The Fractured Prune, An Ocean City Donut Franchise

Opening soon in downtown SS on Fenton Ave across from Whole Paycheck (next to the Men's Wearhouse)(which is a truly god awful store)(at that location at least)(I've never been in another)(and have no desire to after seeing the selection at this one)(if you can really call it a selection).

Opening soon in downtown SS on Fenton Ave across from Whole Paycheck (next to the Men's Wearhouse)(which is a truly god awful store)(at that location at least)(I've never been in another)(and have no desire to after seeing the selection at this one)(if you can really call it a selection).

With the triple reference there, I'm not sure which of the three places (WP, MW, or FP) you're disillusioned with...

Plus, they are only palatable fresh.

This makes no sense to me, since, whether you like their donuts or not, they fry them to order...

Heather - they're only good in the store right out of the fryer. A day later, an hour later, even 10 minutes later, not nearly as good.

Heather - they're only good in the store right out of the fryer. A day later, an hour later, even 10 minutes later, not nearly as good.

I suspect the fryer temp is inconsistent or just too low, because these were saturated with grease. And the glaze soaking in made it worse.

I've been eagerly awaiting the opening of the new Dupont Circle Fractured Prune.

The Fairfax (Nutley St.) location has been closed for awhile.

Rockville Town Square location is now closed.

The Silver Spring store is closed now. No great loss.

(It's so easy to look back now and think what a bad idea this was.)

Today's donuts are tomorrow's cupcakes.

(And hopefully the next day's hamburgers.)

(Just sayin'.)

The problem with the Rockville store wasn't the quality or price of the donuts, they were fine. They had a pretty high rent space, which couldn't have helped.

But the real problem was that they opened at 10am and closed at 7 or 8p, so they were never actually open during the hours that people wanted to buy donuts! (breakfast/dessert)

(It's so easy to look back now and think what a bad idea this was.)

Today's donuts are tomorrow's cupcakes.

(And hopefully the next day's hamburgers.)

(Just sayin'.)

I think it was one of those things that were a great idea in concept but in real life had too many detail issues to work.

1 hour ago, dracisk said:

Fractured Prune isn't completely dead, though they no longer have any DC locations. It looks like the closest may be in Crofton, Frederick, and Leesburg. They still have a bunch of locations in Ocean City.

Interestingly, The Fractured Prune goes on the list of Oldest Restaurants in the Baltimore Area, having opened its Ocean City location in 1976.

1 hour ago, MarkS said:

Fractured Prune works at the beach where folks are willing to wait for a doughnut.  But that was a fail a Dupont Circle where people go nut at Starbucks waiting 5 minutes. 

So true. Also, when I'm in Ocean City I'm on vacation, and even though I'm spending a lot of time in a bathing suit, I'm more willing to wolf down a couple of hot, fresh donuts than when I'm slogging along in my regular life.

On 1/9/2019 at 6:28 PM, DonRocks said:

Interestingly, The Fractured Prune goes on the list of Oldest Restaurants in the Baltimore Area, having opened its Ocean City location in 1976.

Looks like Crofton has closed, but Glendale AZ (!) is alive and well.

BTW, we had a Prune out here off 606 for a while, but it's long gone too. Think they did reasonably well at least for a while.

According to the Prune website they have "Licensed Stores" and "Legacy Stores." Anyone know what that means? The Legacy Stores are listed on the website but there's no link to the menu for those stores.

29 minutes ago, Bob Wells said:

Looks like Crofton has closed

You're right -- it does appear to be closed, though it's still listed on the Fractured Prune website. It must not have been there very long. I lived in Crofton from 2012-14, and I'm pretty sure I would have known if there was a Fractured Prune in my midst.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:33 PM, dracisk said:

You're right -- it does appear to be closed, though it's still listed on the Fractured Prune website. It must not have been there very long. I lived in Crofton from 2012-14, and I'm pretty sure I would have known if there was a Fractured Prune in my midst.

Crofton store opened in Sep 2015, closed sometime last year.