Washington Post Dining Guide

gnatharobed

And a lot of stuff that wasn't actually about the Guide. Mostly compliments, with a couple anti-Guide rants, and the obligatory "what's with the new half-star thing" so he could explain that a half a star means somewhere between one star and another.

Re dissing Bethesda:

Nobody does it better than Eve Zibart in her review of Le Vieux Logis from August:

You don't go to Bethesda to dine at Le Vieux Logis: You go to Le Vieux Logis to escape Bethesda.

The post-Metro Bethesda, that is, that gold-rush restaurant town with its colored drinks, its BlackBerry dinks and its X-treme garage sports.

'Nuff said! :lol:

What's the listing on the last page???

[And just in case any Washingtonpost.com administrators are reading, I'll whisper this question... Does the book offer anything different than what's already archived on the Post's Web site?? Should I bother to buy it?]

In the bold-face highlight that accompanies the Ray's The Steaks review, Tom offers the highly unusual insight that "you and your sewer can wear jeans."  One can only guess as to the depths of his Delphic wisdom.

The font is most definitely curvy...sure it isn't a "rv"?????

It's a fun read and definitely worth the $12 (perfect stocking stuffer for foodie friends & family). He's updated a lot of his reviews & thrown in some new ones for good measure. The multiple listings by category in the back are helpful - now I know where to go at 1:45 AM if I have a hankering for some Ethiopian food! :)

Edited by MelGold

Lots of stars to lots of members of this website.  Congratulations to all! 

And after an initial skimming, I've found one big mistake:  the entry on the very, very last page of the book should have four stars instead of one.

Cheers,

Rocks

Just picked it up. At first, I looked up the last restaurant listed and though, "Hmm. Zola gets 2.5 stars. What was Rocks talking about?" Then, I thought harder and figured it out. Clever, clever.

Tom Sietsema: Ken, I owe you dinner at Washington's next four-star restaurant! LOL
in my fall dining guide this Sunday!

Does this mean we can expect a newly anointed four-star this Weekend? Any guesses? Does Restaurant Eve pick up an extra half star? Does Citizen leapfrog Eve by picking up its fourth? Any other possibilities?

Or am I just bored this afternoon?

Does this mean we can expect a newly anointed four-star this Weekend? Any guesses? Does Restaurant Eve pick up an extra half star? Does Citizen leapfrog Eve by picking up its fourth? Any other possibilities?

Or am I just bored this afternoon?

Wow- consider Tom's comments parsed, suckas! :)

Really interesting discussion since the Lab is no more there may be "space" for another four star. I would suggest CityZen for several reasons: "pedigree," fair amount of national publicity and particular location. There is also the very real expectation that with its "seasoning" under its belt it would realize what I believe to be one of the goals when it started: among America's very best. Not just D. C.'s very best. If CityZen has a weakness, for me, it is the "polish" of its service (particularly, it's wine service) that is a strength at Eve.

Regardless we are fortunate to have both restaurants.

Fun format.

Surprised by a lot of the three stars. I just don't think Zatinya is a three star place; I would have thought that 2 Amy's natural limitations would have kept it to two. Haven't been to Jaleo lately, interesting that it outscored Atlantico and almost equalled Minibar. I guess Oblisks' rehabilitation (on the sense of apreviously exiled politburo member) is complete, which I am pleased to see. And Rasika lays down it's marker as best Indian in the city.

Hmmmmm.

The thing that jumps out to me is the use of a three dollar system that puts the likes of Agraria, Black's and Corduroy in the same price class as Citronelle, Maestro, CityZen, and the Inn at Little Washington.

$$$ = Average entree > $21 as a top range? You gotta be kidding me!

The thing that jumps out to me is the use of a three dollar system that puts the likes of Agraria, Black's and Corduroy in the same price class as Citronelle, Maestro, CityZen, and the Inn at Little Washington.

$$$ = Average entree > $21 as a top range? You gotta be kidding me!

I agree: putting Ray's the Steaks in the same $$$ price category as the Inn at Little Washington is absurd. And Ray's the Classics is listed as $$ - huh?

And unless I missed it, not a single Ethiopian place rated a mention in "Ethnic Standard Bearers"?

I like the format this year. I am glad to see that Cityzen made it to four stars, I made a reservation a couple of weeks ago for my wife's 30th birthday. I am excited to see what has changed since our last visit in July 2005.

