Bebo Trattoria, Chef Claudio Sandri in Crystal City - Closed.

More than any restaurant in town, Bebo Trattoria has a dichotomy between its food and its service. In four visits, I have yet to have a single course at Bebo that wasn’t good, and much of what I’ve eaten has been superb....For my money, Bebo remains one of the best food values in the entire city.

That having been said, the service at the bar here has gotten even worse, if such a thing were possible. It would be one thing if people working the bar were clueless, indifferent, or arrogant, but combining all three of these with a complete disconnect between front-of-house and kitchen makes for an intolerable, unacceptable dining environment.

My friend, you are so right, you make fascists look like commies.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More than any restaurant in town, Bebo Trattoria has a dichotomy between its food and its service. . . . The service at the bar here has gotten even worse, if such a thing were possible. It would be one thing if people working the bar were clueless, indifferent, or arrogant, but combining all three of these with a complete disconnect between front-of-house and kitchen makes for an intolerable, unacceptable dining environment.

OK, this has gone well beyond the point of absurdity, right? At some point here we ought to get some notion of *why* the service remains abysmal beyond belief at a restaurant whose kitchen is of such high quality. You're right -- it's a very transparent, unapologetic mix of cluelessness, indifference and arrogance. (In fairness, I haven't been in a couple months, but I assume there's no reason to question reports such as these suggesting the situation hasn't changed.)

Quite obviously, none of these folks was hired because of their skills or experience in the food industry. Why on earth does Roberto Donna put up with this? I hate to suggest this, but it almost appears as if he doesn't have much of a choice who he hires for the FOTH.

OK, this has gone well beyond the point of absurdity, right? At some point here we ought to get some notion of *why* the service remains abysmal beyond belief at a restaurant whose kitchen is of such high quality. You're right -- it's a very transparent, unapologetic mix of cluelessness, indifference and arrogance. (In fairness, I haven't been in a couple months, but I assume there's no reason to question reports such as these suggesting the situation hasn't changed.)

Quite obviously, none of these folks was hired because of their skills or experience in the food industry. Why on earth does Roberto Donna put up with this? I hate to suggest this, but it almost appears as if he doesn't have much of a choice who he hires for the FOTH.

Or how about doesn't care? I have not been in a while, but the place did not seem to lack for business so what is the reason to change?

OK, this has gone well beyond the point of absurdity, right? At some point here we ought to get some notion of *why* the service remains abysmal beyond belief at a restaurant whose kitchen is of such high quality.

I only dined there once (not counting Grill outings), but from what I can recall the non-VIP service at Galileo never got high marks; complaints of snootiness or indifference didn't seem to be abnormal. Maybe the staff isn't excited about being in Crystal City at a joint with a more casual vibe and lower average covers. Maybe they're all just waiting it out to move back to the new and improved Galileo. In any case, maybe it's just angst (FOH) breeding angst (customer).

This place has taken its hits for very bad service, and rightly so, but we had some very good service at the bar last night. I was nervous when I didn't see Stephanie working, as she used to be our solution to avoiding the service follies , but the two guys at the bar last night were both impressive. I didn't catch his name, but we had a younger, thinner, unshaven guy who took great care of us last night. He was kind, informative, attentive, everything you would want and hope for from good bar service. The other gentleman working was also going out of his way to be friendly and attentive towards the patrons around us. I was really encouraged - hopefully this is a sign that chef has heard the complaints and is replacing or directing his staff to improve on their issues.

We had some very good food last night as well. The calamari was very disappointing and the worst I've had in a long time. We barely touched it. It was just bad in every way - overbreaded, oversalty, overcooked... Everything else was great. The papardelle special with rabbit & favas was a star - probably the best pasta dish I've had at Bebo. Also, I hadn't noticed their cheese program previously. We enjoyed both the gorgonzola dolce (if you like strong stinky cheese this is for you) and the buche noire - a lovely goat cheese in vegetable ash crust. Most of the cheeses were about $2 a taste and the tasting size was pretty nice, so it seems a great value.

