I think Marks has a great roast duck and go there quite often for that and the roast pig. I have also had a very respectable peking duck at Jasmine in Falls Church(in the yorktowne center,rt.50 and gallows rd.). Another thing about Jasmine is the chef makes his own noodles for Chow Foon which I love. Being a Chef that makes his own pasta I am always I-S-O a place that does so as well. :)

OK, This was part of a discussion at Dino's last night. Who has the best Peking Duck? Somehow we ruled out Mark's Duck House and Peking Gourmet. Please someone weigh in.... I am in search for a duck fix!

maybe this was the reason behind your conversation but the best peking duck used to be at Dino's, when it was Yanyu - I think they still may make it at Spices

I misss Yanyu - I ate there 4 or 5 times and rarely was anything less than delicious

Theres a place in Van Ness that always has some kid of peking duck promo going on

maybe this was the reason behind your conversation but the best peking duck used to be at Dino's, when it was Yanyu - I think they still may make it at Spices

I misss Yanyu - I ate there 4 or 5 times and rarely was anything less than delicious

Theres a place in Van Ness that always has some kid of peking duck promo going on

shanghai garden (4469 connecticut) is the promo peking duck place. i haven't been back since moving out of the neighborhood four or five years ago, but learned to appreciate it as the best restaurant around van ness at the time, not that there was much competition, and not that the duck was as good as at yanyu. the duck was just as good, maybe even better, when it moved to spices, but i haven't kept up with them. these days we just use spices for deliveries of soups and ginger salad. (in its final weeks and months, yanyu seemed to really empty out and the cooking could be down.)

OK, This was part of a discussion at Dino's last night. Who has the best Peking Duck? Somehow we ruled out Mark's Duck House and Peking Gourmet. Please someone weigh in.... I am in search for a duck fix!

Believe it or not, the old Honolulu did a great Peking Duck. We'd have to call ahead of time to have them reserve one for us otherwise they'd usually be out of them by the time we got there. But after 2 or 3 of their drinks, who cared..... :)

Man I miss that place.

shanghai garden (4469 connecticut) is the promo peking duck place. i haven't been back since moving out of the neighborhood four or five years ago, but learned to appreciate it as the best restaurant around van ness at the time, not that there was much competition, and not that the duck was as good as at yanyu. the duck was just as good, maybe even better, when it moved to spices, but i haven't kept up with them. these days we just use spices for deliveries of soups and ginger salad. (in its final weeks and months, yanyu seemed to really empty out and the cooking could be down.)
Is that the place that has the yellow duck sign out in front? If it is, I think that it has been there for almost forty years.

Is that the place that has the yellow duck sign out in front? If it is, I think that it has been there for almost forty years.
I'm having trouble picturing the color right now, but it's by Delhi Dhaba and the Back Store, etc.

I'm having trouble picturing the color right now, but it's by Delhi Dhaba and the Back Store, etc.
I'll date myself and tell you that it used to be just down the street from Hahn's Shoes, and across from an appliance repair shop and motel. There was nothing built yet on the west side of Connecticut at the corner of Van Ness, that land being occupied by the National Bureau of Standards. Still, the only other dining option that I can remember was the Royal Warrant, where the pours were legendary.

the place in Chinatown was Eat First, and since the close and reopening, the duck is not as good, and even then it's for Cantonese Roast Duck and not Peking Duck.

Duck Chang's (John Marr Drive in Annandale) used to have excellent Peking Duck and was one of the first in the DC area to have it in the 70's.... but it's been years since I've been there. They used to serve duck 3-ways.. first the Peking Duck... then they'd use the duck meat in noodles, and then use the carcass for duck soup.

the place in Chinatown was Eat First, and since the close and reopening, the duck is not as good, and even then it's for Cantonese Roast Duck and not Peking Duck.
Thank you, yes it was Eat First. We went all the time when it was on 7th, then it closed and moved after we left the city. Sorry to hear the duck is not as good now.

Is that Yeaching Place or something like that?

not yenching palace, which is wacky chinese and on the opposite side of connecticut, across from palena, and worth a trip for neon huggers. the place i am talking about is two blocks north of van ness, in the same block as liliana, which i guess had to shutter after serving too much burnt fish. however, i said it was the promo duck place, not primo. it is a family business, but i know nothing about its genealogy.

we repair to yenching palace every once in a blue moon. it has lots of possibilities, not that it lived up to any of them the last time we were there. spices is in the post this morning with a depiction of duck, by the way.

not yenching palace, which is wacky chinese and on the opposite side of connecticut, across from palena, and worth a trip for neon huggers. the place i am talking about is two blocks north of van ness, in the same block as liliana, which i guess had to shutter after serving too much burnt fish. however, i said it was the promo duck place, not primo. it is a family business, but i know nothing about its genealogy.

we repair to yenching palace every once in a blue moon. it has lots of possibilities, not that it lived up to any of them the last time we were there. spices is in the post this morning with a depiction of duck, by the way.