The 2006 Dining Guide Breakdown:

Upgraded:

CityZen: 4 stars from 3 stars

Palena: 3.5 stars from 3 stars

minibar: 3.5 stars from 3 stars

Jackie's: 2.5 stars from 2 stars

Montmartre: 2.5 stars from 2 stars

Huong Que/Four Sisters Restaurant: 2.5 stars from 2 stars

Breadline: 2.5 stars from 2 stars

Unchanged:

Maestro: 4 stars

Michel Richard Citronelle: 4 stars

Inn at Little Washington: 4 stars

Restaurant Eve's Tasting Room: 3.5 stars

Inn at Easton: 3 stars

1789: 3 stars

2 Amys: 3 stars

Komi: 3 stars

Zaytinya: 3 stars

Jaleo: 3 stars

Cashion’s Eat Place: 3 stars

Bangkok 54: 3 stars

Sushi-Ko: 3 stars

Rays the Steaks: 2.5 stars

Oval Room: 2.5 stars

Tabard Inn: 2.5 stars

Colorado Kitchen: 2 stars

A&J: 2 stars

Layalina: 2 stars

Downgraded:

Buck’s Fishing and Camping: 2.5 stars from 3 stars

Kotobuki: 2 stars from 2.5 stars

Corduroy: 2.5 stars from 3 stars

Le Mannequin Pis: 2.5 stars from 3 stars

New additions (not appearing in 2004 or 2005 guides):

Rasika: 3 stars

Obelisk: 3 stars

Vidalia: 3 stars

Black's Bar & Kitchen: 2.5 stars

Blue Duck Tavern: 2.5 stars

Ray's the Classics: 2.5 stars

Cafe Atlantico: 2.5 stars

Bamian: 2.5 stars

Kinkead's: 2.5 stars

Artie's: 2.5 stars

David Craig: 2.5 stars

Del Merei Grille: 2 stars

Hank's Oyster Bar: 2 stars

Hitching Post: 2 stars

Cuba de Ayer: 2 stars

El Chalan: 2 stars

Yechon: 2 stars

Back on the list (included in 2006 and 2004 guides but not 2005):

Komi

Zaytinya

Corduroy

minibar

Mannequin Pis

Jaleo

Cashion’s Eat Place

Huong Que/Four Sisters Restaurant

Breadline

A&J

Montmartre

Perennials (included in 2004, 2005 and 2006 guides):

Ray's the Steaks

Restaurant Eve

Maestro

Michel Richard Citronelle

Inn at Little Washington

Buck’s Fishing and Camping

2 Amy’s

Sushi-Ko

Palena

Inn at Easton

Colorado Kitchen

Not included (there in 2005, gone in 2006):

Johnny’s Half Shell

Samantha's

Charlie Palmer Steak

Thai Square

Urban Bar-B-Que Company

Bob Kinkead’s Colvin Run Tavern

Circle Bistro

Capital Grille

Lewnes’ Steakhouse

Al Tiramisu

Amici Miei

Osteria del Galileo

Poste

Occidental

Sunflower Vegetarian Restaurant

Ceiba

Delhi Club

Aster

Oyamel Cocina Mexicana

Black Market Bistro

Cafe Saint-Ex

Gom Ba Woo

Mandalay

Etete

Jerry's Seafood

Taberna Del Alabardero

Mitsitam Café

Nirvana

Vegetable Garden

I may have miscounted or mistyped some things, if so let me know and I'll be happy to correct them. Note that upgrades/downgrades are based on previous dining guide ratings only, not regular reviews (for example, I've listed Rasika under new additions even though they were upgraded from 2 1/2 to 3 stars).

Many of this year's changed ratings are to restaurants last reviewed in the 2004 dining guide, so some may be more a reflection of the 1/2 star update than of a change in quality.

Jose is back in a big way. Though Oyamel drops off the list (expect to see it back next year, post-relocation), Jaleo, Zaytinya, and minibar are back on and Cafe Atlantico is a new addition. Apparently all three branches of Jaleo qualify as 3 star restaurants, giving Andres a total of 18 stars. Michael Landrum is the only other owner with multiple establishments in the guide.

As if we believe it..... :)

As if we care..... :)

Rock on, Tom and the gang.... :lol:

Tom's treatment of Corduroy is one of my quibbles and it has been since the first review.

OK, so it's on the second floor of a midrange hotel, and it doesn't look like the typical Adamstein & Demetriou design, but it isn't exactly Oooh's and Aaah's either. Why does he need to bring it up EVERY TIME he mentions the place?

it doesn't look like the typical Adamstein & Demetriou design

This is one area where I find myself increasingly in disagreement with Sietsema. OK the spaces might look great, but on the whole I don't find them to be people friendly. Compared with their work I have no idea how, for example, he found the back room of RTC to be "impersonal". Take a good look around Zaytinya if you want to talk impersonal.

Tom's treatment of Corduroy is one of my quibbles and it has been since the first review.

OK, so it's on the second floor of a midrange hotel, and it doesn't look like the typical Adamstein & Demetriou design, but it isn't exactly Oooh's and Aaah's either. Why does he need to bring it up EVERY TIME he mentions the place?

Well, maybe every time he's there, Monique, lackadaisi, and Jlock are replaced in the bar by loud conventioneers drinking Miller Lite. That would make it seem very much like an airport lounge.

Seriously, I like the dining room at Corduroy, and they have made some modest changes over the years that have improved it. It's one of the few places where I dine where you don't feel like you are piled on top of your neighbor. I find it to be serene, you can concentrate on your tablemates and of course the food.

