg McMuffin once or twice a year.
I've avoided McDonald's for the most part since I went on a diet about two years ago, save one unfortunate time I succumbed to a craving for a Big Mac and got rather sick.

However, when dealing with a hangover recently, I went to one near me and got two of the little $.99 cheeseburgers, some fries, and a Coke. Man that hit the spot just right.

And will probably last me through next year some time...

When I'm in foreign countries, I look for McDonald's just to see what's on their menu that's not available in the U.S. For example, in the French caribbean, they have the McHomard, some kind of lobster sandwich. I was most disappointed not to see McKebab in Morocco. Chances are, they are mobbed and I have plans to dine elsewhere so I never get to try these outrageous products.

While in Bangkok last week, I was dining at the Siam Paragon Mall food court (don't laugh, the malls in Bangkok have great food...braised pig knuckle anyone? Pork limb with noodles? at the mall, I kid not) and a severly obese middle eastern family sat down behind us...kids 50 pounds over weight obese...and yes they had two platters of McDonalds piled high, super sized fries all around...needless to say, very few of the Thai mall rats tucking into the local food were over weight.

It was a stark example of food culture.

I ate at one in Rome a couple years ago and because friends wanted to see if it was the same. It seemed a little better, maybe because we were on vacation? And the larger of the three in Dublin is pretty fantastic, great fries, chips of course!

My favorite part of eating at McDonalds is that its really fast. Like 3 courses in 5 minutes fast.
Last week we were driving down route 17 to the beach (NC - SC). Ran into a stretch of about 100 miles with NOTHING - I had promised the kids 1/2 hour earlier we would stop at the next place down the road for break. Finally saw the arches in the distance have never been so happy to see a mcdonalds - They even had clean bathrooms.

I finally got around to actually eating at McDonald's in Japan today, not counting the previous consumption of various randomly flavored McFlurries (although I skipped the blueberry and Oreo one). The Ebi-Filet-O is terribly bland, a pale shadow of the golden, shrimpy goodness that is Mos Burger's shrimp cutlet sandwich. The fries were nice and crisp, and quite tasty. It was the last day for the Caramel Macchiato McFlurry, which was big on coffee flavor, short on caramel flavor, and only sparsely populated by little chocolate covered crispy bits.

I can't vouch for it, but every now and then I find Azami eating a "Mega Tamago" burger. The cylindrical "fried egg" (the eponymous tamago) on it freaks me out.

Not sure what possessed me to be one of the billions who will take advantage of the free "southern style" chicken sandwich giveaway today, but let me save the rest of you the time & trouble. Yes, you get free food....
McDonald's latest freebie is a Medium Cup of "Premium Roast" Coffee - throughout the month of February, 5-9 am.

More details:

Get a Free Medium premium roast coffee or vanilla, hazelnut or regular iced coffee between 5-9 AM all month in February. Valid only at participating locations. Only one item per person per visit. Offer good February 1 - 28.

Not sure if "participating locations" are limited to certain areas, but I can confirm that the Route 1 location at the North end of Old Town is participating.