Yes it is called Shanghai Garden. They still have the duck special. I think Uptown Cathay *snicker* may have a special too.

Recap:

Virginia

Mark’s Duck House – Falls Church http://www.marksduckhouse.com/

Peking Gourmet – Falls Church http://www.pekinggourmet.com/

Jasmine Garden – Falls Church http://www.jasminegardenva.com/

Duck Chang’s – Annandale http://www.duckchangs.com/

DC

Spices http://www.spicesdc.com/

Shanghai Garden

Maryland

Hunan Manor - Olney

Definitely Duck Chang's! Yes it's in Annandale in a little strip mall but their food is fantastic and the owners are just wonderful people. Peking Duck there is amazing. My parents have been living in Hong Kong for the last 3 years and whenever they come home to visit they insist on hitting Duck Chang's for Peking Duck.

I'm just curious - what does everyone look for in a good Peking Duck? Personally I think that Peking Duck is one of those dishes where even when it's bad it's still good.

I can't entirely argue with that sentiment. Though I've had some bad ones before - burned skin comes to mind. The place we get it most often is Peking Cheers, in Gaithersburg. It's a nondescript, inoffensive, mostly Americanized chinese restaurant that I wouldn't go to normally except for one reason: a whole Peking Duck is $10.95.

That's not a typo. $10.95 for an entire duck. It's not carved tableside unless they're not busy, it's not the best duck I've ever had, and they don't do the 3-course preparation, but it's ten freaking dollars. Less than what most places charge for a HALF duck.

What makes GREAT Peking Duck to me?

1. Carved tableside
  2. Crispy, evenly browned skin
  3. Pancakes that don't suck
  4. The "three course" preparation, where they take the duck back after carving the skin, and serve the meat in another dish (usually with noodles?), and the carcass in a soup

If they're not going to do the 3-course, at least leave the freaking duck on the table. I went to one place where they charged $28 for the bird, carved the skin at the table, and tried to take the rest of the duck back for who knows what. Screw you - give me my goddamned carcass!

• Like 1

Just remembered another place: Oriental Regency in Tysons Corner... it's right by the Sheraton off Rt 7, near the interchange w/ the toll road. They carve tableside... and the skin is nice and crispy. But again, a few years since I've been there (but at least this century I was there - it's been at least the last century since I'd been to Duck Chang's).

Just remembered another place: Oriental Regency in Tysons Corner... it's right by the Sheraton off Rt 7, near the interchange w/ the toll road. They carve tableside... and the skin is nice and crispy. But again, a few years since I've been there (but at least this century I was there - it's been at least the last century since I'd been to Duck Chang's).

Wow - Oriental Regency is a name from the past. My parents used to take us there back in the early 90's for Peking Duck. I do remember the tableside carving, and it was quite good back then - succulent and moist meat, crispy skin without a smidgen of visible fat remaining. I wonder if it's any good now? For those that want to venture there for a try, it's right across from Shamshiry on Rte 7.

LOL, They are my current dealer for my duck fixes...best is they deliver too! Now owned by a Korean couple, I think they are the best Tyson's has to offer (but they are no Peter Chang)

OK, looks like I have to get duck for lunch!

I'll add in my two cents and say that the Big Duck at Spices is the best in DC. You can get it as a half order - perfect for one or a whole. It is the same recipe as Yanyu. Also, they will happily give you the carcass if you ask. I also think they have the best plum sauce around to go with it.

As for the Peking Cheers in Gaithersburg, I have been many times with family that lives nearby. It is ok, definitely worth the discount price, but not worth a trip just to get cheaper duck. Read - Spice's Big Duck kicks its ass.

I guess I'll have to get myself to Virgina and try Mark's sometime. I still have trouble getting over the river though. I guess it is my Marylander bias ;-)

Fwiw, I tried the peking duck at Nooshi tonight since I was stuck in the office for most of the evening, and I generally enjoy most of their stuff.

It's bad (dry meat, pancakes and scallions were useless). And it's $13.75 after tax for half a duck. I've never had any of the ones outside of the city, but now I think I need to make a field trip to one of the aforementioned ones.

Fwiw, I tried the peking duck at Nooshi tonight since I was stuck in the office for most of the evening, and I generally enjoy most of their stuff.

It's bad (dry meat, pancakes and scallions were useless). And it's $13.75 after tax for half a duck. I've never had any of the ones outside of the city, but now I think I need to make a field trip to one of the aforementioned ones.

