Washington Post Dining Guide

gnatharobed

The Post has the worst search feature of any site I have ever used.  If you want to find something in the Post, use google.  For example, if you google on, "washingtonpost: 2013 dinning guide" the first link will be to the guide.  Why they can't do that on the Post site is beyond me.

Having a website with an equally bad "Search" feature (ever tried the one on this website?), I can sympathize with the Post. The problem is when you try to "out-Google Google." You can't. Invision software, for example, should just pay Google (I'm not even sure this is an option) to link to their search.

site:donrockwell.com pizza

is the type of search that *I* use on Google when I try to find something here; it's rare when I use Invision's native search function (only when Google fails me, which is rare).

Having a website with an equally bad "Search" feature (ever tried the one on this website?), I can sympathize with the Post. The problem is when you try to "out-Google Google." You can't. Invision software, for example, should just pay Google (I'm not even sure this is an option) to link to their search.

site:donrockwell.com pizza

is the type of search that *I* use on Google when I try to find something here; it's rare when I use Invision's native search function (only when Google fails me, which is rare).

Its not just invision.  A lot of sites with "search functions" have the same problem.  Internal search functions are not sophisticated.  The site:url.com  search phrase is a very good application.  Its also available at bing.

At least four of Tom S.'s top ten "favorite" restaurants--probably more (P&P, Metier not yet listed)--will be $150/person or more (in some cases considerably more) before wine, tip and tax.  I wonder if they'd all be his favorites if he were footing the bill. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bart said:

He mentioned in his chat today that the Top 10 are "leaders of the pack, or standard bearers".

Then why doesn't he title the post "Top Ten Pack-Leaders" instead of "Ten Favorites"?

For that matter, why bother telling us that the IaLW, P&P, minibar, Komi, Metier, et al., are the "standard bearers"?  At those prices, they'd better be -- and anyway, everyone already knows that they are.  The only news w/r/t these places would be if they had taken a nosedive (cf. Sifton on Per Se).  What people don't know is where their scarce $$ can best be spent, or what TS's actual favorite restaurants are (either of which categories might include one or more of these places, or might not).

Hey, don't shoot the messenger!!!   :D

I think "standard bearers" may have been a bad choice of words.  I took it to mean that these were the top of top of DC restaurants.  Places where out of towners could go to wowed by the DC food scene and places where slightly less food obsessed locals could go for a special night out.  

I've mentioned this concept before in some other thread, but among my and my wife's friends, we're the only ones who know about any of the places you listed other than (possibly) the Inn at Little Washington.  And these people aren't rubes who think TGIFridays is fine dining!  They're all professionals in their late 40s and early 50s, with good jobs and nice cars (waaaaay nicer than mine!) and enough income to spare on a nice dinner or two.  They're just not connected to the food scene in any way other than the Post, if they even bother to read the restaurant reviews there.  Those are the people the Dining Guide and the Top 10 list is for.

To your other point about TS's favorites, I think he did that last year, or the year before.  I'm sure he got flamed for that too......"Tom!  I don't care where you'd spend your own money on your night off!  I want to know where I can take my lady friend* out for a special night!!"

* Big Lewbowski reference...............Don, go watch it again!  Enough time has passed.

2 hours ago, Bart said:

Hey, don't shoot the messenger!!!   :D

I think "standard bearers" may have been a bad choice of words.  I took it to mean that these were the top of top of DC restaurants.  Places where out of towners could go to wowed by the DC food scene and places where slightly less food obsessed locals could go for a special night out.  

I've mentioned this concept before in some other thread, but among my and my wife's friends, we're the only ones who know about any of the places you listed other than (possibly) the Inn at Little Washington.  And these people aren't rubes who think TGIFridays is fine dining!  They're all professionals in their late 40s and early 50s, with good jobs and nice cars (waaaaay nicer than mine!) and enough income to spare on a nice dinner or two.  They're just not connected to the food scene in any way other than the Post, if they even bother to read the restaurant reviews there.  Those are the people the Dining Guide and the Top 10 list is for.

To your other point about TS's favorites, I think he did that last year, or the year before.  I'm sure he got flamed for that too......"Tom!  I don't care where you'd spend your own money on your night off!  I want to know where I can take my lady friend* out for a special night!!"

* Big Lewbowski reference...............Don, go watch it again!  Enough time has passed.

Fair enough; thanks, Bart.  (Of course, nothing prevents Sietsema from offering both lists.)

On 10/7/2016 at 9:35 AM, Bart said:

After defending Tom a few posts up, I now have to question him or his logic.

The first 5 places he listed (#10, 9, 8, 7 and 6) all received 4 star ratings, but #5, Convivial and #4 Kinship received 3 stars.  Huh?

Looks as though Aaron Silverman is going to land the top two spots (unless Metier is in, in which case Rose's is out altogether).

17 hours ago, Marty L. said:

Looks as though Aaron Silverman is going to land the top two spots (unless Metier is in, in which case Rose's is out altogether).

So with P&P at No. 2, what's his #1?  Rose's?  Metier?  Tail-up Goat? Fiola Mare?  Probably Rose's, which was his #1 last year.

