Furniture Removal - Arlington, VA

Rovers2000

I'm looking to have a big three piece sectional couch removed and disposed of as we have a replacement coming.  I debated putting it on Craigslist for free, but really don't want to deal with the hassle that could turn into and am willing to pay for the certainty that someone shows up on time, has their own crew and truck, and is in and out relatively quickly with minimal hassle for me and my wife.

Has anyone used a company and had good results?

If you don't mind throwing it out with your trash, see if they take it:

"Trash & Recycling - Where Does It Go?" on recycling.arlingtonva.us

Note on the right side of the page, Arlington County recommends donation (Goodwill, Salvation Army) to avoid waste. I've personally dealt with both, and you can arrange for them to pick things up. If there are no holes or bugs in it, I'm sure they'll find a family that will be happy to have it. I have used both these companies with good results - they "come, grumble, and go." I would tip the driver $10 just because he's not making a lot of money, and he's doing you a service, but it's not an obligation - I always say something like "Hey, I'd like to buy you and your friend a soda."

If you want to donate, I second Rocks's recommendation for the Salvation Army for pick-up.  They hauled a lot of stuff, including some furniture, out of my house last summer.  If you think the couch is in too rough a condition to donate, I've had very good experiences with 1-800-Got-Junk for junk removal.  I've used them a number of times over quite a number of years (including last summer) and I've always been satisfied.  They accept a wide array of items.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions - I hadn't even contemplated Goodwill / Salvation Army b/c I didn't realize they actually did pick up.  The couch is probably in good enough shape for them to take it so I'll start there before moving on to the other recommendations.

Make sure to get a receipt for your taxes ("Diamond-studded sitting piece upholstered with handwoven silk fabric and gold inlay.")

Just to circle back, I ended up using 1-800-Got-Junk b/c of the tight delivery timeframe for the new furniture and the lack of space to have 2 big sectional couches sitting in my basement at the same time.   I scheduled the appointment on Wednesday evening, they arrived at 3pm on Friday and took about 45 minutes.

It was a positive experience, the two guys who showed up couldn't have been nicer and really busted their humps to get a very unwieldy 3 pieces of furniture out of my basement without doing any damage to the house for a reasonable cost.

• Like 3