Anyway, one good night of service does not mean things have changed, but I'm hopeful its a sign of good things to come.

After going to Artomatic and deciding to stick around for the free Gin Blossoms concert later that night, we decided to give Bebo a try. We ate on the early side (6pm), which, as others suggested above, is the way to go to ensure attentive service. Indeed, we experienced no service glitches-- our waiter was very attentive-- as we got our bread, wine, appetizer, mains, and dessert in the right order. We both agreed that Bebo is definitely a good "deal" in terms of cost to quality of food. We shared the shad roe over polenta to start, and he had the sea bass and I had the Anglotti with morels. This was very good, but a little rich (which, in fairess, the server had warned me about). The side of rapini was excellent, and the anchovies were a nice touch. (I may try this at home!). We had the canolis for dessert, also great, but we were stuffed.

I would definitely return--there were many things on the menu that sounded so appealing--but probably again on the early side.

Big news at Bebo is that the pizza oven will be up and running within two weeks. So sayeth our bartender. The pizza chef has been hired, and two pages of the new dinner menu are dedicated to pizzas, calzones, and toppings.

There are other changes to the menu as well. An entire section on cured meats. Shorter appetizer list, which thankfully still includes the raw veal. There are fewer pastas and grilled items. The fried rabbit is now off the main menu but was on the specials list tonight. The lamb steak and the grilled cornish hen have gone away. The rapini is not on the menu, but our bartender was able to get an order for us. They still do it for lunch for the sandwiches, so I guess it's available by request. The bar menu is the same.

Went to Bebo late Friday night with a party of 5. Service was terribly confused, wrong apps and entrees brought to our table even after repeated corrections, bread not brought with meat starter, wine not brought with meal. Would have mentioned to manager/hostess but she was on her cell phone the whole time. Pastas were excellent and prices reasonable, so would probably go again, but only for lunch or an early/casual dinner--not as part of any kind of special evening or night out.

After a long day of hiking on Sunday we decided to swing by Bebo for some much needed protein and carbs. We called them around 830 to get a table at 930 but they told us they were closing at 9pm. WTF? ;) With Monday being a Holiday there must have been other people, like us, who were dinning later on Sunday. Why didn't they adjust their closing time? Is this another example of a poorly managed restaurant?

Don't feel too sorry for us, we went to Ray's instead.

this just in:

Grill Sandwiches Available for Delivery

If you work downtown and can't make it out of the office for lunch, the BEBOmobile is to the rescue! Order Bebo's delicious Panini sandwiches for delivery to your office on Monday's, Wednesday's, and Friday's. All delivery orders must be a minimum of $50 (not including tax and gratuity).

To place your order, please fax this form to 703.412.5079 before 11:00 am of the day of delivery (Monday, Wednesday or Friday).

Panini Sandwiches may also be enjoyed at Bebo Trattoria Monday-Friday and can be ordered for dine-in or carry-out.

this just in:

Grill Sandwiches Available for Delivery

If you work downtown and can't make it out of the office for lunch, the BEBOmobile is to the rescue! Order Bebo's delicious Panini sandwiches for delivery to your office on Monday's, Wednesday's, and Friday's. All delivery orders must be a minimum of $50 (not including tax and gratuity).

To place your order, please fax this form to 703.412.5079 before 11:00 am of the day of delivery (Monday, Wednesday or Friday).

Panini Sandwiches may also be enjoyed at Bebo Trattoria Monday-Friday and can be ordered for dine-in or carry-out.

Delivered with the same speed and eficiency as you'd get inside the restaurant? Does the delivery vehicle have a "Don't believe the washingtonian or any other chowhound or donrockwell.com poster" sticker on it as well? ;) The snark never stops flowing.