I was wondering about Rose's in the context of this list and more recently, in the context of the Michelin Guide.  Can a place that only has 12 dishes on the menu be the number one restaurant in town?   Can a menu that small make the cut for Michelin? 

8 minutes ago, Deac said:

And his #1 restaurant is.....All Purpose?

So that means no Rose's.

That is truly silly.  Unless, of course, the list is truly of his favorites, rather than "the best" or "the best for the $$."  But whatever the metric, how he could think All-Purpose is the "best neighborhood restaurant in the city" is beyond me, based on my two visits there.  2 Amys, Timber (much better pizza), Tail Up Goat, Maketto, Seki, Bad Saint, Thip Kaho, Hazel, Bar Pilar (at least before Justin Bittner left)--these are all, in some sense, "neighborhood" restaurants that far surpass All-Purpose.  (Red Hen itself was, too, but I haven't been in a while.) 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Marty L. said:

That is truly silly.  Unless, of course, the list is truly of his favorites, rather than "the best" or "the best for the $$."  But whatever the metric, how he could think All-Purpose is the "best neighborhood restaurant in the city" is beyond me, based on my two visits there.  2 Amys, Timber (much better pizza), Tail Up Goat, Maketto, Seki, Bad Saint, Thip Kaho, Hazel, Bar Pilar (at least before Justin Bittner left)--these are all, in some sense, "neighborhood" restaurants that far surpass All-Purpose.  (Red Hen itself was, too, but I haven't been in a while.) 

Don't forget: Voting closes in about three hours.

• Like 1

No Rose's, no Compass Rose, no Ghibellina, no Thip Khao, no Red Hen, no Daikaya, no Maketto. For not one of them to be represented, fine. For all of them, while All Purpose gets on there? It's strange b/c it doesn't have a theme - some are uber expensive fixed menus (Komi, Minibar, P&P), A few are regional ethnic. A few are just "Fancy American" whatever. This list makes no sense to me. I don't want he's trying to describe with this list. Still have respect for him, but this is really odd to me .

• Like 2

Here's the question I asked and Tom's answer, from the chat today..   Not sure I understand the numerical ratings and better though.

Q: Your Top 10

Tom - I'm confused by your Top 10 list, specifically, the order. Some of your high numbered places (6-10) all received 4 stars, but #4 and 5 received 3 stars. How or why does that happen?

A: Tom Sietsema
Partly because favorites are highly personal. They call to me in different ways. Komi, for instance, delivers exceptional food and gets four stars. It's also a rare treat. I'm more likely to eat on a regular basis at All-Purpose, which gets three stars for its Italian-American menu and hospitality.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bart said:

Here's the question I asked and Tom's answer, from the chat today..   Not sure I understand the numerical ratings and better though.

Q: Your Top 10

Tom - I'm confused by your Top 10 list, specifically, the order. Some of your high numbered places (6-10) all received 4 stars, but #4 and 5 received 3 stars. How or why does that happen?

A: Tom Sietsema

Partly because favorites are highly personal. They call to me in different ways. Komi, for instance, delivers exceptional food and gets four stars. It's also a rare treat. I'm more likely to eat on a regular basis at All-Purpose, which gets three stars for its Italian-American menu and hospitality.

His twice a year dining guides are silly. He should spend the time reviewing restaurants that would typically not receive the press because they are/were off his radar or off the beaten path.

And perhaps, he should even consider stepping aside as food critic...this isn't the Supreme Court. It shouldn't be a lifetime appointment. Some fresh blood with some fresh eyes/palette would do the Post wonders.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Simul Parikh said:

Haha true. Read Q&A today. Sounds like he has an ax to grind with Rose's Luxury. Looking forward to what he has to say. 

I didn't read it as him having an axe to grind, but more like, 'there's a lot of new great places on the landscape".  Couple that with the very small menu at Rose's and I can see why it might not make the Top 10.  

But it's rough out there this time of year if you're Tom.  Here's one disgruntled comment which I don't even understand. 

Q: Fall Guide 

So no place in MD made the top#10 and only your paramour's place in VA was reviewed for the guide. I guess your biases match the Washington Post's owner's and editorial board's so to expect you to be fair and unbiased and give all the restaurants in the DC area a fair shake is asking too much. Ms Richman must be barfing in her grave over your reviews and biases. You are a disgrace to this wonderful lady's legacy and hard work!

A: Tom Sietsema
I'm just curious. Which Maryland restaurant would *you* have put in the Top 10? 
Points of clarification: My SO lives in the city. The Post, of which I am an employee, strives for fairness. Finally, my friend and mentor, Phyllis Richman, is alive and well and probably glad she doesn't have to respond to people like you anymore. 

What the heck does this guy mean with "your paramour's place in VA" mean??!?!?  Is he saying Tom is dating Patrick O'Connell?!?!?!?!

22 minutes ago, Bart said:

I didn't read it as him having an axe to grind, but more like, 'there's a lot of new great places on the landscape".  Couple that with the very small menu at Rose's and I can see why it might not make the Top 10.  