Not bad when you consider the restaurant is next door to the hotel gym :)

Countdown to a Supernova

I do not need the Hubble

I do not need a score

for me to tell Vidalia

from Bangkok 54.

A Martian went to Artie's

he heard that it was swell

he thought he'd find a Corduroy

but found pig slop from Hell.

The Pleiades, M45,

are seven sisters bitchin

because they dined at Huong Que and

not Colorado Kitchen.

Ka-boom

And Jackie's is as good as Ray's?

Jaleo equals Komi?

The critic's great, his writing too;

the stars themselves can blow me.

Seems that a restaurant needs to be in a hotel in order to earn 4 stars.

It doesn't hurt. Hotels have the ability to sudsidize that extra "something" required to make the jump into the 4 star level. Sort of like a loss leader, as it has the ability to draw people who will also spend moeny on rooms.

It doesn't hurt. Hotels have the ability to sudsidize that extra "something" required to make the jump into the 4 star level. Sort of like a loss leader, as it has the ability to draw people who will also spend moeny on rooms.

It all depends on the structure of the hotel and the restaurant. A Kimpton property gets all sorts of tax breaks and incentives to build out the hotel and restaurant. But then Kimpton is the management company and the restaurant must make money on its own. If a restaurant underperforms, it is changed out pronto. This has happened at numberous of their properties over the years. No loss leader there.

Other hotels are just looking to cover the variable costs and consider the value of the investment in decor and space to be the same kind of expense as investment in lobby, amenities or bathrooms.

Other restaurants in hotels make their money on catering.

There is no one answer and each financial arrangement is different.

My complaints:

The categories are silly. Why is Palena in "Washington Originals" and not in "Neighborhood Treasures" or "Hot Spots" or "Delicious Deals"? Why is Komi under "Chefs to Watch" and not "Hot Spots"? What does "Hot Spots" even mean? And an "Ethnic" category with not one Ethiopian place, in Washington, is preposterous. The separate categorization under "Restaurants by Cuisine" on p. 33 lists Palena under Italian, which is stupid.

The glaring omissions. I think 2941 and Marcel's are without question among the best restaurants in the area. I really like, for example, El Chalan, but not at the expense of Marcel's.

I feel better now.

My complaints:

The categories are silly. Why is Palena in "Washington Originals" and not in "Neighborhood Treasures" or "Hot Spots" or "Delicious Deals"? Why is Komi under "Chefs to Watch" and not "Hot Spots"? What does "Hot Spots" even mean? And an "Ethnic" category with not one Ethiopian place, in Washington, is preposterous. The separate categorization under "Restaurants by Cuisine" on p. 33 lists Palena under Italian, which is stupid.

The glaring omissions. I think 2941 and Marcel's are without question among the best restaurants in the area. I really like, for example, El Chalan, but not at the expense of Marcel's.

I feel better now.

Don't think too hard. :) Tom could just rank the restaurants and put out the guide, but he spends a little quality time highlighting restaurants by intriguing categories in order to turn the spotlight on what he considers worthy spots. It's easy to assign a rating and have everyone in Washington look down the rankings, from four star to none. It's more interesting, though, (for example) to take El Chalan and Hitching Post and say "among the thicket of two-star joints, these deserve a little extra interest." It's a device, but in a world of "objective" quantification, and interesting, amusing an worthy one.

Agree with you, btw, on the Ethiopian and Marcel's points.

The separate categorization under "Restaurants by Cuisine" on p. 33 lists Palena under Italian, which is stupid.

Really? Define Italian cuisine for us.

Isn't the dining guide a representative sample of restaurants in the area and not meant to be all encompasing? There are always restaurants that are left out of this list. Sure some Ethiopian should have been in the Ethnic section, but it is not like he doesn't talk about them regularly.

Isn't the dining guide a representative sample of restaurants in the area and not meant to be all encompasing?
It's what he wishes to highlight this fall, but not the only recommendations.

Listing Komi under "chefs to watch" made sense to me in light of Johnny's "Rising Star" RAMMY. And "Hot Spot" = buzz, IMO.

And unless I missed it, not a single Ethiopian place rated a mention in "Ethnic Standard Bearers"?

maybe tom ran into some bad injera heading into this publication. i can't imagine anything worse. actually, he wasn't able to recommend a single ethiopian restaurant on one of his recent chats. etete still seems solid to me, although there was one occasion in the summer when their electrical wiring was burning, not a good smell, and power going on and off. so who knows what he might have run into that turned him off. not too much behind-the-scenes information is conveyed from this source, although the chat is the best place for the cues.

i am not so sure that being in a hotel is a good thing for notti bianche, circle bistro or dish, although judging from what has happened to majestic cafe i guess investors breathing down your neck can be a common irritant.

a hotel wasn't much help to poste either, as far as making tom's list. but the decor in the hotel is wild, and it makes a positive contribution.

and then there's firefly.