Delivered with the same speed and eficiency as you'd get inside the restaurant? Does the delivery vehicle have a "Don't believe the washingtonian or any other chowhound or donrockwell.com poster" sticker on it as well? ;) The snark never stops flowing.

i can't vounch for their driving abilities, but here's the form:

http://www.bebotrattoria.com/Panini%20Delivery%20Form.pdf

i guess i'm the one who just got in. anyway, how is the delivery?

Sorry, don't know. I've gotten the newsletter since the Galileo days, so I knew the delivery was available not long after Bebo opened, but haven't partaken yet.

Has anyone been to Sunday Brunch at Bebo lately? If so, how is it set up? We're planning on going this Sunday with my aunt who is visiting. I know the dinner menu well as we've been many times and I'd heard that Sundays were a little different for brunch.

Click here as the restaurant web site has a menu posted.

Chef Donna was personally manning the pizza oven tonight. Barbara had the mushroom and prosciutto pizza, I had the Bebo calzone, with pork shoulder, broccoli rabe, provolone, and tomato sauce over the top. The calzone was very good, although the pork was still cool in the middle (probably from being a very thick pile of meat). Barbara's pizza was excellent, thin crust sturdy and chewy but not crackery. Despite our best intentions to bring some home, we at them all there, and didn't leave room for dessert. The oven is giving the pizzas and calzones that beautiful blistered browned crust look. I could go on, but I think this will become DC's best pizza, if it isn't already.

[ETA: Well, lookie there, I finally made Ventworm!]

I had lunch at Bebo today with Roberto manning the pizza oven himself. His pizza is an authentic Italian pie meaning it IS exactly what you would find in one of the best pizzarias or trattoria's in Italy. For myself in its own way it is different from Two Amy's, American Flatbread or Comet in the way that Firenze's Il Pizzaiola or Rimini's La Fogata are different from, say, Brooklyn's Grimaldi's. They all are excellent yet Roberto is serving the best of what one would find on the far side of the Atlantic. The pie's character is most definitely Italian! I should also note that standing at the counter, watching the pies come out of the wood burning oven-they were beautiful. My sense of anticipation was of imminent salacious indulgence...

I would also suggest that we now have four world class pizzarias in the D. C. area. We are no longer the wasteland we once may have been. In fact I believe there is now a level of tomato pie excellence here equal to perhaps anywhere. For that matter I now find myself thinking more about Arlington and Ashburn and less about New Haven. And also a need to return to upper Connecticut avenue.

I do think that a return trip to Bebo is my priority however; Roberto may indeed be the standard bearer of all.

I wish I had read about the pizza before we ventured to Bebo last evening. Our hopes were high, even considering all there mediocre reviews posted here. However, we were let down by overly salty fettucine bolognese and a rather sparse veal scallopine with too much tomato sauce. I had wanted the meatballs, but on asking for a side of pasta, was directed to order the spaghetti entree along with the meatballs. I did not want 2 entrees - I would have preferred just a small side (although in hindsight I probably should have ordered a child portion of plain pasta). My daughter did like the minestrone soup and thought the lasagnette(?) with pesto was ok, although a bit too creamy after awhile. The bread was quite good, although the olive oil was almost taseless. Service was really slow to start, until my 16 year old practically grapped the manager's coat sleeve to let him know we had been sitting there awhile (probably about 10 minutes or so) and had not seen a waiter (never underestimate the hunger of a teen after having played 6 lacrosse games earlier in the day). I really wanted to like Bebo - we love this type of food and are always searching for moderately prices locales, but we left disappointed and unlikely to return - it was just an overall blah experience - nothing truly awful, but nothing to make us come back again.

Sigh

After an attempt to convince me that a mixed green salad was rucola, the correct salad was delivered but was so over salted it was almost inedible, not to mention the old leaves that made up the salad. The complaint was met with a look of 'and what am I supposed to do about it?'

The tuna carpaccio however, was fantastic.