That is a shame, because Nooshi's sister restaurant, Spices in Cleveland Park has one of the best peking ducks as a holdover from its now-gone upscale sister Yanyu. Give it a try it is listed as the "Big Duck" - $15 for half or $30 for whole and I think worth it.

Went to Meiwah downtown for the first time last week in a large group that was duck crazy. For 10 folks we had 3 "Beijing Ducks" which were rather tasty at this otherwise pretty normal chinese place. The ducks were expensive around $30, but carved nicely (I didn't try to get the carcass in this big a group though so can't answer that question) and juicy with crisp skin like one wants. The plum sauce was nothing special - unlike the my favorite at Spices, but the nice change of pace was the pancakes which were larger (almost double in size) and slightly thicker than usual. Having a bigger, thicker pancake was great to avoid the typical rips and tears and made it easier to eat more of the duck wrapped in pancakes without having to order extra. So while I wouldn't go out of my way to get this duck, if you are in the area, I'd recommend it.

Went to Meiwah downtown for the first time last week in a large group that was duck crazy. For 10 folks we had 3 "Beijing Ducks" which were rather tasty at this otherwise pretty normal chinese place. The ducks were expensive around $30, but carved nicely (I didn't try to get the carcass in this big a group though so can't answer that question) and juicy with crisp skin like one wants. The plum sauce was nothing special - unlike the my favorite at Spices, but the nice change of pace was the pancakes which were larger (almost double in size) and slightly thicker than usual. Having a bigger, thicker pancake was great to avoid the typical rips and tears and made it easier to eat more of the duck wrapped in pancakes without having to order extra. So while I wouldn't go out of my way to get this duck, if you are in the area, I'd recommend it.

The best thing about living in Foggy Bottom is that Meiwah delivers those ducks!

Whole Foods Fair Lakes offers Peking Duck on Saturdays and Sundays. I don't know the exact hours, but they always sell out, and when I asked yesterday, they had prepared more than 50. This is a take out only operation, although you can eat it in the dining area past the registers.

Chef Wu slices the duck to order, so it's fresh and quite delicious.

An entire duck (including accompaniments) is $26.99, a half is $14.99, and individual wraps are $2.99.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Simul Parikh said:

Awww ... but then you don't get the guy chopping it up at your table. It's the best part! I guess he could chop it up and give you some and then go on to another table.

Peking Duck is going the way of Caesar Salad.

Many people won't remember that Yanyu had a dish called "Big Duck," and it was just a small portion of Peking Duck - if I remember correctly, already formed into pancakes and dressed inside.

18 hours ago, Simul Parikh said:

Awww ... but then you don't get the guy chopping it up at your table. It's the best part! I guess he could chop it up and give you some and then go on to another table.

An octogenarian will carved you half a duck table-side at China Wok in Vienna/Tysons (arguably the best Peking duck in the metro area).

• Like 1

[I don't think you all realize how important these comments are. I mean, they won't solve climate change, but all of you are intelligent, experienced diners who know what they're doing, and you're sharing information that nobody knows about. Well ... it isn't Peking Duck, but let me steer you towards Royal Nepal in Del Ray, and the more Nepalese the dish, the happier you'll be (even their Samosas seem to be stuffed and fried in-house, likewise the Momo (notice how finely the vegetables are chopped) I recently mentioned Raaga, which also has Momo, but Royal Nepal's is better). My post will be deleted since it's off-topic.]

On 5/10/2017 at 9:34 AM, hopsing said:

I add my vote to China Wok's Peking duck.  That old guy is a gem!

This has been our goto place for several years. Lots of other great dishes on the menu as well. Try the spicy cabbage chicken, tofu and eggplant hotpot and pork with dried bean curd.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:56 PM, DonRocks said:

Peking Duck is going the way of Caesar Salad.

Many people won't remember that Yanyu had a dish called "Big Duck," and it was just a small portion of Peking Duck - if I remember correctly, already formed into pancakes and dressed inside.

You can still get this as the best of both worlds - Spices in Cleveland Park - is owned by the same people who ran Yanyu and they carve it in the main dining room (often to the side of the room and not tableside - more utiliatarian, less show), present it on portioned pancakes with slices of meat and skins, but you add your own sauce, and you can ask if you want the carcass to gnaw on and take home for soup. When Yanyu closed years ago, they added the Big Duck and a few others items to the Spices menu. I've always been a big fan of the Big Duck.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Scott Johnston said:

This has been our goto place for several years. Lots of other great dishes on the menu as well. Try the spicy cabbage chicken, tofu and eggplant hotpot and pork with dried bean curd.

So far, I've also tried the tofu and eggplant hotpot and pork with dried bean curd.  Both really good.  Plus some battered fried shrimp dish that was terrific.