But it's rough out there this time of year if you're Tom.  Here's one disgruntled comment which I don't even understand. 

Q: Fall Guide 

So no place in MD made the top#10 and only your paramour's place in VA was reviewed for the guide. I guess your biases match the Washington Post's owner's and editorial board's so to expect you to be fair and unbiased and give all the restaurants in the DC area a fair shake is asking too much. Ms Richman must be barfing in her grave over your reviews and biases. You are a disgrace to this wonderful lady's legacy and hard work!

A: Tom Sietsema
I'm just curious. Which Maryland restaurant would *you* have put in the Top 10? 
Points of clarification: My SO lives in the city. The Post, of which I am an employee, strives for fairness. Finally, my friend and mentor, Phyllis Richman, is alive and well and probably glad she doesn't have to respond to people like you anymore.

What the heck does this guy mean with "your paramour's place in VA" mean??!?!?  Is he saying Tom is dating Patrick O'Connell?!?!?!?!

That's a troll who surfaces now and then. Not sure why Tom posts the nut job's  comments. 

27 minutes ago, Simul Parikh said:

Jaleo = best tapas in the USA? Hmmm... I guess I don't enough experience to say otherwise, but really?

I do not have the breadth of experience to know where one might find the absolute best, but I have been to Jaleo 3 times over the past year (after not going for many years for no particular reason other than changing routines) and was suitably impressed with the quality of output after so many years in business and after undergoing a number of expansions.  It does not always turn out that way.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DanielK said:

I've rarely had a bad dish at Jaleo (any location). I don't think I've been to enough tapas joints nationwide to say best in the US. but it's certainly best in the DC area, and it's the best *I've* had in the US.

Toro Bravo in Portland is better IMO, but I agree with your broader point.

6 hours ago, Marty L. said:

Actually, not a bad list beyond the Top 10 ranking, although the absence of Thip Khao and 2 Amys is ridiculous:

From his recent discussion of the bib gourmand list, it seems like Sietsema has a (baffling) lack of appreciation for them: "Other names on the roster suggest the inspectors ate at the restaurants in their prime rather than recently. Both Thip Khao (Laotian) and Two Amys (pizza) show signs of resting on their laurels these days."  I'm increasingly finding that he and I have differing food preferences in some significant respects.  I do not get the All-Purpose adoration, and 2 Amys is one of my favorite places in DC.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Deac said:

He's long touted Jaleo as best tapas and Rasika as best Indian in the U.S.

That begs the question, where else in the U.S. has he tried tapas and Indian?  And even if true, that's more telling of the quality of restaurant in the u.s. as opposed to proving we have world class cuisine in our city.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

That begs the question, where else in the U.S. has he tried tapas and Indian?  And even if true, that's more telling of the quality of restaurant in the u.s. as opposed to proving we have world class cuisine in our city.  

Re: Indian, Sietsema says he has been to Tamarind in London and thought Rasika was equal. For whatever that's worth.

In my experience, I've been to Michelin 1 star Junoon in NYC and at least food wise Rasika was much superior, at half the price. On several dishes DC second tier Indian restaurants, like Masala Art, serve much better versions of what Junoon serves.  Of course Junoon has splasher decor and has an extensive and expensive wine book, which it would seem the Michelin reviewers take into account.  But I'd take Rasika over Junoon any meal of the week, not even close.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 10:16 AM, Simul Parikh said:

Jaleo = best tapas in the USA? Hmmm... I guess I don't enough experience to say otherwise, but really?

EDIT - didn't mean "really?" like disbelief, more like is this what people think?

Is Jaleo even the best tapas in DC?  I like it fine, but I'd take Estadio over Jaleo.

Though I generally don't love Tom, I  really respect him for championing jaleo.  There was a time, maybe 10 or so years ago, when Jaleo seemed old hat, no one talked about it, or really seem to respect it. And then Tom came out with a great  review of it. I remember being shocked when they when the review came out, and then being convinced to go again and then being very pleasantly surprised by what I had. Does anyone else remember this?  I think it took guts to write a rave review of a place that was seen as sort of passé at the time  and more than that, he was totally right. It is great.  I haven't had top us anywhere else in the US, but I definitely think the food is better than estadio, and I think the tapas and gazpacho are as good as what I had in Spain 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tweaked said:

Re: Indian, Sietsema says he has been to Tamarind in London and thought Rasika was equal. For whatever that's worth.

In my experience, I've been to Michelin 1 star Junoon in NYC and at least food wise Rasika was much superior, at half the price. On several dishes DC second tier Indian restaurants, like Masala Art, serve much better versions of what Junoon serves.  Of course Junoon has splasher decor and has an extensive and expensive wine book, which it would seem the Michelin reviewers take into account.  But I'd take Rasika over Junoon any meal of the week, not even close.

Anecdata, but I've got some upper middle-class friends who are originally from India, are reasonably well-traveled, and now live in the DC area, and one quite wealthy acquaintance through those friends who is some prince or other in Rajasthan and is now living in New York; last I heard, all of them think Rasika is one of the best Indian places anywhere.  Like you said, for whatever that's worth.