Half an hour after the apps were finished the waiter came over to tell us they were out of one of the entrees. A different decision was made and arrived over salted. (Don't bother with the mussles if they are out of soft shells.)

Finally my meatballs arrived on a hot plate, looking old and feeling pretty cold. After asking for a hot version of the dish a perfectly beautiful, fresh, hot plate of steaming meatballs and sauce was delivered moments later. Why this couldn't have been delivered on the first try, I don't know.

If we had been dining at a small no-name joint the meal would have been fine. But with Roberto's name attached it's pathetic.

Oh-and what's with the charging $1.50 for parmesean on a dish? I don't care if they don't add parm in Italy. They don't serve cold, sad looking food there either. If you are going with authenticity, get the food perfect and then charge me. Otherwise, get over yourself.

The pizza I had last night was far from world class. I ordered the Pork Sausage, Broccoli Rabe, and Provolone pie, and it was a soggy mess, at best. I was there early at 5 pm and was expecting something great. There was way too much sauce and the only crispy part were the edges; so I ate those edges with the toppings, leaving the soggy center on the plate. For dessert, I got to see Roberto berate the wait staff (in Italian) in front of customers.

The pizza I had last night was far from world class. I ordered the Pork Sausage, Broccoli Rabe, and Provolone pie, and it was a soggy mess, at best. I was there early at 5 pm and was expecting something great. There was way too much sauce and the only crispy part were the edges; so I ate those edges with the toppings, leaving the soggy center on the plate. For dessert, I got to see Roberto berate the wait staff (in Italian) in front of customers.

You're the second person who has recently said this particular pizza is too wet - apparently what's going on is that when the broccoli rabe cooks, it sheds too much water into the pie.

Cheers,

Rocks.

You're the second person who has recently said this particular pizza is too wet - apparently what's going on is that when the broccoli rabe cooks, it sheds too much water into the pie.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I quess, but it was way too much sauce, as well.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I had this two weeks ago-it was absolutely outstanding and NOT excessively wet in the center. His smoked mozz (off the menu) may be his best, however. In fact his smoked mozz is a Great dish. Similar to Fabio's Grappa risotto this is a dish that you have to know about and request and well worth the effort!

Cheers,

Rocks.

Is the pizza in the oven long enough for the rabe to get that wet?

I had this two weeks ago-it was absolutely outstanding and NOT excessively wet in the center. His smoked mozz (off the menu) may be his best, however. In fact his smoked mozz is a Great dish. Similar to Fabio's Grappa risotto this is a dish that you have to know about and request and well worth the effort!

Consistency continues to be one of the biggest problems here, which is unfortunate. As an aside, should you have to know about off the menu dishes to have a good meal?

Going only on this thread, it seems that one either must speak to Mr. Donna or have some sort of psychic menu reading powers in order to be assured of a decent meal.

As an aside, I had a pretty good dinner the one time I went, about a week after it opened. However, the news here and elsewhere does not encourage my desire to go back.

For dessert, I got to see Roberto berate the wait staff (in Italian) in front of customers.

When I was there for my soggy calzone (the same one you got), I had the pleasure of watching the manager (who reminded me of Furio from the Sopranos, right down to the slickbacked hair) take part of the staff behind the curtain next to the bar and yell at them for about 10 minutes loud enough that I could hear from a good 30 feet away. It was highly entertaining and probably the best thing that's happened to me at Bebo. It almost made me forget about the permeating stale grease taste of the saffron risotto balls in the back of my mouth.

The Vitello Tonnato was as good as advertised, however. Full of flavor and very light, a nice start to what was again a fairly disappointing meal.

Currently, Roberto's "smoked mozzarella" pizza is the single best pie in the D. C. area. It is NOT on the menu and must be requested.
Too much trouble. I am going to stick to restaurants that actually prepare the food on the menu well, for everyone. Doesn't seem like a lot to ask.

(disclaimer: I have only been once. My food was great, but the service was so atrocious I have not returned. But, this thread, and this whole, "well, the customer should be ordering better to get decent food" thing is annoying the hell out of me.)

Too much trouble. I am going to stick to restaurants that actually prepare the food on the menu well, for everyone. Doesn't seem like a lot to ask.

(disclaimer: I have only been once. My food was great, but the service was so atrocious I have not returned. But, this thread, and this whole, "well, the customer should be ordering better to get decent food" thing is annoying the hell out of me.)

I must whole-heartily agree. What's the point of having "the single best pie in the D.C. area" if you have to be some part of inner circle (or read food bulletin boards) to find out about it? At the very least, add it to a specials menu or something.

before this gets out of hand may I interject for a moment. Joe H admits that he has a friendship with Roberto, I believe he mentioned it sometime back. There is nothing wrong with that nor is it wrong for those of you who visit or frequent places based on the fact that you may know someone working at such and such place. They may give you a bite of something they are working on, give you a taste of wine from a bottle that is never offered by the glass, and you are offered because you have developed a friendship over time.

This business is more about the social side as it is to actually filling an empty stomach, because if it is was solely resting on filling stomachs more places would look like a cafeteria and less like a living/dinning room.

Maybe Joe H such refrain from making comments about special items and stick to whats on the menu for discussing a restaurants capability.

I don't see why Bebo is being savaged for this either - I think anyone could go in, ask for Roberto, and say "can I have the smoked mozzerella pizza Joe Heflin raves about?"

I talk about RJ Cooper going off-menu all the time, and he'll do it for anyone who asks - what's wrong with this? Yeah, okay, you have to read the food boards to know about it... so?

I think the issue is that there were problems reported with the pizza at Bebo, and Joe H responds by saying the best pie in the city is one that isn't on the menu. Logically, you would think that if it was that good, it would be on the menu.

This is also not the first time that Joe has responded to criticism of Bebo by advising you to go in and talk to Roberto personally to order something off-menu. While that sounds like a splendid idea in certain circumstances, it shouldn't be necessary for enjoying a restaurant on any given day.

This is also not the first time that Joe has responded to criticism of Bebo by advising you to go in and talk to Roberto personally to order something off-menu. While that sounds like a splendid idea in certain circumstances, it shouldn't be necessary for enjoying a restaurant on any given day.
Exactly. It gets old, and ironically, it brings even more emphasis to the criticism of Bebo.

I talk about RJ Cooper going off-menu all the time, and he'll do it for anyone who asks - what's wrong with this? Yeah, okay, you have to read the food boards to know about it... so?
You don't do so as a retort everytime he is criticized. Instead, you present it as an additional - and wonderful - option to the food that is available on the menu to everyone.

I think there are two different issues here, and you may be lumping them together when they shouldn't be.

Issue one - the service and food consistency problems at Bebo - are beyond Joe's ability to fix. He knows there are problems, Roberto Donna knows there are problems, presumably everyone at Bebo does. Whether they're unable to fix them, unwilling to fix them, or just don't give a crap, who knows? Joe's not in a position to fix them, and I don't think he's trying to, even though it sounds as if people want him to.

Issue two - how can YOU get a decent, even excellent, meal there? This is what Joe can help you with. Because of his friendship with Roberto Donna and his familiarity with the restaurant, he can provide tips on what and how to order that will help you have a much better experience there.

Should Joe keep his mouth shut and not help you get a better meal simply because he can't fix all of the other problems in a restaurant that he has no ties to beyond friendship? Sorry, but that just doesn't make any sense to me. Because of Joe, I now know how to get a potentially great meal at a decent price in a place where otherwise I might be lucky, or might not. Thanks, Joe.

I think several of these comments are absurd! What's the point of reading this board if not to find "tips" or recommendations for what to order? I wrote about American Flatbread and raved about a pizza that was a "special." I didn't see any criticism on here about passing this recommendation along. For that matter I also said that I really liked another pizza at AF just as I raved about Roberto's broccoli rabe and sausage pie in the thread above-many posts before the person who didn't like it.

For me it is very simple: you either like the food at Bebo or you don't. Apparently enough people like the food that a week ago Friday the dining room was full and every table outside was full-at 10:30 in the evening! There is enough on this menu that is genuinely delicious that nobody is going to tell me what I should like or not like. Bebo is well worth the two and a half stars that Tom Sietsema gives it. For some dishes it is worth more. Service issues? Yes-I cannot defend this. In fact I would argue that Tom docked it a half star for these issues-that the restaurant is emphatically trying to resolve. (Apparently too noisily! Still, they are trying.) But this is about food. I believe that Roberto has the best overall pizza in the D. C. area right now with the smoked mozz his best. But the three others I've tried have been excellent also-enough for me to favor his pies over Two Amys, Comet and American Flatbread.

There are several people who seem to have a vendetta against Roberto. Fine. But a lot of this trashing and piling on is excessive and points out an agenda. Regardless of how well I know Roberto he is serving a great pie. For that matter the only thing I said was to try his smoked mozz pie in a one sentence post. Why am I being dragged on the ground for making a recommendation?

This is what I really dislike about the internet: people like to pile on and see who can out criticize or out trash the one who came before. And, if someone dislikes an icon, they are savaged. All of this is easy to do when one sits faceless behind the keyboard of a computer.

We are fortunate to have Roberto here. Regardless of whether I know him or not I deeply appreciate what he has done for this city just as I appreciate Fabio who is leaving. (Fabio's best risotto is his Grappa which is "off the menu." I've recommended it just as passionately on another thread on here.) It is one thing to be critical; it is another to trash and to savage. That is uncalled for, unnecessary and unfair. I am going to continue to try to share that which I have found to be excellent, whether it's Grappa risotto, a bbq pizza, a smoked mozz pizza or a wine bargain that I have found. I WANT to share what I believe to be genuinely excellent. If you choose not to try it, that's fine. For those of you who do try what I like and you share my love of the dish, then perhaps I've gained a bit of credibility for your having similar taste to mine.

And, last: "off the menu" in all cases (i.e. American Flatbread's bbq pizza, Fabio's Grappa risotto, Roberto's smoked mozz pie) are ALL dishes that at one time have been specials for the week or for the season. There is nothing "exclusive" about them. I know about them because the first time I tasted them they were on the menu. I am guilty of only wanting to taste them again and share them with others.

Joe, there are many, many people here who appreciate your passion for food and your wide knowledge about the restaurant scene in the local area and far beyond. And the fact that you "wear your heart on your sleeve" when it comes to some local chefs who have become your friends. Anyone who states strong opinions is likely to be challenged, sometimes adroitly and sometimes rather crudely--I once had to PM a poster who I felt was trashing me online, to set limits. What group or organization doesn't have a few jerks to contend with? But the real key to survival in the online food community is to cultivate a thick skin. No one who expresses strong opinions will be universally appreciated. But this food community would be a much less interesting place without you. I have yet to go to Bebo--almost went last night after picking up my daughter at National Airport, but she wanted to go directly home--but when I do, I will most assuredly let Roberto know that I'm a friend of Joe Heflin's, and that I've heard about the smoked mozzarella pie from him and would like to try it.

There are several people who seem to have a vendetta against Roberto. Fine. But a lot of this trashing and piling on is excessive and points out an agenda.

This is absolutely ridiculous. If you think that consistent comments that are ubiquitously present throughout foodie websites is evidence of an agenda, then I don't know how you can possibly have a rational discussion about this place. I don't know if you include my comments in your sweeping accusation, but I can assure you that I have no agenda other than a desire to enjoy my increasingly rare nights out. Judging from the comments here and elsewhere, I'd get better odds of getting a good meal elsewhere.

I quote for truth:

"I think Bebbo is being savaged for being a lazy restaurant!"